Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Throatwarbler posted:

The Yukon/Suburban/Expedition all start at $60k

They also have shockingly high resale after the initial hit. If you get a low-option Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon and have a prime interest rate, you could conceivably take out an 72-month loan, maybe even 84-month, on a new one and basically never be under water if you don't beat the poo poo out of it and/or put on moon miles.

Speaking of resale, anybody check out use prices on the latest TRD Pro 4Runner and Taco? That may be the (lack of) depreciation crown right now. You can buy a new one and basically drive it for free for 2-3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Speaking of resale, anybody check out use prices on the latest TRD Pro 4Runner and Taco? That may be the (lack of) depreciation crown right now. You can buy a new one and basically drive it for free for 2-3 years.
Coincidentally also the amount of power they have. Otherwise I'd own one. loving Toyota. Figure out how a turbo works.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EnergizerFellow posted:

They do seem to keep their value astonishingly well. I'm not sure if this is regional or not, but the 1st gen Ford Raptor has kept it's value as well, at least compared to what dealers are selling them for. 2013 Raptor MSRP 54K, with 52K miles on it selling for 42K 5 years later. Before the 2nd gen came out I saw dealers listing used Raptors at MSRP with 70K+ miles on them.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

They do seem to keep their value astonishingly well. I'm not sure if this is regional or not, but the 1st gen Ford Raptor has kept it's value as well, at least compared to what dealers are selling them for. 2013 Raptor MSRP 54K, with 52K miles on it selling for 42K 5 years later. Before the 2nd gen came out I saw dealers listing used Raptors at MSRP with 70K+ miles on them.

Raptors do hold their value exceptionally well for a Ford.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

cool startup feel posted:

Raptors do hold their value exceptionally well for a Ford.

It's a case of Ford listening to what their customers wanted conceptually and actually making it in numbers (same for the Wrangler Rubicon). "Build it and they will come" and all that. Ford also did the same with the new Expedition/Navigator and now Ford is in the enviable position of not being able to make them fast enough to meet demand (shortest days on the lot number in the automotive industry right now).

GM at least seems to be responding with pricing to move metal on their big SUVs. I'm already seeing LTZ/Premier Suburbans for sub-$60K now that dealers are panicking. I might just pick one up myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sanchez posted:

Mid-high teens for the F150 vs 20-25 combined for the A6? That's a lot more than 8.7%, these buyers will be upset if gas prices rise close to $4 again.

It's 21 combined vs 23 combined.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nissan trucks are also an incredible deal, they're way cheaper than Toyotas new for a comparable vehicle and hold their value just about as well.

Their cars are a loving joke but Nissan's BOF vehicles tend to be good, if not quite good enough to get out of Toyota's shadow.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

Nissan trucks are also an incredible deal, they're way cheaper than Toyotas new for a comparable vehicle and hold their value just about as well.

Their cars are a loving joke but Nissan's BOF vehicles tend to be good, if not quite good enough to get out of Toyota's shadow.

The resale value of my two previous Nissan Titans would like a word with you.

But seriously, they were both discounted to hilariously low prices, held their value fairly well, and were great, bulletproof trucks.

My pro-4x titan was a v8 4x4 crew cab, loaded with leather buckets, nav, DVD players for the kids, power everything, electronic locking dif, moonroof, god knows what else and I think I paid less than $35k for it, new. Of course I averaged 12mpg buuuuuuuut.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a great price for that amount of truck.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's 21 combined vs 23 combined.

You can get the A6 with a turbo four that moves the car plenty fast enough for most buyers in that segment, especially the sort who would be concerned about gas mileage.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can get the A6 with a turbo four that moves the car plenty fast enough for most buyers in that segment, especially the sort who would be concerned about gas mileage.

Sure, but why would you want to drive an A6 over a well-equipped F-150?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wheeee posted:

Because I prefer the size for city driving and especially parking, and have no use for a truck. Even on the highway I don't really enjoy how big the F150 feels. The better gas mileage would just be an additional perk.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

Because it’s vastly more comfortable, has an actually nice interior and is possible to park in more places (still on the big side)

That isn’t even getting into dynamics.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Bronco will presumably also have a Raptor version.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

Because it’s vastly more comfortable, has an actually nice interior and is possible to park in more places (still on the big side)

That isn’t even getting into dynamics.

New BOF trucks are really comfortable and the interior of top trim trucks is good - most people aren't stroking their dash plastics. None of the rest of this poo poo matters to the average American consumer.

You guys are wondering why some poo poo sells and when given an explanation you are all like "no that can't be it because I don't believe in or prioritize the same things!!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lmao they all ride like poo poo

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Makes hopping curbs easy as hell though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

New BOF trucks are really comfortable and the interior of top trim trucks is good - most people aren't stroking their dash plastics. None of the rest of this poo poo matters to the average American consumer.

