Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

If there is any other way to receive golf tips I don't know I've seen it.

If you thrive on negative reinforcement or snark, for sure lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

If you thrive on negative reinforcement or snark, for sure lol.

We can't all have a Meeseeks for a teacher.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't know what that means.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I don't know what that means.

https://youtu.be/sPRvewfTzOI

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Well that's a thing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Shot a really great 59 in this scramble (no mulligans allowed), and that's with 3 good friends who would each be happy to ever break 90 on his own ball. I didn't expect to break 65, but that 59 was good for 3rd. 1st place was a 55. I figure we left 3 shots MAX on the course:

• I hit a beast of a drive on a par 5 that left us 100(!) yards. 4 mediocre approaches to a bizarre pin location resulted in a 2 putt birdie.
  • I cut a dogleg on a par 4 and left us 78 yards in to a green light pin. 4 bleh approaches, 2 putt par.
  • I cut another dogleg on a par 5 and left us 152 yards in. I was the only one to hit the green, and I barely did that after tugging a PW. Had close to 50 feet, and we 2 putted for birdie.

Even if we had gotten those 3 strokes, that wouldn't have been enough. The 55 was posted by a group that looked like Ron White and 3 Larry the Cable Guys. They were wearing fishing shirts! Ugh! Not to judge outward appearances, but I'm not buying it. 2nd place was a 58 from the group in front of us, and they definitely hit way more than 58 shots.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thank you for sharing every scramble story every, again, forever.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Thank you for sharing every scramble story every, again, forever.

I credit a few of the longer drives to these sweet Pumas you helped pay for.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've only played in one scramble where it was obvious the winners cheated. I've never played in ones with crazy good prizes though, I can see that bringing out the worst in people.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

I've only played in one scramble where it was obvious the winners cheated. I've never played in ones with crazy good prizes though, I can see that bringing out the worst in people.

That's what blew me away. All these guys are coaches and teachers in the district; it's not that they're inherently honorable - they all know each other, and there were plenty of boos when the winners were announced.

And they won a golf polo. That was 1st place prize.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I thought it was common knowledge that scrambles/outings where all about who has the least amount of shame cheating. That's who always wins.

That being said I love scrambles and outings for charity and whatnot. It's always a fun time out with friends. It's also the best teeing up after someone plays a safe shot in the fairway. Walking up to the tee knowing you can really go after it never gets old.

I do play in one scramble every summer that is serious/try hard. They have people on every hole so you can't cheat and there is serious money to be won on skins and for first. It's a ton of fun getting real serious about a scramble, we got 3rd last year! Even won some skins.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

If you haven't shaved strokes in a scramble and proudly turned in a card 20 strokes under par while your whole group is visibly drunk to win a dozen golf balls I don't know what to tell you.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

dangling pointer posted:

If you haven't shaved strokes in a scramble and proudly turned in a card 20 strokes under par while your whole group is visibly drunk to win a dozen golf balls I don't know what to tell you.

I would totally sign up for the try hard scramble with a ref on each hole. I don't get drunk on the course anyway so :shrug:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember someone showing it to me when I was a junior but it's actually useless because launch angle is significantly different from loft, and grass conditions will change that, as will the shape of the back of your club

This was a tip by Phil Mickelson in a Golf Digest in like 1994. Launch angle is generally less than loft, but the lie angle does a pretty good job of making that adjustment for you.

And you're supposed to step on the club such that the face is parallel to the ground.

I guess it's an open question as to whether it constitutes an abnormal use of equipment in breach of rule 14-3.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Kameh posted:

I would totally sign up for the try hard scramble with a ref on each hole. I don't get drunk on the course anyway so :shrug:

The scramble with refs at each hole is one of the rounds I look forward to most each year. The last 2 years we played the course a couple weeks before to practice and just completely nerd out talking strategy. Most teams are the same way because he combination of how much money you have to lay out to play and how much you could win brings out some great competition.

If you live around Ohio and are ok with possibly losing over $500 on a round of golf we're looking for a fourth! One of our guys moved to the west coast - we used his shots the least last year anyway. :wave:

I rarely get drunk on the course too actually, I enjoy myself more if I can be on top of my game and hit nice shots. The exception is a couple of outings I do each year with friends who golf once a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

If you live around Ohio and are ok with possibly losing over $500 on a round of golf we're looking for a fourth! One of our guys moved to the west coast - we used his shots the least last year anyway. :wave:

where do yall play?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Any course recommendations for New Orleans? I'm going to have Friday to myself most of the day.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played Wildcat Highlands in Houston. Had it to -2 through 4, then back to back bogeys on 7 and 8 brought me back to even. Birdied 10 and 13 to go back to -2, bogeyed 14, broke driver on 15, chipped in for par on 17, made clutch up and down for par on 18 to shoot -1. 9 putts on the back 9 kept me in it. Shelved my Scotty Cameron for a Taylormade Ghost Spider putter. I feel very stable over the ball, and my speed was on today. Shortest birdie putt was 6 feet. Made 2 outside 30 feet, and a lot of my up and downs on the back 9 were putts from the fringe.

I'm bringing my driver to Golf Galaxy tomorrow afternoon, but I'm not sure they'll be able to save it. :( It broke a quarter inch above the adapter, but it's not a stock shaft they'll swap out for me.

Playing with the back up Nike driver at a different course tomorrow morning. Obviously if I shoot a terrible score, it's the driver's fault.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nice round!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Worst nine holes of the year for me last night, didn't make a par until the final hole. I was pulling and hooking everything and I couldn't chip or putt either. The one upside was we were the first group to tee off so we finished by 6:00 and my whole evening wasn't gone.

This afternoon and tomorrow are supposed to be gorgeous so I'll hopefully grind my way out of this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Amazon has a deal on Calaway's hitting net, mat, and 35 ball capacity retriever/dispenser for $113, which doesn't seem bad at all if you're in the market for a setup like that

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I have that net. It's decent. The mat sucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah basically every mat is gonna suck but if you want to do a garage or rec room set up it's better than nothing

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Anyone have a Titleist 917 fairway wood? Do you like it? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
How does a mat help with practice? I'd be worried about practicing bad swings without some sort of feedback mechanism of seeing the ball flight.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone have a Titleist 917 fairway wood? Do you like it? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Not quite the same, but I hit the 917 driver in the simulator. Was 8 yards longer than the Cobra F7 I tried right after, and I game an F6+.

So basically go buy the 917F. And maybe the 917D.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit posted:

How does a mat help with practice? I'd be worried about practicing bad swings without some sort of feedback mechanism of seeing the ball flight.

at times that's all you can do just to keep your swing in check, especially in the winter months around here.

I'll also chip off it into a smaller net every once in a while. not the greatest feedback but it's something

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So Dufner is just obliterating The Memorial. Good lord

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Part one of the Mark Crossfield + Andy Sullivan rematch is up here so the rest should be posted later today and tomorrow.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Go DUF

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Picked up a Mizuno MP600 today for $50 excited to hit the range later this afternoon and try it out.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The weather pretty much hosed me out of any golf in NOLA while I'm stuck here for a wedding. The one chance I had to go, I made a beeline for what I thought was a muni course(not gonna drop a bunch of money when it was a forgone conclusion I would get a rain check I couldn't use). Well Bayou Oaks is described as a " city park " course. Popped in and they wanted $120 greens fees.... :negative: TPC Louisiana was cheaper than that on tee off. Hopefully this stupid wedding will be over early enough tonight that I can get home and get something in before back to work.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

The weather pretty much hosed me out of any golf in NOLA while I'm stuck here for a wedding. The one chance I had to go, I made a beeline for what I thought was a muni course(not gonna drop a bunch of money when it was a forgone conclusion I would get a rain check I couldn't use). Well Bayou Oaks is described as a " city park " course. Popped in and they wanted $120 greens fees.... :negative: TPC Louisiana was cheaper than that on tee off. Hopefully this stupid wedding will be over early enough tonight that I can get home and get something in before back to work.

Sending you my energy. Houston's getting enough on/off rain to keep me off the course until Tuesday at the earliest. And I just got my driver back from the shop.

I don't know where these courses are in relation to you normally, but though I've never played in New Orleans, there are a load of great courses in Lake Charles, just up I-10 W a few hours. They're also about $40 and under.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

just up I-10 W a few hours.

Just keep going on the ten and I'll see you in Los Angeles, we tee off at 7:48A tomorrow morning :P

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

EnsGDT posted:

Just keep going on the ten and I'll see you in Los Angeles, we tee off at 7:48A tomorrow morning :P

He wouldn't be there until 7 pm tomorrow!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I live on I-10 in the Florida Panhandle. I feel ya. Talk about a boring drive.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

I live on I-10 in the Florida Panhandle. I feel ya. Talk about a boring drive.

You played Sawgrass a while back, right? How much was it, and which courses did you get to play?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Kameh posted:

You played Sawgrass a while back, right? How much was it, and which courses did you get to play?

Because MY WIFE plans a lot of meetings, we were there as a part of a convention for meeting planners, where they wine and dine the hell out of you, in hopes that you will use the Sawgrass Marriott's meeting spaces. They comped my round at Dye's valley($120). This was last August and the stadium course was being renovated. Dye's valley was loving perfect, that's the only way I could describe it.

I was in J-ville/ Orange park area in February and played Eagle Landing which was also awesome. They have church pew bunkers on a couple of holes. Great course. Totally worth $60

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2017

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
See, I played Sawgrass in the low season like 7 years ago, and it was $299. I want to say that they were offering a night at the Marriott and a round at both courses for $500, but I can't find evidence of that anywhere. Maybe they did but no longer do; I see 3 nights and 1 round at each course for $307/person/night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

They gave us a tour of the PGA and champion locker rooms, and got us drunk in the PGA players' lounge. It was fun.