Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I had a sort of related GTA question. Is the PS2 Trilogy box set hosed up? All three of the games stutter and freeze up a shitload, especially when I'm driving. All my other PS2 games run flawlessly. The discs are basically scratchless as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

MMAgCh posted:

Just Cause 2 :words:

Fantastic, thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A quick question about Just Cause 2: I've found some pickups outside of towns, and when I pick it up, no percentage is incremented up. Are these counted towards anything, or are they just bonuses or something?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
They count towards your total completion percentage, that's it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What should I know about League of Legends? Assume that I'm not going to spend a single penny on riot points.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Just about to play the original Deus Ex. Any advice? I know absolutely nothing about this game.

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP
I was thinking of trading in some old games to pick up a used copy of The Saboteur. Any tips for making the play through as fun as possible?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Astfgl posted:

Just about to play the original Deus Ex. Any advice? I know absolutely nothing about this game.
There's a fix for getting the game to work properly on modern computers, with proper graphics. Google or search in the DE thread in games.

When you begin, your character doesn't really have to skills to play the game as a shooter, so you have to sneak. Remember that guards have a 120% field of vision in front of them and pause for a moment before they go into alert mode.

Get the GEP gun from Paul. You can find the other two guns he offers on liberty island, and the GEP is invaluable as a lockpick/bot disposer / people gibber.

When choosing which augmentation to get, go with Speed and Not!Aqualung rather than Run Silent and Aqualung. Crouching as you run with Speed activated has the same effect as Run Silent + you get to jump to a lot of interesting places. You don't really need to swim that much, and if you ever do, you can usually find a rebreather around.

Deus Ex rewards exploration, so climb, dive, squeeze and jump your way to weird places whenever possible.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Centipeed posted:

It's still all operational and ready to go, as it were, but it sort of relies on contributions by helpful people with little else to do, and those tend to be few and far between.

I'm almost certain we got up to page 50 or 51.

So if any of you want to help update it, I'll be happy to send you an email with all of the details :D

It's just mildly tedious, so it doesn't attract a lot of productivity.

What the gently caress, I don't have anything go on this week, I'll help. Email is my username @ gmail.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Astfgl posted:

Take all the skill points out of Pistols before you start the game. It will always be set to Trained after you start, so you can use those points elsewhere (or save them to get more into pistols)

Swimming is useless, don't put anything in it.

Laser sights are horribly broken and with one on all of your shots will be 100% accurate. If you have a scope and a laser sight, however, this does not work.

And seconding exploration, and remember that you WILL miss things. I thought I was being fairly complete in my first run, but even in the first part of the game I've found tons of stuff I would have otherwise missed.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

the Bunt posted:

I had a sort of related GTA question. Is the PS2 Trilogy box set hosed up? All three of the games stutter and freeze up a shitload, especially when I'm driving. All my other PS2 games run flawlessly. The discs are basically scratchless as well.

Depends if you're playing them on a PS2 or a PS3. Lag is inevitable either way. The solution depends on the following.

If you're using a PS2, it sounds like it's dying.
If you're using a PS3, it's probably an emulator issue. Use this to find out: http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

Astfgl posted:

Most people hate the first level because it's slow, you're weak, you can't hit the broad side of the barn, and have no special powers. Don't worry, it gets much better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

Most people hate the first level because it's slow, you're weak, you can't hit the broad side of the barn, and have no special powers. Don't worry, it gets much better.

I always find that weird, since I found the first level to be one of my favourites. It's not as unfocused as other levels feel, but it has its nooks and crannies to find, a number of choices to make in how to approach a situation, and stuff like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I think I'm one of 10 people who enjoyed the first area because you were weak. The game dumps you out of this long tutorial into a giant sandbox and the feeling was fantastic. I must have replayed it about 4 times trying to find new things before I actually moved on.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Astfgl posted:

Megathread here. (contains spoilers).

Of all the advice I could give, I think the most important is...

As you are playing Deus Ex, remember that it came out a year BEFORE 9/11..

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Another question about La Mulana. Are there any instances of "ha ha you hosed up now you can't get this item/progress anymore!"? Especially the kind where you don't KNOW you hosed up until much much later (Quest for Glory-isms, I guess)?

Because those are completely loving lame and I want to have a list of those handy if I'm gonna play through this for meself, exploration game be damned.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Morpheus posted:

I always find that weird, since I found the first level to be one of my favourites. It's not as unfocused as other levels feel, but it has its nooks and crannies to find, a number of choices to make in how to approach a situation, and stuff like that.

On your first playthrough it's bullshit because you don't know how the game works, you don't know to explore every pixel and you're not sure what to do. On your second or third run you start to realize how good it is, since it's basically the essence of Deus Ex, with a ton of different ways to get in and all kinds of hidden things, which are still blowing minds 10 years later.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Ledneh posted:

Another question about La Mulana. Are there any instances of "ha ha you hosed up now you can't get this item/progress anymore!"? Especially the kind where you don't KNOW you hosed up until much much later (Quest for Glory-isms, I guess)?

Because those are completely loving lame and I want to have a list of those handy if I'm gonna play through this for meself, exploration game be damned.

It's been a while since I played it but IIRC it is possible to screw yourself out of both of the whip upgrades if you gently caress up the puzzle involved in their rooms. Also I think there's some way to mess up the poo poo with the medicine of life and the faries near the end of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Viash posted:

It's been a while since I played it but IIRC it is possible to screw yourself out of both of the whip upgrades if you gently caress up the puzzle involved in their rooms. Also I think there's some way to mess up the poo poo with the medicine of life and the faries near the end of the game.

Grumble mutter grargh, I hate this kind of crap.

Oh well. Last question before I stop bugging the thread (hopefully): controller or keyboard?

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Oh well. Last question before I stop bugging the thread (hopefully): controller or keyboard?

Never played it with a controller, but it does pretty well with a keyboard. The physics of your jump take a bit of getting used to though.

On the lost forever stuff, it is only those whip upgrades that you can lock yourself out of getting I believe. However, both are pretty obvious when you gently caress up, and you can reload a save.

For reference, the first whip upgrade is rising a incorrect pillar out of 2 pillars, which makes it impossible to retrieve it (there are at least 2 warnings not a room or 2 before this), and the second whip upgrade is a scale puzzle which locks the room once you climb up the ladder, so there is time to back down and go save. Hope it helps.

Slio fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 3, 2010

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ledneh posted:

The only items that can be permanently missed are upgrades and not required items. As far as I know, it's impossible to make it unwinnable.

The whip upgrades mentioned above are true, but the Medicine of Life is not since you need it to beat the game. The whip upgrades you should know, because the rooms don't reset. For other missable items:

Chain Whip: In the Inferno Cavern. It's a matter of quick reaction; it's in a dead-end room where putting a weight on the pedestal causes a pillar to rise. Once the pillars go up, they don't come back down.
Mace: In the Tower of the Goddess. It requires you to solve a weight puzzle where you balance out gems. Note that to properly balance it, you'll have to add your own character's weight. (it's simpler than it looks at first)
Angel Shield: Requires you to kill one of the mini-bosses in the Dimensional Corridor three times. If you kill Tiamat without getting this, you can't open the seal that has it as the miniboss will stop respawning.
Life Jewels: Both the ones in the Dimensional Corridor and Shrine of the Mother are missable. The Dimensional Corridor's requires you to leap off the head of a different miniboss; if you kill it it never respawns. The Shrine of the Mother's requires you to get all four Seals before killing all eight bosses. After they're dead, the Shrine transforms into a new area. You can also miss some ROMS in the Shrine this way.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Ledneh posted:

Definitely keyboard, you need too many keys for a controller to work.

Edit: Also if you try to play this blind you are insane. Even having beaten the game multiple times, there are parts I have no loving clue how anyone could figure out without a walkthrough.

SPop6
Aug 26, 2007
Freedom Force
- Use Microwave often, he's vital for the last half of the game as his genetic displacement skill is crucial for the final fights. You want him properly leveled up.

- You should be saving the game all the time especially after tough fights. If a fight doesn't end well and you find your party suffering heavy damage, then it's probably wise to reload.

- Fliers are awesome. Period. They are completely immune to most physical attacks, make excellent scouts and can get to most places in half the time when compared to non-fliers.

- El Diablo is the best character in the game. His inferno and flaming fist skills are amazing. Use them often.

- Mentor's internal dominance is game breaking in the early stages of the game. Use it often.

- Eve's arrow attack is really overpowered and is easily the most accurate ranged attack in the game. This is especially useful during the final few boss fights.

- Don't forget defensive buffs. Minuteman's and El Diablo's shields will make tough fights much, much easier.

- Characters won't always listen to your commands in battle, try issuing the commands several times if a certain character isn't responding properly.

- Overpowering attacks is very, very useful but under-powering attacks is almost equally useful. Don't be afraid to launch a weak attack to finish off an enemy, it's better than being stunned thanks to energy penalties.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks folks, you've been real helpful. I'll keep the knowledge of the missables in hand as I go :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Viash posted:

Definitely keyboard, you need too many keys for a controller to work.

Edit: Also if you try to play this blind you are insane. Even having beaten the game multiple times, there are parts I have no loving clue how anyone could figure out without a walkthrough.

I did it with a PS2 controller and it worked fine. The game doesn't need that many buttons, and you can always resort to the keyboard for the odd spell or whatever.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

SPop6 posted:

Freedom Force

Wow, was just thinking about finally starting this up so thanks!

SPop6
Aug 26, 2007

The Machine posted:

Wow, was just thinking about finally starting this up so thanks!

It's a fantastic game. Just getting off a huge Freedom Force kick myself. I wouldn't recommend using the character creator until you've played through the campaign at least once though, it can be a little overwhelming for people who aren't familiar with the game mechanics.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Freedom Force: I'd be careful using Microwave. I think the Genetic Damage ability was originally supposed to re-arrange an NPC's weaknesses, absorptions and defenses, but it instead makes whoever is targeted WEAK TO EVERYTHING. Whatever is hit by genetic damage, dies.

Remember: Over-powering your attacks can make them more effective, but if you can't pay the increased EP cost, your character is automatically stunned. Any flying characters who are stunned fall to the ground, taking damage. El Diablo randomly overpowers his attacks, which may stun him.

SPop6
Aug 26, 2007

Samurai Goat posted:

Freedom Force: I'd be careful using Microwave. I think the Genetic Damage ability was originally supposed to re-arrange an NPC's weaknesses, absorptions and defenses, but it instead makes whoever is targeted WEAK TO EVERYTHING. Whatever is hit by genetic damage, dies.

Remember: Over-powering your attacks can make them more effective, but if you can't pay the increased EP cost, your character is automatically stunned. Any flying characters who are stunned fall to the ground, taking damage. El Diablo randomly overpowers his attacks, which may stun him.

Overpowering an attack when you're running low on EP doesn't constitute an automatic stun, but it does GREATLY increase the odds. Also, I don't understand the point you're trying to make with Microwave, how could that ever be used against you? It's a direct target ability, just don't target your own party members? :iiam:

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

SPop6 posted:

Overpowering an attack when you're running low on EP doesn't constitute an automatic stun, but it does GREATLY increase the odds. Also, I don't understand the point you're trying to make with Microwave, how could that ever be used against you? It's a direct target ability, just don't target your own party members? :iiam:

I think he means it's a bug and that being too reliant on it cheapens the game.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
So I just picked up a cheap DS today with The World Ends With You and Chrono Trigger. Any advice about these two?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Werner-Boogle posted:

So I just picked up a cheap DS today with The World Ends With You and Chrono Trigger. Any advice about these two?

Use good headphones, not the crappy DS speakers.

Prepare to look like a massive tool as you scratch, tap, and blow your way to victory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

What you put into TWEWY is what you get out of it. By that I mean you can cruise through the entire game on easy. There's absolutely no reward for playing on hard and purposefully lowering your level except for better drops so if you get tired of leveling up pins and grinding for rare items just know you can blaze through the game and see the story rather quickly. I'd recommend doing it that way at first because when you beat the game you'll unlock a side story and you have to play through all the levels again to activate specific secrets in order to unlock the true ending. At that point I decided to actually experiment with the combat and stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Werner-Boogle posted:

Chrono Trigger is very, very easy, and there's honestly not much you can do to gently caress up your experience. That said:

1). No sidequest is missable except for one. There will be a NPC girl at one point who will ask you whether she should burn a plant under royal orders or secretly plant it. Tell her to plant it. This NPC is always available (she will change locations because of story reasons), but as long as you don't tell her to burn it you will not lock yourself out of the sidequest.

2). There are some chests that you can open once you power up your pendant. Try to open them first in 600 AD; if they give you a dialogue Yes/No option to open it, pick "No" and then go to 1000 AD. Open the same chest, and the item will be upgraded. Now hop on back to 600 AD and pick up the original item.

3). Your first time through, you probably want Ayla on your team as often as possible. Use Charm on everything, especially bosses. You get some really great equipment this way. Also the fact that she doesn't need to equip weapons comes in handy at one point.

I literally just finished The World Ends With You and I'm having trouble to think of things I would have liked to know beforehand. It's a hectic game that takes some getting used to (you basically control the bottom screen character with your stylus and the top screen character at the same time with the digital pad), but you should get used to it after a while. It's surprisingly fluid and fun.

Just know that 100%ing the game is a futile effort I guess. Also you should probably check in with the game every 24 hours to maximize the Shutdown PP you get (you'll see what I mean when it happens the first time). After 24 hours in real time, you start to get diminishing returns.

Everything al-azad said is true as well, though I don't think there's anything wrong with playing through on Normal first.

E:

Strange Matter posted:

-Save your Scarletite for opening new Pin slots first.
Oh right, this is very true. After that, I would spend them on Fusion Levels.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 3, 2010

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Werner-Boogle posted:

For The World Ends with You:

-Buy a screen protector. The only game that ruined my screen worse than TWEWY was Elite Beat Agents.

-Eat every chance you get, especially food that increases your stats, and especially anything that increases your Bravery. Bravery determines what kind of clothes you wear, and yours starts off piss poor so work on raising it as soon as you can. You can safely ignore food that affects your sync rate.

-Keep your level as low as you can manage it without dying constantly, and increase your difficulty whenever the opportunity presents itself. This is the best way to build cash and get rare pins

-Don't worry about matching your brands to the district you're in. The game makes it seem like a huge deal, but the bonus you get from it only applies to your attack power, and it's so fickle that it's scarcely worth messing with. At the very worst, some fights will go on slightly longer.

-Pin evolution is a pain in the neck. Some pins evolve from battle, other pins evolve from mingle PP, and still others evolve from shutdown PP. There's no way to tell which one you need when you get a pin. For this reason it's impossible to do a 100% run on your first playthrough without a guide, which I'd strongly advise against since the story is pretty great by JRPG standards. It's better to just play through the game blind and work on completing your Pin collection in the New Game+ mode, which the game seriously rewards you for tackling

-Extra Pin slots are extremely important. You get most of them through story progression, but 2 of them you have to buy with Scarletite, which you only get through plot progression. They require 2 scarletites each, and the second one will be available 2 days after the first one.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 3, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ledneh posted:

(Quest for Glory-isms, I guess)?
Quest for Glory was probably the LEAST prone to that sort of poo poo out of the Sierra Quest series.

Back to Deus Ex, I'd have to say that ONE level in Swimming is cheap and worthwhile. (but then, the sound of JC choking on water terrifies me, so I try to minimize it)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Xander77 posted:

Back to Deus Ex, I'd have to say that ONE level in Swimming is cheap and worthwhile. (but then, the sound of JC choking on water terrifies me, so I try to minimize it)
If I recall, one level in Swimming is just enough to get you through the longest swimming section in the game, so there's really no reason to ever go higher.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Quest for Glory was probably the LEAST prone to that sort of poo poo out of the Sierra Quest series.

gently caress, what series was I thinking of then. King's something? I don't remember.

Anyway, yeah, agreeing with the Deus Ex folks: get your points OUT of Pistols at creation if you don't intend to use them, and do one level--and ONLY one--in Swimming.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Also, Rifles and Computers pretty much break the game. The Regeneration augment pretty much turns every fight into The Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Oh yeah that's another thing, raise Computers to at least Trained early on. You can do without it for a few levels as you find passwords fairly easily, but later on being able to hack is invaluable.