Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Furism posted:

I have a couple of Raspberry 2 lying around and gathering dust. I'd like to turn them into Wifi Access Points for my home network in bridge mode (that is wire them to the Ethernet port and use the Wifi as a hotspot, when clients connect to the AP they get an IP address from the LAN DHCP server). Does anybody know of a good USB Wifi card, with an antenna, that supports bridging and AP? And known to work with Raspbian (which really means Debian, I guess)?

I attempted to do exactly that with a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB wifi adapter and a Raspberry Pi 2. I got it working using hostapd, but the performance was something like 2 Mbps. You have to be careful about picking your wifi card, because a lot of them don't support AP mode. The adapter uses the well-supported Atheros AR9271 chip. Wifi Analyzer on my cell phone said the signal was strong, but I think it might have worked better with the wifi card running from a powered USB hub.

As far as I can tell, support for wireless AC adapters is somewhere between very poor and nonexistent. Some cards work, but you will have to do some Github work to get a driver working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
All I want to do is run my stupid idiot useless 2B as a full time SETI@home screensaver and it's ridiculous and gently caress linux 100%.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I'm posting this on a Raspberry Pi 2 running Chromium for SBC 0.5 "Sam Kinison." The developers have done an absolutely amazing job since v0.4 in making the software usable on the Pi. There is some lag, and pages load more slowly than they do on my Lenovo Stick PC, or a real desktop computer, but the experience is definitely good enough for web browsing in a location where a full computer is not appropriate. If they can make this kind of jump again between now and the final product, they will have something pretty cool on their hands.

Youtube actually plays OK in full screen (480p stream quality on a 720p TV).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

PBCrunch posted:

Youtube actually plays OK in full screen (480p stream quality on a 720p TV).

It would even play nicely in 1080p because Youtube in HTML5 is MPEG4 (H.264) and that's hardware-accelerated by the SoC.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was thinking of rigging up a chat server on a spare Pi. I'd like it to be encrypted if possible, and just maybe accessible via a web browser, if that can be done simply and without thrashing king hell out of an SD or a USB drive. (In other words, I'd prefer not to set up a LAMP server or similar database-driven solution to accomplish this. But I'll do it if I have to.)

Another nice-to-have: to be able to store and deliver messages for offline users, for when they come online.

(What I wish I could do is install a somewhat modernized and accessible (from phones or web browsers) but still spartan BBC. That would be kinda fun.)

I'm guessing XMPP or IRC would be the way to go. Any recommendations for servers?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 29, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doctorfrog posted:

I was thinking of rigging up a chat server on a spare Pi. I'd like it to be encrypted if possible, and just maybe accessible via a web browser, if that can be done simply and without thrashing king hell out of an SD or a USB drive. (In other words, I'd prefer not to set up a LAMP server or similar database-driven solution to accomplish this. But I'll do it if I have to.)

Another nice-to-have: to be able to store and deliver messages for offline users, for when they come online.

(What I wish I could do is install a somewhat modernized and accessible (from phones or web browsers) but still spartan BBC. That would be kinda fun.)

I'm guessing XMPP or IRC would be the way to go. Any recommendations for servers?

For XMPP, I've used Openfire (formerly Jive Messenger) in the past with great success. Can use an internal database that you never have to touch, works with any XMPP client you'd care to name. But that project was only for purely internal stuff where security wasn't a big concern, so I can't speak to that side of it. A few years ago I did install the server on a Pi 1, just to see if it could handle it, and it took a LONG time to start up but worked okay after that. A Pi 2 or 3 would probably make it a lot more comfortable.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

doctorfrog posted:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-self-hosted-Slack-HipChat-alternatives-paid-or-open-source

Probably install MatterMost?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A few hops from your link led me to this article: https://sameroom.io/blog/self-hosted-team-chat-options-and-alternatives/

which is interesting. I don't know if any of them are going to be viable on the Pi, but since I don't know a thing about Slack or its competition, it was worth a read.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

A few hops from your link led me to this article: https://sameroom.io/blog/self-hosted-team-chat-options-and-alternatives/

which is interesting. I don't know if any of them are going to be viable on the Pi, but since I don't know a thing about Slack or its competition, it was worth a read.

My friend just setup RocketChat for his company, seems to work pretty well.

According to their github page it can run on an rpi.

https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ElCondemn posted:

My friend just setup RocketChat for his company, seems to work pretty well.

According to their github page it can run on an rpi.

https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat

https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.RaspberryPi

Interest piquing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I setup rocket chat as literally my first docker container app, ever. Took all of 90 seconds, even as a complete newbie.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

doctorfrog posted:

A Raspberry Pi is several times faster than the hardware that were used for major e-commerce deployments 15-20 years ago. (And even keeps up well in terms of I/O bandwidth.)

