Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

The Matrix series is a really good analogy for SC. Both come from a relatively good idea, both were stretched out into incoherent gibbering by idiots, both have an inexplicable fanbase insisting they're the best thing ever. Main difference is The Matrix series got completed, but few analogies are perfect.

Agreed. But, best of all, The Matrix series (and I use that term loosely, as I refuse to acknowledge anything past the only movie, except Seraph) had a lead actress, who was, in fact, actually an actress. (Actually, more than one, but you get my point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Official 3.0 will be so far off what they showed as 3.0 work in progress one loving year ago, and Citizens will swallow it and be thankful for it.

Few, if anyone, will also remember that they expected miracles from 3.0 or at least gameplay and technology that would prove that SC is light years ahead of anything else. And they instead received a flaming turd, still bearing the laughable label of "pre-alpha".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

In his defense, he DID say "seriously" and not "flared".

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Just because they show something on AtV that doesn't mean you'll ever get to play it.

See the last 3 years of presentations and shows made by CIG for more information.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A bunch of heretics in this thread. I'm appalled.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Loiosh posted:

I enjoy deep simulator games and always wanted to play a multiplayer game where I'd get actual human passengers and get to pilot them around.

I can recommend Farming Simulator. It even has working local physics grids, Multiplayer, Co-Op, Mods, Servers, Physics, Environmental Damage and is Non-PvP. You can also raise crops, tend and trade in livestock. Bonus: You can drive someone else around the Map in a Pick-Up Truck.

Though as in most games: Most gamers have no loving reason to spend their gaming time as passengers. Because it's loving boring.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

A bunch of heretics in this thread. I'm appalled.

The Stimperor infects!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Loiosh posted:

Tijana is mocking me for it, but that's mostly true. I enjoy deep simulator games and always wanted to play a multiplayer game where I'd get actual human passengers and get to pilot them around.

You're an idiot if you expect players to ride your space bus in a SPACESHIP GAME where EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN SPACESHIP.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

You see, in 4.0 instead of free-fly weekends, there will be free bus-ride weekends, to tempt the plebs who don't own a ship to bootstrap themselves into Citizenship and to encourage spaceship-pooling amongst the more environmentally-woke Citizens. Because with no mining in-game fuel prices will be ree-donkulous

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pcinvasion/status/858411206503256064

AP fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 29, 2017

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ripptide posted:

Didn't they also lose the new "networking savior code" from the 3.0 release? I know it's a very minor thing with an MMO, but hey....

Network engineer jammed his fingers in a door. Gonna be a delay.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:lol: "Is it a money pit?"

Why are people so far behind the times on this? It's been a money pit for years, money goes in, nothing but crap comes out.

Edit: And Lethality, as if it's surprising, is first to comment and immediately tell them how fud they are being. :D

Edit 2: The loving comments in the actual article are loving brilliant. :D

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 29, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love how Derek is brought into everything. He hasn't even made a movie, but this terrible movie is still better than his game because they are both

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

With Chris Roberts, the equation has always been the same: the more money he gets, the more money he needs. The reason in 2017 is the same as the reason was in 1998 - Chris Roberts knows nothing about game development. For every dollar he takes in, he promises ten dollars worth of features. Therefore, the more money he makes, the farther the game gets pushed back.

There's no worse person in the world that could have been put in charge of this project, but at the same time, no other person touches the special place in an autist's brain that leads them to open their wallets in quite this way. It's an interesting place Star Citizen is in, where the leader is what makes it both possible and impossible at the same time.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 29, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

X-Ultron posted:

The Matrix in space already exists in the much better, actual game Saints Row 4.

SR4 also features another one of CIG's staples: T-posing commandos:

I actually really liked SR4. It was pretty much the best homage to The Matrix than any licensed Matrix game ever did.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wow, lethality is getting slower, it took him a full 30 minutes for him to read your post and then go do damage control.

Isn't he an Aussie? (no doxx Derek, pls). I can't imagine a better way to start a Sunday than to scan the web for miscreants being rude to SC.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 29, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Golli posted:

You see, in 4.0 instead of free-fly weekends, there will be free bus-ride weekends, to tempt the plebs who don't own a ship to bootstrap themselves into Citizenship and to encourage spaceship-pooling amongst the more environmentally-woke Citizens. Because with no mining in-game fuel prices will be ree-donkulous

Environmentally-woke? Chris is modelling space pollution? So the more I fly around the sooner the heat death of the universe occurs? AMAYZING!

