Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress off with this attitude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is the the correct response to low-effort trolling with bigoted bullshit. Engaging it isn't useful, it just shits up threads like this.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Shoplifting is a negligable loss of money for the big corps in the scheme of things, most theft has been found to be employee based, from management to cashier's pocketing gift cards and the like. The big schemes all tend to come frim employees or insiders. Not grandma chucking a cart full of electronics thought the door

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stickman posted:

This is the the correct response to low-effort trolling with bigoted bullshit. Engaging it isn't useful, it just shits up threads like this.

As trite as it might seem, I would encourage you to report any posts you feel are bigoted. Filing a report ensures several mods have a look at it and it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, plus reports are "on the record."

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

PeterCat posted:

For as many "help wanted" signs that are out there, there isn't an excuse to be stealing.
You've made several one-liner posts on this topic and posted the text of an article without elaborating or supporting your position. I would invite you to make and support your claim or argument explicitly so other users can respond and discuss.

For example, how would you respond to the below post which references longtime personal experience?

Mendrian posted:

You're willfully not listening.

Again this is just from 20 years of experience in service and retail but the vast majority of serial petty offenders are people with addiction or mental issues. They are not stealing because they are lazy, because for the most part shoplifting is harder and less lucrativen than work. They are stealing because they are unemployable, or have situations that make them unable to find or retain work. If this is controversial to you I seriously suggest you reexamine how you view these people because they are left to the mercy of a system that does not acknowledge they have obstacles to employment.

I say this as someone whose job is literally to minimize loss from theft. I have no broad data but this is my area of speciality.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

Imagine, other than literally working in loss prevention, giving a single gently caress about shoplifting at any level of the system. These are chain stores that are leeches on their communities' economies to begin with. Last week I watched an old lady wheel an entire cart of goods past the registers at CVS and on out of the store like it was nothing. Their merchandise is insured. These millionaires could stand to lose a few bucks at the hands of the people they've been robbing for decades.

Yeah, much better when even more stores close and absolutely everything moves to Amazon. Just great for the "community".

Also, insurance against something that happens with regularity is usually not worth getting, especially when you're a large venture. I can't imagine those stores are insuring their merchandise against theft.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 29, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

How many stores are actually closing due to shoplifting? Like, they'll blame shoplifting for it and then refuse to offer evidence when asked so one can only speculate.

But I wanna point out Walgreens in particular because they've blamed quite a few closings on shoplifting when I'm more inclined to believe that they are closing stores not because of shoplifting but because in 2019 they said they were gonna close a few hundred stores in the coming years.

(To say nothing of how the focus tends to be on the San Francisco Walgreens that are allegedly closing due to shoplifting; I should definitely mention that wage theft from Walgreens in California was so bad that they lost a lawsuit over it!)

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 29, 2022

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I just emailed that bullshit 18 dollar an hour job posting to Amazon and Wal Mart so hopefully they'll stop stealing money from their workers and tax payers.

Bless up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know the radium code is hilariously bad, but how is the character limit set on the client side in TYOOL 2022?
It's not, it's more like the client-side limit is smaller than the server-side one as a sort of compromise with the fact that, in thread titles, some characters are stored pre-escaped and thus take up more than 1 character in the database. So setting the client-side limit to 85 characters means that you can use a few ampersands without having your max-length thread title get truncated while the actual limit of the storage is 100 characters. I realize I'm tearing down one red flag and raising a few others, but, well, welcome to something awful.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Srice posted:

How many stores are actually closing due to shoplifting? Like, they'll blame shoplifting for it and then refuse to offer evidence when asked so one can only speculate.

But I wanna point out Walgreens in particular because they've blamed quite a few closings on shoplifting when I'm more inclined to believe that they are closing stores not because of shoplifting but because in 2019 they said they were gonna close a few hundred stores in the coming years.

(To say nothing of how the focus tends to be on the San Francisco Walgreens that are allegedly closing due to shoplifting; I should definitely mention that wage theft from Walgreens in California was so bad that they lost a lawsuit over it!)

Multiple people have looked at the data and come to the conclusion it's an excuse to close stores. The companies releasing shop lifting videos are also often backing laws to increase the punishment of shop lifting so they have a vested interest in making you think there is more shoplifting.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/Is-shoplifting-forcing-Walgreens-to-cut-back-in-16536960.php

https://theappeal.org/retail-theft-ben-dugan-cvs-walgreens-shoplifting/

You'll notice from both articles that because shop lifting is actually down there is a push to describe this as a new type of horrible shoplifter called "the organized retail criminal". It's not even that shoplifting is up, the scare mongering is that organized criminal gangs are now shoplifting.

Also speaking of wage theft, shop lifting, and Walgreens https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/walgreens-employees-in-california-secure-4-5-million-wage-deal

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 29, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mendrian posted:

I can only speak for two states where I work, but this is a half truth. Cameras at most retail locations are decades old and you can't snap cellphone pics of people as evidence.

Really? That's honestly kind of surprising. Since you work in this area, you're not allowed to Go Pro or record someone blatantly stealing? Or do you mean it's just not admissible as evidence? I would assume that someone forfeits a measure of right to privacy if they enter someone else's property or a private business but I don't know much about it.

Semi related to shoplifting chat:

More than once, I've accidentally neglected to ring up 12 packs of beer or soda that were on the bottom rack of my shopping cart and didn't realize it until I got to my car. I didn't go back and correct the error or pay for that poo poo because gently caress that but I was surprised how easy it was even though I wasn't trying. You'd think the cashiers would be trained to look down there because if I can do it a couple of times by accident, I'm sure it's super easy for people doing it intentionally and I imagine it happens a lot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Really? That's honestly kind of surprising. Since you work in this area, you're not allowed to Go Pro or record someone blatantly stealing? Or do you mean it's just not admissible as evidence? I would assume that someone forfeits a measure of right to privacy if they enter someone else's property or a private business but I don't know much about it.

More than once, I've accidentally neglected to ring up 12 packs of beer or soda that were on the bottom rack of my shopping cart and didn't realize it until I got to my car. I didn't go back and correct the error or pay for that poo poo because gently caress that but I was surprised how easy it was even though I wasn't trying. You'd think the cashiers would be trained to look down there because if I can do it a couple of times by accident, I'm sure it's super easy for people doing it intentionally and I imagine it happens a lot.

Sometimes they have mirrors so the cashier can easily see down there but also they don't give a gently caress and are probably judged on how quick they check you out.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not, it's more like the client-side limit is smaller than the server-side one as a sort of compromise with the fact that, in thread titles, some characters are stored pre-escaped and thus take up more than 1 character in the database. So setting the client-side limit to 85 characters means that you can use a few ampersands without having your max-length thread title get truncated while the actual limit of the storage is 100 characters. I realize I'm tearing down one red flag and raising a few others, but, well, welcome to something awful.

Speaking of which, could you remove

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/

quote:

I Hate Speech: Offensive terms such as "f——" or "n——-" may or may not be bannable based on context of the sentence. If they were meant as humor with absolutely no offensive slurs meant, the user may not be banned or probated. This rule is completely, 100% subjective and is based on the mod reading the post at the time. Use at your own peril

It’s embarrassing this is still up there after so long. I had to edit out the words because they are probably bannable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Generally no one gets shot during wage theft..

Generally no one gets shot during shoplifting..

Are you confused about the difference between shoplifting and armed robbery?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VitalSigns posted:

Generally no one gets shot during shoplifting..

Are you confused about the difference between shoplifting and armed robbery?

The article I posted which you seem to be so dismissive of had several instances of people getting shot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PeterCat posted:

The article I posted which you seem to be so dismissive of had several instances of people getting shot.

So yes, you do not know the difference between armed robbery and shoplifting.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 29, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Yes I'm aware I read it, I asked why you posted it in response to something I said about shoplifting, what is the relevance of this article about a completely different crime.

