Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Goodbye forever CA, I believe this is the bit where I'm forced into a labyrinth of ramshackle outbuildings, chained to a wall, and fed dog biscuits and murky water for the rest of my days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That is a good loving deal.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marv Hushman posted:

Goodbye forever CA, I believe this is the bit where I'm forced into a labyrinth of ramshackle outbuildings, chained to a wall, and fed dog biscuits and murky water for the rest of my days.

At that price I'm going to assume it's either some kind of scam or cursed by gypsies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

That is a good loving deal.

:agreed:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Looks eerily similar to the pics in this scam

http://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/4906858578.html

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Dutymode posted:

Looks eerily similar to the pics in this scam

http://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/4906858578.html

Yeah, jackpot all the way. Lots of problems with the ad, starting with the title--this isn't a Bonneville America.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

It was good knowing you Marv. You'll be forever remembered as the goon that got shanked trying to buy a bonneville.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Yeah, jackpot all the way. Lots of problems with the ad, starting with the title--this isn't a Bonneville America.

Maybe it's an address? As in an accostment. "That a look at this 2005 Triumph Bonneville, America!"

Or maybe it's an actual address. "A 2005 Triumph Bonneville, in America".

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Every time i use searchtempest I just think they missed out on the name "searchnado."

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

Definitely looks like a scam. It's not an America, it's a t100, the 'thousands in chrome' is just the stock chrome for a t100, as are the 'custom blinkers'.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If in doubt (which automatically means it's a scam anyway), just do a reverse google image search on it. The pics will show up in multiple states/countries/whatever.

Around here the current scam trend is a teeny picture with a wrong aspect ratio, an oddly specific price, and an unusual adjective in the title. Like, terrifying low miles gsxr $3028.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Not sure why "terrifyingly low miles" made me laugh so hard but thanks.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Why is the text of that 'scam ad' just a bunch of jibberish? What kind of scam is that? Is their goal to make you click on the thing and seconds later realize it's bullshit?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ChewedFood posted:

Why is the text of that 'scam ad' just a bunch of jibberish? What kind of scam is that? Is their goal to make you click on the thing and seconds later realize it's bullshit?

Rule number one of scamming is to rope in the dumbest people alive. The reason scams are written so poorly is to automatically weed out the intelligent people that would recognize it is a scam, and give you the bottom 10% of morons that can't.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Ripoff posted:

Rule number one of scamming is to rope in the dumbest people alive. The reason scams are written so poorly is to automatically weed out the intelligent people that would recognize it is a scam, and give you the bottom 10% of morons that can't.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4933983800.html

like this?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I wouldn't call that a scam, that seems like the correct price for a 2002 shadow. Also the ad sounds like someone trying to be witty, not blunt enough for a scam.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

I wouldn't call that a scam, that seems like the correct price for a 2002 shadow. Also the ad sounds like someone trying to be witty, not blunt enough for a scam.
Certainly doesnt seem like something a 77 year old would write though

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gillingham posted:

I respectfully disagree.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
That's totally not a scam.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gillingham posted:

Disagree. Seems exactly like something a borderline senile 77 yo would write.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that's a little too authentic. Scammers are noticeable by the fact that they operate at scale - nothing about that ad reeks of an automated template playing madlibs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Worthwhile fix and flip, especially if a guy can get it for <$1K?

Looks clean and completely stock and brand new boots as well. Can't help but question the quality of the work, but if the heads are coming off anyhow..

quote:

Bike was rebuilt including new timing belt, valves, brakes, tires.
Headgaskets went about 300km after rebuild. Still runs but smokes antifreeze. Wanting to sell entire bike not just parts.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/lethbridge/rebuilt-goldwing-needs-head-gaskets/1057073831?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

When I read something like "just rebuilt but has some form of catastrophic failure", I just imagine that as the first thing failing in a long, Rube Goldberg line of progressive fuckups, based on the POs idiocy. If you're not capable of assembling a bike so that it doesn't blow the head gasket 300km later, how much faith would I have in literally anything else you did?

It gets to the point where I expect they broke everything in a 6 inch radius of what they "rebuilt" - on average, I'm rarely wrong.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Z3n posted:

When I read something like "just rebuilt but has some form of catastrophic failure", I just imagine that as the first thing failing in a long, Rube Goldberg line of progressive fuckups, based on the POs idiocy. If you're not capable of assembling a bike so that it doesn't blow the head gasket 300km later, how much faith would I have in literally anything else you did?

It gets to the point where I expect they broke everything in a 6 inch radius of what they "rebuilt" - on average, I'm rarely wrong.

Gotta agree with this. Usually these end up being "buy my piece of poo poo that I tried to fix but just made things worse" type situations.

I'm currently spending a lot of money on a bike that had a PO that apparently didn't like it very much. Expensive and frustrating.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z3n posted:

Well yeah I 100% agree, but like I said the heads are coming off anyhow to do the head gaskets, so the timing belt and valves (whatever that actually means) are going to be all exposed anyhow. As long as he didn't rip the bottom end of the motor out there's really not much anything else that won't be out to check the ineptness of work.

I'm not eager for a project, but I seem to recall those old flat 4s are supposed to be very easy to work on and I imagine parts are fairly common... although I have no idea what the market would be like on the bike once it is finished :shrug:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

I'm not eager for a project, but I seem to recall those old flat 4s are supposed to be very easy to work on and I imagine parts are fairly common... although I have no idea what the market would be like on the bike once it is finished :shrug:

Ahahahahahaha.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I take that as a "No, they're not."

