Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

I really hope this is one of the 99/100 times they're wrong, but Bleeding Cool is reporting that someone at DC told them that they're killing off Tim Drake soon. So of course at the moment when I feel that they're finally turning around they are going to kill off my favorite DC character. Goddammit please be wrong.
I can't imagine this being real, if only because I want to believe DC has learned its lesson about killing/brutally maiming Batman sidekicks after doing it four times. Tynion would probably have a heart attack too if he found out he was finally getting to write his favorite Batman character in an ongoing and editorial wants to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

New 52 Batman character ages don't make a lot of sense at all when you think about them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Didio's blood lust for Robins must be satisfied.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Dan Didio's blood lust for Robins must be satisfied.
He can't touch Dick Grayson, so he must kill every other sidekick that exists around him. First the Bat ones, then the Titans next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

He can't touch Dick Grayson, so he must kill every other sidekick that exists around him. First the Bat ones, then the Titans next.

He came really, really close to getting rid of Dick after multiple tries. Poor Tim is just going to bear the brunt of his wrath.

But seriously, under his watch we've seen Stephanie and Damian die, Jason come back to life, Dick nearly bite it multiple times. I think Dan might actually hate Robin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

I can't imagine this being real, if only because I want to believe DC has learned its lesson about killing/brutally maiming Batman sidekicks after doing it four times. Tynion would probably have a heart attack too if he found out he was finally getting to write his favorite Batman character in an ongoing and editorial wants to kill him.

This explains why I've loved Tim's characterization so far in what we've seen of Detective Comics. I'm hopeful if this is true that it's his favorite character there's no truth to this. Or maybe they're just killing the Tim that is Batman Beyond right now?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It would make more sense to kill him off in Batman Beyond. I would hope not, cause I think it might be cool to have him be a supporting character, but it's pretty clear editorial is pushing Jurgens to make the comic less a continuation of Futures End (which everyone hated) and more like the original show (which everyone loves.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just don't see why they'd kill Tim off in BB instead of, you know, rebooting that comic entirely. Nobody liked "Batman Beyond except nothing like Batman Beyond besides the costume". Can Dr. Manhattan not erase 10 years of horseshit alternate timelines?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some suggestions for a customer, what are the all time best Darkseid stories?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I need some suggestions for a customer, what are the all time best Darkseid stories?

The Great Darkness Saga is one I always remember being thrown out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The "big three" I'd say are:

The Great Darkness Saga
Rock of Ages
Final Crisis

But a lot of Kirby's stuff, Crisis on New Genesis Cosmic Odyssey, that kinda stuff is all good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

The "big three" I'd say are:

The Great Darkness Saga
Rock of Ages
Final Crisis

Well I had two of those three already suggested!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can you get him the Fourth World omnibuses?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can you get him the Fourth World omnibuses?

Out of stock at Diamond.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Superman: The Animated Series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Superman: The Animated Series.

Ooooh, good suggestion!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-killing-joke-movie-is-a-disaster-right-down-to-its-1784176711

Unsure if this is the correct thread for it, but I was already uneasy about them making The Killing Joke a full rated R animated movie.

Basically the Q&A turns into a really uncomfortable poo poo show with Azz calling someone a pussy in the crowd.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-killing-joke-movie-is-a-disaster-right-down-to-its-1784176711

Unsure if this is the correct thread for it, but I was already uneasy about them making The Killing Joke a full rated R animated movie.

Basically the Q&A turns into a really uncomfortable poo poo show with Azz calling someone a pussy in the crowd.

The animation thread is the thread you seek. Several pages worth of people talking about it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jiro posted:

This is so completely hosed up on every conceivable level. Jesus christ. I've lost so much respect for Timm, Conroy, Strong and Hamill for being a part of this. Just gently caress this entire enterprise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Conroy, Strong and Hamill for being a part of this

I'm pissed too, but I don't think these three can really do much about it? I'm sure they were signed on before they were knowledgeable enough to stage a feminist strike.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I'm pretty sure Hamill just wanted to read some of the Alan Moore dialogue. Problematic or not, the book has some great lines for Joker.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I can't blame voice actors. It's a tough business and Conroy is the only person anyone will accept as animated Batman. He doesn't have creative control over the script.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd rather not bring the mood down in two threads, so please if you're going to talk about the animated movie take it to the animation thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well then in good news, Tom Taylor is coming back for the Injustice 2 tie-in comic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm finally getting around to reading Jamie's solo series pre-New 52 and I really wish I read this one first instead of the New 52 version.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is injustice good? It's on the dcbogo sale and I have no idea if it's worth it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'd just wait for the second one.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

It's cool, but starts rough.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

JoshTheStampede posted:

Any of the books written by Tom Taylor are good. Anything written by Brian Buccellato (takes over half way through Year 3) is unremarkable and not worth reading imho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think he means the comics, not the game. Though the game's good too, if you're down with NetherRealm's recent fighting engine.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Oh yes sorry. I love the first game, I was asking about the comics.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Oh yes sorry. I love the first game, I was asking about the comics.

I haven't read them but what I see repeated when this conversation comes up is that Taylor's books are good and the other guy starts off rough but gets pretty good later on in his run.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If you're going the stick to just Tom Taylor's portion of Injustice, make SURE you include his annual issues. They go above and beyond, especially the Year Four issue about Plastic Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jiro posted:

Awesome. Azz called my friends pussies for not approaching him at the bar at C2E2 last year. They took it as an honor. I lorded the title of mother fucker over them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also back on the Jason-As-Punisher thing, the thing about (well written) Punisher is that they never really try to sell you the idea that Frank Castle is a good guy. In fact, Frank Castle is almost exclusively a massive piece of poo poo beyond redemption. He's obsessive and wrathful and has nothing in his life outside of killing bad people. Even if he's killing bad guys or even helping less Gray heroes, he's never a good person.

Jason however they're constantly talking about his struggle to mix the hardcore heroing and being a not total piece of poo poo.

Also most Heroes in Marvel hate the Punisher and fight with him.

It also feels like Todd when in Batman stuff only deals with three people. Batman (For being his former Mentor), Joker (For killing him) and Black Mask. (Because he is always fighting with Black Mask for some reason. Edit now that I think about it. It's probably because they are both named after a Color and a piece of Headwear, Red Hood, Black Mask.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 24, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

The animation thread is the thread you seek. Several pages worth of people talking about it.

Thanks didn't mean to slight derail.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I picked up the Silver Age JLA. Despite The New Frontier being my favorite ever, I never got around to reading much Silver Age DC until recently.

Snapper Carr is so loving lame. :cripes:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I picked up the Silver Age JLA. Despite The New Frontier being my favorite ever, I never got around to reading much Silver Age DC until recently.

Snapper Carr is so loving lame. :cripes:

I say this as someone who really likes the Silver Age Justice League comics, but those things can be an acquired taste.

Gardner Fox's writing is very formulaic (pretty much every story includes the team breaking up into three teams and fighting three smaller threats that tie in to a larger threat in a frame story; he did the same thing when he wrote Justice Society in the '40s) and he doesn't do much to differentiate character voices (compare contemporary issues of Fantastic Four, and it's pretty easy to see why Marvel took off the way it did), BUT! if you're interested in seeing a concept man at the height of his game, just introducing character after character and concept after concept that are still being used today, Fox's JLA is hard to beat. Also, as you read it, you'll learn why the other writers at DC considered Fox something of a human encyclopedia, as he introduces weird facts (many of them...not...correct?) as story elements from time to time. He also has an affinity for Lovecraft and other authors of weird fiction that shows up a surprising number of times.

Also Sekowsky's art is not for everyone. I personally really like it, but this is a thing I fight with Chris Sims about frequently and in public. Some of his poses are weird and stilted, his characters are blocky and flat, but, boy, I love the way he draws aliens and demons. Fortunately, there are tons of those to look at in the first 70 issues of the Justice League.

I hope you enjoy it for its charms and don't get turned off by how dated it can feel sometimes.*

*most of the time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure who DC's best Silver Age artist was.

Probably Infantino. I've really been enjoying this Silver Age Flash trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm enjoying what I've read so far. I just feel like the dialogue for Snapper Carr is the writer doing the whole Steve Buscemi fellow kids meme.

I also picked up that Silver Age Flash book. Looking forward to that.