Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I initially scoffed at this but then doing the research it seems I've been overspending for a year, thanks for the heads up

I think when I signed up that EA Play only came with an ultimate sub but they've changed that now, also I was still transitioning off my XBone when I built the PC so I still wanted Xbox Gold

I think if you want to cloud stream you need ultimate too, but yeah for just PC you can save like $5/mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thank you so much for this

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i finally got and started playing pokemon violet and hoo boy the performance issues were not exaggerated, this poo poo feels like it's gonna brick my switch. the open world aspect is fantastic and i hope they keep taking the series in this direction, and i am enjoying it despite the massive issues, but man, they need more time or more/better developers or something for the next entry, because this really seems like a hell of a lot more than a 'switch is weak' issue. breath of the wild looked and ran a thousand times better than this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they need more time or more/better developers or something for the next entry,

well, they're not gonna get either of those!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just re-release all the old 2d pokemons and close the studio down

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

well, they're not gonna get either of those!

i mean, yeah.

it sucks because from a gameplay perspective, it rules. i'm not generally one to bitch about performance issues and it hasn't crashed or totally bugged out on me (yet), but maaaaaaaan what the gently caress, it feels like it's on the verge of doing either of those basically all of the time.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just re-release all the old 2d pokemons and close the studio down

re-release heartgold and soulsilver and also re-release the pokewalkers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like they're leaving literally billions of dollars on the table by not constantly re-releasing the old pokemon games. I would absolutely buy a handful of GBA and DS-era pokemons on like every nintendo system from here on out

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it sucks because from a gameplay perspective, it rules. i'm not generally one to bitch about performance issues and it hasn't crashed or totally bugged out on me (yet), but maaaaaaaan what the gently caress, it feels like it's on the verge of doing either of those basically all of the time.

I had these exact thoughts, but the game is fun enough that I don’t really notice the issues anymore. Until something really jarring happens, or if I take a break to play Elden Ring, that really makes the technical issues stand out. Good game though, it did well in the GOTY thread for a reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if only the localizers had added good dungeons!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like they're leaving literally billions of dollars on the table by not constantly re-releasing the old pokemon games. I would absolutely buy a handful of GBA and DS-era pokemons on like every nintendo system from here on out

this is also the case with wind waker and pikmin 1 and 2 and luigi's mansion and a whole bunch of other games

even just adding those systems and games in as a new switch online tier would make bank and they already have a wii (and therefore gamecube) emulator done, idgi. i am at least hopeful that the release of pokemon stadium coincides with a gameboy emulator and pokemon rby, otherwise what on earth is the point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am at least hopeful that the release of pokemon stadium coincides with a gameboy emulator and pokemon rby, otherwise what on earth is the point.
The point is that it’s a first party N64 game that people know and recognize.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Captain Toad is on sale. Is the Switch version good?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wizard2 posted:

Yeah i loved it. It looks great and the puzzles are really fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wizard2 posted:

it is a very relaxing chill game and you should play it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

wizard2 posted:

It’s ftw.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Looking at the 64 emulator and it still doesn't loving have Donkey Kong 64, what the gently caress is even the point of the service

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If they forced DK64 on people they’d have to lower the price

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Nice. Ill buy it shortly. Should I get the thing called Special Episode also or just the base game?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Unfortunately it is impossible to emulate dk64 on the switch because the switch does not have a slot for the memory expansion pak

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wizard2 posted:

Nice. Ill buy it shortly. Should I get the thing called Special Episode also or just the base game?

the dlc is just more captain toad so if you enjoy the game go for it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Donkey Kong 64 has an unlocked framerate and playing it on WiiU where it has a higher framerate makes it basically unplayable because the mini games are balanced around the fact that the framerate chugs

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

How is she going to know where to tan?

Limited run games has "Ara fell" and "Rise of he third power" combined physical. They look like snes/rpgmaker rugs, anyone know if they're fun or not?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the dlc is just more captain toad so if you enjoy the game go for it

cool

thanks everybody

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

wizard2 posted:

cool

thanks everybody

If you haven’t gotten it yet my counterpoint is that it’s incredibly easy, even by regular Nintendo standards. I like the concept but once you get past the cute charm there’s nothing challenging in the slightest. I definitely regretted the purchase in the end.

Fine game but just be aware what it is.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Have a hacked 3ds and pirate it ftw

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Saying Captain Toad is easy obviously means they never played the Mummy-Me Maze Forever level then.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you haven’t gotten it yet my counterpoint is that it’s incredibly easy, even by regular Nintendo standards. I like the concept but once you get past the cute charm there’s nothing challenging in the slightest. I definitely regretted the purchase in the end.

