Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Can someone repost those cartoons of the families that had to pay like 2% less into their RRSPs each year or whatever? The unedited versions :)

Edit: Dog tax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
america but whatevs

https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/909872834343837697

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
https://twitter.com/johnpasalis/status/909881347371622401

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol were this week's numbers awful?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Of course, we'll know if the people involved in that decision start selling off personal real estate assets, right?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadian debt to earnings up to 168%, not as bad as Hong Kong and China.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bis-debt-gap-1.4294989

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

From the consumer facing side:
Q1. How Do I become a REALTOR® and Join This Gravy Train?
A1. Go Here

Q2. What do I do if my REALTOR® fucks everything up?
A2. lol find a lawyer cause we're not going to do anything

The tweet one:
Q3. How can I find out about the most current real estate market conditions?
A3. The Toronto Real Estate Board issues news releases twice a month, including a full statistical update on market conditions at the beginning of each month. The Toronto Real Estate Board no longer publishes a mid-month statistics news release. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The link in the answer to the statistics just gives you red text that they aren't going to publish the statistics anymore. :laffo:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/09/13/toronto-real-estate-board-shuts-down-local-man-s-data-project.html

Toronto Real Estate Board shuts down local man's data project

After publishing a visualization of trends in Toronto's housing market, Shafquat Arefeen received a cease-and-desist notice from the TREB, which represents 45,000 realtors.

Shafquat Arefeen just wanted to understand the housing market better.

The 26-year-old financial data analyst saw that the Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) had made aggregated data publicly available — but he wanted to develop his own insights. Using information released by TREB in early July, he published a visualization of trends in Toronto's housing market.

Readers loved it. His website, which does not have ads, got 13,000 visitors in the first month the visualization was available.

TREB did not love it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jet sanchEz posted:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2017/09/13/toronto-real-estate-board-shuts-down-local-man-s-data-project.html

Toronto Real Estate Board shuts down local man's data project

After publishing a visualization of trends in Toronto's housing market, Shafquat Arefeen received a cease-and-desist notice from the TREB, which represents 45,000 realtors.

Shafquat Arefeen just wanted to understand the housing market better.

The 26-year-old financial data analyst saw that the Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) had made aggregated data publicly available — but he wanted to develop his own insights. Using information released by TREB in early July, he published a visualization of trends in Toronto's housing market.

Readers loved it. His website, which does not have ads, got 13,000 visitors in the first month the visualization was available.

TREB did not love it.

"Which does not have ads" that's retarded, he was doing it to attract clients. A friend actually did a similar type of project for a buddy except it was completely private. It's hugely valuable to them, they can see which areas are trending up or down in sale price and days on market, share their 'advanced knowledge' with their clients, see the whole history of a property house including re-listings, what the average discount the opposing selling realtor ends up giving and stuff like that.

For fun, it's neat to see who the most despisable double dippers are and whether they seem to favor the buyer or seller (by comparing discounts when they double dip vs when they sell to another realtor or buy from another). Also fun is looking at the market as a whole, as expected there's like 2-5% of realtors making most of the sales and the rest barely making a living. It also gave me a new angle to hate realtors from, the fields are all text so when they enter their commission they put in things like "three%".

It's hard to overestimate how much damage it would do to the industry if that data became open.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba posted:

Hello! I'm a kiwi living in Auckland, which also has the same housing bubble bullshit as Toronto. I've got a 2 year working holiday visa for Canada and I'm looking at rents in Montreal. If I'm able to find a job that even pays just 75% of what I'm earning now (and NZ is not known for it's high wages) I can live like a loving king.

namaste faggots posted:

If you can't speak french, forget trying to find work.

NZAmoeba posted:

I'll know I've truly made it as a Canadian when CI calls me a loving moron.

I don't speak French, I've started learning though. I'm a SysAdmin looking for work in some kind of SaaS company

namaste faggots posted:

You're not going to find a job in Montreal.

