Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, the standalones will spoil some things for the bigger trilogy, if not explicitly, they'll imply enough to ruin a lot of tension.

Maybe try Half A King for the audiobook?
Read Half a King, but only for the purpose of immediately reading Half the World afterward.

Half the World is Abercrombie hitting a characterization Goldilocks zone. Half a King is too shallow, Half a War is too crowded, especially with the serial plot coming to a climax, but Half the World is just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Suxpool posted:

Just saw this on some fantasy list on imgur and I thought it was Tight As Hell.

http://i.imgur.com/6lUkr06.jpg

Yeah, Bayaz is definitely my favorite evil sorcerer overlord in fantasy fiction.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I just finished Before They Are Hanged, and will be going on Vacation soon. I was thinking of getting an audio book for the road trip, but wont have the trilogy finished before hand. Will Best Served Cold, The Heroes, or Red Country spoil any thing from the Last Argument of Kings?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations for anything similar to Joe's style that's stand alone?

Why wouldn't you just get The Last Argument of Kings audiobook? Narrated by Pacey, it's about as good as an audiobook can be.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll check out Half a King then.

Suxpool posted:

Why wouldn't you just get The Last Argument of Kings audiobook? Narrated by Pacey, it's about as good as an audiobook can be.

I've already got a physical copy of Last Argument, and my wife hasn't read the first two books.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
So I just finished Sharp Ends and it was drat Good to be reading some Abercrombie again. Thanks to Ornamented Death for turning me on to The Book Depository. I was able to order the paperback version of the nice UK cover which matches my copies of the trilogy.

So I have a question about book publishing. In America, for pretty much every book I've ever seen, the hardback version is released first then 6 months or so later, they release the paperback version. This makes sense because they can make more money from hardback from the people who don't want to wait. There have been many times that I have waited months to get a book I want because I am cheap and I prefer to carry around and read paperbacks.
For the crappy American version of Sharp Ends (published by Orbit) they only have the hardback available and I think the paperback isn't available until next February 2017. But for the nice UK version both hardback and paperback are already available. Is this because of different publishers doing things differently or is it a regional thing that always happens in the UK and in America we get screwed by greedy capitalists?

Anyway, I loved the book and the world of The First Law, definitely good to see more of Gorst (who I didn't care for at first but has really grown on me) and Murcatto being a stone-cold badass. I also loved Shev and Javre and hell, even Carcolf. I think we will definitely be seeing those 3 again. Carcolf in particular gave me very "Carlot dan Eider' vibes. I expect to see her to pop up in unexpected places.

Also it just dawns upon me that JA has really set himself up well with this series. He has a wide world to play in but writing trilogies, short stories and stand-alone novels gives him a lot of flexibility to focus on different POV's or regions without being stuck with several "Main" characters like many other fantasy series (ASOIAF, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, etc.).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
There's no paperback here in the UK yet.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

VagueRant posted:

There's no paperback here in the UK yet.

Huh, that's weird. Well 'The Book Depository' definitely has them available to be ordered. The only downside is that the paperback version doesn't have the glorious golden map, it only shows parts of it on each title page.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Huh, that's weird. Well 'The Book Depository' definitely has them available to be ordered. The only downside is that the paperback version doesn't have the glorious golden map, it only shows parts of it on each title page.

This brings up a vital question though: why are the british prints of books always waaaaaaaay more awesome than the US ones? Seems like it should be the other way around what with the US being a bigger fantasy book market. I mean, even if we have fewer nerds per capita we probably still have more nerds total by a large margin.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This brings up a vital question though: why are the british prints of books always waaaaaaaay more awesome than the US ones? Seems like it should be the other way around what with the US being a bigger fantasy book market. I mean, even if we have fewer nerds per capita we probably still have more nerds total by a large margin.

He's based out of there and has a much better EU publisher. Or so I believe is the case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Clinton1011 posted:

He's based out of there and has a much better EU publisher. Or so I believe is the case.

It's not just limited to Abercrombie, it's widespread across fantasy and sci-fi.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I wonder why they even have separate covers at all, at least at initial release I would guess it would be cheaper just to go with one cover and call it good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Destro posted:

I wonder why they even have separate covers at all, at least at initial release I would guess it would be cheaper just to go with one cover and call it good.

Well it's almost always different publishers for the US and UK. Sometimes there's even a third publisher for Canada.

Edit: This is a couple years old, but it's relevant.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I know everyone says Mike Tyson, but I think UFC champ Robbie Lawler might be the real life equivalent of Bremer Dan Gorst. He's got this soft voice like an eleven year old boy, and he seems like a nice, respectful, yet dispassionate guy but then you see him fight and he's this huge beast of pure aggression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YQCZnsJr0I

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I've read all of Abercrombie's books in the past year, and now that I'm done with Sharp Ends I'm bummed that there's no more Abercrombie left for me to read. Is there anything similar that I should try? Google says Powder mage but I didn't like it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mystery Opponent posted:

I've read all of Abercrombie's books in the past year, and now that I'm done with Sharp Ends I'm bummed that there's no more Abercrombie left for me to read. Is there anything similar that I should try? Google says Powder mage but I didn't like it
Yeah I finished Sharp Ends recently and it was very good. Sad that I'm out now.

