Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TBeats posted:

Saw three drunk on duties happen the first day.

We all immediately left the barracks once our "handlers" were gone and immediately went to the nearest bar off post.

It was like baptists in a liquor store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Evolution of our redeployment plan, given that the BN CDR wasn't a drunk or anything, but loved himself some quasi-high society cocktail parties and he was a lot less likely to blame superiors for one gently caress-up than a lot of people I've run into:

Version 1: Upon redeployment, 24 hours off, then reintegration training. No booze for 96 hours, then reassess booze restrictions based on BN conduct. No driving allowed at all for first 48 hours.
Version 2: 48 hours off, No booze for 48 hours. No driving for 24 hours. Check in with BN staff duty daily via telephone for E-5 and above, in person for E-4 and below.
Final Version: 96 hours off, check in with first line leader via telephone for all ranks once daily. Reintegration training will not exceed 0900-1200 unless absolutely necessary based on other post agency schedules. No booze for first 8 hours off the plane, get some sleep first, jerks. Don't drink and drive, and we recommend you sleep off the jet lag before you drive.

e: of course the unit had some alcohol incidents, but it wasn't the initial weekend off, it was more like 30-90 days down the road as spousal issues and the like reared their heads.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It's really weird how different parts of the Army are. My first deployment back in 05 was completely the overreach side of the spectrum. Stuck in the barracks, no alcohol, multiple formations a day etc. My most recent I was allowed to be in charge of my detachment of NCOs. I was able to put them on a 96 hour pass starting work on a Wednesday. We had all of the requirements for redeployment finished by Friday usually working 9-12 with no PT, except for reverse SRC because Bragg requires a 0700 brief. They all were on block leave right after. If I didn't have to outbrief my senior rater, my NCOIC and I would have been on leave then, but we had to wait a few extra days.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some of the battalion hadn't deployed at all, others only 4-7 months or something. My unit did a full year, so we were on half-day schedule for about 45 days, minus a few days of just not being able to work around it, PT 3 days a week with 2 days on your own/week, and were exempt from all staff duty, etc for nearly 60 days.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

We got 72 hours after we got back to drink/gently caress hookers before we started the reverse SRP.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got yelled at because I was told to wear my PC during reintegration and Garrison was beret.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Speaking of garrison, it's getting to the point where the majority of my SGTs have never done a deployment to a combat zone.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

loving pogs

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012
DD214 officially in hand.

What do I do now?

Also, SMDFTB and FYGM. And lol if you're still in.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

moodyhank31 posted:

What do I do now?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Speaking of garrison, it's getting to the point where the majority of my SGTs have never done a deployment to a combat zone.

It's a little disconcerting.

So is going to event's with dress uniforms and seeing everyone's fruit salad.

moodyhank31 posted:

What do I do now?

Step 1: Go file your VA disability claim (lol if you think you're physically ok after serving in the Army. Just go do it.)

Step 2: Find a college you like and use GI Bill to get a degree.

Step 3: Do what you want.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I ran into a slick-sleeved LTC a couple years ago, and he wasn't a direct-commission doctor or anything. Unless you have a permanent non-deployable issue like HIV or something, I don't even know how that could happen.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Zeris posted:

If you loving morons weren't aware, counterjnshrgencies are fought and won on the battlefields of the poiwerpojnt readyiness slides, the immaculate DFAC benchs with not a stray French fry or boot print in sight, immaculately ordered dumb el rAcks on the airfield gym, green beans cash registers awash with funds, a single patriotic salute to a young lieuntant deploying late after completing many important certificates and the eib at home, raise your fingernajl cut to length not exceeding the tip of your finger, in line with the remaining fingers and thumb all of which have no dirt beneath their nails, to the corner hinge of your clear lens eye protection that shall not be kept around the neck when not worn, salute that man and freeze as revelries plays and a afghan rug merchant continues picking his nose across the street as you hear americas toot toot toot over the loudspeaker, he looks at you from a lovely squat, you look back. There is magazine in your rifle, but you need no bhllets. They wouldn't let you have them. Readiness = green. War on.
I'm currently in Kuwait, and you don't get an insignia patch for mobilizing here. It's quite possible he's been to 1-2 places that just don't hand out the patch.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Not what I meant to quote

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Good quote nonetheless.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

I ran into a slick-sleeved LTC a couple years ago, and he wasn't a direct-commission doctor or anything. Unless you have a permanent non-deployable issue like HIV or something, I don't even know how that could happen.

They played Army very well it seems

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If I remember correctly there was some dude who was a full bird or had a star with no deployment patch, because he spent all his time at the Pentagon in some finance office because he was an accountant.

He was then told he needed to deploy if he wanted to rank up and got killed in a friendly fire incident.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not caring here posted:

If I remember correctly there was some dude who was a full bird or had a star with no deployment patch, because he spent all his time at the Pentagon in some finance office because he was an accountant.

He was then told he needed to deploy if he wanted to rank up and got killed in a friendly fire incident.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

He should have picked a round with a higher ballistic coefficient
:accountantsay:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'll admit I am fine with having done my 4 and never deploying during it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Could be a med lab guy too..

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
...I want to deploy so bad.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I get so happy every morning when I watch the little shits go through security into meps.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Vahakyla posted:

...I want to deploy so bad.

The thing with deployments, and sumadat grunt poo poo in general, is you don't control it. It's cool to be fired up to get into combat and do your job, but it stops being cool after a few weeks or however long it takes for you to see someone die. Especially if one of your bros gets smoked. After that you're just counting the days and hoping that when the IED gets you it only takes a leg so you can continue to crank down with both hands.

I get it man. I enlisted in 2002 and was pissed thinking that I missed the war and then Iraq came along and became the gift that kept on giving. Just be careful what you wish for.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We deployed in May. Got hit hard as poo poo starting at the end of June/beginning of July, and started reconning for IEDs with our feet by the middle of July.

It gets to the point where you just don't give a poo poo about life anymore.*

But those fuckers back on the FOB were having a good fuckin time.

*and once you get to that point, it's very hard to give a poo poo about anything. But that's probably a different conversation for a different thread.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 21, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, "doing your job" is cool and I'm not going to deny I miss being in firefights with all my buddies who I'm closer to than any other person ever. I don't miss seeing them get killed. I don't miss puckering my rear end in a top hat when we all get that "feeling" and then everything goes black and all you hear is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I don't miss being on a steady diet of MREs. I don't miss sweating so much that I almost never had to piss from drinking so much water. I don't miss carrying 120+ lbs of poo poo everywhere. I don't miss seeing dudes with a bullet in their brain dumped on the side of the street, or even worse, kids. I don't miss seeing civilians get killed. I don't miss feeling like everything is pointless and the only thing driving me was "gently caress these assholes, kill them before they kill me or my friends". You know what I really miss? Being a normal, whole person. Not having anxiety attacks at the drop of the hat, and a flashpan temperature anger. I miss not feeling like an alien around other people when I came home. I know you want to do your job and all that dude, I felt the same way. But just realize what's ahead. You're not going to come out of it the same person you used to be, and most likely friends are going to die. Don't regret anything if you don't deploy, or don't get into combat.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I thank God that the closest I came to real combat was an AK round clipping an antenna on my humvee.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Yeah, "doing your job" is cool and I'm not going to deny I miss being in firefights with all my buddies who I'm closer to than any other person ever. I don't miss seeing them get killed. I don't miss puckering my rear end in a top hat when we all get that "feeling" and then everything goes black and all you hear is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I don't miss being on a steady diet of MREs. I don't miss sweating so much that I almost never had to piss from drinking so much water. I don't miss carrying 120+ lbs of poo poo everywhere. I don't miss seeing dudes with a bullet in their brain dumped on the side of the street, or even worse, kids. I don't miss seeing civilians get killed. I don't miss feeling like everything is pointless and the only thing driving me was "gently caress these assholes, kill them before they kill me or my friends". You know what I really miss? Being a normal, whole person. Not having anxiety attacks at the drop of the hat, and a flashpan temperature anger. I miss not feeling like an alien around other people when I came home. I know you want to do your job and all that dude, I felt the same way. But just realize what's ahead. You're not going to come out of it the same person you used to be, and most likely friends are going to die. Don't regret anything if you don't deploy, or don't get into combat.

Exactly this

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah dude. Exactly.

Fair example, my buddy went to war a virgin and super passive. We came back and the first thing he did was get a half sleeve (first tattoo) and gently caress some random chick at a club.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have a friend who's still in and is SF now, but his first infantry deployment had him come back generally furious at both the war effort in Afghanistan and just the country at large. None of his platoon died, but a few lost limbs. He got to help run a fellow platoon leader to a medevac chopper, but the other PL died in flight. Also, after routinely hitting IEDs on one route, a local family finally tipped them off one time when a chain IED was set up. About a week later on patrol they found that entire family slaughtered with graffiti up about being whores for America.

Even though he's still in and SF, he gets kinda pissed even at other SF people who get "excited" about deploying.

When we were in school waiting to commission, he thought he was going to miss the war. gently caress, if only.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Worst part about deployment is even as a POG you still get crazy amounts of isolation, boredom, family problems, and general fuckery. That didn't sound bad but you don't see problems coming until one of your co-workers just decides to blow their loving head off or decides to test the tensile strength of 550 cord with their neck.

You just get to come in tomorrow because there's a job to do, even if nothing loving matters.

But yeah. Gimme summudat grunt poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If I had to go back and make that choice again, would I do it? Absolutely, but it comes at a cost. I still wouldn't trade those experiences or those brothers for the world.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

If I had to go back and make that choice again, would I do it? Absolutely, but it comes at a cost. I still wouldn't trade those experiences or those brothers for the world.

people have asked me if joining was worth it and i just tell them it was probably a wash. i lost a lot, but i gained a lot.

the military has put me into a position to be literally the first person in my family with a bachelor's degree, and i'll be getting a masters. i'm in a position to achieve more than anyone in my family has because of it. so i think i would be wrong to say it wasn't worth it.

but there are several specific periods throughout the year that i'm bummed out and i question if it was worth it (survivor's guilt is a real bitch), and i start lashing out at people for really no reason at all.

maybe once i get my masters and get a well paying job i'll lean more to the "it was worth it" side of things, but for now, i'll just say it was a wash.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I get that. That's fair to say.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I would have been an even bigger piece of poo poo had I not joined. At least this way I got out in the world, got my degree paid for and saved a lot of money via contracting afterwards. Had I gone straight to college after high school, I'd have not known what I wanted and just been a waste of time and money.

I am also very thankful that no one that I knew got injured or killed on deployment. My battalion only had one KIA and he was in another company.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My perspective on joining is heavily skewed by having joined just in time for the economy absolutely tanking mega-hard and watching civilian peers every bit as smart as me and at least as driven, if not way more so in a few cases, struggling on wages that would be rough in middle america rural/suburbia, much less the big cities they moved to in order to find any kind of job at all. I've also been fortunate in that those who've died have been in vehicular accidents on deployments, which still loving sucks, but is not the same as getting blown up or shot up. Also I had zero money and my parents had zero money to send me to college without military aid. It's kind of

Then again, I'd likely be minus one or two chronic injuries if I hadn't joined.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My go to response when people ask if it was worth it is "it's the best thing I've done that was loving terrible".

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Haha poo poo this just reminded me of when I rolled off a deployment three weeks earlier than the rest of my unit. I got called two days after I was back by some rear D sergeant for staff duty cause 'his guys were so tired of pulling staff duty'. Dude I was just in Iraq for 11 loving months, what the hell is wrong with you?

Called an E7 I came back with and he drove to the barracks to chew the guy the gently caress out and told him to find some broke dick pussy to pull it. Very satisfying. gently caress you Army.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My favorite was coming back from deployment a month and a half early, having a surgery, and then being stuck on rear d and CQ because the battalion decided disbanding the rear d was too much effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

My branch director at USTRANSCOM was a slick sleeve army intel O-5. There was a policy of not deploying people from TRANSCOM to OIF or OEF, but he got a special deployment to the embassy at Kabul so he could make O-6.

He was a legitimately great officer and a drat fine person so I was happy to see the good old boys club work out well for him.