You guys are wondering why some poo poo sells and when given an explanation you are all like "no that can't be it because I don't believe in or prioritize the same things!!"
All of this is true.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Across damaged potholed roads, nothing will ride well and the trucks insulate you more.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Horses for courses and all, but a friend has a couple year old Laramie Longhorn and I don’t find it especially comfortable. The interior is okay, but the detailing is chintzy (the saddle bag rear pockets? Jesus) and the floaty ride doesn’t really do it for me.

The question was why someone would buy an A6 over an F-150, and it was answered, and now you’re accusing the people answering of not understanding that people have different priorities?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

Across damaged potholed roads, nothing will ride well and the trucks insulate you more.

Around here that is literally all there is.

We're having massive flooding here in the midwest and entire roads are being washed away. Those that aren't have sinkholes as large as my car, no hyperbole.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They just aren't fast enough around the Ring!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

cool startup feel posted:

They just aren't fast enough around the Ring!

Haha, silly car buyers acting like they’re ever going to track their car, unlike truck buyers who totally need a truck for all of the loads of gravel and large boats they transport.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Haha, silly car buyers acting like they’re ever going to track their car, unlike truck buyers who totally need a truck for all of the loads of gravel and large boats they transport.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but around here I'd say 75% of all large trucks regularly (as in several times a year) tow or haul large items.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CornHolio posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but around here I'd say 75% of all large trucks regularly (as in several times a year) tow or haul large items.

I'd say that in the USA as a whole approximately 75% of all large pickup trucks/extended SUVs never once in their lifetime tow or haul large items, and another 15% do it twice a year or less.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I bet most of them don’t even use 4WD

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

regularly (as in several times a year) tow or haul large items.

That's, I dunno, kind of a low bar for owning a truck. Certainly beats trying to rent a ProMaster off ZipCar if your city has one, but less than once a month.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Can this meme die already?

"Unless you track it weekly nobody needs a sports car."

See how dumb it sounds? Grow the gently caress up. People but poo poo for all sorts of reasons, and a lot of the time emotions win over logic. If they didn't we'd *all* be driving Civics and Camrys.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Helping a friend rent a car. Budget now calls the fusion "standard" and the Malibu "full size" and a VW golf with winter tires "special" at twice the price of the other two.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Horses for courses and all, but a friend has a couple year old Laramie Longhorn and I don’t find it especially comfortable. The interior is okay, but the detailing is chintzy (the saddle bag rear pockets? Jesus) and the floaty ride doesn’t really do it for me.

The question was why someone would buy an A6 over an F-150, and it was answered, and now you’re accusing the people answering of not understanding that people have different priorities?

Yeah I mean you could as easily say ‘why buy an A6 over a top spec Accord or Avalon or whatever’

As for ride quality yeah I guess it depends on terrain.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You don't buy an A6 over an Accord unless you are actually retarded.

You lease the A6.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Vulgar interior, aggressive exterior, floaty ride, big motor. Yup, sounds like a classic American luxury car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any of those stupid Longhorn, King Ranch etc versions are going to be tacky as all poo poo. An F150 Platinum is a very comfortable place to be.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Can this meme die already?

"Unless you track it weekly nobody needs a sports car."

See how dumb it sounds? Grow the gently caress up. People but poo poo for all sorts of reasons, and a lot of the time emotions win over logic. If they didn't we'd *all* be driving Civics and Camrys.

I was responding to a dude who made a sarcastic comment about sedan buyers caring about ring times. The point was in fact that it’s a dumb meme no matter who it’s aimed at because, yes, a civic is the most car almost anyone needs, and neither huge truck nor German sport sedan is a very rational choice most of the time, economically or otherwise.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

You don't buy an A6 over an Accord unless you are actually retarded.

You lease the A6.

https://twitter.com/hoonable/status/966815600268935168

https://twitter.com/hoonable/status/966823568326709249

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enterprise standard is 200 or Jetta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8 2011+ F250/350/450s, 44 Ram 2500/3500/4500s in the same time period,
21 teslas in 2015/16, 18 porsches from 2009-2017.
Huge amount of BMW R1200G in 2014.

Page 75, 2015 infiniti grand cherokee.

e: subaru is 26 loving pages long. Volkswagen 28 pages long. 30% of lemons in New Jersey were a Subaru or Volkswagen.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 23, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

8 2011+ F250/350/450s, 44 Ram 2500/3500/4500s in the same time period,
21 teslas in 2015/16, 18 porsches from 2009-2017.
Huge amount of BMW R1200G in 2014.

Page 75, 2015 infiniti grand cherokee.

Yeah some of the model names don't match the manufacturers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Well you see, the German manufacturers appear to be over-represented on this list, however the reality of the situation is simply that German vehicle purchasers tend to be more discerning, and will of course put up a greater fuss if their vehicle is anything less than perfect.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I realize it's probably because sadly, nobody buys Mazda, but theres only like 10 of them on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The R1200GSA switched to water cooled in 2014, would explain a lot.

What I would like to know is why so many Subarus. I wish there was a description of why they were lemon lawed.