Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished off my start collecting box.

Now I have just shy of 40 eBay rescue miniatures to strip and clean up to start bolstering the rest of the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A friend of mine ordered musou black to paint with.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Maneck posted:

There was a post on Badger's Facebook page a few days (weeks?) back saying that they had switched back to an old supplier for their primers. It was mealy mouthed "due to supply restrictions, we used an equivalent but the product is the same but yes, we're announcing we've switched back!". And now I can't find that post.

I'd take that as a confirmation that they've been selling a different product for some period of time and that there have been complaints.

Edit: Found it:

Oh those sods. I think I’m done with badger in general, I waited 8 months for them to deliver a sotar during one of their sales and when I got it the nozzle tip was cracked. I thought I was going insane until I found those old pink and red bottles and suddenly everything sprayed fine.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mr Teatime posted:

Oh those sods. I think I’m done with badger in general, I waited 8 months for them to deliver a sotar during one of their sales and when I got it the nozzle tip was cracked.

Exact same thing happened to me. And the customer service sounds like a confused dude in a shed. Very odd company.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Army Painter's version of Contrast out next year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRem63CbLms

I'm aware their paints are a bit hit and miss but this might be worth an experiment.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If they have a pink that's actually pink that alone will be pretty cool.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am i missing something about contrast paints? Isn't this basically a glaze?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah it's a glaze + marketing. but some of the GW contrast paints are super good (like apothecary white), so I'd expect army painter to have a few as well that are convenient and nice to have

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

punishedkissinger posted:

Thicker with a deeper recess tint.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Army Painter's version of Contrast out next year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRem63CbLms

I'm aware their paints are a bit hit and miss but this might be worth an experiment.

I'm surprised they didn't clean up the models for that intro. They seem to suffer the same problem Contrast has with some random spots. I've generally really liked contrast, but I would love an alternative with the same effect that doesn't leave a few of these on a model requiring you to do a touch up pass after it dries. I've got a giant pile of 3D printed terrain I plan to contrast paint soon, and that's the part I'm most dreading, touching those spots up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have about 7 Contrast paints and they're far from a glaze. They're more a normal layer paint with a lot of medium mixed in to thin them out, but to make a glaze of them you still need to add a lot more medium, like 5:1 or more depending on the shade.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Contrast paints are highly pigmented and have a high amount of medium and flow. You end up with a transparent paint that runs into recesses very easily while tinting the surface. I use them as base colors in almost all of my painting, as they have extremely high coverage, which practically eliminates the necessity of second or third coats, and they allow nearly instant highlighting if you have a solid zenithal undercoat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ready for beast huntin'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been getting really pleasant pastels and greys by using contrast and then highlighting with a mix of that same contrast and conventional white:

(WIP, obviously)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love using contrast paints to make metallics more interesting.

Some time this weekend I'm going to try a drybrushed zenithal then some contrast paint and see how it works then maybe do up the Krieg that way to fire them out quickly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love using contrast paints to make metallics more interesting.

Some time this weekend I'm going to try a drybrushed zenithal then some contrast paint and see how it works then maybe do up the Krieg that way to fire them out quickly.

Yeah I'm planning on doing that for my Marines. Zumikito has a good YouTube video on doing that without an airbrush and the results he gets are really good.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warhammer underpants vampire done. Not entirely satisfied. I like the face, but the armor is kind of a mess. I can't really paint armor good.

Oh well, time to paint some more armored models until I get good at it.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Not 100% done but pretty pleased with the consistency in the targeting lenses and I'm ready to gently caress up some blank areas with free-hand. Also I didn't realize how German this guy looked until I painted the 3 squares.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yeah I'm planning on doing that for my Marines. Zumikito has a good YouTube video on doing that without an airbrush and the results he gets are really good.

i have a billion wolves, looks like one is going to be the tester. maybe itll be one of the direwolves cyberwolves

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Warhammer underpants vampire done. Not entirely satisfied. I like the face, but the armor is kind of a mess. I can't really paint armor good.

Oh well, time to paint some more armored models until I get good at it.

I think that looks great and the face is ace.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just putting some base layers down and I'm pretty unhappy so far with how it's turning out. The concept is Ork Kommandos wearing urban camo in the woods because Orks. I think there's too much greyscale and brown which muddles the figure (great for camo tho, probably) so I might have to try something else entirely or maybe just go pure arctic camo to make it stand out more? Possibly a couple bright highlight colours on the gun and other bits to break things up.

E: dang that's a blurry photo

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 12, 2021

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Eej posted:

Just putting some base layers down and I'm pretty unhappy so far with how it's turning out. The concept is Ork Kommandos wearing urban camo in the woods because Orks. I think there's too much greyscale and brown which muddles the figure (great for camo tho, probably) so I might have to try something else entirely or maybe just go pure arctic camo to make it stand out more? Possibly a couple bright highlight colours on the gun and other bits to break things up.

Personally I always hate a model when I put down base colors. It only comes together after a few rounds of highlights.

