Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If I want a four or eight port unmanaged switch, is there a recommended brand or model these days? And what about managed, just for fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

If I want a four or eight port unmanaged switch, is there a recommended brand or model these days? And what about managed, just for fun?

Unmanaged switches at those densities are commodity hardware these days, so pretty much any brand will do. I've personally had good experiences with the Netgear GS108 (unmanaged) and GS108T (web-managed, VLAN capable) models.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

So I recently moved in with some roommates and because I didn't want to wait for a wireless network card for my desktop to to figure out how to route ethernet to a basement, I took my TomatoUSB running E3000 and stuck it into Bridge mode hooked up to the router here. I anticipated having to troubleshoot things but it just worked, and now my desktop has internet. The problem is now I have no idea how to access the router administration page. Obviously the actual access point is 192.168.1.1 now, and I didn't set an IP so I assumed it got one via DHCP. I managed to log into the main router because chumps didn't change the default password on this ancient WRT54G, but I am not seeing anything new on the DHCP table.

How do I figure out where my router is so I can mess with it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

The problem is now I have no idea how to access the router administration page. Obviously the actual access point is 192.168.1.1 now, and I didn't set an IP so I assumed it got one via DHCP. I managed to log into the main router because chumps didn't change the default password on this ancient WRT54G, but I am not seeing anything new on the DHCP table.

How do I figure out where my router is so I can mess with it?

Uh, it ought to be in the DHCP table. How many entries are there on it? Have you tried just plugging them into your browser one by one?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
arp -a
That should list the cache table of known devices on the local network (ie. any that have exchanged ethernet packets). One of them should be the device you are after.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I ran through all 11 entries in the DHCP table from the gateway router and none of them were the bridge router. HOWEVER...

For whatever reason when I used arp -a the third time it gave me 192.168.1.1 with the MAC address of my bridge router instead of the gateway router. Without changing anything I could then reach the bridge instead of the gateway at that address at some point in time. Apparently both of them were trying to assume that IP address, but my internet was still working? I changed the LAN address of the bridge to 192.168.2.1 and when it rebooted I received a DHCP address in the range of the gateway instead of the range on the bridge. Internet still worked, but I can't reach the bridge at 192.168.2.1 via HTTP or ping and it isn't listed at all in arp -a or in the DHCP clients table...

I'm kind of amazed that I keep changing random settings and my internet works perfectly but I can't seem to see my bridge.

edit: After a bunch of annoyance after I managed to break it, I decided it worked best in Wireless Client mode in Tomato with the bridge router on the 192.168.0.* subnet instead. I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working/connecting to the gateway anymore, and I discovered that the E3000 can only connect to the WRT54G if the wifi network is set to B/G mixed instead of G-only...

I can't wait until I can just set this up normally.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 10, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cojawfee posted:

Somewhere in your house (check all the closets) is a box that contains all your cable hookups. These are your cables, so it is somewhere you can access. This box takes one cable from your provider and splits it off to all the outlets in your house. The filter will be on the cable that goes to your isp before the splitter.

If it's an apartment/condo it is very possible that he just has drops in his unit and the main trunk/split area is not accessible to him at all.

In that case you'd probably have to talk to the building maintenance people about having them throw it on your line.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Inspector_71 posted:

If it's an apartment/condo it is very possible that he just has drops in his unit and the main trunk/split area is not accessible to him at all.

In that case you'd probably have to talk to the building maintenance people about having them throw it on your line.

Could be, but my current and last apartment have had a box in the closet with all the cable outlets ran to it.

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I ran through all 11 entries in the DHCP table from the gateway router and none of them were the bridge router. HOWEVER...

For whatever reason when I used arp -a the third time it gave me 192.168.1.1 with the MAC address of my bridge router instead of the gateway router. Without changing anything I could then reach the bridge instead of the gateway at that address at some point in time. Apparently both of them were trying to assume that IP address, but my internet was still working? I changed the LAN address of the bridge to 192.168.2.1 and when it rebooted I received a DHCP address in the range of the gateway instead of the range on the bridge. Internet still worked, but I can't reach the bridge at 192.168.2.1 via HTTP or ping and it isn't listed at all in arp -a or in the DHCP clients table...

I'm kind of amazed that I keep changing random settings and my internet works perfectly but I can't seem to see my bridge.

edit: After a bunch of annoyance after I managed to break it, I decided it worked best in Wireless Client mode in Tomato with the bridge router on the 192.168.0.* subnet instead. I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working/connecting to the gateway anymore, and I discovered that the E3000 can only connect to the WRT54G if the wifi network is set to B/G mixed instead of G-only...