I am buying the Goonist package IMMEDIATELY!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

With Chris Roberts, the equation has always been the same: the more money he gets, the more money he needs. The reason in 2017 is the same as the reason was in 1998 - Chris Roberts knows nothing about game development. For every dollar he takes in, he promises ten dollars worth of features. Therefore, the more money he makes, the farther the game gets pushed back.

There's no worse person in the world that could have been put in charge of this project, but at the same time, no other person touches the special place in an autist's brain that leads them to open their wallets in quite this way. It's an interesting place Star Citizen is in, where the leader is what makes it both possible and impossible at the same time.

The worst. Bar none.

I wrote this earlier today on my forum

quote:

As to the 428 employee/contractor claim...

A well placed source and I were on a call yesterday; and he tells me that those numbers are somewhat close; and do in fact include all the third-party teams & companies. Those external third-parties are paid varying monthly (in some cases) fees. While he couldn't testify to the veracity of the 428 number due to not knowing how many people at the third-parties are working on the project, he tells me that he knows with certainty that as of last week, there were a little over 300 people (btw this [url="http://"http://i.imgur.com/5fqTqpt.jpg""]slide showing 363[/url] is from Aug 2016) working at the four primary studios (CA, TX, GER, UK). He also says that they still have a difficult time hiring quality people who want nothing to do with this train-wreck; and that most of the studios are a revolving door of talent which are replaced by under-qualified people who need to be brought up to speed on a five year project.

The pace of the development is attributed to all the R&D, issues with the engine etc. Notice how they have made little to no progress on the content side either.

And as of last week, they were still struggling with LumberYard because it's now become clear that merging their custom work with it, has proven to be more laborious than expected - and that it would take the better part of 2017 and well into the middle of 2018 to do what they want to do. There has been talk of completely scuttling their Star Engine, but some of the custom work is integral to the game design, and that work isn't implemented in LumberYard in any form. Nobody knows what that is; but my guess would be the scene sizes, and possibly some editor customization.

In 2016, aside from the dud that is Star Marine, they only released GrimHex, and some ships. The art pipeline itself is slow because key artist/modelers keep leaving; to be replaced by people who have to be brought up to speed all over again. I mean, they lost an entire team of 20+ content creators when Behavior Interactive exited the project in Dec.

They are spending most of their resources on visuals (ship concepts, models, commercials, R&D vertical slices etc); and in doing so, the key and more important areas such as Star Citizen and SQ42 suffer in part.

Note also that since he went from indie to a full blown triple-A production, those 300+ people are probably still insufficient; compared to the fact that most triple-A studios have over 500 people working on a single Triple-A project; let alone two in tandem.

This particular source doesn't share much, but each time he does, he has been 100% on the money. So I am inclined to believe him when he tells me that they have over 300 people working at these studios, thus pegging their burn rate between $3m - $4m per month.

It should also be noted that from the 2015 financials, F42-UK alone [url="http://"http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/page/2/#post-5064""]burned through over $20 million[/url] - while reporting a loss (!). We won't have the 2016 numbers until later this year, seeing as they routinely file late. From those numbers, it's very easy to extrapolate the burn rate across the other three studios; especially since most of the highly paid execs on the US side are in CA and TX.

All of this adds up to the recent fund-raising shenanigans, the latest newsletter (which puts the onus on backers, instead of CIG) etc.

The project is never - ever - going to see the light of day. And the whales who still keep propping it up are in for a rude awakening before long. I haven't seen anything that would make me change my opinion on this. In fact, all signs point to a project that's going to be scuttled in the short-term. And it is highly unlikely that SQ42 as promised, will ever see the light of day.

As I mentioned in my earlier missive, this is all kinds of bad news.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Wow, lethality is getting slower, it took him a full 30 minutes for him to read your post and then go do damage control.

Isn't he an Aussie? (no doxx Derek, pls). I can't imagine a better way to start a Sunday than to scan the web for miscreants being rude to SC.

No, he's in the UK. Do you want his details? I have them in a dossier. :grin:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

No. Everytime I go gently caress with him on Twitter, I have too much fun seeing him as the guy from the WoW episode of South Park.

You know, this chappie...

Telling me more would ruin the fantasy.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
It's weird CIG said they lost 20 contractors from Behaviour when every previous time they were mentioned they were said to have 60/80 people working on the project.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

https://www.pcinvasion.com/chris-roberts-pleads-for-more-money?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

:ohdear:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Samizdata posted:

No. Everytime I go gently caress with him on Twitter, I have too much fun seeing him as the guy from the WoW episode of South Park.

