Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pictures!!!!

all from the same hike. pnw supremacy

dang

really missing home right now.

i can see what you’re saying with the focus feeling off, it’s hard to say what’s causing it, especially because i’m phoneposting right now. almost looks like decentering in the mountain shot, but that could be “i’ve read any review of a pentax lens ever” bias.

speaking of pentax lenses and focus errors, i got my da☆ 55/1.4 back from repair while i was out of town. it was randomly back and front focusing, by amounts beyond what the camera’s compensation could handle.

i took it out today to see how i felt about it. echi, i got you some bokeh:

and cat

this lens blooms like hell wide open with non-human subjects, and it has atrocious longitudinal aberration at 1.4 and 1.6, and it’s still not doing getting accurate focus on anything but the three selectable f2.8 flux points, but when it’s on, it’s on - hit images are why i decided to get it fixed. i don’t know, though. i need to go find a person to run it on and see how it does, since it was supposed to serve a dual-purpose role - flowers in the rain and this idiot idea i have to do grad photos for people to make some extra cash in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

at first i thought the first one was a crazy cliff side or something

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it is if you’re small

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it is if you’re small

:hmmyes:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

did some new years rural exploration this morning.

i am a sucker for sun flares

roads were glare ice

found somebody's goon cave

was playing around free-lensing for poor man's tilt shift

shadow selfie

:toot:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 1, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

roads were glare ice

shadow selfie

mate that’s some excellent poo poo

the shift tilt is effective

and love me some flare. my fave lens tends to just bloom out

thought I had an example but I dont

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sick

i went hiking today before subjecting myself once again to unknown months of wage slavery. took lots of pictures, might share some later if i’m feeling cute

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

does the focus look alright on these? is it me? is it a long lens/atmospheric haze thing?

i'm using my ipad so i can't be absolutely certain, but it looks more or less fine to me (tbh i've posted worse focus before)

were you using AF or MF? if AF then maybe nurrwick is right and the weighting is off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

roads were glare ice

shadow selfie

these are all real great. not only is that an area i don't get to see much of, you did really well with the palette imo

not that the b&w pics are bad or anything either, but i like your use of color here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i love infrared. kinda considering removing the filter from the powershot SX10 but 1. idk how 2. i don't wanna ruin it, apparently kids will pay a ton for one in excellent condition these days

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm using my ipad so i can't be absolutely certain, but it looks more or less fine to me (tbh i've posted worse focus before)

were you using AF or MF? if AF then maybe nurrwick is right and the weighting is off

more like beefposter

i was using AF - idk, maybe i just focused on some haze or something miles away. the focus light was tweaking for a lot of those shots so something was off. if it continues to happen i’ll whine at fuji

speaking of whining at fuji, both of the little control wheels on my xt30 are messing up now! the thing where you turn it left but it reads right half the time. agh

i wonder if they’ll do a goodwill repair as this seems to be a common complaint on reddit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol reddit

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

more like beefposter

i was using AF - idk, maybe i just focused on some haze or something miles away. the focus light was tweaking for a lot of those shots so something was off. if it continues to happen i’ll whine at fuji

speaking of whining at fuji, both of the little control wheels on my xt30 are messing up now! the thing where you turn it left but it reads right half the time. agh

i wonder if they’ll do a goodwill repair as this seems to be a common complaint on reddit

i took another look at your shots, downloaded onto a proper computer and all, and it does look like you have at least some front focusing. the tree ridge is pretty clearly in focus against the mountain showing what looks like bokeh defocus, as opposed to atmospheric effects causing blur. it's really hard to tell with the islands in the water but i think it's the same story, the closer ridge is just a bit more in focus, but I also think you have clearer air in that shot than the mountain. the woodpecker, I honestly can't tell for sure but if there's blur on the bird, it seems like it's motion. like I'm looking at both the lichen in front of the bird's close foot, and it appears to be in focus, then the ridge of holes just behind the bird's tail also looks like it's in focus.

normally, as Old Man SLR over here, I'd start with trying to blow crap off the mirrors or the lens on the AF sensor module, but I don't know if there's anything you can do to help with a camera that uses CDAF or on-sensor PDAF points. might be addressable with a sensor cleaning... you could also try selecting different focus points between two shots and doing some focus-recompose to see if certain points are misbehaving, but I'm pretty sure mirrorless cameras don't have the same potential for discrepancy between the focus point locations in viewfinder and on sensor that SLRs do.

if you're seeing consistent missed focus and the body doesn't give you the ability to put in a +/- correction for each lens, you might be up against sending to a service center. alternatively, as a sanity check, if you have a local shop you like that stocks fuji cameras, you could try taking the lens in and seeing if they'd let you do a couple of focus tests with the lens on a demo body.

that said, though, you could definitely print the mountain at pretty big size and hang it somewhere and it'd be fine.

also i hate it when rotary encoders start doing that backwards motion thing, i'm sorry to hear your camera is doing it to you

this whole post is great, but to my eyes, these two images really bring a lot with color and dynamic range

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

i love infrared. kinda considering removing the filter from the powershot SX10 but 1. idk how 2. i don't wanna ruin it, apparently kids will pay a ton for one in excellent condition these days

You should IMO, IR is good fun. Get the conversion done by a company like Lifepixel. I had a mate who worked for them way back and was doing IR conversions. He got me interested enough to do it on film.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

mate that’s some excellent poo poo

Beeftweeter posted:

these are all real great. not only is that an area i don't get to see much of, you did really well with the palette imo

nurrwick posted:

this whole post is great, but to my eyes, these two images really bring a lot with color and dynamic range
thank you. they are mostly straight out of camera except I did some cropping and perspective adjustment, and a tiny bit of contrast adjustment as well

i basically only ever shoot on daylight white balance so that the light of the scene dictates the mood

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nurrwick posted:

i took another look at your shots, downloaded onto a proper computer and all, and it does look like you have at least some front focusing. the tree ridge is pretty clearly in focus against the mountain showing what looks like bokeh defocus, as opposed to atmospheric effects causing blur. it's really hard to tell with the islands in the water but i think it's the same story, the closer ridge is just a bit more in focus, but I also think you have clearer air in that shot than the mountain. the woodpecker, I honestly can't tell for sure but if there's blur on the bird, it seems like it's motion. like I'm looking at both the lichen in front of the bird's close foot, and it appears to be in focus, then the ridge of holes just behind the bird's tail also looks like it's in focus.

normally, as Old Man SLR over here, I'd start with trying to blow crap off the mirrors or the lens on the AF sensor module, but I don't know if there's anything you can do to help with a camera that uses CDAF or on-sensor PDAF points. might be addressable with a sensor cleaning... you could also try selecting different focus points between two shots and doing some focus-recompose to see if certain points are misbehaving, but I'm pretty sure mirrorless cameras don't have the same potential for discrepancy between the focus point locations in viewfinder and on sensor that SLRs do.

if you're seeing consistent missed focus and the body doesn't give you the ability to put in a +/- correction for each lens, you might be up against sending to a service center. alternatively, as a sanity check, if you have a local shop you like that stocks fuji cameras, you could try taking the lens in and seeing if they'd let you do a couple of focus tests with the lens on a demo body.

that said, though, you could definitely print the mountain at pretty big size and hang it somewhere and it'd be fine.

also i hate it when rotary encoders start doing that backwards motion thing, i'm sorry to hear your camera is doing it to you
appreciate the effortpost. i'll keep this in mind

i took a few more at both 70mm and 300mm and the focus is on. seems to have been a challenging environment for the AF and it was just wonky for those few photos vOv

from yesterday's hike

you get the first one in color for free

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 16, 2024

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

hm

now i have to go through the rest of my day knowing i'm not going to see any of this in person (especially that first shot... good lord)

[edit to add something productive] yeah atmospherics could also very easily have explained the camera not focusing accurate to your expectation, and it might just be something you need to address at the time of the shot... and it doesn't feel great saying "yeah don't trust your gear" but i guess if you know there's a situation that can let you down, it's best to be prepared to deal with it. i have to do that with all my old k/m lenses and metering anywhere other than wide open, and even wide open doesn't work right sometimes. i do hope that the focus error is one caused by the environment and not actually your hardware, though!

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 2, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

more like beefposter

well, if you're really uncertain, just do a couple AF vs. MF tests. if you're able to get the focus you want — it's not the lens, it's the AF system, so maybe try adjusting it? idk how much fuji lets you fine-tune AF points, but panasonic & sony let you to a ridiculous degree. my e-m10 and q7 not so much, but they don't have as advanced a system anyway

and you don't need to go back to the same location, obviously. i'm sure you can figure out a more local suitable target to test with

Megabound posted:

You should IMO, IR is good fun. Get the conversion done by a company like Lifepixel. I had a mate who worked for them way back and was doing IR conversions. He got me interested enough to do it on film.

it's great fun, but other than using film, right now i'm limited to just applying an infrared LUT (in either pre or post, both work, but the results can be iffy)

also not a bad suggestion about paying to have the conversion done, but i'm in extreme money-saving mode atm and honestly can't justify it. i'll look into seeing how difficult it would be to do myself, but i'm not really confident about my skill level wrt being able to pull it off

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

nurrwick posted:

i have SO many rolls of film from this little dude. i would love to shoot more with it, but aps. i’ll root through my prints box and post some highlights of what 1997 nurrwick found worth photographing. i think i ran a couple rolls through it while in college, too.