I can't wait until I can just set this up normally.

Your banging into subnetting here, first the routers both publishes their webconfigurators on 192.168.1.1 Subnetmask 255.255.255.0, which one you get will be somewhat of a crap shoot. The subnetmask tells your computer to which net it belongs to, in this case it masks out the x.x.x.1 portion of the ipadress, thereby only allowing you to communicate to hosts in the range of x.x.x.1 to 254.

Easiest solution is to set the E3000 to an ipadress in the 192.168.1.x range that is not in the dhcp pool, say 192.168.1.2. Unfortunately I think a bog standard firmware image of the WRT54G sets the pool to 192.168.1.2 to 254, so adjust that to say 1.10 to 254 instead.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Im sorry to keep coming in these threads and showing my ignorance, but you guys have been gentle enough and always helpful. Here is the latest of my lovely questions. I recently got my Nvidia Shield in the mail (its good I swear, dont give poo poo about that) and am wanting to upgrade my router to one of the recommended ones for the PC Game streaming. Here is the list of recommended routers

Apple Airport Express 2G A1392
ASUS RT-AC66U
ASUS RT-N66U
Belkin F9K1105 v2
Belkin F9K1118
Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
D-Link Dir 865L
D-Link Dir-860L
Linksys EA6500
Netgear R6250
Netgear R6300
Netgear WNDR4500
Trendnet TEW-812DRU
Vizio XWR100
Western Digital AC1300-J2F

I have three questions about this list. Will upgrading to one of these routers really help with game streaming from my machine? Is there any one that you all would recommend over the others? Keep in mind I already paid for a $300 emulator machine so I want to keep the cost low as possible. Also, right now I am using the DSL router that came with my Windstream deal, its a Sagem Fast 1704, is it going to be pain the rear end to substitute one of this for this router? I wasnt sure if this should go here or in the hardware thread, if I was wrong let me know and I will edit this out and post over there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can the shield use 5G N? If so, yes, it can make a difference. I went from 2.4Ghz N trying to stream HD video to my TV and it was buffering every few seconds. I went and got an RT-N66U and I've no problems aside from trying to watch Youtube on my TV because it won't try to load anything less than 1080p if its available which my connection can't do.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Can the shield use 5G N? If so, yes, it can make a difference. I went from 2.4Ghz N trying to stream HD video to my TV and it was buffering every few seconds. I went and got an RT-N66U and I've no problems aside from trying to watch Youtube on my TV because it won't try to load anything less than 1080p if its available which my connection can't do.

Im thinking it can because I just did a quick search through these routers and they support both 2.4 and 5. I went ahead and picked up the VIZIO XWR100 Dual-Band HD Wireless Internet Router because it was only $30 on Amazon so why not. I really should do more research on these devices other than "Ooh, look at the new thing coming out, I need that now."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I have an old Linksys BEFW11S4. It's been working well, but I got a new computer and now its started loving up. It'll run well for a bit, then just die. Looking at communication with Wireshark, I stop getting incoming traffic and the router won't respond to ARP. Internet dies on both computers. I reboot just the router (not the modem), and things come back. 2 computers on the network over wireless (B), nothing more strenuous than netflix and an mmo.

Things had been going fine for years, but I recently got a new computer, Windows 8 with a bgn wireless card. Things are much more stable when my new computer goes wired.

Is my router just dieing at the same time I get a new computer? Any recommendations? I think my requirements are lower than what the OP is aiming for.

E: gently caress it, apparently my router is 13 years old, got a referb E1500 anyways.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 13, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, I was going to say... that is a gently caress off old router. I don't think it ever supported anything above WEP.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It has some odd versions of WPA that may not be compatible with the WPA used today

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I have some of those... I use them to fix casings of the (somewhat) newer G models.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Argh, I'm pissed because my last attempt at one of these 2 years ago went pretty much flawlessly. LSS, we have a lovely Modumb/Gutter combo, and i bought an RT-N16 to put behind it in bridge mode. Before I was going to do that I was going to put on tomato USB as I did with the last, then the poo poo started.

