Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So anyway, I've decided that besides waiting for Tokyo, the other thing I want to do in TSW is roll an alt to see the story again, since the story is really good and it's been over a year since I've played through it.

I have no idea what kinds of leveling builds work these days, though. My first character was a total mess since I was more interested in just filling out decks for cool outfits than making any kind of functional build, and in any case that was like well over a year ago so I barely remember it and the game's been patched a bunch of times since then.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

HughGRect posted:

Speaking of 10.1 customs, the new one in Tokyo is exactly the same as the one from issue 8 only in a different major slot. The issue 8 one was the necklace that gave a blue.5 attack, healing or health signet.
Uh, Issue 8 was the belt. Issue 7 had the neck piece. edit: I think you're saying Issue 9 is a major with the signets that give a flat boost to HP/attack/heal? Which side does the talisman go on though? I have a 10.5 for one of those...

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 11, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Any advice?

I stand behind Chaos/Blade and AR leaching/Anything builds. Here are a couple inner wheelish builds that should be easily attainable then grow them out as time goes on.

Chaos / Blade
Actives:
Escalation - Builder
Balanced Blade - Blade Consumer
Schism - Chaos Consumer
Illusion - Oh poo poo Clickie
Sleight of Hand - Oh poo poo Clickie
Martial Disciple or Turn the Tables - More Oh poo poo Clickie
Domino Effect or Stunning Swirl - Monotony Killer

Passives:
Intensity
Chaos Adept
Lick Your Wounds
Whatever - Until you can get Leeching Frenzy
Whatever - Until you can apply debilitate from 12 gouge or Insult to Injury
Whatever - Until you can apply afflict from something like Blood Sport
Probability - Elite

AR / Whatever
Seriously, this might sound condescending but that isn't my goal, just take anima shot and never die.
Actives:
Anima Shot
Fire in the Hole until you get Three Round Burst

Passives:
Anima Boost and other passives that increase damage and/or healing.

The secondary weapon is whatever you want for utilities: Pistol has some healing boosters, Melee for an AoE consumer dump w/ clickie survival, Fists for more healing, chaos for movement and utility, really whatever you want.

Zephonith posted:

Uh, Issue 8 was the belt. Issue 7 had the neck piece. edit: I think you're saying Issue 9 is a major with the talismans that give a flat boost to HP/attack/heal? Which side does the talisman go on though? I have a 10.5 for one of those...

Meh, little details. But it goes in the ring slot (top left).

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Which slot?

Edit: Missed this page.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Was curious if there were any guides on the testlive forums related to AEGIS. All I found was self entitled twats who think they won the internet because they are 'senior members' of the TSW test live community. Yup, not going back there, ever.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

HughGRect posted:

Was curious if there were any guides on the testlive forums related to AEGIS. All I found was self entitled twats who think they won the internet because they are 'senior members' of the TSW test live community. Yup, not going back there, ever.

Stockholm syndrome is a pretty amazing thing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

AEGIS is basically shields that mobs have now. The mission right before Tokyo gives you a good understanding of it. You can slot two items, one for each weapon. The item can be one of three types, that allows its weapon to damage one of the three shield types. The items only let you do like 5% of your normal damage to shields at base level, but the shields are also only 25-250~ hp. Different mobs have different shields (zombies are usually demonic, cyborgs are cybernetic, ghosts are psychic, etc...), so right now you only have to deal with one at a time, but some can have multiple types layered on eachother. Looting bags from dead AEGIS mobs gives you XP in both of your currently equipped items, and you can upgrade them to higher QL levels once they're at 100% xp, using stuff you buy from the Tokyo vendors. There are drops you can equip that give you effects, but they all seem pretty minor right now.

It's basically just more vertical progression (the only thing I can think of is that layered shields could change up dungeons a lot), but a ton of the mobs now have cool telegraphed attacks that need to be dodged, so they did actually make the content more meaningfully difficult.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

AEGIS is basically shields that mobs have now. The mission right before Tokyo gives you a good understanding of it. You can slot two items, one for each weapon. The item can be one of three types, that allows its weapon to damage one of the three shield types. The items only let you do like 5% of your normal damage to shields at base level, but the shields are also only 25-250~ hp. Different mobs have different shields (zombies are usually demonic, cyborgs are cybernetic, ghosts are psychic, etc...), so right now you only have to deal with one at a time, but some can have multiple types layered on eachother. Looting bags from dead AEGIS mobs gives you XP in both of your currently equipped items, and you can upgrade them to higher QL levels once they're at 100% xp, using stuff you buy from the Tokyo vendors. There are drops you can equip that give you effects, but they all seem pretty minor right now.

It's basically just more vertical progression (the only thing I can think of is that layered shields could change up dungeons a lot), but a ton of the mobs now have cool telegraphed attacks that need to be dodged, so they did actually make the content more meaningfully difficult.

