Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
The places I've worked haven't been nearly as bad as what y'all are experiencing. We know the holiday season will be slow so anything big is held off until afterwards, clients or whoever given ample notice, and/or we usually have some semblance of "cover" for one another in our team.
There was one job that was a bit more hectic when trying to plan for those extended breaks but decently manageable. Guess I've been lucky so far. *knocks on wood*

Also, I'm glad I found this thread recently cause it's so entertaining to read through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s now the Wednesday of the week before Christmas and I’m honestly surprised we still have any of the European upper management still in the office, never mind the country. Trying to get as little done as possible before vacation. Cannot wait to set an away message and deal with things later.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

harperdc posted:

It’s now the Wednesday of the week before Christmas and I’m honestly surprised we still have any of the European upper management still in the office, never mind the country. Trying to get as little done as possible before vacation. Cannot wait to set an away message and deal with things later.

Don't forget that the first step to "dealing with things" after a long holiday is select all -> mark as read

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

taqueso posted:

never believe tucker

any of them

I was extremely joking, I guess I didn't make it obvious enough

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why are executives obsessed by dashboards? Do they think they’ll be able to see the company going over budget in real time?

Your company is not a car.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I was accidentally 20 minutes late to my one hour career planning meeting with my boss. Whoops. Good thing we already had my 45 day review and that went extremely well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hoodwinker posted:

I was accidentally 20 minutes late to my one hour career planning meeting with my boss. Whoops. Good thing we already had my 45 day review and that went extremely well.

Career plan: Take it easy, hoss.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

Why are executives obsessed by dashboards? Do they think they’ll be able to see the company going over budget in real time?

They are afraid of delegating oversight but also afraid of details

E: they like tableaujobs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FrozenVent posted:

They have no idea what they're doing and love anything that lets them pretend that they understand something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

They have no idea what they're doing and love anything that lets them pretend that they understand something.

Our dashboards guy put in his two weeks' notice, and they just loving threw piles of money at him.

He doesn't work evenings, doesn't work weekends, isn't part of the on-call rotation, and doesn't work with any high-availability systems, and if he's not the most well-paid person in the department, he's definitely in the top three.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FrozenVent posted:

"Why didn't you know about this?!" is the #1 weapon execs use to backstab one another. The thought is with dashboards they can know about, or someone on their team will, or they can blame the dashboard/the team when they don't. So basically:

FAUXTON posted:

They are afraid of delegating oversight but also afraid of details

E: they like tableaujobs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I was extremely joking

me too friend, me too

though it might still be good advice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
last day of work today for two weeks :cheers:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lazy goddamn Americans

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lazy goddamn Americans

i just personally killed a cancer patient

with a gun, naturally, because :911:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/1206961547312009217?s=21

quote:

The toll of a layoff — both mentally, and on a person’s material conditions — can’t be overstated. Sarah Kelly moved from Kansas City to D.C. and worked as an editor for the Washington Post Express, the paper’s commuter edition, for five months before she was laid off. Kelly has been laid off from five jobs in the last six years. She says the cumulative effect of the layoffs has been traumatic enough that she has to address it in therapy. “The Express layoff destroyed my already strained ability to trust the ground beneath my feet. I have no reason to trust anyone in management at even the most reputable outlets,” she told me. “I can’t plan my life more than three or four weeks at a time. It’s severely affected my ability to develop my skills, find mentors, and cultivate a professional network. I’m always forced to reinvent myself in the first job I can find. And I never even get to stick around long enough to get good at that job before the bottom drops out again.”

:ohdear:, I hope her position’s properly covered.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ugh I was just goaded into doing the current viral "chair challenge" in my office and I discovered in like 2 seconds it's completely based on the size of your feet, not gender.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Post shitcanned the Express commuter paper a couple of months ago. It was a freebie that they gave away at metro stations for morning commuters. While I’m sad to see it go, the writing was on the wall when the iPhone came out. Terrible luck for that person, though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I wouldn't call it luck, even back in the early 2000s it was clear that you couldn't make a long-term career out of being a journalist. It's a dying profession and the olds will hold on to the few well paid positions left until they are laid off or they die.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Konstantin posted:

I wouldn't call it luck, even back in the early 2000s it was clear that you couldn't make a long-term career out of being a journalist. It's a dying profession and the olds will hold on to the few well paid positions left until they are laid off or they die.

Rory Gilmore would never make a bad decision!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If the boss says "no cover" claim you thought they meant to not cover for them :-)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Time off for Christmas? No, cover!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i just personally killed a cancer patient

with a gun, naturally, because :911:

Breaking FOX News report: Handguns cure cancer!

I need to get out of my current job. The work itself is fairly enjoyable, the pay and benefits are pretty good. The rest is utter shite. I think my breaking point was getting passed over for a promotion for a position I was already doing 50% of. If not then, it was definitely two weeks later when said recently promoted idiot wrote a slur against a legally protected class, in the open, in the customer's building and was punished with....a harshly worded email to the entire group.

