Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ooh, to my ears it had a Marshall tone. :shrug:

Yeah, when I think about the songs it reminds me of, it's all Marshall/Orange stuff - that 90s JCM900 grunt.

Great, now I'm going to spend the whole day browsing 90s live footage at work.

Ah well, it's Friday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gCzk6I6i8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Yeah, when I think about the songs it reminds me of, it's all Marshall/Orange stuff - that 90s JCM900 grunt.

Great, now I'm going to spend the whole day browsing 90s live footage at work.

Ah well, it's Friday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gCzk6I6i8
Hamiltone: Tone goals. I know they were never super big or anything, but goddamn did I love Helmet and their 90's output, Aftertaste included. Wasn't Page one of the early adopters of VHT/Fryette?

Also, I know that he was in his mid 30's when this was shot, but younger Page was very cute in a boyish kind of way. :3:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The lead sounds Marshally, but that low-pitched staccato rhythm sounds American-ish to me too. Can't tell you how to get it though, other than that it can probably be coaxed out of a Mesa or an Engl.

I guess I don't really know what 90s Marshall tone is. I didn't know it changed much from the 80s.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
the rhythm part sounds like a Dual Rectifier or something like that, lead is a driven Plexi with a little modulation.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

That rhythm part sounds a lot like a Dual Rectifier

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, so I checked another Helmet vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5mIAGJOoHM

... and you can clearly see that, at the very least, Page is rocking a dual amp setup of a Marshall and an Orange along with all his rack effects, while Rob seems to be rocking a Marshall JMP-1 and... I think it's a Mesa Power Amp? Maybe the 50/50?

:ms: I guess?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

... and you can clearly see that, at the very least, Page is rocking a dual amp setup of a Marshall and an Orange along with all his rack effects, while Rob seems to be rocking a Marshall JMP-1 and... I think it's a Mesa Power Amp? Maybe the 50/50?

I love that outro.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I love that outro.
As I previously made very clear, I love 90's Helmet (Helmet from 2004 onwards a little less so), but whenever I'm trying to convince someone where to start, I always say "Yeah, that's peak 90's Helmet" when recommending Milquetoast. I like Ironhead a bit more, but I think that sonically speaking, Milquetoast is much more representative of them as a whole.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i remember page hamilton being a vht endorsee at some point in the 90s. he did a little kickstarter marketing for the fryette recording preamp that came out a few years ago

the relatively big name that got on them first iirc was john christ from the original danzig lineup. also megadeth used them but didn't tell anyone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Helmet listening ends with Betty but only because I was listening to other things. I actually really like Betty. :shrug:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I bought a Tweed Deluxe clone and holy poo poo that is some complicated dialling in for such a simple amp. From what I can tell:

Tone goes from 0-12, but the brightest point is around 9. The tone has less effect as the volume goes up.
Volume goes up from 0-12 but volume increase stops at 6, the remaining 6 being distortion and saturation.

While in one input jack, the other one controls the mids (most middy at 6, most scooped at 12)

Whaaaat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tweed Deluxe is a wonderful, low headroom dirt machine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's what a friend likes to call a "Deceptively simple" amp. Tell us Heel, is it the one with 1 or 2 volume controls?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

It's what a friend likes to call a "Deceptively simple" amp. Tell us Heel, is it the one with 1 or 2 volume controls?

Walnut cab, Celestion Blue speaker :)

Tone, Vol, Vol and Hi/Lo Bright/Normal - I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Walnut cab, Celestion Blue speaker :)

Tone, Vol, Vol and Hi/Lo Bright/Normal - I literally have no idea what I'm doing.
:swoon: :pervert:

*ahem*

You, my friend, are about to enter into the Awesome Zone. Remember to pack a change of underwear and some comfy shoes, because you're gonna have to hit the ground running. And goddamn is that thing sexy as gently caress. It's gonna make love to your ears like few things in this world. Treat it right and it'll do right by you.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Remember, this is the amp with so much variety just from twiddling the knobs that Neil Young had a robot made to turn them to different presets.