I assumed since there were so many made and still around, parts wouldn't be hard to get? If not, yeah, I'll kill any consideration of it right now.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
They can be really tricky to drat near impossible to get some parts for. The upper carb housing, for example, is cast aluminum and the upper mounting tap is part of the casting. I had a GL1000 that the carbs needing synching, the shop broke that and I got a GL1000 paperweight back from them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

I take that as a "No, they're not."

I assumed since there were so many made and still around, parts wouldn't be hard to get? If not, yeah, I'll kill any consideration of it right now.

The good news is there is always ebay/craigslist and many specialty sites dedicated to selling take offs from wrecked 'wings since you can't actually get any parts from Honda. So as long as you don't mind waiting 3 months for the part you need to show up on a search and don't mind paying 3x what it cost new for a used part that has minor cosmetic damage, they're totally a snap to get parts for. :v:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Scrapez posted:

I'm currently spending a lot of money on a bike that had a PO that apparently didn't like it very much. Expensive and frustrating.

Like with my bike, the PO neglected it, and you've given it a good home where it will be appreciated and ridden.

It's like foster children, but with more riding of the neglected party.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Ola posted:

I respectfully disagree.

now 2200! also 15 tire kickers(?) no reponse when I asked if he(?) would be willing to get it inspected.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/4947736817.html

:911:
Wanna buy this and wrap myself around a tree in the middle of the woods.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackLaser posted:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/4947736817.html

:911:
Wanna buy this and wrap myself around a tree in the middle of the woods.

"truly relatively unmolested"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/lethbridge/1986-yamaha-fzx-750-fazer/569338394?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Here’s your chance to own a nice tuned twenty-valve Fazer. This rare bike was referred to as the ‘Baby V-Max’ in its day. Very quick (actually it’s a ripper!), low, and handles way better than it is reputed to. Had it up to an easy 200+ Kph on the highway and it was rock-steady and weaved between cars like a GP racer! Lots of mods increased power and dropped over 30 lbs of weight. Wanted one of these for decades and finally found one. Worked on it for a few years and finally got it to where I wanted it. But… There is an electrical gremlin that pops the 10AMP ignition fuse and left me on the side of the road twice (bad) and in my yard twice (not as bad). I went through the electrical system (more than once) but I’m not sure if it is fixed. It runs, warms up, zips around the block, and has been idling for an hour without blowing the fuse, but now I’m gun-shy and lost confidence in the bike. The only other thing wrong with the bike is the tire valves – they were not replaced when I had the new tires mounted and the rubber grommets leak, so they need to be replaced (which means re-mounting and balancing both tires). This is/was my dream bike and I’m still undecided whether I want to sell or keep trying to chase the gremlin. If I get what I’m asking I will be decided. So no offers. Bring $3500 and a hanky for me to wipe my tears and take it away. But please don’t come back and do burnouts in front of my house…I couldn’t take that! The New Good Stuff: - Kerker 4-1 Header & mid-pipe o Dime City Cycles 12” Stainless Steel Megaphone muffler o Moose 2” black exhaust wrap - Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit o Emgo washable pod filters o balanced carbs - Dyna 3 Ohm Dual Output Coils o Sumax 8mm Pro Comp Wire Kit o Denso Iridium IX24B spark plugs - Parts Unlimited Sprocket 15 tooth countershaft sprocket (2 teeth smaller) - rad flush - Cheng Shin C906 Himax 120/80H16 tubeless front tire (stock size 110/90) - Kenda Cruiser K671 170/80-15 rear tire (stock size 140/90) o JT Sprockets 45 tooth rear sprocket (2 teeth bigger) o All Balls Rear Wheel Bearing Kit, spacers, etc - Progressive Suspension fork springs o Heavy SAE20 weight fork oil - replaced 12.5" stock shocks with 13.5” RFY piggyback shocks - replaced pegs w/ rearset Hollow black steel bmx stunt pegs - Pro Taper SE Black Aluminum Handlebars o Galindo Superbike grips o Moose black Bar End (right side) o 3” round black aluminum bar-end mirror (left side) o new throttle cable - EBC Organic Brake Pads front and rear o new OEM master cylinder o Goodridge stainless steel braided front brake lines o rear slotted petal rotor o DOT 5 Silicone Race Fluid o speed bleeders - replaced ugly rectangular headlight with 7” round headlight o Kuryakyn 7” headlight w/ amber LED indicators o Bluhm Enterprises Xenon Blue H4 Headlight Bulbs-100/55W o ceramic H4 socket - YT10L-A2 Scorpion AGM High Performance maintenance free battery o Tecmate SAE Eyelet Charger Connection - LED guage bulbs - clear led integrated tail/signal light - Hitachi starter relay - OEM clutch switch - Spares: o used 1988 FZR 1000 carbs (Mikuni CV 37mm) & pod filters = tuner's secret for EVEN MORE POWER!!! o fuel tank o fuel pump o oil filters o everything removed I still have Emails only, I'm in town on weekends.
:downs:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty cheap (crashed) SV650 up for now.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4950950808.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good loving god. They cost 1500 here unmolested. Remind me never to live in seattle

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Luuuckyyyyy...

Yeah, it can be stupid sometimes. Motherfuckers want 1500-2k for dr350s and xr400s.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a KLR. I emailed this ad to ask if there's a reason it was never ridden, and he replied with "3 bikes and no time to ride. Too dang busy working all the time..."

Thoughts? Suspicious? Any major issues from letting it sit unridden other than needing fresh oil/gas/tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That seems a bit high to me. What are brand new KLRs, like $6k?