Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I suspect that'll have about the same likelihood of survival and future historical usefulness as Sumerian accounting tablets.

So, very good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

We have had goons as highly ranked in the military as O-5 and possibly O-6. No goon flag rank officers yet. I would not be surprised if there are a few GS-14+ goons on the civilian side.
A little late replying to this, but there's a USAJOBS.gov thread over in BFC and I've seen multiple people attest to being 14s and I believe we have at least one 15? Nobody on the fancy executive scale though.

...also why does the LoC archive our site if it can't archive the forums (or I suppose really it can archive everything that a non-user can see which is like 1/3 of the forums with a word filter)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...also why does the LoC archive our site if it can't archive the forums (or I suppose really it can archive everything that a non-user can see which is like 1/3 of the forums with a word filter)

ok, i checked the place

loc doesn't have an account, and so naturally also doesn't have the archives upgrade. so it can only access the same stuff that people who haven't logged in can. so it can see the front page and read newer threads. i managed to open a thread from the 2020, but not from 2002 or 2014. and my guess is that if the paywall is up when they archive pages, they can't archive even newer threads either

looks like the clowns in congress have done it again

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Goon project: kickstart an account (with archives upgrade) for the Library of Congress

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Really, the answer for why do some places have so little surviving writing is that surviving writing is the exception. It's a miracle we have any ancient books from anywhere.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah it's not due to any special effort that we have a ton of Sumerian stuff, it's the fortunate coincidence that clay was one of like two things the Sumerians had in abundance and if you try to burn clay writings they just last forever.

On the subject of podcasts, I've been listening to the History of Egypt podcast (https://www.egyptianhistorypodcast.com/all-episodes/) and it's been real good (I'm up to 18th dynasty), but I am very far from an expert on Egypt and was wondering if this was one of those "sounds convincing but is actually crap" history podcasts. Any actual experts with an opinion?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven't listened to the podcast, but I got to go see the Giza pyramids and the red pyramid once when I took egyptology and holy gently caress they're amazing.

Everyone knows they're giant mountains in the desert but you really have to see them to get just how impressive they are.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

Yeah it's not due to any special effort that we have a ton of Sumerian stuff, it's the fortunate coincidence that clay was one of like two things the Sumerians had in abundance and if you try to burn clay writings they just last forever.

On the subject of podcasts, I've been listening to the History of Egypt podcast (https://www.egyptianhistorypodcast.com/all-episodes/) and it's been real good (I'm up to 18th dynasty), but I am very far from an expert on Egypt and was wondering if this was one of those "sounds convincing but is actually crap" history podcasts. Any actual experts with an opinion?

The host got his masters in Egyptian history and is pursuing his PhD. Latter episodes he has a few others in the field on to expound upon their own areas of interest.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tulip posted:

Yeah, when the library of Ashurbanipal was burned down by the babylonians, scythians and medes it actually helped preserve the clay tablets it contained. Also, you really know how important you are when three different ethnic groups band together to destroy you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gaius Marius posted:

The host got his masters in Egyptian history and is pursuing his PhD. Latter episodes he has a few others in the field on to expound upon their own areas of interest.

Oh excellent. I'm about 60 episodes in and he hasn't had any other experts on which was part of why I was asking. Stuff like History of Vikings or the AskHistorians brings in third party historians all the time and I've usually taken as a good sign.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but I got to go see the Giza pyramids and the red pyramid once when I took egyptology and holy gently caress they're amazing.

Everyone knows they're giant mountains in the desert but you really have to see them to get just how impressive they are.

The oldest building I've personally been around couldn't have been older than like, 700s CE, old kingdom monuments just feels so wild to me.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, when the library of Ashurbanipal was burned down by the babylonians, scythians and medes it actually helped preserve the clay tablets it contained. Also, you really know how important you are when three different ethnic groups band together to destroy you.

