Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

blargle posted:

Having just come from Verizon, the 3G (and call coverage to a lesser extent) of Sprint in the NYC suburb area is surprisingly terrible in comparison. Friends with Sprint just seemed to be used to it. However my contract is literally half the price, so it's worth it.

This. I'm in Minneapolis, and the coverage isn't even close to what Verizon has. I've been sitting in class with no reception before, right next to my buddy who has 5 bars. But once you factor the cost in, there's really no comparison in my opinion. Sprint's the way to go, at least as long as I can hang on to this SERO plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

How is Sprint's return policy. I'm ready to switch now, but I want to see whether the Galaxy S2 specs stayed the same as well as if a release date still remains in September.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

How hard is it to cancel a single line without paying the ETF? My mother claims she gets no signal at her place despite the coverage map showing perfect voice and 3G coverage. An Airrave or whatever isn't an option because she doesn't have internet there.

To me it looks like I'm going to have to pay the full $200 ETF since she waited two and a half months to tell me this. gently caress. And of course she made me swap out the Optimus I got her with a lovely Sanyo phone with no resale value.

No signal means she could possibly get out sans ETF. Kinda hard to say for sure, but call retentions from the OP.

halokiller posted:

How is Sprint's return policy. I'm ready to switch now, but I want to see whether the Galaxy S2 specs stayed the same as well as if a release date still remains in September.

30 day complete guarantee since you will be a new line. For any phone, until its released its also a risk getting one phone with intent of swapping. We all thought the 3D would launch June 5th, but last minute Sprint changed it tu June 24th. You never know. But yeah, no fees to return either, so otherwise its pretty solid policy wise. Fyi the guarantee goes from the day you get the phone, so swapping phones does not extend the 30 days.

Just was talking to some friends on the Sprint tech side of things, and from what they were saying it looks like any new Windows Phone 7 are getting pushed back to Quarter 1 (aka after Christmas). Just fyi for any Windows holdouts. New Blackberrys launch on 8-21 (or probably launch I should say).

And as people have probably figure out, HP isn't even on the map, so no WebOS for Sprint.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 10, 2011

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I have 2475 on one of my text conversations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Q. i have SERO/EPRP, can I buy from Best Buy?

A. Some will disagree, but my opinion is still if you have a Sprint corporate oriented plan, don't let a 3rd party person touch it. Go through a corporate store or online.

I am purchasing my first phone/plan next week and I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible.
A friend of mine told me Best Buy will price-match Wirefly and they have the 3D on sale for $149. That's a nice savings, but...

I have two options:
Either EPRP using the account in the OP (Everything Data 500 minutes)
or
a 20% based on my employer (Everything Data 450 minutes)

Interestingly, the employer plan is just a few bucks less than the EPRP, so I guess the extra 50 mins./mo. could be worth the five-or-so extra bucks/mo.

But of course the questions become:

Can I get EPRP if I buy from Best Buy (it isn't an option from the website so I am guessing no)
...and if I could, could I still get the price-match on the phone, or...

If I bought from Best Buy, I could buy a plan (Everything Data 450 min.) then go home and use the website to apply the employer discount? I'm already assuming it couldn't be done in-store. From the Sprint site, it appears that you just put in your corporate email, it sends you an e-mail to your corporate account, and you can access the discount store that way. Any other requirements beyond that? Also, would that affect the price match?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I did read the OP. I had no idea this topic was so complex!

I'll go to a local Sprint Store (there's one right across the street) or just order online if a) the phone isn't via price-match anywhere or b) I can't get the right discounted plan.

Thanks for reading...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Interestingly, the employer plan is just a few bucks less than the EPRP, so I guess the extra 50 mins./mo. could be worth the five-or-so extra bucks/mo.
If it were me, I'd go with the regular plan with the 20% discount. Those extra 50 minutes a month won't matter much to most folks as calls to any mobile number (even on other providers) don't use minutes, so you have to do a lot of talking to landlines between 7am-7pm on weekdays to actually use them.

Plus, as a regular customer you can upgrade at Best Buy, Amazon Wireless, or anyplace that frequently has good deals on phones. Also, if Sprint ever brings back mail-in rebates, being able to upgrade at Best Buy where they don't have them as a matter of policy is a nice thing.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Can I get EPRP if I buy from Best Buy
As a new EPRP customer you can only get phones online from the EPRP site, or through the EPRP sales number. You can also do upgrades at corporate stores, but not the initial purchase I think.

Dr. Faustus posted:

If I bought from Best Buy, I could buy a plan (Everything Data 450 min.) then go home and use the website to apply the employer discount?
Hmm, I'm not sure if Best Buy will apply the corporate discount, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. You should be able to at a Sprint store though. Or *2 or Sprint's site I guess.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure if Best Buy will apply the corporate discount, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. You should be able to at a Sprint store though. Or *2 or Sprint's site I guess.
I was plowing through the Sprint website thsi afternoon and when I linked back to the corporate discount store there was a button, to the effect of, "Apply this discount to my current plan." I'm hoping it's that simple.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was plowing through the Sprint website thsi afternoon and when I linked back to the corporate discount store there was a button, to the effect of, "Apply this discount to my current plan."
I think it is. I've not used one on Sprint but I have on T-Mobile and it was easy enough to do in store. The best part is that the only discount perk (on EM+) was to waive the activation fee, and I had it applied retroactively since I forgot about it initially.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am purchasing my first phone/plan next week and I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible.
A friend of mine told me Best Buy will price-match Wirefly and they have the 3D on sale for $149. That's a nice savings, but...

I have two options:
Either EPRP using the account in the OP (Everything Data 500 minutes)
or
a 20% based on my employer (Everything Data 450 minutes)

But of course the questions become:

Can I get EPRP if I buy from Best Buy (it isn't an option from the website so I am guessing no)
...and if I could, could I still get the price-match on the phone, or...

If I bought from Best Buy, I could buy a plan (Everything Data 450 min.) then go home and use the website to apply the employer discount? I'm already assuming it couldn't be done in-store. From the Sprint site, it appears that you just put in your corporate email, it sends you an e-mail to your corporate account, and you can access the discount store that way. Any other requirements beyond that? Also, would that affect the price match?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I did read the OP. I had no idea this topic was so complex!

I'll go to a local Sprint Store (there's one right across the street) or just order online if a) the phone isn't via price-match anywhere or b) I can't get the right discounted plan.

Thanks for reading...

Few thoughts:
-Go with the 20%, its equal to EPRP and you can buy phones anywhere. Fyi Best Buy can't do EPRP
-Best Buy will not match Wirefly, Best Buy policy is matching prices of physical stores only. If you find a Best Buy willing to do it, great, but I honestly doubt it
-Discount: Any Sprint store can add a discount to your account at anytime (or online, etc). The main thing to factor in is that getting the phone via Best Buy then activating it will cause it to take 2 months. Most Sprint stores can set it up to be on the first bill.
-Sprint stores are offering a $125 port credit (hits bill on day 61). Best Buy sales do not count.

And Sprint did bring back mail-in rebates for all phones under $150. The 3D is an instant rebate at $199.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I live up in Bucks County(around Levittown) and commute down to Center City for work. Coverage all around sounds good though from what you guys are saying. Honestly I'll probably pick up an Optimus, or order one online, tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the help!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chiming in late but I live on City ave and commute through Center City all the way to South Philly. I have two common momentary connection drop areas: the Schuylkill Expressway and in Center City from the buildings interfering. Otherwise, reception is great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

halokiller posted:

but I want to see whether the Galaxy S2 specs stayed the same as well as if a release date still remains in September.
Well, here's your specs.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, here's your specs.

:negative:

Must...hold...out...for...Nexus...Prime

Then again, if this has the stupid 3 button design instead of the standard 4 button design, it'll be REALLY easy for me to pass on this.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ozmodiar posted:

:negative:

Must...hold...out...for...Nexus...Prime

Then again, if this has the stupid 3 button design instead of the standard 4 button design, it'll be REALLY easy for me to pass on this.

I thought the rumor was that the next Nexus was going to have no buttons.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

brc64 posted:

I thought the rumor was that the next Nexus was going to have no buttons.

Well, sure...but the Honeycomb UI is designed differently than anything pre-Honeycomb. Since ICS is more like Honeycomb, it wouldn't bother me.

The SGSII Variants that I've seen all have the stupidly large "iPhone-esque" center button, a menu button, and a back button. No search button. Not only do I use my search button a lot...but I think the 3 button look that Samsung has been going toward looks like WP7 and iOS had a bastard child and I hate it.

I'd be perfectly happy running a Honeycomb-esque UI on a phone, but I don't want to run a pre-Honeycomb UI on a phone without 4 buttons.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone actually try using a mini-HDMI cord with their EVO 3D? I'm buying some cables from mono-price and figured I'd get one, but searching for someone actually trying to use one comes up with some random answers about the required cable being rare and some stuff about MHL support. Can someone just put this in laymen's terms and tell me what wire to get?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, here's your specs.

Still no physical dimensions, unfortunately.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

-Best Buy will not match Wirefly, Best Buy policy is matching prices of physical stores only. If you find a Best Buy willing to do it, great, but I honestly doubt it.
The guy who told me about this literally did just this a week ago. He showed the Best Buy person WireFly's deal (showing them the website from his old phone), and they matched it. He ended up getting an EVO 4G for $1.

quote:

-Go with the 20%, its equal to EPRP and you can buy phones anywhere. Fyi Best Buy can't do EPRP
That's cool, I like the 20% deal, it's a few bucks cheaper and has 450 min/mo as opposed to 500; but otherwise is the same service.

quote:

-Discount: Any Sprint store can add a discount to your account at anytime (or online, etc). The main thing to factor in is that getting the phone via Best Buy then activating it will cause it to take 2 months. Most Sprint stores can set it up to be on the first bill.
This is a problem. The money I spend on the non-discounted plan over two months will negate the advantage of having the price matched. Why couldn't I buy the Everything Data 450 for regular price, get the phone price-matched, then go right home, log into the corp employee discount store from my work email address, and apply it right then and there. Why wouldn't it take effect immediately?

quote:

-Sprint stores are offering a $125 port credit (hits bill on day 61). Best Buy sales do not count.

I am not porting a number from any other carrier or contract.

quote:

And Sprint did bring back mail-in rebates for all phones under $150. The 3D is an instant rebate at $199.
I'm not averse to paying the $199, I just don't want to if I don't have to. I'll probably have to drop that $50 just on a little protection for the device (I like a decent but not too bulky shell and screen protector.)

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Anyone actually try using a mini-HDMI cord with their EVO 3D? I'm buying some cables from mono-price and figured I'd get one, but searching for someone actually trying to use one comes up with some random answers about the required cable being rare and some stuff about MHL support. Can someone just put this in laymen's terms and tell me what wire to get?
The 3D does not have an HDMI port, but does have a micro-USB port that can also transmit an HDMI signal if you supply the adapter. It can also charge simultaneously.

There should eventually be cables, but for now, the adapter is available. Maybe someday TVs will ship with all 200 competing video ports and you can just get one cable and 200 adapters.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SLOSifl posted:

The 3D does not have an HDMI port, but does have a micro-USB port that can also transmit an HDMI signal if you supply the adapter. It can also charge simultaneously.

There should eventually be cables, but for now, the adapter is available. Maybe someday TVs will ship with all 200 competing video ports and you can just get one cable and 200 adapters.
Is the adapter this thing? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011403&p_id=8079&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

VVV Thank you very much!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 11, 2011

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

No, that will not work. It has to state that it is an MHL adapter.

This is it but monoprice has not started selling it yet:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8675&seq=1&format=2

Or you can buy it now here:

http://shop2.sprint.com/NASApp/onli...subPageNumber=0

or here:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/expansys-mhl-to-hdmi-adapter-black-218572/

Or go to tmobile and buy the adapter they sell for the HTC Sensation 4G instore or online, it costs $20.

All these adapters have a micro usb cable that goes to your phone, an HDMI out and a micro USB port you plug the well charger to.

EDIT: Massive list here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1101352

Mr. Ali fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 11, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

The guy who told me about this literally did just this a week ago. He showed the Best Buy person WireFly's deal (showing them the website from his old phone), and they matched it. He ended up getting an EVO 4G for $1.

That's cool, I like the 20% deal, it's a few bucks cheaper and has 450 min/mo as opposed to 500; but otherwise is the same service.

This is a problem. The money I spend on the non-discounted plan over two months will negate the advantage of having the price matched. Why couldn't I buy the Everything Data 450 for regular price, get the phone price-matched, then go right home, log into the corp employee discount store from my work email address, and apply it right then and there. Why wouldn't it take effect immediately?

I am not porting a number from any other carrier or contract.

I'm not averse to paying the $199, I just don't want to if I don't have to. I'll probably have to drop that $50 just on a little protection for the device (I like a decent but not too bulky shell and screen protector.)

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Setting up a sprint account, sprint reps can setup the discount to be tacked on before creating the plan. Hence you can have the discount from day one. Best buy can't do that. If you don't have the discount added on before hand, you have to submit it to the discount department, and it technically takes a bill cycle or two. In my experience if usually hits by the next one, but for sure it won't be on the first bill of not setup right. I sent you a PM and can go over more of this.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Sorry for reasking but, do you guys know if I upgrade one phone on the family plan for a discount can I later upgrade another line without issue or do I need to upgrade all lines at once?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Each line has an individual upgrade date.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got an EVO 3D with about a year remaining on my contract. I would like to get my girlfriend an EVO Shift 4G and add her as a part of a family plan. Whats the best way to go about doing this? I've been reading about some kind of credit for switching carriers? She currently has AT&T, but is getting booted off tomorrow. How does the credit thing work. Thanks.

Scipio
May 27, 2003
Tender Warrior Poet
What's the cheapest android phone out now that supports infrastructure mode for wifi tethering. I'm thinking about getting a tablet, so I figure why get a high-end phone. I have a hero now, so practically anything will be an upgrade.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

So I'm looking to change my phone since it's about four years old and can't stay on longer than a day, even with a new battery. I'm looking to get another dumb phone without signing a contract. So two options I want to know about:

1. Can I unlock another CDMA phone and use it with Sprint?

2. I'm looking at getting the Sanyo SCP 3810 on sprint's site recertified. It says I have to change my phone plan if I want to buy it? I'm currently on some ancient plan with my family, Fair and Flex Family 800 according to the Sprint site. Is there a way to get one of these refurb phones without changing plans or is my only real option ebay/craigslist at this point?

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 11, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yergacheffe posted:

So I'm looking to change my phone since it's about four years old and can't stay on longer than a day, even with a new battery. I'm looking to get another dumb phone without signing a contract. So two options I want to know about :

2. I'm looking at getting the Sanyo SCP 3810 on sprint's site recertified. It says I have to change my phone plan if I want to buy it? I'm currently on some ancient plan with my family, Fair and Flex Family 800 according to the Sprint site. Is there a way to get one of these refurb phones without changing plans or is my only real option ebay/craigslist at this point?

You can keep your plan as long as you get a feature phone. The 3810 is a feature phone so that would not change your planl Assuming you just call, the 3810 is a great choice, my recommendation is pay the $50 outright, avoid signing a contract. If you do sign a contract make sure you call retentions in the OP first, since you are obviously long out of contract, Sprint is offering you extra incentive to sign.

Scipio posted:

What's the cheapest android phone out now that supports infrastructure mode for wifi tethering. I'm thinking about getting a tablet, so I figure why get a high-end phone. I have a hero now, so practically anything will be an upgrade.

All of Sprint's Android phones are 2.2 and can tether now (current phones). Cheapest are the Lg Optimus and Samsung replenish, the Samsung Replenish has a $10 a month savings over other smartphones. Fyi they are all 3G only, which of course only matters if you are in 4G. I would say the Evo is not that much more and definitely worth getting over either phone.

visuvius posted:

I've got an EVO 3D with about a year remaining on my contract. I would like to get my girlfriend an EVO Shift 4G and add her as a part of a family plan. Whats the best way to go about doing this? I've been reading about some kind of credit for switching carriers? She currently has AT&T, but is getting booted off tomorrow. How does the credit thing work. Thanks.

You will be signing a 2 year contract for adding a line on Sprint, every line has its own individual contract so it will not affect your line at all contract wise. Family plan on Sprint is $129 + $10 + $10, unlimited everything basically. If she is having her line canceled make sure you get to a Sprint store today to switch her over, can only transfer the line if its active. You just need the AT&T account number and info of the account holder (social). You will get a $125 credit in 61 days for switching.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

yergacheffe posted:

No. Just remember, you cannot use a phone on Sprint's network unless it has a Sprint logo on it. That means its serial number is in their database and allowed on the network (assuming it wasn't reported lost/stolen).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Ali posted:

EDIT: Massive list here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1101352

Aw, wish I would have seen that 50% off accessories T-Mobile coupon last month.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Is there a way I can turn off the button presses that activate the voice search and the overlay of 8 running programs? I don't even know what things my hand is touching to make those pop up but god drat is it annoying and I would love to be able to turn them off.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

sonicice posted:

Is there a way I can turn off the button presses that activate the voice search and the overlay of 8 running programs? I don't even know what things my hand is touching to make those pop up but god drat is it annoying and I would love to be able to turn them off.

The voice search button is from holding the search button on the end down, and the quick-program select screen is from holding the home button down on the opposite end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frickin weird. Sprint is ending the port in credit starting tomorrow. The promo was listed as going until October 1st. However:

"Sprint will honor the offer on a reactive basis only for customers who were aware of the offer before the program was cancelled... the site will remain live until oct 1st"

So basically, the promo is over, but if you say you knew about it you can still get it. Not too confusing or retarded, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

So basically, the promo is over, but if you say you knew about it you can still get it. Not too confusing or retarded, right?
So this would mean you have to call *2 and bitch then? Or locate the hidden URL?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I signed up for the credit and never got it, does it take a few billing cycles to show?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

blargle posted:

I signed up for the credit and never got it, does it take a few billing cycles to show?

60 days from activation IIRC

EDIT: I registered for my port-in credit 5/8/11 and never got it. I just called 866-877-7137, option 2. They manually applied the credit, it was a 2 minute phone call.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 11, 2011

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Duckman2008 posted:

Frickin weird. Sprint is ending the port in credit starting tomorrow. The promo was listed as going until October 1st. However:

"Sprint will honor the offer on a reactive basis only for customers who were aware of the offer before the program was cancelled... the site will remain live until oct 1st"

So can I still go to the store tomorrow and get my $125 credit when I sign up? A Sprint rep at a store told me about that promo and let me have a few days to think it over. Does that count?

I don't feel like going today...

halokiller fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 11, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

So can I still go to the store tomorrow and get my $125 credit when I sign up? A Sprint rep at a store told me about that promo and let me have a few days to think it over. Does that count?

I don't feel like going today...

Yeah you are fine. No like, "hidden url" its just not being advertised (I guarantee any Sprint rep will still be mentioning it). Retarded.

Edit: and to clarify: you always have to register at sprint.com/switchtosprint within 72 hours of switching the number to get the credit. They just don't want to advertise it anymore. I will also bet they will completely discontinue it by the end of the month, although that is just my opinion.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 11, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm about to sign up with Sprint for the first time. Can someone tell me if I can combine my AAA discount with the EPRP plan? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nope, you can't get any additional discount with EPRP.