I downloaded a K26 variant of Tusb from Toasty's mod (No, it was not a NVRAM60K variant), and got the firmware recovery tool as usual, put the router into recovery, and started it, it got to 35% and hung, I know wait 5 mins, but then I turned around and the router wasn't doing the recovery flash already, which was the first thing that seemed off. Decided to wait 6~7 minutes to be sure, power cycled, and "She's Dead, Jim.". The power light does not come on, the recovery button nor the WPS button being held makes no difference. The only light to ever show is a LAN light when I connect with my Laptop. I cannot connect with a static or DHCP, and obviously cannot telnet into the router due to it not existing according to my computer. Changing around various static IPs hasn't helped, nor has just leaving it for a while and trying again. Exactly how hosed am I here/

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
I'm about to move into a new place, and because open floor-plan, there's just no way I can get a cable from one half of my network to the other. I need to know what's the ABSOLUTE FASTEST non destructive thing that will get my computer connected through 1 wall and about 20 feet of air to the switch that my router and file server are plugged into. I don't care how much it costs. Powerline, MOCA, 802.11XX, whatever. It's an apartment so 2.4ghz is out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Network and data security is rather topical at the moment with illegal spying carried out by the New Zealand Defense Force which potentially implicates the NSA in unconstitutional activities against journalists, and illegal spying by the GCBS on a New Zealand citizen (Kim Dotcom) which resulted in an illegal raid by the STG (a section of the New Zealand Police). Along with the shut down of encrypted email services and various other leaked information that some people already knew but never really talked about. Would there be interest in penetration testing and other defensive tools?

I don't claim to be an expert in network security (I am far from it) but I don't mind going on a journey to inform. I know the op is out of date but routers change at the rate of gently caress all and the ac standard keeps changing whenever the FCC decides to add more frequencies.

Any opinions on this? I know this would provide an opportunity to make fun of my networking ignorance but I'm prepared to do it anyway.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Penetration testing for a home network seems a little extreme, but here's some quick things.

Basic security settings everyone should do.
WPA encryption
Non-default router password

Intermediate things to check
Run shields up to make sure you don't have any open ports and that upnp is disabled on your WAN port.

Advanced Stuff
Set up a VPN tunnel for all traffic on your router
Encrypt DNS traffic (maybe, not sure if this is worth bothering with) with DNSCrypt

Dumb stuff you should stop doing
Hidden SSID
mac address filtering.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

THF13 posted:

Penetration testing for a home network seems a little extreme, but here's some quick things.

Not to mention that the actual threat we're dealing with here is not of having your home network infiltrated, but rather every single service you use online willingly provide your data to the authorities.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Dumb stuff you should stop doing
Hidden SSID
mac address filtering.

My girlfriend's work laptop is forced to run Windows XP due to some legacy applications. For whatever reason, even though it has SP3 on, the wifi card simply won't connect to any network that has encryption stronger than WEP. To make matters worse, the whole system is locked down so that I can't update her loving drivers and/or troubleshoot her computer in any significant way, and no amount of bitching to the IT guys at her job will make them upgrade her card/drivers.

Conclusion, I had downgrade her wifi security at home to WEP so that she can work at home and the only thing I could do as any semblance of "security" was hide the SSID and set up a mac address filter.

It feels disturbingly similar to hiding from the monsters by covering myself with a blanket.

Fortunately she is in a 14th floor in a congested zone so her signal doesn't reach the street, which means I only have to worry about her neighbours, and not drive-by hacking.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My girlfriend's work laptop is forced to run Windows XP due to some legacy applications.

poo poo, I'd use a VM over using WEP. Though I doubt the problem here is XP SP3 as much as the laptop itself.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

poo poo, I'd use a VM over using WEP. Though I doubt the problem here is XP SP3 as much as the laptop itself.

The laptop is actually a fairly new Lenovo (E Series iirc) that originally came with Windows 7 and got downgraded to XP because of the legacy app.

I'm going to get her a new router, flash it with DDWRT, and set up a VLAN for her so that at least she doesn't put every other device in the network at risk.

The worst part is that we're talking a big-rear end multinational corporation. At the very least you'd think they'd worry about what kind of nasty malware she could be bringing in to the corporate network, but nope.

Then again, last week my girlfriend brought home a pendrive she got at a company event, she gave it to me, and when I plugged it in MSE immediately popped up an infection warning :facepalm:

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

Not to mention that the actual threat we're dealing with here is not of having your home network infiltrated, but rather every single service you use online willingly provide your data to the authorities.

I like the idea of listing basic stuff to do or don't do. Management of your own data. Not just having your data encrypted if it's stored in the cloud but maybe a section on how to actually set up owncloud so you can host your own data.

Penetration testing would be for educational purposes. Is it extreme? Yes. It would be informative, but I'll have to think about presentation of this.

In terms of privacy maybe a discussion of how meta data is collected and what is actually going on. It's pretty drat difficult/impossible to avoid going through a system that won't be collecting some sort of data. As you say a lot of services are just turning over data in bulk to whichever relevant agency. Education seems to be the main point here.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I picked up a WD My Net N900 today from Best Buy (where it was on clearance).

NewEgg had these on sale until today for $50, which makes me think they are trying to clear themselves of the N900 as well.

The reviews appear to be overall positive for a first time foray into wireless networking for WD, the price was right, it has dual band 450+450 N, 7 gigabit ports, 2 USB ports, etc. Combine this with the price and the fact that I had $30 in Best Buy credit, for a price tag of $20 to me and it was pretty much a steal.

I'm going to give this thing a shot for a few weeks and see how I like it. Anyone else buy one of these things?

Edit: What utility do the Mac/iOS users have to scan for local networks and network noise? I'd like to have something like what was being posted on this page or the last on Android (WiFi Analyzer).

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 14, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like the "halp my wireless broke" focus of the thread. It seems like if you wanted to start getting into that sort of thing it might be good to start a separate thread? Or not, I dunno.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I would definitely be interested in more talk on setting up your own OwnCloud or Kolab service to get more control over our own data, new thread or not. It'd be a neat project to work on, and a great resource for those of us who aren't exactly well versed in this stuff. It was a fun learning experience setting up my RT-N66U with an OpenVPN server before going on holiday so I could easily access pictures and videos and stuff to show family while away from home. I'd love to extend that into managing my own email, contacts, cloud storage, etc.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

I like the "halp my wireless broke" focus of the thread. It seems like if you wanted to start getting into that sort of thing it might be good to start a separate thread? Or not, I dunno.

I also like that aspect as well. The way I was thinking of presenting the information was in the second post after the OP. Making it optional, however it may poo poo up the "halp my wireless broke" with other stuff.

I think I'll focus on adding stuff like owncloud and put penetration testing and high end security stuff to one side for the moment.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

LaserWash posted:

Edit: What utility do the Mac/iOS users have to scan for local networks and network noise? I'd like to have something like what was being posted on this page or the last on Android (WiFi Analyzer).

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/inssider/id507308266?mt=12

I would like to hear about your experiences with the WD My Net.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Devian666 posted:

I would like to hear about your experiences with the WD My Net.

Coming off of a Linksys Wrt160n that did single band n, really great router, but five years old. We have two iPads, two iPhones, two apple tvs, three MacBooks, PS3, a server pc, etc. and run Netflix and Hulu and an airvideo server, on a regular basis. I couldn't help but think that this was stressing the linksys out a little.

So far, so good. The setup was easy and the firmware appears to be very basic. The real test for me is to see if this is really any faster than the old linksys, has better and wider signal, and whether or not the signal drops.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

UndyingShadow posted:

I'm about to move into a new place, and because open floor-plan, there's just no way I can get a cable from one half of my network to the other. I need to know what's the ABSOLUTE FASTEST non destructive thing that will get my computer connected through 1 wall and about 20 feet of air to the switch that my router and file server are plugged into. I don't care how much it costs. Powerline, MOCA, 802.11XX, whatever. It's an apartment so 2.4ghz is out.

I don't mean to be pushy, but I think my question was overlooked. I've done quite a bit of research into all the various methods for not cat-6 data transmission: MOCA, Powerline, and Wireless, and while its easy to see what's theoretically the fastest, I was hoping to get some insight about real world speeds.

Does anyone have any experience with 802.11ac through a single wall?

What about powerline?

I'm fairly certain MOCA isn't really affected much by distance (at least in an apartment)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

802.11ac is 5GHz, so most likely it will suck through a wall. But it's not like I have any experience with it. (Who would?)

Are you ruling out 2.4GHz just because it's an apartment, or did you actually run some wi-fi analyzer to see how crowded it is? Even with competing local networks, it's still a better option to reach my TV+consoles than 5GHz due to a single, thin wall severely reducing the latter.

What exactly is the problem with running a CAT-6 cable around? If you're considering MOCA, obviously there already are coaxial cables doing the same.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

5Ghz will go through more walls than you realize. I have my desktop using a Linksys AE3000 USB stick to a DD-WRT loaded WRT320N on 5GHz through one insulated wall and two interior walls (only covering about 20') and I show a solid four bars on the desktop. I do need to do an actual speedtest, though.

Powerline actual throughput is in most situations about 40Mbps.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My guess is if it's a thin not concrete wall 802.11ac would be fastest. Moca would probably be next fastest.

edit: A really strong 802.11n 5ghz signal would also be faster, but seeing as how there is a wider range of 802.11n equipment out there I'm not as confident in saying it would be consistently better than moca, depending on what gear you ended up with.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 15, 2013

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006

Jan posted:

802.11ac is 5GHz, so most likely it will suck through a wall. But it's not like I have any experience with it. (Who would?)

