Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
he used to work for the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, all this would make so much more sense if he was trying to sell pre-orders or some kind of Star citizen like continual funding. What makes it so odd is there seems to be no reason to keep faking it, yet if he's actually working on it then this is the shittest way to handle things he could possibly do. Josh is either some 4d chess master troll or some kind of opposite-genius game developer.

As I've said before, I think the big hint was the action resolution mechanism for the game: if you attempt a task, it must be successful; it just might take a ridiculous amount of time.

Normal Adult Human posted:

he used to work for the government

As a contractor. These are the people the government hires after downsizing career employees (if they don't end up rehiring the career employee as a contractor for more money.)

The American government is in enough trouble without being associated with Josh. :colbert:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh wow this thread is still going huh. I was hoping for more Shadows Behind the Throne updates but sure, all the best to that other guy, I hope putting up videos again brings him a sense of personal fulfillment almost as good as that time he tricked his friend into giving him all that money.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, all this would make so much more sense if he was trying to sell pre-orders or some kind of Star citizen like continual funding. What makes it so odd is there seems to be no reason to keep faking it, yet if he's actually working on it then this is the shittest way to handle things he could possibly do. Josh is either some 4d chess master troll or some kind of opposite-genius game developer.

If you don't provide proof you are working on the project every four months or so, the feds can come after you.

The videos are 3 months apart.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Would they really for a failed Kickstarter? I thought KS basically said if people don't seem to be making an effort after getting money they'll look into it but there's no guarantee that anything you back will ever come out/be good and backing is done at your own risk.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Darkrenown posted:

Would they really for a failed Kickstarter? I thought KS basically said if people don't seem to be making an effort after getting money they'll look into it but there's no guarantee that anything you back will ever come out/be good and backing is done at your own risk.

This is to cover Kickstarter's liability, not the project creator's. Project creators can still legally be committing fraud through kickstarter.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Surely you have to prove it was fraud rather than they just tried and failed though? Josh can't be tied to making Snooze sim for the rest of his life until it's a perfect game, right? If he just stops or even pushes out whatever he has and says well I gave it my best it would surely be less effort than mocking up a video every 3 months for life to keep a fairly small amount of KS money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
LOTS of confusion here

Rookersh posted:

If you don't provide proof you are working on the project every four months or so, the feds can come after you.

The videos are 3 months apart.
could you point to where this is an established standard? tons of projects never bothered providing any sort of proof or anything for this, even ultimately successful ones and ultimately terrible ones (check https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/charliebrumfield/artisan-dice-does-handcrafted-polyhedrals for an example of the latter). it's been literal years since artisan dice wrapped up and most people still don't have their dice. brumfield just sort of fucks around on his website (http://www.artisandice.com/) running a normal nerd business while hundreds of orders remain unfilled for whatever ridiculous reason. he hasn't bothered to address the matter for the better part of a year now.

the recourse is basically 'get hosed' until someone hires a lawyer to prosecute a civil suit. the feds are absolutely not getting involved. and in this case, it's a much clearer bar because brumfield HAS a successful, day to day business and is simply NOT DOING these other orders for whatever reason (they're probably too expensive for him to tolerate). this is substantially different than josh's situation because...

Count Uvula posted:

This is to cover Kickstarter's liability, not the project creator's. Project creators can still legally be committing fraud through kickstarter.
fraud is a MUCH different bar to hit than FAILURE. FRAUD must show a willful attempt to deceive. that's literally what you must show in your case. FAILURE just means that someone had the best intentions but couldn't meet them. failure happens a ton in the business world and the primary disillusionment with crowdfunding among a lot of people is just them realizing what investors have known for centuries - failure isn't only an option, it's the norm. tons of people were under the impression that if you just threw money at a thing it would magically come to be.

josh is a loving idiot and has done a lot of wrong but fraud is gonna be a pretty high bar to prove in his situation. i think the biggest thing in your post is the word 'can'. fraud statutes are deliberately written vaguely so dorkamunguses can't go fleece people and then push up their glasses smugly in court and go "well, TECHNICALLY--" not even everyone in this thread believes that josh is a huckster as opposed to a well intentioned idiot. darkrenown has the right of it, basically - it's absurd to think that he would be pushing these out to maintain some legal shield.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think it's simply that people don't like to admit they've failed and they don't like to admit they've let others down. And as soon as you start down the road of lying about stuff to avoid letting people down, it becomes easier and easier just to keep lying, and harder and harder to come clean.

I got caught up in a web of lies as a teenager when I flunked out of college, I lied and said I wasn't struggling to my lecturers, then I started lying to my family about how I was doing, then before I knew it I was telling outrageous lies to excuse why my work wasn't in on time, and eventually it culminated in a massive, horrendous lie to justify why I was dropping out before I was kicked out. All the lies built up piece by piece, but by the time I was dropping out, the stress of the lies had led to depression, and by the end of it telling the truth was completely out of the question, the only two solutions I could even entertain to the problem was more lies or to kill myself.

