Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

the least weasel posted:

Weren't they purple only like a year or two ago?

Joao competed at blue at 2011 pans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just watched a few videos of the miyao brothers and i don't want to comment on it because i can't but god drat they're entertaining to watch

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

just watched a few videos of the miyao brothers and i don't want to comment on it because i can't but god drat they're entertaining to watch

Just don't watch any of their matches with keenan cornelius

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

went against your advice, regret it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

went against your advice, regret it.

Now watch the double dq at abu dhabi, its so satisfying

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Now watch the double dq at abu dhabi, its so satisfying

it was actually the first one i watched. can you (or anyone) explain what the dq was for and why all of their other fights that looked pretty much the same to me, weren't dqs as well?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

it was actually the first one i watched. can you (or anyone) explain what the dq was for and why all of their other fights that looked pretty much the same to me, weren't dqs as well?

I'm not an expert so anyone feel free to correct me, but I believe it was a combination of them actually being less active then usual, abu dhabi having slightly different rules then thee ibjjf, and the ref having the balls to do it

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 26, 2013

widunder
May 2, 2002

Dangersim posted:

I'm not an expert so anyone feel free to correct me, but I believe it was a combination of them actually being less active then usual, abu dhabi having slightly different rules then thee ibjjf, and the ref having the balls to do it
iirc they were given a bunch of warnings before the dq

it'd never happen had one of them been from the UAE

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah they got the required number of penalties ( 3 or 4?) which makes a dq

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Counterpoint: watch both of their matches from this years Europeans

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Speaking of awesome Miyao matches stop whatever you're doing and watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZVNELdfXk

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

drat, his ankles are tough.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

dokomoy posted:

Speaking of awesome Miyao matches stop whatever you're doing and watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZVNELdfXk

*click*
18 minutes? i don't have time for this.
:stare:

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

drat, his ankles are tough.

I was there watching this live and his ankles got HUGE as the day went on. I've never seen anyones ankles get as swollen as his did.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm just going to drop some thoughts here that have been running through my head lately. I'm a blue belt and I'm at least a year from my purple, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but I'd like to hear some opinions about this stuff. If it's a bit meandering I apologize.

When I started training BJJ, I went regularly, and I had a lot of fun, but I didn't really apply myself to it mentally. I just went to class and rolled and had fun and didn't think about it much, and when I got my blue belt (which took me longer than it should have) my game was just a big mixed bag of what moves I enjoyed, I guess. A lot of stupid sweeps from the bottom, not much on top, didn't have any subs that I was particularly good at. In the last six months or so I started really applying myself mentally to improving my grappling, and I've blasted through a plateau that'd been holding me back for a long time. I didn't have a coherent gameplan really, and I started trying to piece one together. First I tried to build a Ryan Hall style triangle game, because most of my taps were triangles from the bottom. While I've definitely improved my triangles after studying them for a few months, I decided to give up after rolling with a technical fat guy who just crushed the life out of me and made me want to never attack from the bottom again.

At the moment I'm mostly pursuing back takes, back maintenance and back chokes, and it's working well for me. Ironically my relentless pursuit of the back has been keeping my opponents off-balance enough that all of a sudden my guard tricks are working again. I started obsessing over Marcelo and it's been working well for me lately, and I've realized that I'd basically spent a lot of my BJJ journey building a sub-optimal game, by just trying to get what subs I enjoy and personalizing a game to that, which I think a lot of schools encourage.

Instead of taking the free-spirit do-what-you-feel approach, I've been trying to work out what is the optimal type of gameplan to develop. It's not a thing that any of my teachers have ever really covered. So I started paying more attention to high level BJJ, and it seems to be in a weird place where MMA grappling and BJJ grappling have dramatically diverged because of the difference in rulesets and the extra positions that the gi and the lack of strikes allows. Like, it used to be "recover guard, sweep, pass guard, submit" while newer jits seems to be skip the guard passing stage and use crazy de la riva sweeps to skip the guard entirely and go straight to the back. Which is cool, because it's a more efficient way to do it, but I'd like to fight MMA eventually and it seems like that stuff isn't really MMA applicable. It seems like most of the stuff I see watching world class BJJ matches isn't relevant to me at all, really. For example, unless I've misinterpreted it, 50/50 guard only exists to exploit a bizarre IBJJF rule which disallows one style of leglock while allowing another, and would get you leglocked to infinity under different rules.

As such, I'm finding it kind of hard to find an "optimal" type of gameplan to pursue. Who are some high level grapplers whose games are applicable across grappling disciplines? If I wanted to compete in MMA, BJJ and Judo all at the same time, who should I be trying to imitate? Alternatively, what are some paragons of the various different styles of BJJ, or the masters of a particular position?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who is not-Galvao?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That's Sugar Ray Leonard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sugar Ray Leonard is way more handsome than that man.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I... I think thats usher?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I... I think thats usher?

Me too.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
It's him. According to the internet he could be a purple belt or he could just be doing general fitness and happened to roll with Galvao for a little while. Like in most things, the internet has no clue what's going on.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I hope Usher is a purple belt and refuses promotions because it is the flyest color. For real I don't know what I'm going to do if I get to brown, I took the power ranger approach and own like 4 purple shirts.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Im doing WSFSB routine, 4 day split while I cant do BJJ for the next 2 months. I still wanna add in some conditionning/cardio. Can anyone link me to a good BJJ oriented (not drills or anything BJJ related, just beneficial for BJJ) conditionning/cardio routine I can do so my gas tank doesnt get completely obliterated during my 2mths off?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swagger like us posted:

Im doing WSFSB routine, 4 day split while I cant do BJJ for the next 2 months. I still wanna add in some conditionning/cardio. Can anyone link me to a good BJJ oriented (not drills or anything BJJ related, just beneficial for BJJ) conditionning/cardio routine I can do so my gas tank doesnt get completely obliterated during my 2mths off?

Interval sprints are good for BJJ conditioning. I like to road run using telephone poles as an indicator of when to vary my pace and use the last leg of my jog for a slow easy jog.

The A/T thread has some good recommendation in there on conditioning for martial arts. Even an easy jog for 30 minutes will help keep your cardio endurance up.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
do turkish getups, for reps, for 10 minutes. then the next time you do them beat that number of reps. it'll improve your conditioning a lot and will help you do the most important thing in bjj: stand the gently caress up when you are on your back

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

david carmichael posted:

do turkish getups, for reps, for 10 minutes. then the next time you do them beat that number of reps. it'll improve your conditioning a lot and will help you do the most important thing in bjj: stand the gently caress up when you are on your back

I think they're called dragon flags are good for improving and maintaining that core muscular endurance.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Almost anything will help your gas tank - get creative. Most of the below are more tolerable with a training buddy or team mates because of the motivation they can offer.

Burpees/sprawls for time (tabata could work)

Shuttle sprints

Suicides

The prowler (haven't tried this one personally but apparently it can really kick your rear end)

Or all of the above in some combination..

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

So I'm going home to northern nj to visit my parents for a week and thought I'd pop into nyc to train. My coach said I should go to marcelo's, which is what I was thinking as well. But figured I'd get some input here. Thoughts?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

So I'm going home to northern nj to visit my parents for a week and thought I'd pop into nyc to train. My coach said I should go to marcelo's, which is what I was thinking as well. But figured I'd get some input here. Thoughts?

Best places in NYC are Renzo's, Marcelo's, and Shaolin's as a distant third. Check 'em and see which one fits your schedule best. Yuns trains at Renzo's so he may have better insight into the schedule there.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Marcelo's is a great place to train and you should drop by and train there. Renzo's, Marcelo's, Alliance and Shaolin are the most prominent schools in Manhattan. Both the Renzo and Marcelo schools run classes all day.

I am biased but I think you should also drop by Renzo's. I train in the mornings there. We have blue belt and up classes at 7:30 am, 1 pm, 6:00 pm and 7:30 pm. My recommendation is that you drop by as my guest in the morning for our advanced no gi class with John Danaher. We also have muay thai classes, MMA classes and unlisted judo and wrestling classes. I'll show you around the Academy if you drop by.

How much grappling experience do you have?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
FYI, Yuns is both more up on NY grappling than me, and probably more up on grappling in general than me or most other posters here, so pay attention.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I've been grappling for about a year and a half...I'm a one stripe blue belt. Note most of my experience is in the gi, I pretty rarely train nogi.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Go to Marcelo's but also try to make it out to Renzo's as well. It's worth taking John's class once even if you are not really a no gi guy just for the experience.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 5, 2013

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Do you happen to know what mat fees are like?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The normal daily mat fee for non-affiliates I believe is $40 at both Marcelo's and Renzo's. I know at Renzo's the fee covers as many classes as you want in a given day. Fees differ depending on certain situations. So if you visit Renzo's come by in the mornings and I'll help you through the whole process.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Nice that's actually not bad at all, so I may be able to do a day at renzos and marcelos

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Marching Powder posted:

They got DQ'd because grappling tournaments are not forums for men to publicly exchange mutual footjobs.
I guess they haven't been DQ'd before because some guys like watching men publicly exchange mutual footjobs.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
http://amichailevy.blogspot.com/2013/07/some-wear-singlets.html
Fun post about US post-collegiate wrestling at 74Kg. that's where Jordan Burroughs (former 2X NCAA champion and world and Olympic gold medalist, international celebrity to hairy men), Kyle Dake (4X NCAA champion), David Taylor (Guy who lost to Dake in this year's NCAA finals) and Andrew Howe (former NCAA champion) all live. Fun stuff. Also thank god they changed the rules of freestyle back to something that resembles decent rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mardragon posted:

http://amichailevy.blogspot.com/2013/07/some-wear-singlets.html
Fun post about US post-collegiate wrestling at 74Kg. that's where Jordan Burroughs (former 2X NCAA champion and world and Olympic gold medalist, international celebrity to hairy men), Kyle Dake (4X NCAA champion), David Taylor (Guy who lost to Dake in this year's NCAA finals) and Andrew Howe (former NCAA champion) all live. Fun stuff. Also thank god they changed the rules of freestyle back to something that resembles decent rules.

This is a terrific article. And I'm with you on the rule changes.