You know, this chappie...

Telling me more would ruin the fantasy.

This is how I see him when he's defending SC:

And here he is away from his home:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Sabreseven posted:

:lol: "Is it a money pit?"

Why are people so far behind the times on this? It's been a money pit for years, money goes in, nothing but crap comes out.

Edit: And Lethality, as if it's surprising, is first to comment and immediately tell them how fud they are being. :D

Edit 2: The loving comments in the actual article are loving brilliant. :D

I'm the guy comparing CR's words to the Bible and the "haters" as the devil.

Also, how can you have "hiding spoilers" and open development? Maybe I'm just being the devil or some other form of evil deity.

quote:

LOL! Paul Younger is misinformed, or has not been following the project from "a front seat" as he claims. It's not true that "[...] they have raised more than 150 million." He also interprets Chris Roberts' words as the devil interprets the Bible ... I also read that newsletter, yesterday, and never got the impression that CR "pleads for more money". Also, the reason they haven't showed us much from Squadron 42 (yet) is because - as they've said repeatedly - they don't want to spoil the experience.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Sabreseven posted:

When you can't Cosplay as Superman or Ironman go with a South Park meme :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

I'm the guy comparing CR's words to the Bible and the "haters" as the devil.

Also, how can you have "hiding spoilers" and open development? Maybe I'm just being the devil or some other form of evil deity.

What I like is that any and all critisism must be factually perfect, every single thing must be checked and double checked, linked to source, before a negative opinion is considered 'valid' no matter how small the complaint may be.

Any and all critisism that isn't absolutely perfectly worded and does not include a disclaimer that "Even though I have one small gripe or doubt, I love SC with my body, soul, mind and wallet and have recruited at least 100 new cadets into the faith of CR and remortgaged twice" is treated and pointed out as "Misinformed". :D

Any and all "hey that could be neat" or random interest is met with "PLEDGE HERE, USE MY REFERAL CODE, WELCOME TO THE VERSE, BUY AN IDRIS, THE GAME IS PERFECT, DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE!!" and at no point is the new person told about the long dev time, the delays, the cut bits, the constant "fuckedupagain-gate".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Barely 4 years ago this month, 04/22/2013 Chris Roberts: I can be more profitable than AAA games on a fifth of sales

quote:

"In the old model as a developer I would have captured 20 cents on the dollar," Roberts said. "Ultimately that means I can make the same game for a fifth of the revenue, a fifth of the sales, and I can be more profitable, and I can exist on lower unit sales. I think that's good for gamers, because crowdfunding and digital distribution are enabling more nichey stuff to be viable. It's also allowing gamers to have their voice heard, and have their influence earlier in the process. You don't really have your input into how Call of Duty's being made."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/858435605335752704

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858366173444009984
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858420619683278848
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858378878217310212
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858379003455041540
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858379425666269187

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen: both possible and impossible at the same time

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:lol:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

What do they compete in, who can clip through a door the fastest?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The thing is that whales - back in 2015 when I gave them 90 days to shutdown based on what we were hearing - were determined to wear me out with the harassment, attacks, review bombing my games, creating a hate-sub on Reddit etc.

So they kept spending and propping up the game in order to "prove Derek Smart wrong" and maybe they thought I'd quit. Those clowns have no clue what OCD is.

So the more they kept spending to prop up this train-wreck, the more CIG disappointed them.

So now, seeing the funding drive, they're pretty much worn out their wallets because there isn't a single gamer on this planet who is going to take one look at this freaking train-wreck and say "yeah, amma go give them money".

They're hosed. I win. The End. :grin:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

Hate to say it, but...

:golfclap:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Ack! I thought we were talking about obey-the-fist or James Brand (aka DisturbedJim)! Lethality is in Florida.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 30, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Ack! I thought we were talking about obey-the-fist! Lethality is in Florida.

For him? Well, visit about any adult baby/scat site.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Ashes of Creation? That's the planned title for the GDC post mortem of Star Citizen after it imploded, right?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bit of a post from Asp Explorer on Fdev again regarding trademarks which I found funny :

quote:

Asp Explorer Said :
This one however, overflows my lulzbucket

quote:

STAR CITIZEN Trademark Information
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
Motion picture films featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe; downloadable motion pictures and television shows featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe; downloadable videos featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe
Film and video production and distribution; production and distribution of motion pictures; production and distribution of television shows and movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A "personal" email from Crobberts that actually said "to paraphrase JFK"

Peak whale was late 2016.