Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the thing. Even before Sora's crest was glowing she was being team mom and helping everyone on the down low. Taichi accepted what he did wrong and got his crest to glow after he'd rescued Sora and confronted his fear of dying.

Yamato getting his crest to glow amounted to saying he was sorry and going immediately to Garurumon evolving without showing anything in between. That's kind of why it didn't feel earned. He knew what he had to work on, and then... doesn't have to work on it. And then he repeats the same mistakes in the Dark Master arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's the thing. Even before Sora's crest was glowing she was being team mom and helping everyone on the down low. Taichi accepted what he did wrong and got his crest to glow after he'd rescued Sora and confronted his fear of dying.

Yamato getting his crest to glow amounted to saying he was sorry and going immediately to Garurumon evolving without showing anything in between. That's kind of why it didn't feel earned. He knew what he had to work on, and then... doesn't have to work on it. And then he repeats the same mistakes in the Dark Master arc.

I'll allow it because it let the amazing Tai Beats The poo poo Out Of Matt scene happen.

And that was fantastic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Not too sure about the whole Purity thing but really, Mimi's super power is just being Mimi.
I still prefer the "Sincerity" translation because it makes a hell of a lot more sense. Especially see her arc in Tri, where the lesson isn't "be pure", it's a reminder to be who you are, and to absolutely own every part of it. Hell, you could argue that she's the only member of the team who actually has self-confidence, and it's entirely because she knows exactly who she is, and isn't ashamed of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The crests are the themes of whatever episode starring the kids are about. Tai's a courageous sort so he shows courage in most episodes about his growth. Sora's the Team Mum so she shows love. Matt's a jerk so he has to get over that and be a better friend in episodes about him so his is friendship. And then he has to be an rear end again until the next time he shows friendship to grow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I always saw the kind of Purity her crest refers to being purity of mine and sense of self, free of impeding self-doubt or selfishness for her own sake. Mimi owns who she is, yes, but she also has to find a way to balance who she is with the kind of person who's helpful to the people around her. There's owning who she is, yes, but Mimi pre-character development was pretty bratty; contrast how she ends up with how she started out, where she'd, not necessarily with malice mind you, say Palmon looked weird or in poor-taste, or whine a lot and impose on people like she did in the Centarumon episode or the one with the Gekomon.

You can be pretty "sincere" about things while being a brat about it, so I don't really think it works. It fits the events in Tri, but overall I don't think it fits her overall character development.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
'Pure' in the sense of the crest of Purity is closer to Razorsaw's interpretation. Again, going back to the Novels, Koushiro is thought of as a 'Weirdo' by girls Mimi's age and she just doesn't know why, when she first lands in the Digital World, she believes the creatures to be aliens and her to be an ambassador for them. She's a very simple, childlike mentality. Her 'Purity' is like Goku's Purity in Dragon Ball, an honest expression of the self with no lies or kowtowing to societal expectations.

Via that, Mimi's arc in Tri IS still the same, she learns that no, even if things annoy people, she needs to be true to herself. An Honesty/Sincerity works far better for Jou, who is pointedly very conflicted about what he wants and coming to terms with it and making decisions was what he needed to tap his power.

Do note that the original 7 partners were designed in such a way to encompass the trait that each child showcased. Agumon is courageous, Gabumon, though shy, is incredibly friendly, Gomamon, even if he's a mouthy poo poo, isn't ever going to lie to you and pretend he's someone else, Palmon is a flower child in the most literal sense, very down to earth and natural, Tentomon, while not AS intelligent as Koushiro is still very knowledgeable. You can argue that Patamon isn't very "Hopeful" but I think he is, and of course 'Light's such an abstract concept how do you even represent it. But remember, their partners were made in a lab, to be the perfect companions for the chosen children. Given that they were selected for specific traits, it makes sense that they initially represented the best parts OF those partners. Hell, Biyomon is a love-freak I'd say, to the point that Sora, who was initially very hostile, had to open to her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I could see that.

Man, "stop giving so much of a poo poo about what society thinks" is a hell of a message to see coming from a Japanese series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are a few series that tackle that theme and they're almost always pretty great. You see it crop up a fair amount of times in Toku too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, I know, it's just weird from a cultural standpoint.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The bonus for the LE of Hackers Memory have been (properly) revealed

https://twitter.com/Digimon_game/status/918695928386674691

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/180db_130/status/919573049141223424

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, his bugged me as well. He never displayed the great loyalty that his crest was supposed to center on, but got his form second just because.

I’m also annoyed that Mimi’s took so long. She had a perfect opportunity to activate it, nut MetalGreymon evolved again instead.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Hey at least theirs all activated before the 3rd to last episode. I don't know how much more hopeful a little kid could possibly have been.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

zimbomonkey posted:

Hey at least theirs all activated before the 3rd to last episode. I don't know how much more hopeful a little kid could possibly have been.

It's even worse in the novel, where HolyAngemon appears literally for the final battle, he only gets to evolve for Apocalymon (where spotlight is shared, so he doesn't get to do that much).

Admittedly, HolyAngemon must be a bitch to write around, considering his special move is a one-hit kill.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's even worse in the novel, where HolyAngemon appears literally for the final battle, he only gets to evolve for Apocalymon (where spotlight is shared, so he doesn't get to do that much).

Admittedly, HolyAngemon must be a bitch to write around, considering his special move is a one-hit kill.

Here is literally all MagnaAngemon does in ALL of Adventure

He either single handedly overpowers the enemy and saves the day

Or he just floats around in the background and does jack poo poo

This INCLUDES Tri now. MagnaAngemon is the Schrodinger's Digimon. He's either going to do something amazing or he's just gonna gently caress around in the background there is zero middle ground

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s only a one but kill with a lot of caveats, but we’ve had that discussion before.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like he's canonically stronger than War Greymon (and thus Metal Garurumon and Imperialdramon Fighter Mode) but he just

Does nothing. He's just there. Waiting. Maybe he'll do something maybe he won't!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

It’s only a one but kill with a lot of caveats, but we’ve had that discussion before.

The issue is less that it's a one-hit kill and more that that's all it is. The anime never tries to give it other moves (you'd think they'd get more use out of that beam sword) so it kind of forces Holy Angemon to, as Burkion pointed out, either do nothing or insta-win.

It basically feels like the Adventure writers should've thought that powerset out a little bit more. At least let it shout EXCALIBUR and slice people up or something, it can do that in Rumble Arena 2!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’ve been over the issue of how strong Angemon and his evos are so many times, I’m not eager to revisit it. Burk, you know my thoughts about that. Let’s just leave it there.

And yeah, when you get down to it HolyAngemon in the show as portrayed is kind of boring. He has other attacks they could have used too, like Soul Banish.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like the idea of a digimon with a one-hit kill that only comes out in dire situations or some other limiting factor (which tfr has more then asequately explained is the case), but that idea does tend to mean it has to come late. i wish there was a minor villain magna could have fought so he could have done more, specifically a light enemy to let him showcase his other moves

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like the idea of a digimon with a one-hit kill that only comes out in dire situations or some other limiting factor (which tfr has more then asequately explained is the case), but that idea does tend to mean it has to come late. i wish there was a minor villain magna could have fought so he could have done more, specifically a light enemy to let him showcase his other moves

SkullSatanmon would have been perfect for that in Adventure 02

Honestly in Tri, so far Seraphimon hasn't done anything MagnaAngemon couldn't have done instead. I seriously don't understand why they shoved Seraphimon out the gate so abruptly.

At least Seraphimon was going toe to toe with Meicoomon's mega level and keeping her held back but MagnaAngemon's big moment in Tri?

Nothing. He FINALLY shows up in that last episode and just stays in the background while everyone else gets poo poo on.

It's super frustrating because, yeah, the dude is more than just Gate of Destiny.

He's got a goddamn laser sword, an energy shield, magic powers, and is physically stronger than Black War Greymon. Let him DO something for the love of Christ

You let Seraphimon get into a fist fight but not the guy with the light saber

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly think Seraphimon just popped up anticlimactically because... by their perspective it was something Patamon could already do. He was there for five minutes, sure, but the third movie was the third movie, it still gets acknowledged in official productions, and Japanese kids' anime have a looser concept of continuity than western stuff, so there was no reason to make a big deal out of it or put it on a poster. You'll notice Holydramon isn't on a poster either, if that is indeed going to be her canonical final form, and the never before animated Falldown Mode IS.

as for HolyAngemon, the Perfects are also old news. None of them really stood out in that fight, they just seemed to be there out of obligation. It disappoints me because Garudamon is one of my favorite digimon and she hasn't done poo poo either.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't buy that, and it's a poo poo excuse for a really poorly done thing.

No he couldn't go Mega before this, the third movie isn't in canon even in the loosest sense.

I really hope we find out who Gatomon's real Mega level is just to put that to rest already.

Though I propose that, if they never do reveal it, we all agree her true final form is Ophanimon Fall Down Mode.

I think we can all agree that is the most hilarious option

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whether you say it's canon or not, it just comes down to how the creatives treat it. Even if it's not canon, it's already something that was a big part of promotion for a movie, appeared in a not insignificant role in one of the anime, and has been a Digimon who gets promoted more than the average. You can't say the same about a bunch of the others; the most Hououmon has ever done in any digimon media is hover in the distance in its stock art pose in Tamers.

There's no way the Movie Wars movie with Kamen Rider OOO and Double is canon but they still treated Eiji and Shoutarou as knowing each other.

Things making sense to that degree just isn't something Toei cares about.

edit - and the most hilarious option is Betsumon being her final form. Or disturbing. Not sure which.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/t_features/status/922645600889225217

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That is weirdly the cleanest and best executed one yet.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb4QEiiX92M

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kinda has a Persona 5 feel to it, in its aesthetic. I hope that stays.

I also hope that Coronamon gets some love, too, not just Lunamon. :ohdear:

:swoon: I WANT ONE

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

OmegaShoutmon, KaiserGreymon, Vritramon, Garmmon, Dinobeemon, MagnaGarurumon, Valdurmon, Goddramon, Breakdramon, PileVolcamon, Susanoomon, Dorughoramon... man they're really going all out on the digimon roster.

Only thing I really wish was there is VictoryGreymon and Z'dGarurumon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I figured that Keramon was going to suffer as a mode since the Rookies tend to with these figures but part of Keramon's charm in the first place is that it's a naturally :downs:-y little gremlin so that doesn't detract much.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 24, 2017

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Those are also some very well angled poses and shots. We know that one of the main transformation steps has to be "turn the entire fucker around, the arms are painted half-and-half", but looking at that picture you can't tell the color thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Those are also some very well angled poses and shots. We know that one of the main transformation steps has to be "turn the entire fucker around, the arms are painted half-and-half", but looking at that picture you can't tell the color thing.
It looks like the color-separated arm-bits rotate, at least, so no matter the position, if you're careful, you can get the right colors for a shot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82kM4NEBXtg

Uh, they changed Sistermon Noir, now she's named Sistermon Ciel and is light blue instead of black.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure if she's meant to be the same Sistermon. Their clothes are completely different, including what animal they're based on, and Ciel looks a lot more calm than the constantly-trigger-happy Noir. She seems to be a brand-new Sistermon that replaces Noir for...some reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if she's meant to be the same Sistermon. Their clothes are completely different, including what animal they're based on, and Ciel looks a lot more calm than the constantly-trigger-happy Noir. She seems to be a brand-new Sistermon that replaces Noir for...some reason.

in any case, Noir is the one in the Japanese version

EDIT - hey everyone, I made a thread for Digimon Games in the Games forum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838454&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post477694947

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Quick everybody, post your favorite Christian Digimon songs!
I'll start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnT0ZOjJKT4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Quick everybody, post your favorite Christian Digimon songs!
I'll start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnT0ZOjJKT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsL0DO-c1E&t=15s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digisoul posted this cute short comic and I fully recommend it, it hits all the right spots of Digimon World nostalgia while just being super cute and good.

https://twitter.com/sinobali/status/914345032748077056
First image, follow from there. I don't think linking all of them is a particularly good idea, it'd just make this post unbearably long and Twitter-y.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a way to see them all in one row instead of having to make multiple clicks per panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Is there a way to see them all in one row instead of having to make multiple clicks per panel?

Not that I can find. Artwork Bali's Facebook page has them out of order, so even trying to navigate through Facebook is not great. Digisoul.net has them all together in an album (so they all appear one below the other) but with the explanations in Spanish.