I would make the ork skin really vibrant green, to provide some contrast to the more “realistic” equipment and probably make the base less green so you don’t overdose on it. Maybe something autumn forest-ish with reds, yellows and browns?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Camo is meant to blend in, so it's going to look muddled. You can drive up the highlights on the skin, gun, and backpack to compensate. And really drive them up. Also can make the hat a nice accent color too

Or add in some small sponged dots of white in places to brighten the average color of the camo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eej posted:

Extremely blurry :v:

I agree with Winklebottom though that I think with a few highlights to add a bit more contrast and it'll pop much better. Also blacking out the base rim should help because right now it just blends in with everything else. I'd saturate the grass/moss/whatever that is a bit more too, and maybe a richer red-brown for the leather accents

I like the concept of "wrong camo because Orks" though :)

and the white-balance for the booth looks a bit off which is probably exacerbating things?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Trying out a really simple BA speed painting scheme I came across, and I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted it to be grimy and grim, and it took maybe 30 minutes total. Shouldn't be bad for knocking out a squad of intercessors at a time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
For 30 minutes that's amazing. Great textures and contrast, and accomplishes what you wanted.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a local guy painting some Genestealer Cult and doing varied skin tones. He asked me for help on doing the genestealer-tinted skin with an African skin tone. Any tips? Normally my go-to for shading dark skin is already a purple wash so we're having trouble thinking of how to make it apparent they're a normal person but shifted slightly to purple from the genestealer shenanigans.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Floppychop posted:

There's a local guy painting some Genestealer Cult and doing varied skin tones. He asked me for help on doing the genestealer-tinted skin with an African skin tone. Any tips? Normally my go-to for shading dark skin is already a purple wash so we're having trouble thinking of how to make it apparent they're a normal person but shifted slightly to purple from the genestealer shenanigans.

Add some brighter red wash to the purple to create a more unbalanced magenta, maybe?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Mix a little purple into the base skin color perhaps?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Floppychop posted:

I would try using purple grey highlights over a base coat of dark brown red with a black wash.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I want to illustrate something about contrast paints that will hopefully change the minds of a few people still on the fence about them.

This took about 20 minutes of work, using entirely contrast paints (minus the metal of course). This is before any highlights, washes, details and cleanup. If you have a solid underpainting (typically but not necessarily applied with an airbrush) you can get really solid, tabletop-level results in very, very little time using contrast paints (or more specifically, highly pigmented transparent paints).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

There's not a whole lot of videos or tutorials on this, which is super sad. There's a wide variety of skin tones out there and every big name tutorial paints white dudes. There's more tutorials about zombies.

Purples, reds, browns for more darker skin. Even pure black for the darkest shadows here, but used sparingly. My favorite base color for this is vallejo ww2 german camo brown, then layered up with chocolate and a tiny bit of chocolate mixed with khaki for the main highlights. Purple washes for the shadows, red glazes on some of the areas like elbows where the skin is more thin. I did a small dive on how to paint this by looking at pictures of Idris Elba and Sam L Jackson.

Browns, yellows, khakis for lighter skin colors. I don't have any good suggestions for this as I haven't really messed with it yet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished the ganger, maybe another hour of work.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's not a whole lot of videos or tutorials on this, which is super sad. There's a wide variety of skin tones out there and every big name tutorial paints white dudes. There's more tutorials about zombies.

Purples, reds, browns for more darker skin. Even pure black for the darkest shadows here, but used sparingly. My favorite base color for this is vallejo ww2 german camo brown, then layered up with chocolate and a tiny bit of chocolate mixed with khaki for the main highlights. Purple washes for the shadows, red glazes on some of the areas like elbows where the skin is more thin. I did a small dive on how to paint this by looking at pictures of Idris Elba and Sam L Jackson.

Browns, yellows, khakis for lighter skin colors. I don't have any good suggestions for this as I haven't really messed with it yet.

We've figured out darker skin well enough for tabletop, he has a good percentage of his guardsmen painted as such. We've just hit a blocker with genestealer tinted variants. We're priming some bits to try out some of the suggestions in the thread.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Whoops my bad, i misread the request. For alienish type skin, what about trying a really saturated purple, like hexed lichen, and some brown contrast like snakebite leather? Then with more neon pink super highlights?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd start with mahogany as a base and increasingly add lilac each level of highlights, stopping when it looks right.

I'll try this quick on a spare head and report back...

E: first attempt was a brown mess that looks more like a Drow elf than a Black person with alien DNA. I'll keep at it.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 13, 2021

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got a gaming con coming up, and I actually get to play some D&D for once, so I spent an evening painting a mini for it.

It's a Gnome Wizard from Stonehaven Miniatures. Also, I forgot to paint the base rim, yes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Woo, squad painted up real quick.

Mostly dry brushing with a few edge highlights.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Woo, squad painted up real quick.

Mostly dry brushing with a few edge highlights.

Looks excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Whoops my bad, i misread the request. For alienish type skin, what about trying a really saturated purple, like hexed lichen, and some brown contrast like snakebite leather? Then with more neon pink super highlights?

Snakebite over purple should come with a warning that it’s the glossiest brown you’ll ever see. Great for painting a horribly accurate lacquer on models of early 20th century furniture