Subjunctive posted:

This is pretty deeply untrue within software fields, fwiw.

namaste faggots posted:

lol ok

Kind of mad CI ate a 1 month probation just now because I wanted to rub in his face how wrong he was. I now have a job offer in Montreal at a really cool company for a sum of money not too far off what I was earning back in NZ. It's the second job offer I received, but I turned down the first one because I didn't like where their office was located. :smugdog:

I also used that first job offer to bump up my offer at the second place.

edit: and rents here are still stupid cheap in my eyes, though I'm told AirBNB is loving that up here as well a bit.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 19, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

NZAmoeba posted:

Kind of mad CI ate a 1 month probation just now because I wanted to rub in his face how wrong he was. I now have a job offer in Montreal at a really cool company for a sum of money not too far off what I was earning back in NZ. It's the second job offer I received, but I turned down the first one because I didn't like where their office was located. :smugdog:

CI started this thread in early 2013 with "Housing is really expensive in Canada" and calling a crash for the next almost 5 years. You're welcome to throw your quarter into the fountain at the base of the 400 ft marble statue commemorating CI's wrongness. And congrats on the job and moving to probably the funnest city in Canada.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

NZAmoeba posted:

edit: and rents here are still stupid cheap in my eyes, though I'm told AirBNB is loving that up here as well a bit.

Welcome to Canada, coming from a rinky-dink place like Auckland and living in a great place like Montreal must be an amazing experience.

Be prepared for the winter, buy a really good winter jacket with the money you are saving.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

After coming from New Zealand, what's it like being able to afford food?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Montreal rules, you're lucky, well done.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Congrats on not doing what 99.9% of Kiwis and Aussies do on working holiday day visas which is go to Whistler or Banff.

Also if you are a dude your chances of getting attached and never going home is pretty high.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
drat, I was planning on heading to NZ because there is way more rope work available at much better rates than Canada, but you aren't kidding. Housing is right hosed down there. :psyduck:

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I remember looking at Aukland and thinking "huh, rent is really cheap there" before noticing that everything is listed by the week.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

Congrats!

I'm curious is it a smaller company? Maybe a Quebecer can help out here, aren't there some rules around language in the workplace that differ as a company gets larger? That could have an impact.

Personally I know a few people that went from Vancouver to Montreal to work at Ubisoft, but returned because they expected everything to be in English but were surprised at the amount of French in every day use and were caught flat footed by that. Ubisoft is an enormous company though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Canada flagged as hidden $14 trillion credit bubble stokes global crisis fears

quote:

The world’s top financial watchdog has uncovered US$14 trillion of global dollar debt hidden in derivatives and swap contracts, a startling sum that doubles the underlying levels of offshore dollar credit in the international system.

The scale of this lending greatly increases the risk of a future funding crisis if inflation ever forces the U.S. Federal Reserve to tighten in earnest and drain worldwide liquidity, potentially triggering a dollar surge.

A forensic study by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) says enormous liabilities have accrued through FX swaps, currency swaps, and “forwards.” The data is tucked away in the “footnotes” of bank reports. “Contracts worth tens of trillions of dollars stand open and trillions change hands daily. Yet one cannot find these amounts on balance sheets. This debt is, in effect, missing,” said the BIS analysis, written by the team under Claudio Borio, the chief economist.

:bignews:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

McGavin posted:

After coming from New Zealand, what's it like being able to afford food?

OH MY GOD THIS

I just spent six weeks there and when I got back and saw that I could buy a cucumber for under $5 I almost cried.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Femtosecond posted:

Congrats!

I'm curious is it a smaller company? Maybe a Quebecer can help out here, aren't there some rules around language in the workplace that differ as a company gets larger? That could have an impact.

Personally I know a few people that went from Vancouver to Montreal to work at Ubisoft, but returned because they expected everything to be in English but were surprised at the amount of French in every day use and were caught flat footed by that. Ubisoft is an enormous company though.

:ohdear:

It actually is Ubi, but I came here with the intention to learn. Plus they do offer lessons.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Rime posted:

drat, I was planning on heading to NZ because there is way more rope work available at much better rates than Canada, but you aren't kidding. Housing is right hosed down there. :psyduck:

I was doing very well for myself in NZ, but considered living without flatmates to be a completely unaffordable luxury.

I'm probably eating like Mr Moneybags over here because my view on the price of food is just completely skewed. I'm going to be interested in how my budget turns out once I have a regular income and outgoings again.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HookShot posted:

OH MY GOD THIS

I just spent six weeks there and when I got back and saw that I could buy a cucumber for under $5 I almost cried.

Food is so much cheaper here in general but produce in NZ is much more seasonal than it is here. When stuff is out of season gently caress you will be paying for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NZAmoeba posted:

It actually is Ubi, but I came here with the intention to learn. Plus they do offer lessons.