I liked Powder Mage though I won't defend it since I also like some semi-trashy cliche/cheesy stuff and it did get pretty drat stupid at the end, but it's very much almost a 1:1 Sanderson-clone than anything remotely close Abercrombie so it's a weird recommendation. Abercrombie is his own special niche with writing style that you won't find: that he's funny as hell while still telling a pretty dark tale and that's a really rare commodity.

That said, there are still a lot of good fantasy books that exist with varying levels of dark elements/humor/etc that are often a good read in their own way, but it would be wrong recommend them in the same vein of Abercrombie's works. Currently finishing the third Greatcoats book by Sebestian de Castell and it's loving excellent in a little bit darker Three Musketeer way-- much camaraderie humor, very little magic but it kind of exists, and good fight scenes (and they're usually funny as hell) but it's also a pretty light-hearted book.

I've heard good things about Mark Lawrence and R. Scott Bakker's works that is supposed to be pretty good and maybe slightly similar. I've heard Daniel Polansky's Lowtown book is also quite similar and often recommended. Those are still on my to-read list so I don't know but you could look into that. Might be better to also list what else you like or ask in the scifi/fantasy or rec thread.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 29, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I really like R Scott Bakker and there's a new book coming in July. It's pretty heavy though - don't go in expecting any of the levity the Abercrombie weaves in.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Land Fit for Heroes is similar in the sense of revolving around a small number of strong protagonists who drive a lot of the action. The worldbuilding is probably a bit better/more interesting, but be warned in my opinion the third book shits the bed and is not satisfying at all. Also I hope you like your sex scenes graphic, because Richard K Morgan is incapable of writing them any other way and thinks he's a genius for doing it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I loved the world building in Land Fit for Heroes, but I couldn't stand any of the characters. Felt like too many were trying too hard to be edgy.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Thanks guys, Bakker and de Castell sound interesting.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Mystery Opponent posted:

I've found a few tools for recommendations based on what you like, some better than others. You can use goodreads.com and rate all the books you've read and it'll recommend books based on what you've read. This is a much easier and better way to go about it though: http://www.literature-map.com/joe+abercrombie.html

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Suxpool posted:

I've found a few tools for recommendations based on what you like, some better than others. You can use goodreads.com and rate all the books you've read and it'll recommend books based on what you've read. This is a much easier and better way to go about it though: http://www.literature-map.com/joe+abercrombie.html

This tools puts Steven Erickson and Patrick Rothfuss very close and those two are nothing like Joe Abercrombe. I guess Scott Lynch is sort of in the same vein, I only read his first book and it was ok, hear tell the 2nd and 3rd sucked but IDK myself.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Finished Sharp Ends recently, and really enjoyed it. My favorite story was the one told from the view of random characters involved in some of the scenes from Best served cold. Probably not the first time someone has written from that point of view, but it was clever and pretty interesting.

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's YA stuff. Is it worth it for a guy in his thirties if I've enjoyed everything else he's written?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sjonkel posted:

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's YA stuff. Is it worth it for a guy in his thirties if I've enjoyed everything else he's written?

Probably. Calling it YA is kind of weird anyhow, especially once you get past the first book, but that's marketing for you.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Sjonkel posted:

Finished Sharp Ends recently, and really enjoyed it. My favorite story was the one told from the view of random characters involved in some of the scenes from Best served cold. Probably not the first time someone has written from that point of view, but it was clever and pretty interesting.

As a guy in his thirties who read them I thought they were definitely his weakest titles. Some cool stuff, but mostly it seemed he took alot of the character personalities he made in the First Law books and put them into some of the YA characters. It wasn't nearly as interesting either and I've forgotten most of what happened didn't feel emotionally invested in anything that happened. They aren't terrible books by any stretch, they just felt like 'filler' books someone who needed a break from what he was writing would write.

That said I'm looking forward to him getting back to the First Law world now as I really did like those books and read them maybe 3-4 times.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

Yeah.

They're not world shattering or anything, but they're more of that Abercrombie goodness. First one feels like he's holding back some blood and swearing, but the others aren't much different than his main series.

And I still maintain they're all better than Best Served Cold. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sjonkel posted:

My favorite story was the one told from the view of random characters involved in some of the scenes from Best served cold.