I'm currently throwing applications at the wall in the hopes that something will stick, but somehow I keep failing any employment assessment I take over the course of a decade and change. I've tried being honest, dishonest, random answers, etc. As a test, I have even copied the answers almost exactly of someone else who passed the same assessment and been rejected. I'm this close to seeking out postings requiring specialized degrees for non-specialized entry-level positions and applying to them out of pure spite.

Also the time another coworker came in looking half-dead and casually mentioning "oh LOL yeah I've had MRSA for a week and the antibiotics don't seem to be working so I might go to the hospital later". He couldn't understand why people were telling him to get the gently caress out. It's just a highly contagious infection with potentially life-threatening complications guys.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 19, 2019

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:same: surprisingly not drunk yet though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that the ops team are sorry for the oversight and they are now covering urgent issues like they are supposed to.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
My boss walked in this morning and said she's grateful for me and impressed by my skill. Sometimes the grass is greener (work is still work though)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

knox_harrington posted:

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that the ops team are sorry for the oversight and they are now covering urgent issues like they are supposed to.

Yes, I am sure they ARE all sorry they are being subjected to oversight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Everyone who's been in the corporate world longer than two months automatically eyerolls at the word "urgent"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If it was really urgent I'd have been called about it imo

Sometimes I'm called and it's not really urgent but nothing urgent comes through email

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ugh I was just goaded into doing the current viral "chair challenge" in my office and I discovered in like 2 seconds it's completely based on the size of your feet, not gender.

What's the gist of this? This is the first I've heard of it

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The only viral challenge I accept is coming into work sick the day before christmas vacation and seeing how many people I can cough or sneeze on.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Everyone who's been in the corporate world longer than two months automatically eyerolls at the word "urgent"

Every matter is urgent until I need something from the person asking for it, then suddenly it's no big deal and they'll get back to me next week/month/never.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hoshi posted:

What's the gist of this? This is the first I've heard of it

You take 3 steps back from a wall (exactly 3, toe-to-heel), and then lean your head against the wall with your back at a 90 degree angle. Then you put a chair below you, and pick it up and hold it to your chest. Then you attempt to stand back up.

The big headline that makes it a viral office trick is, "Women can do it but MEN CAN'T!!!!" which is probably because women's feet are on average smaller than men's, so they don't take as large a step back from the wall, and are leaning forward instead of back - if you're leaning back it's really, really hard to stand back up. But if you move your feet forward just a few inches it's suddenly really easy, so it's super obvious that's why it's happening.

I feel dirty for getting sucked into it, but I always want to know why these things actually work. I figured it out pretty quick, partly because my feet are a bit small for a guy. Everyone else is talking about how it's based on how men and women's center of gravity is different, but no, that's all bullshit, it's 100% feet size.

Here, if you want to torture yourself: https://www.tiktok.com/tag/chairchallenge

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

women's feet are on average smaller than men's, so they don't take as large a step back from the wall, and are leaning forward instead of back - if you're leaning back it's really, really hard to stand back up.

Women lean back instead of forward, right? Which means their center of gravity is not somewhere in front of their feet. If your center of gravity is in front of your feet, you're not getting backup. Picking up a chair is probably enough for most people to shift your center of gravity in front of you enough that you're not unable to straighten up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You take 3 steps back from a wall (exactly 3, toe-to-heel), and then lean your head against the wall with your back at a 90 degree angle. Then you put a chair below you, and pick it up and hold it to your chest. Then you attempt to stand back up.

The big headline that makes it a viral office trick is, "Women can do it but MEN CAN'T!!!!" which is probably because women's feet are on average smaller than men's, so they don't take as large a step back from the wall, and are leaning forward instead of back - if you're leaning back it's really, really hard to stand back up. But if you move your feet forward just a few inches it's suddenly really easy, so it's super obvious that's why it's happening.

I feel dirty for getting sucked into it, but I always want to know why these things actually work. I figured it out pretty quick, partly because my feet are a bit small for a guy. Everyone else is talking about how it's based on how men and women's center of gravity is different, but no, that's all bullshit, it's 100% feet size.

Here, if you want to torture yourself: https://www.tiktok.com/tag/chairchallenge

It's because men have a higher center of gravity. A woman's center of gravity is in her pelvis, a man's is in his chest. When a woman bends at 90 degrees, she isn't shifting her center of gravity as much. :biotruths:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That may all be true but this trick is 100% predicated on feet size, and by extension, how large of a step you take back from the wall. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Nice try, but I'm not falling for your trickery. :v:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Yeah nice try but I'll never demonstrate my monstrous feet for my coworkers

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

who is covering urgent work while people are picking up chairs with their feet? smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Today's the last day of a two week window for performance reviews so my boss is doing the entire team today.

I got a very enthusiastic and positive "meets expectations" with zero mention of a raise or bonus or even COL.