The Scythians aren't even close to the other two, that's how much the Neo-Assyrians pissed everybody off.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How many clay tablets show evidence of having been dropped and glued back together? Like, being fireproof is one thing but imagine shattering half your tax papers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about Mesopotamia, but I think in bronze age Greece at least evidence suggests that clay tablets were kept moist (or at least un-fired) and were intended to be reusable--all of the records and documents we have in linear B seem to represent a single year's worth of accounting. The working theory is that yearly sums would get transferred to scrolls or some other flammable material at the start of each new year, and when the palace burned down the temporary records got meticulously preserved while the permanent records all burned up.

I say Greece but this is some specific city and I can't remember if it's Knossos or Pylos. Maybe it's both that showed this pattern.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know about Mesopotamia, but I think in bronze age Greece at least evidence suggests that clay tablets were kept moist (or at least un-fired) and were intended to be reusable--all of the records and documents we have in linear B seem to represent a single year's worth of accounting. The working theory is that yearly sums would get transferred to scrolls or some other flammable material at the start of each new year, and when the palace burned down the temporary records got meticulously preserved while the permanent records all burned up.

I say Greece but this is some specific city and I can't remember if it's Knossos or Pylos. Maybe it's both that showed this pattern.

Yeah that's the case in Mesopotamia as well. Like they wouldn't waste fuel firing some student's papers, but we were lucky that some of their schools burned down in sieges or whatever so we've got a bunch of schoolwork preserved forever. A lot of what was preserved by time is pretty random, but sometimes we get good stuff.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

huh, interesting

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Alhazred posted:

Yeah after what he did to the Elamites, it's surprising it didn't happen sooner.

quote:

"Susa, the great holy city, abode of their gods, seat of their mysteries, I conquered. I entered its palaces, I opened their treasuries where silver and gold, goods and wealth were amassed... I destroyed the ziggurat of Susa. I smashed its shining copper horns. I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur. I devastated the provinces of Elam and on their lands I sowed salt."

quote:

For a distance of a month and twenty-five days' journey I devastated the provinces of Elam. Salt and sihlu I scattered over them... The dust of Susa, Madaktu, Haltemash and the rest of the cities I gathered together and took to Assyria... The noise of people, the tread of cattle and sheep, the glad shouts of rejoicing, I banished from its fields. Wild asses, gazelles and all kinds of beasts of the plain I caused to lie down among them, as if at home.

There's a relief depicting this, which has what's believed to be captured Elamite nobles being forced to grind the bones of their ancestors to dust.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wasn't familiar with the Greeks using clay tablets but I do know they used wax - when we've had the incredible fortune to find well-preserved Greek shipwrecks, in at least the one case I ever read up on we don't know what was on the manifest. We know there WAS a manifest, but it's wood board (like a clipboard) with a stylus and some faint wax residue.

(not trying to say this is like, counter-evidence or anything, just the one data point I've got)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We have enough artistic depictions of wax tablets to know what they looked like. Reposting from ye olde wikipediae.

Greek dude using what appears to be a Dell wax tablet.

Roman scribe with his tabs.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

sullat posted:

Yeah that's the case in Mesopotamia as well. Like they wouldn't waste fuel firing some student's papers, but we were lucky that some of their schools burned down in sieges or whatever so we've got a bunch of schoolwork preserved forever. A lot of what was preserved by time is pretty random, but sometimes we get good stuff.

Iol what is happening in this sketch?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ChubbyChecker posted:

huh, interesting

it's funny what a contrast that is to wax tablets or well, more or less any other kind of archival process? "lasts longer when you set it on fire" is such a strange property it's kind of wild we have anything at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mycomancy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onfim

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mycomancy posted:

i think, a man on a horse is using a spear or trident maybe? to stab the gently caress out of someone one the ground?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mycomancy posted:

That's Onfim!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onfim

efb

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I bet Onfim was a fuckin terror

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mycomancy posted:

Onfim is on a horse, spearing somebody on the ground (I choose to believe it is his friend Danilo)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Onfim is on a horse, spearing somebody on the ground (I choose to believe it is his friend Danilo)

I always figured the guy on the ground was the teacher.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One of the interesting things there is that the drawing of the people has all the simplicity of a stick figure, but a completely different form. Of course it makes perfect sense that the "default" simplistic drawing of a human would be cultural but I'd never thought about it before.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

One of the interesting things there is that the drawing of the people has all the simplicity of a stick figure, but a completely different form. Of course it makes perfect sense that the "default" simplistic drawing of a human would be cultural but I'd never thought about it before.

Yeah, stick figures are drawn differently in East Asia today. Snowmen also only have two balls, not three.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've seen plenty of people in America who have their own ethos towards stick figures. It's a thing that a lot of people can differ on or just make up their own version ad-hoc. There's no rules.

That's also why it's important to remember with a lot of illustration from different eras that they had different ideas of how to draw, or even different goals in some aspects. I wonder sometimes how much some artists from the past even had the chance to practice.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, stick figures are drawn differently in East Asia today. Snowmen also only have two balls, not three.

Hey man, it's really cold out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah the alternate stick figure method is really neato and clever.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

children's stick figure drawings is a surprisingly widely studied field. it's not ancient history, but if you want to find out more about it google 'children’s tadpole drawings'

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I'm looking for two recommendations reading-wise:

1) Really any broad text on Bronze Age economics outside of Sumeria. I think I kind of get the Sumerian economy & finances but I'd like to see what's going on in Egypt or the Hittites or really just any of their neighbors. Egypt is the most interesting to me but knowing how I do things I'll probably want something on other societies not long after. Any sort of social history would also rule.

2) Gender and Hatshepsut. I'm in the long stretch on Hatshepsut in The Egyptian History podcast and the podcaster seems to be very, let's say 'confused,' when talking about Hatshepsut and gender. I'm really curious if there's been a recent deep dive on this particular topic from somebody who is more focused on the topic, or at least a strong lit review.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The article I posted earlier has an EXTENSIVE bibliography.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/michael-hudson-origins-money-interest-palatial-credit-not-barter.html

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Tulip posted:

The Scythians aren't even close to the other two, that's how much the Neo-Assyrians pissed everybody off.

I thought this too but I did some reading and they had recently conquered the empire of the Medes.

Grand Fromage posted:

I always figured the guy on the ground was the teacher.

I see you have experience in the teaching field.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's a really good book, like legitimately the best, most gripping thing I've read in the last decade.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Onim's drawing is just the ancient equivalent of that one goon's bathroom sketch and it's perfect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Weka posted:

I see you have experience in the teaching field.

Many years. All of it abroad with students who never seemed to grasp how much of their language I understood while they talked poo poo about me right in front of me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Many years. All of it abroad with students who never seemed to grasp how much of their language I understood while they talked poo poo about me right in front of me.

i guess some things are universal, domestic students also never seem to grasp how much of their language you understand while they talk poo poo about you right in front of you. no, kids, i'm not 80 years old i know internet slang

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Tulip posted:

So I'm looking for two recommendations reading-wise:

1) Really any broad text on Bronze Age economics outside of Sumeria. I think I kind of get the Sumerian economy & finances but I'd like to see what's going on in Egypt or the Hittites or really just any of their neighbors. Egypt is the most interesting to me but knowing how I do things I'll probably want something on other societies not long after. Any sort of social history would also rule.

Life and Society in the Hittite World by Trevor Bryce will be your best bet for Hittite social and economic history. I haven't read much of it, but its very well regarded. I have read Bryce's book The Kingdom of the Hittites, which is a political and diplomatic history of the Hittites, and it's very good and generally easy to follow, so I'm sure Life and Society is too. I haven't read enough about Egypt to give a good answer on that subject, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help there.

CrypticFox fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrypticFox posted:

Life and Society in the Hittite World by Trevor Bryce will be your best bet for Hittite social and economic history. I haven't read much of it, but its very well regarded. I have read Bryce's book The Kingdom of the Hittites, which is a political and diplomatic history of the Hittites, and it's very good and generally easy to follow, so I'm sure Life and Society is too. I haven't read enough about Egypt to give a good answer on that subject, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help there.

Oh gently caress yes thank you