So basically Funcom realized they've let the game go stagnant for so long players would have zero trouble popping every mob in like two shots so they had to add these shields to slow that down?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone want to run some dungeons for old times sake?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slummed some elites with pubbies only to discover bugs I've been reporting for months still aren't fixed such as:

Eruption still not working on slopes.
Machine Tyrant still being resettable.
Being able to jump behind the spider in Ankh.
Melothat having hit detection issues.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Len posted:

Slummed some elites with pubbies only to discover bugs I've been reporting for months still aren't fixed such as:

Machine Tyrant still being resettable.

Why would you ever want this fixed? Like 90% of goon MTs were spent running back to the Pipe Sanctuary

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I always go behind the spider. Every time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Why would you ever want this fixed? Like 90% of goon MTs were spent running back to the Pipe Sanctuary

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I always go behind the spider. Every time.

I'm not gonna lie I do both of those things all the time. I just think it's kind of weak that Funcom banned me for saying something like "You haven't bothered to fix the Machine Tyrant reset bug or the fact I can skip to behind the spider in Ankh" and they still haven't fixed those two bugs.

The pubbies I ran with were pretty chill and we spent a lot of the dungeons talking about how Funcom can't program to save their asses and all the different bugs that do/did exist in the game.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

I'm starting to run out of things to do in Solomon Island besides running dungeons and story. I'm down.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Anyone want to run some dungeons for old times sake?

I kinda do. I've logged in a couple of times here and there to try to find a pubbie group for 18s or whatever and no one ever does them anymore.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
Well...in a channel called "noobmares" you'll always find people willing to run dungeons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

extraordinary posted:

Well...in a channel called "noobmares" you'll always find people willing to run dungeons.

Ain't nobody got time to run nightmares with beginners that aren't in mumble.

Which brings me to my main point. If any of you newer people want a body to help you out with dungeons I'm game. Add me on steam and hit me up. If I have time I'll help you through almost anything.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Ain't nobody got time to run nightmares with beginners that aren't in mumble.

70% of the noobmares channel is veterans willing to help noobs through the dungeons. But 40% of those veterans are the same tools who like to put noobs down for standing in poo poo. and 99% ± 1% of those noobs rage quit or become bitter noob hating vets. Circle of life.

quote:

Which brings me to my main point. If any of you newer people want a body to help you out with dungeons I'm game. Add me on steam and hit me up. If I have time I'll help you through almost anything.

If you get hit up to do some baby goon 18's let me know, I need practice.

MrLlama254
Dec 9, 2013

Len posted:

I played Secret World for like a month at launch and then got busy with other games and forgot about it. Recently I re-installed the game and just went through all of the missions for the story, but I have been having trouble getting decent gear and finding groups for the three elite dungeons in Transylvania.

I've heard that many people hate doing The Facility, but if you don't mind helping then I'll hit you up on steam sometime this week. My gear may suck but I have enough MMO experience to know not to stand in environmental damage crap.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
People hate doing Nightmare Facility. Regular (Elite) Facility rules.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Facility and Slaughterhouse elite are awesome. Look forward to NKL-107 :haw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

People hate doing Nightmare Facility. Regular (Elite) Facility rules.

Facility has the best lore in the game. Elite Facility is pretty reliable to do but NM we never quite got down to farm status like some cabals did.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

orcane posted:

Facility and Laughterhouse elite are awesome. Look forward to NKL-107 :haw:

Fixed it for you

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I went to hospital during a Nightmare Slaughterhouse run so I can assure you that it is Goon Approved.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Count me as one curious about the Transylvania dungeons but unable to find pubbies actually capable of doing them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Count me as one curious about the Transylvania dungeons but unable to find pubbies actually capable of doing them.

Facility and Slaughterhouse both have very high DPS checks. This is a problem partly because the player base are idiots who are incapable of playing well, and partly because Funcom doesn't do proper testing (no, seriously, they don't test for balance or anything, just scripting) and don't understand their own game. Funcom staff are not capable of clearing some of the Nightmare dungeons. They just set things as they wish and assume the player base will find a way.

Both of these are problems, but the Funcom side is the bigger one. If players are bad, that's their problem. If Funcom creates unreasonable content, that's everyone's problem.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And if they notice people are beating their awesome and well thought-out encounters with always the same abilities and clever use of game mechanics (I'm not talking exploits here), they'll nerf those and just hope people can still beat the encounters with other (usually: worse) tools or rely on the latest vertical progression systems (raid gear, augments, soon AEGIS if they can, I bet) to brute force things.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

HughGRect posted:

70% of the noobmares channel is veterans willing to help noobs through the dungeons. But 40% of those veterans are the same tools who like to put noobs down for standing in poo poo. and 99% ± 1% of those noobs rage quit or become bitter noob hating vets. Circle of life.

Except not at all. I've played a ton with noobmares and never, not a single time, have come across anyone berating or bitching at newbies on a run. It's a cool channel with cool people. Which is a good thing since all other avenues for finding groups except that LFG clownboat channel are dead.