Fine game but just be aware what it is.

i mean, super mario world is by a very wide margin the easiest mario game and it's also arguably the best, so

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, super mario world is by a very wide margin the easiest mario game and it's also arguably the best, so

Only if you stop before you reach the secret levels. I think I never managed to get past "Tubular" all my life. Thanks to Switchflix I'll probably try again one day, but back then those levels beat my rear end square and fair. The phrase "Gnarly" still makes me shudder sometimes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
World can be pretty tricky if you intentionally ignore the switch palaces and the cape

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

Only if you stop before you reach the secret levels. I think I never managed to get past "Tubular" all my life. Thanks to Switchflix I'll probably try again one day, but back then those levels beat my rear end square and fair. The phrase "Gnarly" still makes me shudder sometimes.

here's a hot tip: bring a blue yoshi and a cape into tubular, you can jump off the last pipe, glide and grab a koopa and just fly over the rest of it. the next couple levels are pretty easy, the only other really tough one is outrageous.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

As are all Kirby games but those are super fun and I enjoy them immensely.

Maybe it's the nature of the puzzle game vs an action-platformer. In the latter you can still enjoy speeding through levels, avoiding getting hit, and in the case of Forgotten Land (and most Mario games) the quality of the game/level design.

But for a puzzle game, an already slow genre, I guess I expect my brain to have to work just a bit. But in Captain Toad there's timing, and very basic mapping skills required. I can appreciate the beauty of the game, and while I'm not prone to watching Let's Plays I really don't think playing made much more of a different experience and that would've sufficed in this case.

I don't want this to come off as the game is bad. It's just incredibly easy even by the standard of easy games. I had trouble enjoying it, it was so easy. I say this only in the event this can help someone make a safer purchase, but if they still get it knowing this and are comfortable with that, then I really hope they do enjoy it as much as I wish I had.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did you actually 100% it? It’s a puzzle game. Getting through the level with the bare minimum isn’t the challenge.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As are all Kirby games but those are super fun and I enjoy them immensely.

Maybe it's the nature of the puzzle game vs an action-platformer. In the latter you can still enjoy speeding through levels, avoiding getting hit, and in the case of Forgotten Land (and most Mario games) the quality of the game/level design.

But for a puzzle game, an already slow genre, I guess I expect my brain to have to work just a bit. But in Captain Toad there's timing, and very basic mapping skills required. I can appreciate the beauty of the game, and while I'm not prone to watching Let's Plays I really don't think playing made much more of a different experience and that would've sufficed in this case.

I don't want this to come off as the game is bad. It's just incredibly easy even by the standard of easy games. I had trouble enjoying it, it was so easy. I say this only in the event this can help someone make a safer purchase, but if they still get it knowing this and are comfortable with that, then I really hope they do enjoy it as much as I wish I had.

how far did you get? it does definitely get notably tougher as you go on. it's never like, tetris grandmaster or anything but i feel like you're overselling how easy it is a bit. my sister flat-out couldn't beat the final boss for quite a while

also if you're going for 100% it can be real real tricky and that trickiness starts pretty drat early.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 13, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

here's a hot tip: bring a blue yoshi and a cape into tubular, you can jump off the last pipe, glide and grab a koopa and just fly over the rest of it. the next couple levels are pretty easy, the only other really tough one is outrageous.

oh gently caress no are you serious, I should have thought of that myself

if I could go back in time to beat up child-me, I'd do it in a heart beat, that stupid fucker

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Tubular got a lot easier when I realised there was actually an extra balloon power-up I had missed. There's actually enough time to take it reasonably slow and carefully once you know where they all are.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

oh gently caress no are you serious, I should have thought of that myself

if I could go back in time to beat up child-me, I'd do it in a heart beat, that stupid fucker

lmao

there isn't a way to really make outrageous any easier though, that level is a jerk that does rude things like hide tiny enemies behind foreground objects

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The toad game is for children so it makes sense that it would be super easy

I would have liked to have seen them stick with the original idea where link is going through mini one room dungeons. But for these games their primary audience is school grade children and their parents

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Did you actually 100% it? It’s a puzzle game. Getting through the level with the bare minimum isn’t the challenge.

So I redownloaded it and double-checked. I didn't bother with fastest times and fizzled out through the bonus levels so no, I guess I haven't finished it. Prior to that I did get the little crown stamp on every chapter though, which I figure is part of 100% maybe, maybe not.

Maybe I'll try to complete the bonus level stuff.

KingSlime posted:

The toad game is for children so it makes sense that it would be super easy

I would have liked to have seen them stick with the original idea where link is going through mini one room dungeons. But for these games their primary audience is school grade children and their parents

It absolutely is as are most of their games nothing wrong with that. I think it's genuinely great for a younger audience. I usually enjoy these efforts. The other one that bore me to death was Epic Yarn that I played on my 3DS, I definitely didn't 100% that one and am not going to bother. Charming as all heck, and I love Kirby but that one was way to simple for me to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I never beat the final arena in Forgotten Land :cry: