Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I know Mad World was a bit simple and repetitive but it does what it sets out to do very well imo, the gameplay is underrated

Also fun fact - it was written by the writer of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story lol

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 22:36 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I know Mad World was a bit simple and repetitive but it does what it sets out to do very well imo, the gameplay is underrated

Also fun fact - it was written by the writer of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story lol

NAME ONE THING THAT ISN'T BETTER GROUND UP AND INJECTED BETWEEN THE FOLDS OF YOUR SCROTUM

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

John DiMaggio's voice makes anything magical.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qegQcqMxhwg

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'd kill for a Mad World re-release.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Speaking of relationships in games, the game that shocked me with how much I enjoyed the relationship stuff was Wolfenstein: the New Order and sequels. Despite being a wolfenstein game, they did a really good job making you believe these two people were legitimately in love.

My other Little Thing in that game was the all of it. Seriously, The New Order had no right to be as good as it was.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
After I beat Yakuza: Like a Dragon, I played Persona 5 Strikers. At one point, one of the party members is outside a movie theater and talks about how much she wants to see the new Dragon: Like a Yakuza movie. That made me laugh harder than a silly throwaway joke should have.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Speaking of relationships in games, the game that shocked me with how much I enjoyed the relationship stuff was Wolfenstein: the New Order and sequels. Despite being a wolfenstein game, they did a really good job making you believe these two people were legitimately in love.

My other Little Thing in that game was the all of it. Seriously, The New Order had no right to be as good as it was.

I was extremely satisfied that they let you actually get to brutally murder the poo poo out of your dad instead of having you going "you're not worth it" or some poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

John DiMaggio's voice makes anything magical.

Greg Proops and John DiMaggio made that game amazing.

Iiiiitssss RODEO TIIIIIIME!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was at the Castle with Cait in Fallout 4 and suddenly she starts humming along with the music on radio liberty.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Greg Proops and John DiMaggio made that game amazing.

Iiiiitssss RODEO TIIIIIIME!

NOBODY SAID THERE WOULD BE ANY MATH!

I blame our schoooooools!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

My favorite Disco Elysium call-out is a moment of tension where you beg for a little more time to solve the case, but an NPC responds by contemptuously listing several irrelevant side quests you’ve spent time doing instead of investigating.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Disco elysium is seriously one of the best rpg ever made, top 3 easily. It's insanely good and there's so many details. Something I appreciate is how it actually reacts to things you do, even if it's often just small things or comments by npc, like doing a quest in a certain sequence or looking at certain things. A simple, throwaway line in a convo might unlock several new ones with entirely different characters, it's impressive. Ive played it through 3 times so far and each time I find more small things. Only in my last walk through I met the Sunday friend and cunos dad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I too, enjoyed the litany of Contact Mike

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Contact Mike is actually a really good example of how the devs did that kind of writing. The subject comes up in response to a single line in a single conversation somewhere (gated behind a fairly low passive check IIRC), and then as soon as you read it there the game unlocks a ton of lines referencing the subject across the entire drat game (including after karaoke) to turn it into a running joke. They do that with everything.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There’s a point where you’re investigating a potential drug ring in the area, and have to talk to a bunch of people to find leads. One of the characters tells you that he thinks drugs are cool, or not cool if you’re not into it. You can then respond by agreeing or disagreeing, but if you agree and then disagree you get a different line of dialogue where he remarks that you have conflicting feelings on drugs which is also cool

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just finished Disco Elysium, and I feel like I did most of the stuff. But it appears I missed a whoooole bunch of quests and characters, from what I've read. Never did a vision quest, never found Cuno's dad, never did anything with Joyce, etc, etc.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This is worth doing. The story and quest acting is the biggest strength of the game and shouldn’t be missed, so just faceroll the gameplay on easy mode

My personal favourite moment in the Witcher 3 was being attacked by a big flying enemy (can't remember the name now) and getting ready for this epic showdown on a small island. As I pull out my silver sword the creature tries to land and fell into the sea dying instantly.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The “vision quest” is more of a politics-oriented thing. Whatever ideology you’re subscribed to will start a quest line for you on the morning of the fourth day.

Cuno’s dad requires passing an empathy check with Cuno and then earning his trust in the following conversation

For Joyce, it’s more that you can learn about the Pale from her if you pass a check, which is much easier if you internalize the Jamais Vu thought. You can then later talk to the pale driver and learn more about what her deal is

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bony tony posted:

I just finished Disco Elysium, and I feel like I did most of the stuff. But it appears I missed a whoooole bunch of quests and characters, from what I've read. Never did a vision quest, never found Cuno's dad, never did anything with Joyce, etc, etc.

I half-suspect people are just making things up, much like BioEnchanted keeps playing games that didn't actually exist until they started playing them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vanguard Warden posted:

Contact Mike is actually a really good example of how the devs did that kind of writing. The subject comes up in response to a single line in a single conversation somewhere (gated behind a fairly low passive check IIRC), and then as soon as you read it there the game unlocks a ton of lines referencing the subject across the entire drat game (including after karaoke) to turn it into a running joke. They do that with everything.

The best Contact Mike thing is a huge dialog option involving it popping up during one of the most earnest heart to hearts in the game, that being talking with Acele.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

God Hand was a work of art and Mad World was not exactly great to play (fuckin' waggling) but a lot of fun

christmas boots posted:

I too, enjoyed the litany of Contact Mike

you, the person reading this post right now, should play disco elysium

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

you, the person reading this post right now, should play disco elysium
I think that screenshot has actually convinced me

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I love Disco Elysium but still think the worst thing about it is the rolling for checks.

I know, often the failures are just as entertaining and can potentially open up new avenues. And sometimes the failures do nothing, forcing you to level up to try again, or hurt you, making it far more likely that you're just going to savescum because you gain nothing from it otherwise.

Just do it Fallout NV style: if I have enough of a stat, I pass. If I don't, tell me that, and then I can choose to fail to see what happens. Plus the dialogue choice can be different too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I love Disco Elysium but still think the worst thing about it is the rolling for checks.

I know, often the failures are just as entertaining and can potentially open up new avenues. And sometimes the failures do nothing, forcing you to level up to try again, or hurt you, making it far more likely that you're just going to savescum because you gain nothing from it otherwise.

Just do it Fallout NV style: if I have enough of a stat, I pass. If I don't, tell me that, and then I can choose to fail to see what happens. Plus the dialogue choice can be different too.

I'd normally agree but Disco Elysium is basically a visual novel so it really doesn't matter, and it 100% fits the character to just occasionally gently caress up the most trivial thing he's supposed to be good at, and to occasionally have a moment of brilliance via some completely inexplicable fluke, so it worked for me this time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Morpheus posted:

I don't know, some of my favorite checks where the the ones like running away from my tab or trying to come up with a name where by all rights my stat was high enough to let me pass and then watching in horror as I fail them. Absolutely priceless experience imo. You could probably do this to the white checks just fine since they mostly just gate content but leave the red checks as they are

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone mentioned earlier missing Cuno's dad, and how you have to pass a check with Cuno to see that. So...if you get unlucky, you just end up not seeing chunks of the game? And this isn't even a choice about not having an empathic character, you could have a really excellent score in that stat but since you rolled like a three or something, you simply get locked out of a bit of the game.

Like, that's not just having a conversation go in a different direction. And I'm not saying all content should always be available to a character - I would just prefer a more player-driven approach to what you get to see, rather than a luck-based one.

And so it wouldn't even matter if you chose to replay the game, to see more stuff, since you could simply...fail the check again and again get hosed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Someone mentioned earlier missing Cuno's dad, and how you have to pass a check with Cuno to see that. So...if you get unlucky, you just end up not seeing chunks of the game? And this isn't even a choice about not having an empathic character, you could have a really excellent score in that stat but since you rolled like a three or something, you simply get locked out of a bit of the game.

Like, that's not just having a conversation go in a different direction. And I'm not saying all content should always be available to a character - I would just prefer a more player-driven approach to what you get to see, rather than a luck-based one.

And so it wouldn't even matter if you chose to replay the game, to see more stuff, since you could simply...fail the check again and again get hosed.

Not really. The checks that lock you out of stuff, which are very limited, require stats to be really good to succeed, and that means you will likely have deliberately specced into them. If you aren't playing someone with high Empathy, there is no reason whatsoever you should be able to access that storyline when it requires an empathetic approach. DE is not a game that you play for "completion", it is an organic story that is one of the true "role playing" games I've seen. I played it once and never will again, because I don't want to tarnish the experience I had with it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well what they mean I think is that even with high Empathy it's possible to roll really poorly (like snake eyes) and still get locked out, but in addition to leveling the skill there are modifiers that open that check back up too so you get more than one shot at it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Well what they mean I think is that even with high Empathy it's possible to roll really poorly (like snake eyes) and still get locked out, but in addition to leveling the skill there are modifiers that open that check back up too so you get more than one shot at it.

Yeah, you don't get one shot and that's it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Disco Elysium is one of those rare games where the more you gently caress up the more fun you have.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think I messed up on my first Morale check, and lost all my confidence and spent the rest of my life under a bridge yelling obscenities at passers by

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think games in general try to avoid setting it up so that players might not see All The Content They Paid For (especially because publishers are constantly against that)

DE has rabbitholes that some players go down and other players never realize exist, and that's fine if not really in line with the medium at large. gives you excuses to replay in the future (if the fact that they didn't just drop a free update that added voice acting to the entire game wasn't excuse enough)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Having beaten the game I understand now how hard it is to actually get stuck, but when I was playing through blind the combination of the possibility of death, the unpredictability of the conversations, and not really understanding that it would inject new options each day made it more stressful than it was probably intended to be.

Or maybe I just wanted Kim to respect me that much :(

I did resist the urge to savescum checks, though (mostly).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bony tony posted:

I think I messed up on my first Morale check, and lost all my confidence and spent the rest of my life under a bridge yelling obscenities at passers by
Yeah, but how'd you do in Disco Elysium?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Man, with Hades, AC Odyssey, Fenyx Rising and Rome Total War Remastered I am feeling quite catered to.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Morpheus posted:

The game is a little subtle about it, but Disco Elysium actually does do some checks in the FO:NV style. There's basically three different kinds of checks:
  • Red check dialogue options, where the game performs a single roll (2d6 + modifiers against a target value) to see if you pass or fail and the story is different depending on which outcome you get.
  • White check dialogue options, which are the same as red checks above except that failure doesn't typically do anything and you can just try again whenever the check unlocks (typically by raising the skill).
  • Passive checks which happen automatically to determine what your voiced skills chime in to say, or whether they speak at all. A lot of them don't even show up as a failure if you're too low, they're just invisible unless you meet the requirements. These are always just 6 + modifiers, no dice roll.

The red checks are fine, because it's not like failing is 'bad', it just goes in a different direction than expected. There's an early red check for Conceptualization to invent a name for yourself that I have actively save-scummed in order to fail because the failed outcome unlocked a thought I wanted and was way more interesting to me.

White checks are obviously the weakest, because you never really fail them rather than just putting off the successful check until later, but there are still a lot of white checks that will play around with that to some degree beyond just spitting out "LOL try again" dialogue. Failing the check in the courtyard to approach the body obviously leads to a thought and more dialogue and honestly feels like the intended route with how many bonuses to the check you get after failing it the first time, and I've seen at least one other white check where failing it with the right thoughts/items on hand leads to one of your head-voices immediately going "gently caress that poo poo, here's a +1, try it again and pass this time".

Vanguard Warden has a new favorite as of 22:31 on May 6, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, but how'd you do in Disco Elysium?

:thejoke:

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

This post is dedicated to all the best rpg companions; the dogs.

Rex

Repede

Koromaru

Would love to hear about any other good boys I might have missed or forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Debunk This! posted:

Would love to hear about any other good boys I might have missed or forgotten.

D-Dog counts, as MGSV is fundamentally one of the truest rule-playing games ever made