Only problem with noobmares is that actual newbies seem to be too shy of starting groups and often when a group starts, it's just filled with those 10.4-5's that roll over the 24 or whatever faster than LFG channels "fast/exp/gear/blowjob" groups.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fewd posted:

Except not at all. I've played a ton with noobmares and never, not a single time, have come across anyone berating or bitching at newbies on a run. It's a cool channel with cool people. Which is a good thing since all other avenues for finding groups except that LFG clownboat channel are dead.

Only problem with noobmares is that actual newbies seem to be too shy of starting groups and often when a group starts, it's just filled with those 10.4-5's that roll over the 24 or whatever faster than LFG channels "fast/exp/gear/blowjob" groups.

Are there any other channels you (or anyone really) recommend? I will add them to the OP.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Well, there's #sanctuary. Haven't spent much time in it but it's some kind of global help/ooc/byob channel. Might find groups there too.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
A friend of mine got me this game, and he and another fellow and I have been playing together and so far at least the leveling/story part is pretty decent so in that respect it's worth the time. We did the first two dungeons and so far I'm also enjoying the fist/blood healing I decided to try out.

Besides picking up a couple of more or less mercifully silent pubbies for dungeons I have no real experience with any of the player base at all. In the first couple zones there was little to no general chat, which is fine but strange and I guess can be chalked up to an mmo that isn't terribly popular. So I guess I'm just trying to figure out how the community is. So far since I have just been playing with a couple friends I haven't been in a rush to find any goons in game and I can only hope those that do play are a decent bunch, but is the public community as a whole significantly better or worse than other games or are they par for the course?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'd say it's about par for the course, in that it is terrible, because every online community is terrible in some way or another.

It's still more pleasant than, say, reading Barrens chat in 2006 was, but maybe that's just because nobody is playing in general these days. :v:

(Which barely matters in terms of enjoying the game, frankly, since what TSW brings to the table is excellent story and atmosphere and art and sound design and being super creeped out, not the depth of its social interactions or whatever.)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

A friend of mine got me this game, and he and another fellow and I have been playing together and so far at least the leveling/story part is pretty decent so in that respect it's worth the time. We did the first two dungeons and so far I'm also enjoying the fist/blood healing I decided to try out.

Besides picking up a couple of more or less mercifully silent pubbies for dungeons I have no real experience with any of the player base at all. In the first couple zones there was little to no general chat, which is fine but strange and I guess can be chalked up to an mmo that isn't terribly popular. So I guess I'm just trying to figure out how the community is. So far since I have just been playing with a couple friends I haven't been in a rush to find any goons in game and I can only hope those that do play are a decent bunch, but is the public community as a whole significantly better or worse than other games or are they par for the course?
Unfortunately, I think most of us who play this from time to time are basically waiting for the Tokyo update to drop and haven't really been logging in much. The pubbies who play this game are a bit weird in terms of being a community and I think a lot of the ones who don't just do the max level dungeons repeatedly are playing the same waiting game we are so it seems fairly empty.

TSW still has an absolutely fantastic singleplayer story experience and if the Tokyo update drops any time soon there'll be a bunch of us back around. If you're trying to do stuff in game and you really need extra people you can usually get hold of a bunch of us through Steam. I think Len posted his either this page or last page but mine's http://steamcommunity.com/id/lljkmercurius/ if I'm online and you need a hand.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Constantly getting people asking how to get through the side mission with the phone and the church in Kingsmouth, feels like yesterday :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

The TSW community is both nicer and worse at video games than the average MMO community.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
So the advanced plan for the enjin site has lapsed, which is fine, because the free plan works well enough, but it did take our mumble down with it. If anyone was wondering where the mumble went, that's where.

It's probably a lot more cost efficient to just rent a separate mumble server, at the moment. Or maybe use camping the stairs, or something? I have no idea what the 'policy' is for that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Frankenstein Dad posted:

So the advanced plan for the enjin site has lapsed, which is fine, because the free plan works well enough, but it did take our mumble down with it. If anyone was wondering where the mumble went, that's where.

It's probably a lot more cost efficient to just rent a separate mumble server, at the moment. Or maybe use camping the stairs, or something? I have no idea what the 'policy' is for that.
If you go on there and ask a guy whose name I forget he can set you up a channel. I did that for the SA gamedev a couple of years back, though nobody ended up using it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Yeah but that won't have any of the silly channel pictures and stuff in it. I can throw another 30 days at it if it'll reactivate the mumble as well?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
All the regulars have my mumble info anyway I think. It's up as always and has TSW channels, not that it matters what channel you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Mercurius posted:

Yeah but that won't have any of the silly channel pictures and stuff in it. I can throw another 30 days at it if it'll reactivate the mumble as well?

I have no idea! It's your call! I actually thought we had some more time left on the extra slots for the server, which would have kept it live, but I guess it doesn't work that way. :I

Forgiveness, please.

[edit]

Well, I threw $10 at it and it did not restore the mumble server. Gonna send a ticket to support to see if they can change it to the old address before I go any further with configuring it. I doubt all the other things like channel names are salvageable, but who knows?

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread