Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Wait, I just realised... the UK doesn't have a national ID, so... wouldn't it be possible for someone to just go around voting in every polling center? What stops this?

You would need to know the name and address of somebody who hasn't voted at that polling center.

And I imagine you might get pulled up if a bunch of people then go to vote and can't because you already voted for them.

Nothing stops people in practice from doing what you suggest but certainly anyone attempting to do so on an organized level would have difficulty, and would attract some serious heat if anyone let slip about it. Voting fraud is a serious crime.

Also strictly emulating the success of the previous candidates in Middlesbrough South would mean losing 3000 votes per election except for the last one.

Which, uh, may have had something to do with the Liberals losing 6000 votes more than anything else. If the Liberal vote returns as it seems to be doing across the country because people have the memories of goldfish, I would be surprised if the seat holds to be honest. Depends also where the UKIP vote goes if they even stand someone at this point. But Labour's been on the out here consistently since the seat was created in 1997. Which might, perhaps, be a contributing factor as to why Tommy boy decided to bail. He was unlikely to win anyway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Tower Hamlets just goes to show that you can pull of electoral fraud in the UK if you really fancy it, you just might not get away with it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah impersonation voter fraud is a thing that doesn't really happen (which is why you know that Voter ID laws in the US are super racist - the 'problem' that's being solved is ethnic minorities showing up to vote, not fraud).

Where electoral fraud does happen (rare) it's either stuffing Postal votes (midlands) or straight up intimidation/corruption (Tower Hamlets).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Tower Hamlets just goes to show that you can pull of electoral fraud in the UK if you really fancy it, you just might not get away with it

Tower Hamlets also shows that your best chance is if you are from a minority ethnic group and the local police are terrified of looking racist if they investigate you.

For the referendum, when I went to the polling station, there were two volunteers there talking about how they were going to vote Brexit. I was tempted to call the Electoral Commission and report them, but realised I couldn't be arsed. This time around, though, I'll be on the phone to some lowly temp at the Electoral Commission before I even get on the train unless I have to run for it, in which case I may need a few minutes to catch my breath.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah I figured it was something like that.

And yeah, even back in my homeland, I don't think straight-out impersonation is a thing. Clientelism (vote for us or you don't get benefits) is much more widespread and also much safer if your party has been in power for decades.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Also strictly emulating the success of the previous candidates in Middlesbrough South would mean losing 3000 votes per election except for the last one.

Which, uh, may have had something to do with the Liberals losing 6000 votes more than anything else. If the Liberal vote returns as it seems to be doing across the country because people have the memories of goldfish, I would be surprised if the seat holds to be honest. Depends also where the UKIP vote goes if they even stand someone at this point. But Labour's been on the out here consistently since the seat was created in 1997. Which might, perhaps, be a contributing factor as to why Tommy boy decided to bail. He was unlikely to win anyway.

He increased his majority in 2015 compared to 2010.

But yes, I also would be surprised if Labour holds the seat. I also think many Labour MPs will be reviewing their career options.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think "he increased his majority" is a little charitable given that what appears to have happened is the liberal democrats annihilated six sevenths of their vote and he picked up some of it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not 'charitable' just a factual statement based on the result of 2015 compared to 2010.

It's also a bit more complicated than that, unless you think it's reasonable to say that UKIP were the main beneficiaries of the Lib Dem collapse in the constituency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The assignment of agency to the Labour MP is the charitable part.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Not 'charitable' just a factual statement based on the result of 2015 compared to 2010.

It's also a bit more complicated than that, unless you think it's reasonable to say that UKIP were the main beneficiaries of the Lib Dem collapse in the constituency.

It's safe to say the Tories will be the main beneficiaries of the UKIP collapse at this election though, which makes direct comparisons with last time also 'a bit more complicated than that'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
As I said earlier, we'll find out how much more effective his replacement is in a few weeks time.

I've yet to receive any Labour Party literature through my door in this marginal constituency.

jabby posted:

It's safe to say the Tories will be the main beneficiaries of the UKIP collapse at this election though, which makes direct comparisons with last time also 'a bit more complicated than that'.

It'll be safe to say that, should the general election result reflect the polling data we're seeing, the Tories are able to appeal to the far right of UKIP as well as the centre ground.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You need names to replace Corbyn if that's what you want from the party. You need someone in the party apparatus who can take the leadership role but no one ever mentions names.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Lot of people seem to be crawling back to Andy Burnham.

Imagine how different things could be if people had taken the leadership race seriously back in 2015.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Grapplejack posted:

You need names to replace Corbyn if that's what you want from the party. You need someone in the party apparatus who can take the leadership role but no one ever mentions names.

they have plenty of names. there was dan jarvis, then keir starmer, now yvette cooper. it's ideas other than '2015 manifesto with extra racism' they don't have.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

hakimashou posted:

Lot of people seem to be crawling back to Andy Burnham.

Imagine how different things could be if people had taken the leadership race seriously back in 2015.

Probably not at all? I mean in terms of the chances of Labour winning this election. Things could be very different but I doubt Labour's chances would be much (or at all) better

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhzG0xmy6oo

Jahanskino

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

you should really include his profile text so this is more than just some random making a terrible racist tweet/joke

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Who is this and why should we be disgusted? You always seem to assume that we'll know the one and outs of student /local council politics

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Remember his cringeworthy ads about being a normal chummy bloke and a "maverick" after an extended period at the top of Health? christ

Wow the two faced son of a bitch! Sounds almost as bad as when jwremys crack team of pr ppl photographed him inspecting a toilet haha

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Who is this and why should we be disgusted? You always seem to assume that we'll know the one and outs of student /local council politics

I think it's yet another racist Tory councillor.

Doubt we'll see the press clamouring for blood like they did with Labour's "anti-semitism problem" or the SNP's "anti-English problem", despite the constant flow of this stuff from elected officials.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Wow the two faced son of a bitch! Sounds almost as bad as when jwremys crack team of pr ppl photographed him inspecting a toilet haha
Please do not misdirect your hopes onto maverick former health secretary who hates the Sun as is his performative duty, except when he's sitting in its cab, Andy Burnham.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFhlejY08Q

She's a Champion alright.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 14, 2017

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Burnham seems like a nice guy, but he's also a total windsock who will do whatever it takes to win votes. He only stood out in the previous leadership election against the utterly bland Blairbots. Between the 3 of them they still had no clear vision for the party which is a big part of why they lost.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Oh I know he isn't ideologically pure enough for us politics experts but it seems clear that corbyn is labours biggest liability

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I can't blame TinTower for forgetting we're not on a first name basis with every racist politician in the land.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Emily Thornberry to Michael Fallon: ' That's bollocks'. Tsk. On the lords day, too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jedit posted:

I can't blame TinTower for forgetting we're not on a first name basis with every racist politician in the land.

Speak for yourself :rolleyes:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Oh I know he isn't ideologically pure enough for us politics experts but it seems clear that corbyn is labours biggest liability

Weathervane manufacturers use casts of Andy Burnham to check their calibrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I should be listening to Death in June to prepare myself for what's gonna happen in the general election, right?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I don't care about his ideological purity but he does always look like he's about to cry, and he is not competent at PR, so that's a big no from this guy.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Good news for Labour:

Even the Express are reporting a sub-150 majority and sub-400 seats for the Tories.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Take a look at @henrymance's Tweet: https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/863682811626233857?s=09

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HJB posted:

Good news for Labour:

Even the Express are reporting a sub-150 majority and sub-400 seats for the Tories.

that doesn't seem good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
My moneys on the tories winning 330 seats again because im a hopeless optimist

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

rekt

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Lord posted:

So I should be listening to Death in June to prepare myself for what's gonna happen in the general election, right?

Personally I'm listening to Burzum on a loop, but same overall idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Well it helps if you crowdsource it. The cleverness (for want of a better word) of Rahman and THF was that they didn't really do a huge amount of fraudulent things that could be ascribed directly to them - a bit of mild graft and influence peddling, and a nudge and a wink to the right people was all that was needed. No tedious trawling of death records or heavy lifting of ballot boxes was required, just exploitation of the family power structure in a big chunk of the Bangladeshi community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

His face when he realises he's just been roasted.

• Locked thread