Of course it can handle a glorified IRC server.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

PBCrunch posted:

I attempted to do exactly that with a TP-Link TL-WN722N..... The adapter uses the well-supported Atheros AR9271 chip.
Be careful buying tp-link anything if you are after atheros chipset, many models (eg: TL-WN821N and TL-WN822N - the latter being one of the best adapters I've used) have switched to using realtek chipset and so don't offer the range of modes they used to.

You can tell which models are affected based on whether tp-link offers different drivers for different iterations of the same model (the TL-WN722N you mentioned appears to have been spared for now).

The Netgear EVAW111 used to be a real cheap ($9) way to get an atheros wifi adapter, because while it was sold as an optional wifi upgrade module for netgears wired media player, it was actually just a normal usb wifi adapter (one that probably had to be atheros to work with the presumably Linux powered media player).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap 10" pi screen? Looking on amazon it seems like there are a lot of Chinese sellers but the reviews don't seem very trustworthy.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Not what you're looking for but I got a 4.3" LCD screen (normally for parking cameras) with composite input for about 8 eurobucks off aliexpress. I know there are other solutions especially for the Pi but I just didn't wanna put a lot of work or money in it, I just wanted a tiny screen that'll display some numbers and is easy to just glue to something. I had no expectations and even though it's only composite I was very pleasantly surprised and it's very good for my use. All I wanted to say is that I wouldn't write off the chinese sellers or the reviews, especially considering that everything that has "Rasperry Pi" attached to it's name on eBay, amazon etc. is often the same cheap crap that comes from China, just at a price premium.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 3 pre-installed with NOOBS and am messing around with it. I have to say it seems a little daunting to mess around with and remind me a lot of my DOS/Windows 3.1 days (so far my attempts to sync a Bluetooth keyboard or even change the time zone have required delving into the DOS style command terminal).

I was looking at installing EmulationStation, but ended up with some really stupid questions. According to the instructions, I t looks like it wants me to create a SD card image. Would it overwrite NOOBS If I used the same SD card? Is it just a program or another OS like NOOBS? Is there anyway I can load up NOOBS and install EmulationStation from there, or do I need another computer?

Again, I feel like a real idiot for not figuring this out myself, but if anyone has any help I'd appreciate it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GamingHyena posted:

I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 3 pre-installed with NOOBS and am messing around with it. I have to say it seems a little daunting to mess around with and remind me a lot of my DOS/Windows 3.1 days (so far my attempts to sync a Bluetooth keyboard or even change the time zone have required delving into the DOS style command terminal).

I was looking at installing EmulationStation, but ended up with some really stupid questions. According to the instructions, I t looks like it wants me to create a SD card image. Would it overwrite NOOBS If I used the same SD card? Is it just a program or another OS like NOOBS? Is there anyway I can load up NOOBS and install EmulationStation from there, or do I need another computer?

Again, I feel like a real idiot for not figuring this out myself, but if anyone has any help I'd appreciate it.

Most likely you're going to want RetroPie if you're going to use the Pi as an emulator machine. - https://retropie.org.uk - Site seems down at the moment. Once it's up, check out the install instructions and ask away.

In answer to your question, yes, putting an image on a card blows away everything on it. It's just as easy to put NOOBS right back on if you want it in the same manner. (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 4, 2016

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I've had a Pi Model B sitting on my desk for five months and I want to do something with it already. I'd like to strip down an LCD monitor and lay it in a custom desktop pinball cabinet case for playing Farsight's Pinball Arcade. They don't make a version for Linux, but they do for Android, Steam, iOS, etc. Anyway, I'd like to put the Pi in the case and be able to control the game with arcade buttons.

I've also toyed with the idea of making the back glass of the case hold another monitor for NES/arcade emulation, and mounting a joystick and more buttons at the front top panel of the case.

Does any/all of this sound feasible? I'm ready to do this!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DammitJanet posted:

I've had a Pi Model B sitting on my desk for five months and I want to do something with it already. I'd like to strip down an LCD monitor and lay it in a custom desktop pinball cabinet case for playing Farsight's Pinball Arcade. They don't make a version for Linux, but they do for Android, Steam, iOS, etc. Anyway, I'd like to put the Pi in the case and be able to control the game with arcade buttons.

I've also toyed with the idea of making the back glass of the case hold another monitor for NES/arcade emulation, and mounting a joystick and more buttons at the front top panel of the case.

Android really doesn't run well at all on any Pi models, due to the ancient GPU. You would want to use one of the other single board computers around these days, because they have GPUs well supported by Android.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Does anyone know what the input from a touch screen looks like to the computer it's connected to? Is it just a USB output that acts like a mouse with finger-drags showing up as mouse movements and finger taps as mouse clicks or do they use some other system? How about multi-touch inputs?

I'm thinking about building a system using the rPi as a brain, a touch screen as a controller, and the GPIO pins to interface with some external hardware. If I could just program up a GUI that could function solely off mouse clicks and then connect a touch screen and have it all work together that'd be great but I've never played with touch screens before.

e: Anyone got a good guide on how to connect to the GPIO hardware interrupt signals from a c/c++ program? From my reading so far it seems like general non-interrupt IO is best handled through a set of file stream abstractions but I haven't found much on how to do an Arduino-like ISR callback function. Ideally I'd like to attach a bit of code to an ISR that would fire off when there is a rising edge on one of the interrupt pins, but it seems like this is complicated by having a non-deterministic OS sitting in the way. I would only need ~millisecond timing tho so maybe there's a way to make things work.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
I've been digging around trying to get something working with no luck, it's ssl fuckery but I'm working on a fresh install of jessie lite so I'm asking here.
I'm trying to use weechat (an irc client) and it's dumping out this error at the tail end, after it pulls in certs from the server:
code:
18:45:10    blol  -- | gnutls: peer's certificate is trusted
18:45:10    blol  -- | irc: connected to irc.*********.com/6868 (************)
18:45:40    blol =!= | irc: reading data on socket: error -110 The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
18:45:40    blol  -- | irc: disconnecting from server...
It's kind of been tough to troubleshoot, I haven't touched linux in a while, now I'm just trying to run an irc client behind screen on a headless pi. I know it's some kind of library version problem or something. Ironically I have no trouble connecting to the server from a lovely iphone irc app.

Please let me know if I should ask somewhere else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Touchscreen support can always fall back to only recognizing a single touch input and detecting it as mouse positioning and clicks. This can get weird with multiplefingers touching at once, but usually sticks with the first finger to hit as the cursor location.

Depending on precise drivers, you can switch between detecting multiple finger as multiple buttons (like say, 1 finger left clicks, 2 fingers right clicks) or straight up recognizing gestures from multiple fingers.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Great, thanks. This would be for something like "enter a code using an on-screen number pad/keyboard" so as long as it can be treated like a bunch of mouse click events I should be good.

I've just never tried going this particular route before and search terms like "USB" or "touchscreen" return predictably unhelpful results.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

DammitJanet posted:

Check out Retropie as they are all about making an old games machine out of a Pi. The buttons are supposedly easy as you just need to wire them into the GPIO pins. Lots of guides online and print about this as I think the current Magpi issue has a bit about it.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone have experience setting up the PI for torrent downloads?

I got as far as setting up a way to interface with the program by web or whatever, but none of them seem to work, I just get connection errors.

Is it possible to get a GUI version of Deluge or whatever to run on the PI 3 in raspbian? It's not a big deal not being able to access it remotely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rookoo posted:

I got as far as setting up a way to interface with the program by web or whatever, but none of them seem to work, I just get connection errors.

Is it possible to get a GUI version of Deluge or whatever to run on the PI 3 in raspbian? It's not a big deal not being able to access it remotely.

Which program are you trying, and what error are you getting?

Transmission should work fine (sudo apt-get install transmission) and should pretty much just work, right out of the box. It has both a regular GUI and a web interface that you can turn on if you like.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powered Descent posted:

Transmission should work fine (sudo apt-get install transmission) and should pretty much just work, right out of the box. It has both a regular GUI and a web interface that you can turn on if you like.

I think you can install an add-on for deluge on kodi/xbmc or some other kind of torrent app.

To add on a question to the response, are there any guides of how to use a Chinese knock off xbox 360 wireless adapter to retro pi? I can get the fake working successfully using the article below on Windows. It requires you to point to a specific version of the adapter drivers

https://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/fake-microsoft-xbox-360-wireless-controller-adapter-in-windows-7-64-bit/

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 8, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
It looks likes there are multiple drivers people have written for Linux. IDK what stuff like SteamOS uses, but maybe look here for getting started:

http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Another vote for transmission. If you also install Transmission Remote GUI on your main PC you can use it exactly the same as if you had a torrent client like uTorrent installed locally.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Rookoo posted:

I totally recommend using rTorrent with the ruTorrent front end. Works flawlessly, even with auto-dl and RSS feeds.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rookoo posted:

I did this with Deluge on a RPi 2 running Raspbian but with remote access following this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-bittorrent-box/

It worked great, although after several months I got tired of being bottlenecked by the Pi's pitiful I/O options and moved to a regular PC.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys, transmission appears to work, though it could also be due to me modifying my network settings. Cheers.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
I think similar questions have been asked before, but I was wondering whether you guys could clarify something for me:

I'm looking at putting together a photo booth/selfie station type thing for parties. I'd like it do do the following, upon a button press

1)Start a countdown. I was thinking of using 5 LEDs for this, coming on 1 per second
2)When the countdown has elapsed, fire the raspberry pi camera module.
3)For the second or so around the shot, power up a couple of lights
4)Store said photo on a SD card
5) Ideally, I'd like it to upload to some kind of image host as it goes.