Definitely take the lessons.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Femtosecond posted:

If your company is larger than 50 employees, it is expected to conduct its internal business in French, including (heavily subsidized) French lessons for everyone else. How heavily this is enforced depends on whatever inspector visits, and I guess some of them are especially anal retentive because I've had jobs where IT refused to install bilingual software in English because I am francophone.

(Thankfully, because programming essentially requires admin rights, there's always ways around this. But I would happily punch the language inspector who would try to force me to use Visual Studio in French.)

As mentioned, this is considerably different in software, where the lingua franca is English to begin with, and high demand and so many external hires force a much more common usage of English because no one has time to wait for everyone to learn French. Science, commerce, law and the like are near exclusively handled in French internally, so good luck finding anything without speaking it already. Even bilingual Anglophones get (silently) discriminated against. It's not great.

But hey, housing is cheap! For now! Foreign investors have started turning their hungry gaze to the local market and prices are going up because housing has been such a great, ever increasing investment in Vancouver and Toronto, right!?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was told any implication that language inspectors are stupid, that the language laws could possibly be impractical, or that any discrimination against Anglophones exists, were all foul English perfidy. Please apologize for your slurs against the great and distinct nation of Quebec at once!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

Food is so much cheaper here in general but produce in NZ is much more seasonal than it is here. When stuff is out of season gently caress you will be paying for it.

Yeah, apparently shipping in food from California and Mexico year-round isn't a super viable option over there.

I asked one local if there's a secret to produce in the winter, and she was like "nope I just basically don't eat fruits or vegetables until spring"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Or you could just consume canned or frozen veggies like everyone else who lives in a post-1840 world? Do they not grow fruits or veg in Australia?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife always wants to move to NZ when she gets upset at the housing or job markets or politics here. I keep having to convince her that all the things she hates about Canada/BC are worse in NZ.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Or you could just consume canned or frozen veggies like everyone else who lives in a post-1840 world? Do they not grow fruits or veg in Australia?

I have no idea why food in NZ is so expensive, most of the fruits and veg were shipped in from Australia.

Cheese is actually somehow less expensive in Canada than in New Zealand, a feat that until three years ago when I first went there I thought was impossible.

And yeah, I just ate a bunch of frozen corn/peas.

edit: though I would pay all the dollars for Puhoi Valley white chocolate and caramel milk. That stuff is the dairy equivalent of crack cocaine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

I have no idea why food in NZ is so expensive, most of the fruits and veg were shipped in from Australia.

Cheese is actually somehow less expensive in Canada than in New Zealand, a feat that until three years ago when I first went there I thought was impossible.

Oh... oh dear. Cancelling my plans to investigate employment in NZ, brb.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I thought the only jobs in Montreal were for mimes and patisserie owners.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I thought the only jobs in Montreal were for mimes and patisserie owners.

Also language inspectors to make sure the patisserie owners aren't speaking too much English or writing English words on their signs, either of which would of course render their products ritually impure.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
C.I was fired from his mime job for being insufficiently french.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HookShot posted:

And yeah, I just ate a bunch of frozen corn/peas.

edit: though I would pay all the dollars for Puhoi Valley white chocolate and caramel milk. That stuff is the dairy equivalent of crack cocaine.

You probably are already accounting for it but GST is built into all prices in NZ and isn't added on at the till like in Canada. It doesn't account for nearly all of it but it does make it look way worse if you just look at the marked prices.

Puhoi Valley products are amazing. My wife is from Canada and was just happy that you can actually get 10% creamer in NZ now from them last time we visited.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There's no GST on basic produce like dairy, meat, fruits, vegetables, or canned goods.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, as McGavin said we don't have GST on fresh grocery stuff :)

But yeah, if Puhoi Valley somehow got distribution here I would just die of happiness. NZ destroys us for good dairy. The Lewis Road Creamery chocolate milk is really nice, too. I love Australia/NZ style custard, too.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

The intention to learn is good and that makes a big difference. I suspect some of my ex coworkers that came back had no intention to learn and assumed that everything would be in English and that's why they bailed.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HookShot posted:

But yeah, if Puhoi Valley somehow got distribution here I would just die of happiness. NZ destroys us for good dairy. The Lewis Road Creamery chocolate milk is really nice, too. I love Australia/NZ style custard, too.

Yeah we don't but NZ does. I was thinking food in general not just fresh produce etc. Its all more expensive there. NZ also only has a gst of 15% rather than our provincial plus GST combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

I hate food derails but it really does boggle me that the rear end-end-south-pacific loving penal colonies maintained a stronger European culinary tradition than Canada did. :wtc: