Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, there should be an input on the back. It may be the usual red/white RCA plugs, but it's probably a DIN plug.

And I'm guessing the speaker wires have plugs on them too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, there should be an input on the back. It may be the usual red/white RCA plugs, but it's probably a DIN plug.

And I'm guessing the speaker wires have plugs on them too?

Ayup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Any backside/top/bottom shots would be appreciated. It would let us get a better sense of what this thing is.

Also because I'm hella curious, tia.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Any backside/top/bottom shots would be appreciated. It would let us get a better sense of what this thing is.

Also because I'm hella curious, tia.

It's the 70's version of a lovely Aiwa bookshelf system basically.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Yes but it's from Sweden

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Aiwa did make some cool Mini systems though: http://www.thevintageknob.org/aiwa-Aiwa_22.html

I'd love to get a full one, right now just have the turner and the integrated amp.

I've been fascinated with mini systems lately, Technics SC-CA10 is really cool looking, never heard one in person though.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

BigFactory posted:

How dare you. It's from the 60s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Aiwa did make some cool Mini systems though: http://www.thevintageknob.org/aiwa-Aiwa_22.html

I'd love to get a full one, right now just have the turner and the integrated amp.

I've been fascinated with mini systems lately, Technics SC-CA10 is really cool looking, never heard one in person though.

HOLY poo poo THAT DESK

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

(the slanted mini rack's super cool too)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

HOLY poo poo THAT DESK

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

(the slanted mini rack's super cool too)

Yeah those are pretty sweet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Recently picked up a Audio-Technica LP 120 to go with my Marantz 2270 and a pair of Infinity SL30 speakers from the early 90s. Sound is pretty amazing, and I really regret getting out of vinyl collecting back in the 90s. There are some amazing record stores in the area, but the used selection is nowhere near what it used to be these days. Trying to find my favorite Melvins albums, Houdini and Stoner Witch, and they are going for upwards of $150 now. :cry:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I follow this guy on youtube, he does a lot of awesome diy science stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCdsyCWmt8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was going to post that, but you beat me to it.

Super hella amazing video.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

BANME.sh posted:

I follow this guy on youtube, he does a lot of awesome diy science stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCdsyCWmt8

CED, the last consumer electronics standard that was 100% an American invention. :911:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I have a problem that's incredibly difficult for me to solve. I recently picked up a pair of JBL L26's, and I refoamed the woofers and replaced the caps in the crossovers. They look great and the veneer matches the finish on my stereo cabinet almost perfectly. Really ties the room together, you'd say. The wife prefers this option, obviously.

The only problem is I don't nearly enjoy the sound of them over my old pair of speakers, Avid 102's. The Avids are bigger, bulkier, and uglier but they sound incredible. The JBLs are supposed to have a very flat response curve, but call me crazy, I think I prefer the sound coloration of the Avids instead (also had the caps replaced).

Which pair do I keep.

Don't say both.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

BANME.sh posted:

I have a problem that's incredibly difficult for me to solve. I recently picked up a pair of JBL L26's, and I refoamed the woofers and replaced the caps in the crossovers. They look great and the veneer matches the finish on my stereo cabinet almost perfectly. Really ties the room together, you'd say. The wife prefers this option, obviously.

The only problem is I don't nearly enjoy the sound of them over my old pair of speakers, Avid 102's. The Avids are bigger, bulkier, and uglier but they sound incredible. The JBLs are supposed to have a very flat response curve, but call me crazy, I think I prefer the sound coloration of the Avids instead (also had the caps replaced).

Which pair do I keep.

Don't say both.

Both.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BANME.sh posted:

Which pair do I keep.

Don't say both.

If you don't like them as much, you will always be thinking about that when you listen to them. You could try to alter the sound of the L26s by changing crossover components, I suppose.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Get a nice EQ and mess with the sound some and see if you can get it to sound like what you want. I know it's a poor solution, but you can get some pretty lights out of it as well with the right unit. I recently got a pair of JBL 4312As and I don't like them that much and prefer my Cerwin Vegas and my Klipsch Forte IIs over them. Like you I don't like the flat sound the JBLs provide, or the correct sound, I like my kicking bass.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I definitely have room for an EQ in my new cabinet so I'll probably get one regardless of the speakers I keep :getin:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I know this is more for vintage items and all but Insound is going out of business and they have 35% off site wide so in case anyone needs to get any new vinyl. The turntables are also on discount so I ended up buying a Rega RP1 w/ performance pack for less than what the Rega RP1 usually goes for.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Animale posted:

I know this is more for vintage items and all but Insound is going out of business and they have 35% off site wide so in case anyone needs to get any new vinyl. The turntables are also on discount so I ended up buying a Rega RP1 w/ performance pack for less than what the Rega RP1 usually goes for.

I just bought some stuff I don't need so thanks for that I guess.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Anyone have experience with /an opinion on older creek equipment, specifically their integrated amps. I was looking for a vintage receiver to power some Jamo bookshelves I have and run a turntable on but short of scoring at yard sale I'm not going to find one around here for less than $50.
The creeks are supposed to have great phono preamps.
Guy on local CL has a 4140s2 for $225. I've tried to push him down on the price but he's not budging despite it being up for over a month. I watched a similar model go for $200 on ebay with a non original vol pot so I guess he's not way off base.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
At what point do you guys see the returns on vintage gear diminishing to the point where getting an older piece of kit isn't worth it over something new?

I'm specifically referring to speakers in my case. As much as I love my HPM-900s, nobody will ever pretend that they're particularly "accurate" and as I think about what I want to replace them in my "reference setup" (I know, lol) with, I'm leaning more towards saving up for some nice ($1-2k) new speakers instead of wading into the morass that is the high-end vintage market.

I got a really good deal ($250/pr) on my HPMs two years ago, which had been refoamed and still have their original graphite woofers. Apparently they've sold in that condition for $600+, which honestly seems ludicrous to me.

I'm not at all doubting the relative quality of vintage gear (it's not like audio engineers recently learned how to make proper speakers or anything) but I just can't imagine buying a pair of Klipsch Heresy for $1200 when you think about the new (high quality and often better in terms of form-factor) poo poo that's on the market in the $1-$3k range.

(And I'm not planning to get rid of the HPMs. If anything, I'll A/B them with whatever I get for those times when I want to be stupid)

Same goes for amps and receivers. Once people start spending multiple hundreds of dollars on '70s era gear in good condition (or hundreds of dollars to get it into that state), it makes me wonder if they wouldn't be better served by something like these (street price is like $150 less than MSRP) with their remotes, and TOSlink inputs, and automatic power shutoffs, and new electronic components.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 19, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I went through the same thought process around six months ago and got rid of all my silver-faced vintage gear. It was getting to be too much of a pain to maintain. I think the value now is in 80s and 90s hifi stuff since it gets underlooked due to the looks not being as flashy as 70s stuff. I now have a stack of top of the line Nakamichi gear (integrated amp, CD player, cassette deck) and a pair of B&W DM2000s I've accumulated for the price of one of the nicer Marantz receivers and it definitely sounds a lot better.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I have a pair of Cerwin Vega 380SE that I love, but are too much for apartment living in Boston. Anyone have a good resource to sell something like this? No bites on Craigslist

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't getting any bites, you're asking too much :v:

I have the same mental debate over new vs old stereo equipment all the time, and same for film vs digital photography. I don't have a good answer for keeping vintage electronics other than I like the aesthetics better.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Anime Sandwich posted:

I think the value now is in 80s and 90s hifi stuff since it gets underlooked due to the looks not being as flashy as 70s stuff.

Yeah that is what I've been keeping an eye out for, scored a Acurus A250 amp for 60 bucks this week and it sounds great. Yamaha had some great gear in the 80s.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
80's and 90's NAD stuff is also a good deal. You can pick up almost anything in excellent condition under $100. It sounds just fine and it still "new" enough that you don't have to worry about replacing caps for a while.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Well, found some cool speakers today. Klipsch EPIC CF-4 and KLF-30, so freaking heavy but sound great. Time to shuffle around and sell some speakers.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gramovox/floating-recordtm-vertical-turntable?utm_source=fb

This has to be dumb right

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pretty much. You can certainly make a vertical player, but now your tracking force and stylus stability are functions of a clever solution instead of gravity. That's probably half the reason for the built-in speakers-- once the tone arm is near the center of the record, channel separation is going to suffer as it tries to fall to the earth, or is poorly controlled by a spring.

For it's intended crowd, it'll be probably be fine though-- it will look good and make sounds.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Silver amps
Silver cameras
Silver halide
:getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGj804rpjnw

:3:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No Linda de Mol, voted 1.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is this why every god drat time there's been reggae DJs at a bar all the kit is totally hosed?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Sorted out the stereo with JBL 4319 speaker with custom old school quadrax grilles and a Mitchell Gyrodec. Orange is the new black.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks dope. Put those cables in a conduit or something though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Looks dope. Put those cables in a conduit or something though.

Seconded. Those cables bring down what is an otherwise bomb setup.

Those grilles are the best. Planning to do something similar with my HPMs, maybe.

Can't decide if it's more important to protect the woofer cones or show them off.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

TooLShack posted:

Well, found some cool speakers today. Klipsch EPIC CF-4 and KLF-30, so freaking heavy but sound great. Time to shuffle around and sell some speakers.

Wow, that is a score. I've had KLF-20's for my mains since I got them for a song when they went on closeout in the early 2000's (something stupid like $550 for the pair) and they are absolutely fantastic speakers. The 30's are even better.

They are definitely enormous though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah, bad news on the KLF-30s, rust on the frame of the woofer behind the speakers spider keeps falling off into the voice coil. Speakers worked fine at the dudes house, but transport has caused a bunch of rust dust to pretty much ruin the woofers. So the good deal is no more, Klipsch doesn't have any replacements. If I go replace it it's either Crites super expensive woofers which would set me back 500 for 4 woofers or some ok replacements that will set me back 240 bucks. Pretty bummed since I was gonna flip one of the pair for pay for the other. The Epic 4s sound amazing and have become my favorite pair of speakers.

Here is a picture on what I'm talking about.

I've started a little facebook page to sell complete systems in my area, I enjoy getting people started in the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I was looking to buy a turntable soon, and had been eyeing the Pro-Ject Debut Crbon. Looking around, it's on sale everywhere for ~$50 off. Might this indicate that they're coming out with a newer version, and I should hold off on ordering for a bit?

It's out of stock on Amazon, and Music Direct is out of stock in some colors that had been available, so it seems like they're not being re-ordered. Anyone have any insight into that?