Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Warrior got fired three different times (in 91, 92, and 96) for his poo poo and Michaels had several different planned comebacks during the Attitude Era (where he would have made shitloads of money) aborted because of his poo poo, so it's hard to say that they didn't get held back by their behavior.

Shawn also got away with a LOT of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Shawn also got away with a LOT of poo poo.

So has Teddy Hart compared to his lot in life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Only because he's too much of a pissant to deal with. All ROH could do was not book him. So they did.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Any conversation about the mishandling of Low-Ki needs to be prefaced with the fact that he is notoriously difficult and literally got dragged out kicking and screaming like a child from a wrestling show he was working once.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't Vince pissed because he wanted Michael McGuilicutty to win it and then the Genesis promo happened and they had to give to Kaval?

The winner was determined by a fan vote at the time (as a shoot) so I think it was out of everyone's hands at that point.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

John Cena posted:

The winner was determined by a fan vote at the time (as a shoot) so I think it was out of everyone's hands at that point.

I believe this also explained why Johnny Curtis won NXT 4, which was built around Brodus Clay.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
"You're the brokest rich guy I ever met" was the best thing Brodus ever said. It described Ted Jr perfectly.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

WeaponX posted:

Any conversation about the mishandling of Low-Ki needs to be prefaced with the fact that he is notoriously difficult and literally got dragged out kicking and screaming like a child from a wrestling show he was working once.

When? Where? Why? :)

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

budreck posted:

When? Where? Why? :)

Cross post from the Carnies thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487630&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post406760828

Complete with picture of him being hauled away.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Did video ever get leaked of that?

And thanks for the corrections on the Warrior and Michaels, though I guess I'd point out I wouldn't consider "drinking a lot" to be quite the same as "stabbing people in the back." (And were they talking about bringing Michaels back from his back injury? Because I thought that really wasn't on the table at that point.)

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 14, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

Did video ever get leaked of that?

And thanks for the corrections on the Warrior and Michaels, though I guess I'd point out I wouldn't consider "drinking a lot" to be quite the same as "stabbing people in the back." (And were they talking about bringing Michaels back from his back injury? Because I thought that really wasn't on the table at that point.)

Consider this: HBK and Jannetty were such partyboys they got cut from the 1980's WWE roster. It's not like it was a one night thing.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Rodney the Piper posted:

(And were they talking about bringing Michaels back from his back injury? Because I thought that really wasn't on the table at that point.)

They had several angles in 1999 and 2000 that were supposed to lead to Michaels returning in a major capacity and ultimately wrestling, but kept getting sent home because he was impossible to work and/or unable to perform.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

They had several angles in 1999 and 2000 that were supposed to lead to Michaels returning in a major capacity and ultimately wrestling, but kept getting sent home because he was impossible to work and/or unable to perform.

The most notable was prior to WM X7.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Other than for his wallet, it was probably for the best. His body got time to actually heal up from like 15 years of abuse, and being sent home repeatedly likely taught him to cool off that poo poo and led to the comparatively more chill HBK we have now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wow that's the first I heard of that. Do you have any details on what the rough plans were?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Wow that's the first I heard of that. Do you have any details on what the rough plans were?

I believe WMX7 was supposed to be HHH vs HBK rather than HHH vs UT.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I believe WMX7 was supposed to be HHH vs HBK rather than HHH vs UT.

If I remember right, Triple H was supposed to go over Undertaker at WrestleMania but got to do the job as punishment for vouching for Shawn. It might seem odd, but keep in mind, the Streak wasn't THE STREAK yet, and early 2001 Triple H may have been the best in the world at the time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TL posted:

If I remember right, Triple H was supposed to go over Undertaker at WrestleMania but got to do the job as punishment for vouching for Shawn. It might seem odd, but keep in mind, the Streak wasn't THE STREAK yet, and early 2001 Triple H may have been the best in the world at the time.

As a fan, it really sucked being teased about Shawn coming back, only to hear about him loving up his chance. It was really frustrating at the time.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

HulkaMatt posted:

This is so overblown. He's going for his cartwheel kick spot in the corner after an irish whip and Dolph just stops running and turns into it.

Yeah, I always saw that as more Dolph's fault than anyone's. Just a miscommunication in the end however.

Low Ki is an rear end in a top hat, but he was (and still is) a very talented dude. Seeing him get over with his in ring work alone and watching a guy like Curt Axle go down in flames says plenty IMO. I get why you'd rather have a Wade Barrett type, but give me a thousand tantrum throwing midgets over someone who can't get the crowd to do poo poo except go piss.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

Yeah, I always saw that as more Dolph's fault than anyone's. Just a miscommunication in the end however.

Low Ki is an rear end in a top hat, but he was (and still is) a very talented dude. Seeing him get over with his in ring work alone and watching a guy like Curt Axle go down in flames says plenty IMO. I get why you'd rather have a Wade Barrett type, but give me a thousand tantrum throwing midgets over someone who can't get the crowd to do poo poo except go piss.

Have fun getting those midgets to do a job.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

I'd bribe him with boot lifts.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Just put them on NXT.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

The most notable was prior to WM X7.

What were the other ones? I wasn't watching at the time and didn't realize there was even talk of him coming back before he finally did return.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Who thought up the Biker Undertaker gimmick, why did they do it, and why did they switch back to the more traditional gimmick?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bigass Moth posted:

Who thought up the Biker Undertaker gimmick, why did they do it, and why did they switch back to the more traditional gimmick?

Not sure who thought it up, they did it because everything was becoming "More real" in that time and the Undertaker couldn't be the Deadman in an era of "We're shooting, totally."

