Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DeimosRising posted:

I feel like this was a missed opportunity to post a picture of Alex Jones, Trump, whoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0Hcnuro-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've been in the Shameful thread for so long that I've started to forget some of the movies I've watched in it.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
The former president of Mexico has made #FuckingWall a thing

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Live VHS recordings of the Misfits are fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PhJjGKZEpo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

therattle posted:

There was an inadvertently hilarious piece on goop recently about jade eggs for one's yoni which was master-level bullshit. Truly, crap of the highest order.

Promoted by everybody's favorite wackadoo Gwyneth Paltrow.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Dirty Wars is really fuckin good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress Whitey posted:

The former president of Mexico has made #FuckingWall a thing

Shouldn't it be #PinchePared

Why is Vicente tweeting in english?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

ruddiger posted:

Shouldn't it be #PinchePared

Why is Vicente tweeting in english?

Because he speaks English and he described it as "that loving wall" in am English interview during the campaign

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

At least there's the Juggalo march on Washington to look forward to.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I was half-joking about it in that "movies you hate that everyone else loves" thread, but now I legit think I'mma get my hands on every Shyamalan and do a thread where I revisit all the early and late ones that I like or love and watch all the middle period stuff for the first time and see how it stacks up against the mockery. This is gonna be fun

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Dirty Wars is really fuckin good

The Scahill book?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Finally got around to seeing Johnny Guitar and drat, that is like a top 5 Western.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mercedes McCambridge is just incredible in it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jenny Angel posted:

I was half-joking about it in that "movies you hate that everyone else loves" thread, but now I legit think I'mma get my hands on every Shyamalan and do a thread where I revisit all the early and late ones that I like or love and watch all the middle period stuff for the first time and see how it stacks up against the mockery. This is gonna be fun

I liked After Earth quite a bit, to the point that the outright contempt people had for it mystified me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mercedes McCambridge is just incredible in it.

Joan Crawford even more so. Maybe I'm just being hyperbolic because the movie caught me by surprise, but like, that might be one of the best film performances ever.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Finally got around to seeing Johnny Guitar and drat, that is like a top 5 Western.

:yeah:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The Scahill book?

Watching his documentary. Haven't read the book yet but its on the list.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

What'd you think of SPLIT?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I should see more Nicolas Ray stuff. I honestly think Rebel Without a Cause is by a pretty big margin the worst of the three movies I've seen by him (the other two being Johnny Guitar and In a Lonely Place).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Joan Crawford even more so. Maybe I'm just being hyperbolic because the movie caught me by surprise, but like, that might be one of the best film performances ever.

Joan Crawford was the truth. Certainly one of my favorite actresses ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Joan Crawford was the truth. Certainly one of my favorite actresses ever.

I'm kinda new to her, I only just saw Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? this past year, and I think that and Johnny Guitar are the only two I've seen. You should recommend me some.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm kinda new to her, I only just saw Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? this past year, and I think that and Johnny Guitar are the only two I've seen. You should recommend me some.

Well, the big must see is Mildred Pierce, probably the snappiest, bitchiest noir ever made. But a short list: Possessed, Female On The Beach, Strait-Jacket (the best of her so-called "hagsploitation" movies), Curtiz' Flamingo Road, Above Suspicion and The Women. I am not at all familiar with her pre 30's career, I don't think I've ever seen any of her silents.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

Every so often I remember that Welcome Home isn't meant to be like an evil monologue sung by an evil prince from one of their concept albums, it's the main Coheed guy whining about an actual girlfriend who dumped him while the band was on tour, and I'm like... does my man have a lot more self-awareness than I'd give a prog metal singer credit for, or even less

I'm leaning "more" right now but either way it makes the song even goofier

Wait, really? I was under the impression it was from the perspective of the Writer character in the story, who isn't Claudio Sanchez but is kinda-sorta loosely based on him (with the main difference being that the Writer is a complete lunatic).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Well, the big must see is Mildred Pierce, probably the snappiest, bitchiest noir ever made. But a short list: Possessed, Female On The Beach, Strait-Jacket (the best of her so-called "hagsploitation" movies), Curtiz' Flamingo Road, Above Suspicion and The Women. I am not at all familiar with her pre 30's career, I don't think I've ever seen any of her silents.
To that I'll add Daisy Kenyon, a stellar romantic drama by Preminger, and Sudden Fear, a tense noir thriller.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Never seen either and now I know I have to see both.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I remember only checking out Sudden Fear because it was one of FFD's all-time favorite noirs and while it didn't quite reach those heights, it's still very cool.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Listen to the You Must Remember This podcast series about Joan Crawford's life and watch what sounds good.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 27, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

What'd you think of SPLIT?

Really fun, but most of the interesting things it had to say were already things he's said more interestingly in The Visit just a year prior

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, really? I was under the impression it was from the perspective of the Writer character in the story, who isn't Claudio Sanchez but is kinda-sorta loosely based on him (with the main difference being that the Writer is a complete lunatic).

The understanding I've gotten from looking it up is that it's sorta both, in that it's The Writer speaking but the events of the song are inspired by an actual girlfriend actually dumping him while Coheed was on tour. So it seems reasonable to extrapolate the song's maybe him going "Here's how I might have reacted to that breakup if I were a complete lunatic"

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I should see more Nicolas Ray stuff. I honestly think Rebel Without a Cause is by a pretty big margin the worst of the three movies I've seen by him (the other two being Johnny Guitar and In a Lonely Place).

King of Kings is dope.

One of the few films about Jesus that takes a largely political angle. Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, Orson Welles narrating, Rip Torn as Judas, Robert Ryan as John the Baptist, Hurd Hatfield as Pontius Pilate, and it has a Miklos Rosza score.

I've been meaning to see They Live By Night, but it's supposed to get a Criterion sometime.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

To that I'll add Daisy Kenyon, a stellar romantic drama by Preminger, and Sudden Fear, a tense noir thriller.

Egbert Souse posted:

King of Kings is dope.

One of the few films about Jesus that takes a largely political angle. Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, Orson Welles narrating, Rip Torn as Judas, Robert Ryan as John the Baptist, Hurd Hatfield as Pontius Pilate, and it has a Miklos Rosza score.

I've been meaning to see They Live By Night, but it's supposed to get a Criterion sometime.

Thanks y'all. Mildred Pierce, Strait-Jacket, and They Live By Night were on my radar, but not the rest.

DC Murderverse posted:

Listen to the You Must Remember This podcast series about Joan Crawford's life and watch what sounds good.

I've been going back through that whole show but I dunno if I've gotten to any of the Joan Crawford episodes yet. I've definitely listened to some of the Bette Davis ones.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Having seen Resident Evil: The Final Chapter without any video game or previous-movie context, I think I finally understand why the folks at RLM broke down in laughter watching these films. I almost can't wait to actually watch the other ones, just to see if they are as batshit as this one.

They did the loving robocop thing! They set it up with a line maybe twenty minutes into the film, and I was just waiting to hear "You're fired" from someone and I was not disappointed.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

MisterBibs posted:

Having seen Resident Evil: The Final Chapter without any video game or previous-movie context, I think I finally understand why the folks at RLM broke down in laughter watching these films. I almost can't wait to actually watch the other ones, just to see if they are as batshit as this one.

They did the loving robocop thing! They set it up with a line maybe twenty minutes into the film, and I was just waiting to hear "You're fired" from someone and I was not disappointing.

Just got back from this, having never seen any of the previous 6(!???!) movies and it was the worst, most hilarious thing i have seen in a loooong while. There a part near the beginning where bad guys pop out of a loving box in the middle of the road and in my head, how i remember it, it is just plain pure comedy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

There a part near the beginning where bad guys pop out of a loving box in the middle of the road and in my head, how i remember it, it is just plain pure comedy.

This is the point where I started giggling, and I'm pretty sure I didn't stop the entire film.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bigger Than Life is an excellent family drama that's a not-so-subtextual take down of Eisenhower-era America. The Lusty Men is reminiscent of Johnny Guitar in that many characters come with a fleshed-out backstory & their own competing agendas and also there's Robert loving Mitchum.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Joan Crawford Mildred Pierce is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen, and it also gave us this wonderful Carol Burnette sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLfSiKI3DsM

The "FATBURGERS" sign always cracks me up. "Gee, I dunno, I think it's kinda swell."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coaaab posted:

Bigger Than Life is an excellent family drama that's a not-so-subtextual take down of Eisenhower-era America. The Lusty Men is reminiscent of Johnny Guitar in that many characters come with a fleshed-out backstory & their own competing agendas and also there's Robert loving Mitchum.

Bigger Than Life is awesome. James Mason never disappoints and he's loving scary.

Not even when he goes off the rails, but there's a scene where you can start seeing the side effects happening and he does all these subtle ticks.

It's like a Cronenberg body horror movie except it's all his mind becoming torn apart.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I've just realized that I don't really know the difference between Logan's Run, The Cannonball Run, and The Running Man. Is it important that I fix this, or can I just let that lie fallow for a while more

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Logan's Run is goofy and entertaining, and The Running Man is good and weird, so I'd suggest at least familiarizing yourself with those two.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Logan's Run is goofy and entertaining, and The Running Man is good and weird, so I'd suggest at least familiarizing yourself with those two.

Yeah. Also Running Man has one of the more believable sci-fi dystopia settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ironically, I just confused Running Man with Marathon Man, but yes Running Man is good.

• Locked thread