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

Wark Say posted:

In that era Page was using a Harry Kolbe preamp into the power sections of those heads, that's what he used on Betty. Page's pre was on eBay in 2005 and it's one of my regrets that I didn't buy it. Betty is pretty much my favorite album of all time. Meantime was a Yamaha pre into probably that same Marshall. He started playing VHT in like '95-'96. I have a bunch of fairly in depth gear interviews with Helmet from the '90s, I'll see if I can track them down. OG Helmet is some of my favorite poo poo and has been hugely influential on me as a musician.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If you guys remember my story and pictures of my Dad's two Tweed Twins that he built himself, now might be the right time to tell you that the next project he completed was a Tweed Deluxe, and now it's all he plays. It practically moves him to tears.

I'll try to come back w/pics if I can get them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The only Tweed Deluxe demo you ever need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3ajYfbzcw

Starts to get all amp-asplodey around the 7:30 mark.

I can't wait to upgrade to the Blu-Ray and introduce my neighbors to the soundtrack... whether they like it or not. :getin:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've seen that movie. It was fukkin' weeeeiiiirrrd, maaan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

seatbeltstrap posted:

In that era Page was using a Harry Kolbe preamp into the power sections of those heads, that's what he used on Betty. Page's pre was on eBay in 2005 and it's one of my regrets that I didn't buy it. Betty is pretty much my favorite album of all time. Meantime was a Yamaha pre into probably that same Marshall. He started playing VHT in like '95-'96. I have a bunch of fairly in depth gear interviews with Helmet from the '90s, I'll see if I can track them down. OG Helmet is some of my favorite poo poo and has been hugely influential on me as a musician.
Oh gently caress yeah! :swoon:

Not pushing you to anything but if you find them, goddamn please share them. I love me some guitar/amp nerdiness, especially if it's from bands like Helmet, Neurosis, Quicksand, Mono, Isis, Sleep, Cult of Luna. All that nasty-boy music.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I have had a chance to play and there is basically zero chance of me being able to get this Tweed Deluxe even into normal EQ territory without blowing out my ears. I guess an attenuator?

It sounds loving fantastic, I just want to be able to hear my future kids and/or truck horns in future.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

OK so I have had a chance to play and there is basically zero chance of me being able to get this Tweed Deluxe even into normal EQ territory without blowing out my ears. I guess an attenuator?

It sounds loving fantastic, I just want to be able to hear my future kids and/or truck horns in future.
Wear them ear plugs, Heel. There's no shame in wearing them plugs if your amp is loud as hell, even if it's not at 100W amp. I'm still surprised my two "lunchbox" Mesa amps force me to wear earplugs.

Also, another question: I just recently got an 8-string. It sounds okay with almost all my amps... except my lil' THR10x, which is the one I use the most at home. Any recommendations to fix that? It's an Ormsby and it has both a multi-scale and passive pickups, which rule really hard for when I play with one of my bands, but attempts to record demos directly like I do with other guitars leave something to be desired.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Also, another question: I just recently got an 8-string. It sounds okay with almost all my amps... except my lil' THR10x, which is the one I use the most at home. Any recommendations to fix that? It's an Ormsby and it has both a multi-scale and passive pickups, which rule really hard for when I play with one of my bands, but attempts to record demos directly like I do with other guitars leave something to be desired.

Bass way down/mids way up

Wouldn’t hurt to throw a bass cutting ts style boost in front.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bass way down/mids way up

Wouldn’t hurt to throw a bass cutting ts style boost in front.
So just a hint o'bass and crank that nasty-mid hump to get juices flowin'? Gotcha! I'll try it! :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

So just a hint o'bass and crank that nasty-mid hump to get juices flowin'? Gotcha! I'll try it! :)

Yeah it’s hard to get used to but the THR10X eq is very usable from 0-10. I’ve found great tones using extreme settings. It helps that it responds to your volume/tone pots well. You can dial in the mids/highs really high and take just the right amount off with your tone pot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Surprise surprise, that recommendation, along with a little comp from the THR Editor, fixed my tone right away! Thanks! :dance:

Tone I got is somewhere between this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTB9XKWmEMI

And this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhrVuTF6_Y

How can you get such a rad tone from this lil' thing? Like, I know the amps are like 6 years old now (I got mine last year), but for real, it's insane. Like, if I wasn't so married to Pro-Tools, I'd do everything from Cubase beyond the demos I do.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

How does it sound if you turn the amp up some, but drop the input volume?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A bit more amplifier worship:

I've told you all before about my dad's pursuit of tone nirvana in building and spec'cing out his own pair of 1958 Fender Tweed Twin Reverbs. When I was home for Christmas I got to play them and I was quite disappointed by them, personally. I was expecting unlimited clean headroom but when I whacked on the strings (I was playing my new 2017 Fender Strat Elite with the V4 Noiseless pups) the amp farted. Reminded me of my (modded) Blues Jr. MKIII in that way. He never plays hard so he gets what he wants out of them but he confessed to me last night that he was also somewhat let down by the final results of those two builds.

During my Christmas visit dad informed me he had a new build in the works and he was still sourcing components. I had brought him a Jensen C12N reissue speaker for Christmas (which was brand new, right out of my Blues Jr. which now has a Celestion G12H-HE in it) and at the time we put it into a cabinet that is roughly the same size as the old Tweed Deluxe (the Fender 5E3a), but a few inches wider than the stock Fender combo enclosure.
Since dad hasn't applied amp covering (he's still deciding on where to source his tweed covering and it's a pretty involved bit of work, which he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to complete) I noticed he'd already penciled in a cut-out on top of this cabinet for a chassis/control-panel cut/rout. He felt he had learned so much building those two Twins (which were inspired by his appreciation of Eric Clapton, although my dad doesn't play any bluesy noodling penta-tonic solo stuff at all, ever) he was now ready to build his own 5E3a Tweed Deluxe. He says it is because Neil Young gets such a great tone out of his. I had no idea my dad even gave a poo poo about Neil Young, much less Clapton... learning a lot about dad lately I guess. When I was growing up as a kid he didn't own any electrics or amps, he just had his Gibson acoustic and eventually bought a 12-string. Later he surprised me by coming home with a Fender Twin Reverb, a Tele, and an Ibanez UE 300 multi-effects pedal.)

Well, he completed the amp and put a different Jensen reissue speaker in it. It's an alnico speaker instead of ceramic, The model is the Jensen P12Q 40W 12" 8 Ω speaker.
And since he finished that amp a few months ago he, as I said before, can barely talk about it without drat near weeping. He is more in love with this amp than anything he's ever played, including his real Fender Twin, old Sundown, and his newly rebuilt MESA/Boogie "blue line" MKIII. He claims the wider cabinet gave the amp a little extra range, or basically relief from the original cabinet's "boxiness" (my word, but he's adopted it.)

I've never heard my dad gush about a piece of gear like this before, and it's not because he sourced the caps and transformers and glass himself, or because he hand-wired the circuit and modified the original switch to be a standby switch after studying how the Tweed Twin circuit does it. He's just nuts about the way it sounds.

For reference my dad mostly plays jazz hollow-bodies and his MIM Stratocaster; and keeps the tone clean, dark and warm... so sort-of goofing around with old jazz standards, claw-hammer thumb-beat stuff, and his own musical ideas. Maybe that will explain why he loves this amp so much.

Last night I asked him to take a series of pictures for this thread, and he was happy to oblige because a) he's very proud of his work (he's built a ton of cabinets and other furniture in mom and dad's home, he's very very serious about cabinetry as he used to design and fabricate metal in his work, including working for Borg-Warner and helping design pressure vessels for nuclear subs, and he likes to say he approaches cabinetry with the same tolerances he would in metal); b) he's very exacting with his electronics assembly/soldering work and c) he's a photographer with a photo blog with "lots of followers." He loves to take pictures and he's retired so why not?

I thought this thread might like to see this amp, and this morning he sent me the following pictures just for you folks:

I can repost the Tweed Twin pics if anyone missed them before, but I think I'll just link the album instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bitchin' stuff. :hellyeah:
That's loving aces! :krad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Dad sounds pretty awesome, I'ma come over and play some 90s "touring with Sonic Youth"-era Neil with him.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Old fenders don’t have headroom, they break up pretty early.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but this isn't desirable clipping I'm talking about. The amp loving farts at you like the speaker is rattling in its housing or something worse.
There's nothing musical or good about it. It's gross. When I think Fender (or MESA/Boogie, or the old JCM 800) I think headroom for days.
These amps don't have that, I can't even give the strings a good Hendrix-y whack without the amp sharting. Blech.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah but this isn't desirable clipping I'm talking about. The amp loving farts at you like the speaker is rattling in its housing or something worse.
There's nothing musical or good about it. It's gross. When I think Fender (or MESA/Boogie, or the old JCM 800) I think headroom for days.
These amps don't have that, I can't even give the strings a good Hendrix-y whack without the amp sharting. Blech.

I wonder if there's a problem with the circuit/build? It looks incredibly clean, maybe a bum cap?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I’ve had three Super Reverbs, two earlyish silverface and a drip edge. The drip edge was farty if I played anything with humbuckers. Wound up getting a refund after paying the shop to replace two speakers. They had no explanation, other than that it sounded fine when they played Fenders through it.

Surprised your Elite does it though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I’ve had three Super Reverbs, two earlyish silverface and a drip edge. The drip edge was farty if I played anything with humbuckers. Wound up getting a refund after paying the shop to replace two speakers. They had no explanation, other than that it sounded fine when they played Fenders through it.

Surprised your Elite does it though.

Humbucker mod is a common mod for these amps to remove the fart that comes with higher output pickups.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don’t know, but I think there was something wrong with the amp. I use my current SR as a bass amp through a bass cab. No farts. Sounds lovely. The drip edge, I couldn’t play a stock V at loud conversational level without farts. The other two SRs loved humbuckers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I seem to recall this thread singing their praises not long ago - but regarding the Yamaha THR10 and THR5 lunchbox modellers - is there any real difference between the two other than volume?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

I seem to recall this thread singing their praises not long ago - but regarding the Yamaha THR10 and THR5 lunchbox modellers - is there any real difference between the two other than volume?
The THR5 has less controllers (instead of the Bass, Mid, Treble 3-band EQ, you only have Tone), less "Amps" (5 as opposed to 8), no "User Memory" recall on Dashboard, and the Volume is both for the output and the USB.

Here's the THR5 Control Dashboard...

... and here's the one for the THR10

I think the THR Editor still gives you the same "bullshit sculpting" parameters, so if you hook it to your computer you can still go buck-wild, if you prefer slightly less volume.

But seriously, I cannot stress this enough: The fuckers sound great both for practice and recording purposes. Like, I had mine (the "Metal" THR10X) for a little over a year and it's fan-friggin-tastic how many tones you can dial. Literally a few days ago, esteemed goon Kilometers Davis helped me dial a great Meshuggah tone for 8-strings. Now my balls can't stop shaking. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

The THR5 has less controllers (instead of the Bass, Mid, Treble 3-band EQ, you only have Tone), less "Amps" (5 as opposed to 8), no "User Memory" recall on Dashboard, and the Volume is both for the output and the USB.

Here's the THR5 Control Dashboard...

... and here's the one for the THR10

I think the THR Editor still gives you the same "bullshit sculpting" parameters, so if you hook it to your computer you can still go buck-wild, if you prefer slightly less volume.

But seriously, I cannot stress this enough: The fuckers sound great both for practice and recording purposes. Like, I had mine (the "Metal" THR10X) for a little over a year and it's fan-friggin-tastic how many tones you can dial. Literally a few days ago, esteemed goon Kilometers Davis helped me dial a great Meshuggah tone for 8-strings. Now my balls can't stop shaking. :dance:

“esteemed goon” drat mama I made it! :bigtran:

Agreeing with all of this and I personally recommend the 10s because I love the THR as a stand-alone amp with a full 3 way EQ. It’s real useful but if you don’t mind plugging into a computer most of the time, go wild and grab the 5! I can’t imagine getting a bad THR, though I’ve only experienced the 10X.

I’ve been playing around with deeper and deeper tunings lately so I’ll have to experiment even more getting tight sounds. I doubt there’s much you could throw at the THR that it couldn’t wrangle. Maybe super deep bass tunings but who knows. What I really need to do is start recording and working on figuring out the THR in a recorded mix but that’s an entire other situation hah. I have done it a little with backing tracks (<3 spanish manlove) but not a ton.