Would a Raspberry Pi 2B be able to cover that, in terms of memory etc? I've seen similar builds that have had to use arduino, but they've also used full DSLR cameras, so would have higher data throughput, I'd assume.

Excuse my ignorance on this, it's the first big-ish project I've done with this sort of rig.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd use a 7 segments display for the countdown but yeah it should be very doable.

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd use a 7 segments display for the countdown but yeah it should be very doable.

I considered that, wasn't sure if it would be easier or more complicated. Thanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was some talk a while ago about using the pi as a whatever server and the other options on the table.

I ended up having to replace my mom's computer with a new one this week for Mother's Day. I ended up getting a Broadwell based (Intel recent gen) PC called an MSI Cubi off of Amazon for $150, 8gb ram for $30 and a Samsung 250gb msata SSD for $89. Nearly $300 all in, but that's just it, that's all in, and it will do XYZ for the foreseeable future, being multi core and USB 3.0, wifi, 64 bit, dual HDMI out, Bluetooth, etc etc. Also comes with a case, VESA monitor mount (bolts to back of a PC monitor) and power supply. Also has the ability to hold a regular 2.5" laptop hard drive in addition to the msata drive.

Not as hacky or as fun as a pi, but a pi with wifi, BT, significant storage, case, power supply etc will run you close to $100 before you even plug it in. The big advantage of the pi in my opinion is the direct access to the pwm and gpio pins. If you're just using it to hook up to a network or HDMI display, an Intel based design might be more up your alley.

I forgot to take a direct comparison photo but it's not much larger than a B+ in it's case, watch for scale:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 12, 2016

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm thinking about setting up a little retro gaming box with RetroPi. What's the best/cheapest vendor to use?

edit: preferably w/ case, power and SD card

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 12, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Deadcell27 posted:

I think similar questions have been asked before, but I was wondering whether you guys could clarify something for me:

I'm looking at putting together a photo booth/selfie station type thing for parties. I'd like it do do the following, upon a button press

1)Start a countdown. I was thinking of using 5 LEDs for this, coming on 1 per second
2)When the countdown has elapsed, fire the raspberry pi camera module.
3)For the second or so around the shot, power up a couple of lights
4)Store said photo on a SD card
5) Ideally, I'd like it to upload to some kind of image host as it goes.

Would a Raspberry Pi 2B be able to cover that, in terms of memory etc? I've seen similar builds that have had to use arduino, but they've also used full DSLR cameras, so would have higher data throughput, I'd assume.

Excuse my ignorance on this, it's the first big-ish project I've done with this sort of rig.

Last year I built something very similar to this. My purpose was a little less fun -- I was about to start a diet and wanted to take weekly photosets of myself to document the weight loss process -- but it's basically a general purpose photo booth. (If you're curious, the diet is going great and I'm now down 50 pounds, with only ten more to go until I'm back to my "fighting weight". No, you can't see the pictures.)

Anyway, I built the photobooth thing out of an original Pi Model B, a Pi camera module, an old keyboard, and a PiGlow for feedback -- I didn't want to leave a monitor plugged into it all the time, so it just blinks the LEDs to tell me what's happening. The interface is pretty darn rudimentary, being just a thing I threw together for whatever functions it occurred to me to have handy. For example, hit P on the keyboard to ping the router and see if the wi-fi is still alive: it'll blink green if it worked or red if it didn't. (If it's dead, hit B to bounce the network connection.) Or hit S to start a photo sequence -- it'll blink red twice, yellow, twice, green twice, then turn on the white full-blast while taking the photo. Then do that twice more for the other angles I want. The pictures get named with a date stamp.

Coding it all from scratch was actually a fun little weekend project, but if you wanted something to start from, I could probably be persuaded to post my python code.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys know if there's a application or something where I can set up a joystick so that when you press one way it plays a video and when you let go it stops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

Do you guys know if there's a application or something where I can set up a joystick so that when you press one way it plays a video and when you let go it stops?

You can configure your joystick to send keyboard commands. I'm sure if you look up the keyboard shortcuts in your favorite media player it would work just fine.

If you want it to be more responsive or be more of a gradient you'll have to write some code.