Are you ruling out 2.4GHz just because it's an apartment, or did you actually run some wi-fi analyzer to see how crowded it is? Even with competing local networks, it's still a better option to reach my TV+consoles than 5GHz due to a single, thin wall severely reducing the latter.

What exactly is the problem with running a CAT-6 cable around? If you're considering MOCA, obviously there already are coaxial cables doing the same.

Because the coax is already run through the apartment, and I can't drill holes, and my roommate balked at the idea of my stapling a cable around door frames and the like. The reason 2.4 is out is because I ran a wifi analyzer and found roughly 45 access points.

I may just have to buy some 802.11ac stuff and see how it goes. If I do, I'll come back and let you guys know how good/bad it is.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
EDIT: well poo poo, I managed to pull the device password out of the back catalog of my brain, so all is well. Still I'd like to know how to actually use a soft reset for future reference, in case it comes in handy.
---------------------------------------------------------

Loving my Airport Extreme, but I'm having a hell of a time with passwords here.

I got a prompt for a firmware update (via the Airport Utility on Windows 7) so I tried to install it. I was prompted for a device password, which I never remember setting. I put in my wireless network password and got nothing. Tried, like, my iCloud password and got nothing. I tried every password my past self would have considered setting. Is it possible I just never set this password for the device?

Apparently I can soft reset the device to change the password but not lose my other settings. This sounds like what I need, but I tried it and got nowhere. I held the reset button on the device for 1 second, which let me modify settings in the Airport Utility without password access. However I couldn't actually confirm any of my changes, and when the Airport snapped back into its regular operating mode I was right back where I started, being prompted for a password before I was allowed access to my settings.

What's weirder is that I don't remember having to enter a password just to access basic settings in the past. And I know I've made some changes to my options before.

This isn't really urgent I guess, since I can still use wireless without this firmware update, but it's bugging me that I can't seem to access any of router settings now. Any advice would be appreciated!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 16, 2013

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The router in my sharehouse is a Netgear DGND4000, and the owner and other people on this router have no idea what they are doing. Not that I do, but I atleast know a little bit. The routers got a 5ghz thing that noone has ever connected to, and I'm getting pretty lovely about the unreliable internet, so I turned it off and changed another setting from long preamble to short preamble, which according to google gives a slightly lower range for better performance, and I instantly got a 2mbs speed increase (to 5.5) and -20 ping to the same server on speedtest.

Is there anything else I should change? I looked at that DD WRT thing in the OP and this routers not on the device list, and I'm not sure I want to go that far with loving around with stuff that isn't mine. I also don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and limit everyone elses connections or anything like that, but stuff that will give everyone a better connection.

What are the fragmentation and CTS/RTS things as well, and should I change them? I don't understand what they do.

Should I also change the DNS settings to use google DNS and see if that helps?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 16, 2013

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
So as a test, I got a TEW-684UB (which is a dual band 450 usb wifi card) and connected it to my 5ghz Asus RT-N66U. I get roughly 16MBps (128Mbps.) This is going through 1 interior wall, a couch, about 15 feet of air, and an entertainment center. Results for my Linksys AE1000 (which is a dual band 300 usb wifi card) were about 11 MBPS (88 Mbps.)

Results for a brand new Intel 7260 (which is a dual band 2 radio 802.11ac mini-pcie card in a Zotac AD-10) connected to my Asus RT-N66U showed roughly 10MBps (80Mbps.) It's about 2 feet further away and only has 1 external antenna (where the other antenna lead goes off to I have no idea) I am considering trying an internal laptop type antenna and seeing if that helps.

Bottom line: 5GHZ signal penetration makes me sad, and 450mbps 802.11N isn't even close, although adding a 3rd radio did help. Also, Intel 802.11ac cards do 802.11n just fine.

UndyingShadow fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
I'm shopping for a new router but not quite sure what to get. I currently have a belkin n600 but it's beginning to take a crap.

There's 3 people living in a 2 story condo. My roommate is a hardcore gamer and streams pandora or a movie on his laptop while laying LoL. My girlfriend is usually on the laptop while streaming netflix on the tv. And I just browse on my phone or sometimes play flash games on the desktop, rarely I'll play D3 or battlefield 3.

I guess I don't really have a budget, I just want to get something that is suitable for our needs. Don't need all the bells and whistles.

So any recommendations?