Could you state your position exactly?
E: could you also state what you think my position is?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

It's complicated. We're going to have to talk about how 'the law' and 'best practices' and 'company policies' blur together here and individual strategy is going to vary a lot by company.

First, it's just not a good idea to encourage or allow employees to take pictures with their personal devices. Store equipment is useful for identification purposes but ultimately if you tell employees they can do something you are potentially telling them they ought to do something, and if you're telling them they ought to take pictures of shoplifters with their personal devices you're opening yourself to a lot of negative PR, bad or dangerous practices, and so on. When you're talking about thousands of employees over the country somebody is going to do something really loving stupid if you let that fly.

Now of course you could encourage the use of a store-owned device but that has its own problems. You certainly don't want to let just anybody use it because somebody following customers around the store recording with an IPAD looks really bad in a way that store cameras don't. It feels invasive and again, somebody is going to do something really stupid like get it in a shoplifter's face and get punched. When you're designing policy you want to really, really consider the personal safety of the people you're designing policy for.

Also recording is not as useful as people think it is. Generally stores use cameras so they know "oh this is the guy who steals all the time, somebody call the manager". Mostly you're going to catch thieves with your eyes, not with your cameras. A shoplifting act is composed of three parts: selection, concealment, and exit. You need to capture all three of these on some combination of continuous observation to constitute a legal shoplifting action. You'll almost never catch all three on a device because people move, cameras are fixed, and personal devices take time to remove from pockets and activate. In the time it takes someone to pull out their phone and open their camera app someone can get through two of those three steps and then you've just got a picture of somebody's rear end as they walk out the door.

This is why I'm skeptical about, "oh shoplifting records are ubiquitous now". I look at loss reports by year, I look at police reports and employee documents, not youtube trends, and they have gone up, and the technology hasn't really changed at all. Sure there's more of a chance that another customer might think oh look, this is hilarious, this guy just put a phone down his pants, and snap a video, but that's not something I can use in a court if I had to, so it's a useless soundbite.

quote:

Lots of factors there. For one, the cashiers might not have noticed. You would be amazed how much poo poo people expect a minimum wage employee to pay attention to at any given second and whether or not you paid for an item on the bottom of your cart is pretty low on the list. Companies spend a lot of money trying to train employees to look down there and they still miss it. Also the illusion that the thing stopping you from stealing is the employees is just that: an illusion. So much of loss prevention comes down to human nature, hoping people do the right thing, and minimizing loss through deterrence.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mawarannahr posted:

Speaking of which, could you remove

https://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/

It’s embarrassing this is still up there after so long. I had to edit out the words because they are probably bannable.
I have to admit I quietly giggle each time I remember that the page gives such vivid, helpful examples, but yes, I will remove these. The forum rules are going to be a page on the forums instead of a front page article and then they will be gone.

Should probably move this to another forum though since it's not exactly US Current Events.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I have to admit I quietly giggle each time I remember that the page gives such vivid, helpful examples, but yes, I will remove these. The forum rules are going to be a page on the forums instead of a front page article and then they will be gone.

Should probably move this to another forum though since it's not exactly US Current Events.

I thought the title discussion opened up the technical issues of the website in general, sorry. I guess racism is always current in America too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We can only pray they are not load bearing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1487188764409663491?s=20&t=RLISsYIZSPG16tTna11EJg
Looks like guns do kill people, checkmate conservatives.

Sure glad the gun was punished so it could never murder again.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1487188764409663491?s=20&t=RLISsYIZSPG16tTna11EJg
Looks like guns do kill people, checkmate conservatives.

Sure glad the gun was punished so it could never murder again.

Did Zimmerman sell the gun he used to murder Trayvon? I wonder if this is just to avoid something similar.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

It’ll be melted down and turned into tiny blue lives matter pins for cops.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Republicans posted:

Did Zimmerman sell the gun he used to murder Trayvon? I wonder if this is just to avoid something similar.

Probabaly, couldnt find the exact amount but it looks like Zimmerman's gun sold for over 6 figures and its really disgusting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stickman posted:

The correct response is to just not engage at all. Either call out the trolling, refute the trolls points, or just ignore the obvious. Sometimes it makes it easier to probe a troll if you don't engage OR you absolutely destroy their talking points enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PA Dems fail to endorse anyone in the PA Senate race

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1487514327276007425?s=20&t=xLLAv5u2EQw11ga_HwRW7A

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

Probabaly, couldnt find the exact amount but it looks like Zimmerman's gun sold for over 6 figures and its really disgusting.
Quarter of a million dollars.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Good. It's still galling that so much of the state party apparatus seems to want another Manchin/Sinema vote in the Senate in the form of Lamb, but I'm glad he ultimately didn't get the endorsement that he needed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is why it's so hard for me to take "you can't blame the Democrats for the actions of two individual conservative senators blocking their agenda" seriously, when what do they do in the primaries when there's a chance to pick someone who supports the platform over someone who doesn't, they overwhelmingly want more Manchins and Sinemas

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
overwhelmingly but they can't even get 2/3?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

overwhelmingly but they can't even get 2/3?

169 out of 275 is pretty close to 2/3. If Fetterman wasn't the clear frontrunner it seems likely to me that they would have endorsed Lamb, which shows how incredibly bird-brained these people are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Is fetterman the clear front runner? I thought he was just a goon favorite and idk if much (or even almost any?) polling has been done on the subject?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't they do a second runoff with two candidates?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Is fetterman the clear front runner? I thought he was just a goon favorite and idk if much (or even almost any?) polling has been done on the subject?

The Politico piece on today’s vote says he’s the front runner, as do a lot of the PA newspapers I’m seeing via Google. I haven’t seen any Dem primary polling either but it sounds like it’s the consensus assumption at least.

e: from a couple months ago -
https://twitter.com/polltrackerusa/status/1458140595734540293?s=21

Phone posting, but I’ll see if I can find anything more recent.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 30, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Cool ty, I'd tried to find some polling on it earlier but didn't have any luck.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty glad the weapon used by that murderer is getting destroyed. Symbolic gesture for sure, but it's one less way for him to generate funds for himself and that's a good thing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm pretty glad the weapon used by that murderer is getting destroyed.

I too was glad to hear about that F-35 crashing. :wink:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Multiple people have looked at the data and come to the conclusion it's an excuse to close stores. The companies releasing shop lifting videos are also often backing laws to increase the punishment of shop lifting so they have a vested interest in making you think there is more shoplifting.

Or maybe shoplifting is an actual problem and that's why companies are closing stores and backing stronger laws? Tons of shoplifting not being reported to the police isn't surprising, either. I really don't get this attempt at trying to force people into not believing their lying eyes about shoplifting being a growing problem.

Companies don't need any excuse to close stores.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CommieGIR posted:

The correct response is to just not engage at all. Either call out the trolling, refute the trolls points, or just ignore the obvious. Sometimes it makes it easier to probe a troll if you don't engage OR you absolutely destroy their talking points enough.

Why does it make it easier? Do you see why telling people that you can more easily probate people if they do or if they don't engage with trolls causes a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fame Douglas posted:

Or maybe shoplifting is an actual problem and that's why companies are closing stores and backing stronger laws? Tons of shoplifting not being reported to the police isn't surprising, either. I really don't get this attempt at trying to force people into not believing their lying eyes about shoplifting being a growing problem.

Companies don't need any excuse to close stores.

Closing the stores let's them put pressure on getting the other poo poo that they want.

"Well gosh golly gee, we really wanted to keep our store open in your town, but :rolldice: shoplifting is forcing our hand and that's why we have to jack up our prices. You should definitely blame an external factor like that and not look at our billions in record profits and start asking inconvenient questions. And hey, we might be persuaded to stay if you offer us some sweet tax incentives on top of it all."

the_steve fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 30, 2022