It came back because they felt Biker had run its course, and as it turns out, The Undertaker is the best gimmick in professional wrestling and he can sell that poo poo to anyone, no matter the decade.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, he was edging towards Bikertaker at the end of his last Dead Man run. Talking more and giving Learning Tree-ish promos (the Big Show in the desert promo comes to mind). Then he got storyline suspended for reasons I can't remember, and when he came back he was a biker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You're not a real man until you've carried a motorcycle on your back through the desert.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, he was edging towards Bikertaker at the end of his last Dead Man run. Talking more and giving Learning Tree-ish promos (the Big Show in the desert promo comes to mind). Then he got storyline suspended for reasons I can't remember, and when he came back he was a biker.

If I recall correctly, he got legit injured in 1999 and was out for a year, wasn't he? That was why they storyline suspended him.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 14, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zack_Gochuck posted:

If I recall correctly, he got legit injured in spring 1999 and was out for a year, wasn't he?

Groin injury in September 99, then tore a pectoral muscle in Jan 2000 just before he was scheduled to come back at the Rumble.

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I've never heard this/can't remember it. Could anyone elaborate further?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure it was The Undertaker himself who wanted that gimmick since it's basically just what he's like in real life. Vince supposedly hates it though and it's a subject you're never supposed to bring up in front of him.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DGib posted:

I don't recall any specifics, but I imagine his April 2000 return for his school's promotion was gearing up for a WWE run.

Jericho's second book has a story from early 2001 where Shawn ends up passed out in the back before being fired. He also passed out from "dehydration" at his school later that year.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DGib posted:

Shawn appeared sporadically in 1998 and early-1999 around to keep him in the mix. In late-1998, he turned on DX and joined the Corporation and was named WWF Commissioner, which was supposed to lead to his in-ring return as a heel against face DX, but he had more back problems (allegedly) so they had the Corporation turn on him and wrote him out after he re-aligned with DX as a face. Then he came back in summer 1999 in the face Commissioner role, but turned heel and superkicked The Rock in a special ref role to help heel Triple H retain the title. That was supposed to lead to a Michaels vs. Rock program and Michaels's return as the top heel, but Michaels got sent home for "personal reasons" and it went nowhere. Michaels then showed back up as the face commissioner in spring 2000, ultimately refereeing the Triple H/Rock Ironman match as a way to lead to a return to the ring as a top face feuding with the McMahon-Helmsley Faction, but shortly after that match Michaels got sent home again, this time vacating the commissionership which was how we got Commissioner Foley. Then they brought him back to TV for one last attempt around the end of 2000/beginning of 2001, to build to the WrestleMania X-7 match with Triple H, but Michaels got sent home after I think like two appearances and they didn't even start the angle. Somewhere shortly after that point he went and found religion and got himself cleaned up (at least the wrestling version of cleaned up) and had his big run from 2002-10 with few problems.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What was up with Carlito's entrance theme always being really minimal and lovely, even when they were intermittently pushing him? In contrast to literally everyone else in the company, Carlito had a vocal sample and then about 40 seconds of a really lazy Caribbean-ish loop, and then it was so short it usually repeated by the time he got to the ring. Was it just Jim Johnston being :effort: and they never fixed it? When watching old shows from the post-Attitude era, it really sticks out, especially because they were focusing way more on real full-length songs at the time.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Had no idea he was planned to come back this much. The only one I saw live was the one where he came back, superkicked vince and refereed the Iron Man match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

What was up with Carlito's entrance theme always being really minimal and lovely, even when they were intermittently pushing him? In contrast to literally everyone else in the company, Carlito had a vocal sample and then about 40 seconds of a really lazy Caribbean-ish loop, and then it was so short it usually repeated by the time he got to the ring. Was it just Jim Johnston being :effort: and they never fixed it? When watching old shows from the post-Attitude era, it really sticks out, especially because they were focusing way more on real full-length songs at the time.

I've always wondered this. I think in either the 08 or 09 Rumble, it does repeat, but I could be wrong there.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

I guess Jason Sensation as HBL "dropping the ball" fits the late 98 part as HBK was off TV shortly after this promo
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhF08jf6lQ

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did the Road Warriors really create the idea for Zubaz?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zubaz

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bigass Moth posted:

Did the Road Warriors really create the idea for Zubaz?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zubaz

Yup! They pitched the idea of comfortable pants for working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Shawn appeared sporadically in 1998 and early-1999 around to keep him in the mix. In late-1998, he turned on DX and joined the Corporation and was named WWF Commissioner, which was supposed to lead to his in-ring return as a heel against face DX, but he had more back problems (allegedly) so they had the Corporation turn on him and wrote him out after he re-aligned with DX as a face. Then he came back in summer 1999 in the face Commissioner role, but turned heel and superkicked The Rock in a special ref role to help heel Triple H retain the title. That was supposed to lead to a Michaels vs. Rock program and Michaels's return as the top heel, but Michaels got sent home for "personal reasons" and it went nowhere. Michaels then showed back up as the face commissioner in spring 2000, ultimately refereeing the Triple H/Rock Ironman match as a way to lead to a return to the ring as a top face feuding with the McMahon-Helmsley Faction, but shortly after that match Michaels got sent home again, this time vacating the commissionership which was how we got Commissioner Foley. Then they brought him back to TV for one last attempt around the end of 2000/beginning of 2001, to build to the WrestleMania X-7 match with Triple H, but Michaels got sent home after I think like two appearances and they didn't even start the angle. Somewhere shortly after that point he went and found religion and got himself cleaned up (at least the wrestling version of cleaned up) and had his big run from 2002-10 with few problems.

Wow, thanks. I remember all his returns but I never knew that they were planned as jump-off points for an in-ring return. I always just thought his back was hosed and they were tossing him some non-wrestling angles because he was under contact.

What could have been, huh?

DGib fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 14, 2013