I think Josh is on a similar path.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand, maybe Josh is also mistakenly working under the assumption the feds are out to get him for fraud and believes in this flimsy facade for a legal defence that he'd never have to use anyway.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe the Feds are out to get him for unrelated reasons and the updates are so sporadic because he can only post them when the van he's living in is close enough to an unprotected wifi network to upload an update and then roll out before the Feds can close in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zaodai posted:

Maybe the Feds are out to get him for unrelated reasons and the updates are so sporadic because he can only post them when the van he's living in is close enough to an unprotected wifi network to upload an update and then roll out before the Feds can close in.

Cracked the case wide open.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He's basically Neil Breen. :aaa:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zaodai posted:

This is now my headcanon.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Zaodai posted:

Maybe the Feds Elder Gods are out to get him for unrelated reasons and the updates are so sporadic because he can only post them when the van he's living in is close enough to an unprotected wifi network to upload an update and then roll out before the Feds Gibbering Horrors can close in.

FTFY

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zaodai posted:

I'd like to play a game like this, actually. You run a pirate radio station from a van, and have to run when the Feds approach. Your choice of radio stations can affect how fast they come after you, and you can upgrade your fan and/or connections to give various benefits.

I'll have JPEGs ready for purchase Soonish™

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Darkrenown posted:

Honestly, I want want him to release whatever mess he has so I can click on the old ones and read their lore and imagine what a working game featuring them might be like.

new pdox franchise confirmed. can't wait!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Reveilled posted:

the only two solutions I could even entertain to the problem was more lies or to kill myself.

Ah, the human condition.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

new pdox franchise confirmed. can't wait!

Paradox should just make a game similar to this and then just spend the rest of eternity adding in DLC to just add ridiculous bloat to everything. They should also call it Victoria 3.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Well. Triumph is announcing something on the 18th.

quote:

Finally some big news: We will announce our next game during PDXCon in Stockholm on May 18th 2018! Yes, this game is turn-based and yes, this game should appeal to Age of Wonders fans! You can also be there with us at PDXCon, where our parent company Paradox Interactive celebrates the universes and communities of their games.

I can live in the vain hope that Pdox convinced them to make an Eldritch god simulator, right? :ohdear:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Grinning Goblin posted:

Paradox should just make a game similar to this and then just spend the rest of eternity adding in DLC to just add ridiculous bloat to everything. They should also call it Victoria 3.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Zaodai posted:

During the research of lore the game, he happened upon a secret so startling and terrible it fractured his very sanity. While probing the mysteries of the old ones and generating artwork for the game he accidently alligned the symbols agreed upon by mankind's ancestors seduced and consumed by other worldly powers. The alignment drew him across time and space and he spent years in terror and fear, surviving off of strange plants in an abandoned city and avoiding the strange oilslick creatures that skulk her shadows. When he returned, only two months had passed but the evidence he left behind drew the attention of a mysterious government agency, and when they finally track him down in whatever stronghold he's built and semblance of a life he's assembled, he's forced to align the symbols and 'escape' to the dead city or risk capture.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i think he's just kinda malicious and really bad at video game making

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bogart posted:

Sure, but that's not as fun of a story.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zaodai posted:

Sure, but that's not as fun of a story.

don't rain on my headcanon parade

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bogart posted:

I'll bet you're a blast at parties.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ynglaur posted:

I'll bet you're a blast at parties.

no, i just play shadows behind the throne

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thyrork posted:

I can live in the vain hope that Pdox convinced them to make an Eldritch god simulator, right? :ohdear:

It's Age of Wonders 4, if you ask me. AoW 3 was amazing, and I hope AoW 4 keeps the quality up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy poo poo, the madman's just gone and done it. Excited to hit play as soon as it's done downloading!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

CommissarMega posted:

It's Age of Wonders 4, if you ask me. AoW 3 was amazing, and I hope AoW 4 keeps the quality up.

They even found the time to issue a patch for AoW 3. I never really got into 2, but the first Age of Wonders was fantastic, and 3 was a blast as well. I can only expect amazing things from a fourth under Paradox's label.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the new poo poo im into is called spires of sorcery. its by the eador devs so you know its going to be awful.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
but eador is good?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
at least the original game, i haven't played the 3D remake

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the new poo poo im into is called spires of sorcery. its by the eador devs so you know its going to be awful.

spire of sorcery looks really cool and I'm onboard with the fact that the character they used to show off their random character generator was a fat douchebag

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I legitimately thought he'd put out another fake video and i'm disappointed.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

dogstile posted:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

dogstile posted:

:same:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

cock hero flux posted:

spire of sorcery looks really cool and I'm onboard with the fact that the character they used to show off their random character generator was a fat douchebag

Yeah. I'm hoping Spire ends up satisfying the hole in my life this trash fire opened.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The new Eador was balls, but Gremlins Inc had some genuinely good ideas about strategy games, and the dev blogs for Spire indicate they at least are approaching it correctly. Be nice if it comes out good, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It's both a relief and a disappointment to wake up to this instead of more insanity.

• Locked thread