1997:

1999:

also this isn't from that advantix compact, but it is from december 2005, so old enough to vote:

(shot on my old pentax zx-L, probably via a tamron 70-210/4.x-5.x lens, on some kind of 3200 film)

so, i got better, at least. i'm missing everything from 1998 in prints, so I wonder what happened to that box.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nosying through the sales, there's a 'Must go' shelf in the John Lewis (mid-to-high-end department store here), Online returns items, but (they said) checked and verified as working - a CANON RF 50mm F1.2 L USM for £650, these are going for £2400 new and second hand ebay sales seem to be around £1400 so yes I'll have that.

Only problem is it's not backwardly compatible with my 5D3, so I need to either find someone shooting an R body to test it for me, or look into upgrading my old 5D3 to something slightly more modern :o:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s a very nice and sharp lens as far as I know

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Over the past few weeks I've been taking the steps to get into dry plate photography and jumped straight into coating my own plates. I shot my first "successful" one today. Out of 4 plates I shot 1 exposure test (cause I need to figure out how sensitive my emulsion is) 1 photo and smashed 2 when they fell out of the holder in the camera.

I did a contact print cause I was in the darkroom anyway to develop the plates so I did a little bit of printing too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it’s been -40 the past few days so I broke out my 4x5 camera and took some indoor portraits of the kids this weekend. happy to find out that my ~2 year old bottle of fixer is still good. contemplating going out and taking some outdoor shots today because everything is covered in frost and there’s some incredibly dense fog, but not sure I want to risk it

also:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 14, 2024

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

contemplating going out and taking some outdoor shots today

I went out. Didn't end up with much worth sharing unfortunately, but I did see some coyotes and birds feasting on a frozen animal carcass. They heard me and got spooked so I couldn't get any cool shots.

Spoilered for frozen dead animal:

I was actually pretty far away, this was at 300mm zoom

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

buttons hard

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quote is not edit, but here's a post anyway

trying to fix the missing image from above post!!

e; lol i did it twice. computer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quote can be edit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone correct me if I am wrong, and I think I’ve asked this but idk didn’t get a clear answer or just didn’t understand

regarding colour balance : (and assuming I am talking about raw)

if I shoot with auto, I could take a bunch of photos in one session and the temp values the camera records might change quite a bit depending on what way I’m facing etc right?

or I could choose a set temp and just shoot everything with the camera recording that value even if it’s “wrong”

the question is about editing, because with the auto method, doesn’t that make it harder to keep photos in a set consistent because their values will be all over the place?

vs set temp : if you know you need to change the temp by x to fix it, well at least that’s true for all the photos taken at the same time.

it seems to me like best method, if taking multiple pics, is the set temp..

or am I missing something?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when you make a preset in lightroom or copy and paste edit settings, when it comes to temp you copy an absolute not relative value

so if the temps are all over the place, creating a preset with one photo and using it on the rest, if you used auto then surely it’ll kick a lot of the photos the wrong way?

I could get it if the copy and paste edit recorded relative temp values because then you could warm all photos up a touch?

anyway idk. colour balance is a challenge

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah if you leave it on auto there might be slight variations from photo to photo depending on what the camera is pointed at. this is why people bring a middle grey card for calibration. and then you can just use the eyedropper tool in LR to sample it as neutral

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 21, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
took some photos at a wildflower thing in a big park. eh thery're ok. mega shallow depth of field flowers is fuckin cliche as. I took them and I aint gonna waset them by not posting them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

if you're shooting raw then it's not applying any transform to the data until you get to lightroom, it's just tagging the image with what it reckoned at the time. if you want everything consistent + correct shoot a blank piece of paper (or, say, a macbeth chart) in the light you're in as part of the set.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

mega shallow depth of field flowers is fuckin cliche as

it's common because it looks nice. who cares that it's not avant garde experimental photography, most photos aren't (also, how very kiwi of you)

guess i should clean the dust off that

fuckin lol macro apertures idk why this lens goes down to f/2.5 it's not like you can use that for its intended purpose (it's still useful for general medium tele stuff but i still don't usually go below f/8 even for non-macro)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some of the first portrait shots I did were on a 100 macro @ f/2.8 and it worked pretty well for them, but yeah close up there’s so little in focus

also what’s kiwi of me?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

some of the first portrait shots I did were on a 100 macro @ f/2.8 and it worked pretty well for them, but yeah close up there’s so little in focus

also what’s kiwi of me?

i figured kiwis knew that the construction "<adjective> as" doesnt really exist in other dialects of english other than maybe australian sometimes

ed: okay ive found one image i shot almost wide open, at f/2.8

but bokeywise it doesn't really look any different from f/4.0

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 22, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten action

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004