Abercrombie's point of view fuckery is awesome. I loved that scene in The Heroes where it would follow a guy, until he got killed, and then follow the guy who killed him, and so on and so forth. Until it ended with Bremer Dan Gorst being a badass motherfucker.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Abercrombie's point of view fuckery is awesome. I loved that scene in The Heroes where it would follow a guy, until he got killed, and then follow the guy who killed him, and so on and so forth. Until it ended with Bremer Dan Gorst being a badass motherfucker.

Most scenes in The Heroes end with Bremer being a badass though.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Casualties, the chapter in question, is literally one of my favorite scenes out of any book ever. Whenever I reread/listen to the Heroes I get super happy when I get there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Braking Gnus posted:

Most scenes in The Heroes end with Bremer being a giant goon

Fixed. Bremer is never badass but a giant stereotypical goon, and instead of dota2/wow its fighting. It's great

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Xaris posted:

Fixed. Bremer is never badass but a giant stereotypical goon

Hates himself more than anyone else? Check.

Seems legit.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Bremer is a damaged individual. hosed in the head. But he knows how to kill people! And that is kinda cool 😎

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

spandexcajun posted:

This tools puts Steven Erickson and Patrick Rothfuss very close and those two are nothing like Joe Abercrombe. I guess Scott Lynch is sort of in the same vein, I only read his first book and it was ok, hear tell the 2nd and 3rd sucked but IDK myself.

To be fair I don't think any other author is like Joe Abercrombie. The tool supposedly just lists other authors that people who like Abercrombie also like. I think the closest you can get to Joe is probably Mark Lawrence.

Scott Lynch's first book was great, but he's intentionally switching the theme of his books with every new title. Book two is about swashbuckling, and book three is about political fuckery or somesuch. They don't live up to how good his first book was, but viewed as a whole I think his Gentleman Bastard series is still head and shoulders above most of the fantasy being written these days.

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 1, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How quickly people forget G.R.R.M.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How quickly people forget G.R.R.M.

When's the last time he put out a SoIaF book? When's he gonna put out the next one? I think his problem is that we've all read his stuff already. Also lemoncakes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Suxpool posted:

To be fair I don't think any other author is like Joe Abercrombie. The tool supposedly just lists other authors that people who like Abercrombie also like. I think the closest you can get to Joe is probably Mark Lawrence.

Scott Lynch's first book was great, but he's intentionally switching the theme of his books with every new title. Book two is about swashbuckling, and book three is about political fuckery or somesuch. They don't live up to how good his first book was, but viewed as a whole I think his Gentleman Bastard series is still head and shoulders above most of the fantasy being written these days.

Yeah I think the Gentlemen Bastards series is great, the second and third books get a bad rep because of how stellar the first book was in comparison.

Lawrence's new series is imo better than the Prince of Thorns one was.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Suxpool posted:

:agreed: I thought book 2 was really good, maybe about 90% as good as book 1. Book 3 also had some good moments and sort of fell a little bit flat but still a fun read and I'll keep reading them and enjoying them as they come out.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Grand Prize Winner posted:

When's the last time he put out a SoIaF book? When's he gonna put out the next one? I think his problem is that we've all read his stuff already. Also lemoncakes.

wild cards and cons bro

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah I think the Gentlemen Bastards series is great, the second and third books get a bad rep because of how stellar the first book was in comparison.

Lawrence's new series is imo better than the Prince of Thorns one was.

Prince of Fools is def. better than Thorns.

Wanna criticize a series for not living up to the original book? Blood Song by Anthony Ryan was so good. I don't know what the gently caress happened with the rest of the trilogy.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Xaris posted:

:agreed: I thought book 2 was really good, maybe about 90% as good as book 1. Book 3 also had some good moments and sort of fell a little bit flat but still a fun read and I'll keep reading them and enjoying them as they come out.

I feel the exact same way. I read the second book and really liked it, and was surprised when I read that most people didn't enjoy it. The third one is weaker, but still enjoyable, and does a better job at moving the whole story arc forward.

A book I didn't like was Prince of Thorns though. The setting was interesting, but I thought the protagonist was neither likable nor interesting. Is Prince of Fools better in that aspect? I don't have anything against unlikable characters in general though. Glokta is a good example of someone who's not a good person, but is very interesting and three dimentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Sjonkel posted:

I feel the exact same way. I read the second book and really liked it, and was surprised when I read that most people didn't enjoy it. The third one is weaker, but still enjoyable, and does a better job at moving the whole story arc forward.

A book I didn't like was Prince of Thorns though. The setting was interesting, but I thought the protagonist was neither likable nor interesting. Is Prince of Fools better in that aspect? I don't have anything against unlikable characters in general though. Glokta is a good example of someone who's not a good person, but is very interesting and three dimentional.

I felt like the Prince of Thorns trilogy started off decent and got less interesting as it progressed. Prince of Fools is much better and has a lot of humor that the first trilogy lacked. I don't think you need to read Thorns to set anything up for Fools, they're both just stories about princes in different kingdoms happening around the same time.