Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone who ever tried to build their own LEGO voltron (and if you were a kid with lego, you definitely tried) will appreciate the mastery this set demonstrates a hell of a lot and instantly want to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zodack posted:

Welp, Target delivered the Falcon today. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it.

...build it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

That review of the Voltron set was bad. It’s very dry and technical, written by someone who clearly knows the building side of Lego, but doesn’t have any sense of fun about it. Also reviewing it as someone who doesn’t know Voltron at all did him no favours.

It was a good review for the technical aspects of it but I would like to see a fan have a go at it.

xzzy posted:

Anyone who ever tried to build their own LEGO voltron (and if you were a kid with lego, you definitely tried) will appreciate the mastery this set demonstrates a hell of a lot and instantly want to buy it.
and then MOC in working hips and thighs and knees and ankle tilts :hai:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sold.

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1019508864855756801

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna be fun as hell to mod that thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
https://shop.lego.com/en-US/James-Bond-Aston-Martin-DB5-10262?icmp=LP-SHLPM-DPC-CE-jamesb-843

$149, ouch. Won't be getting that and Voltron on the same day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Obviously compromises had to be made given the medium, but I wish the sides weren’t so flat. The DB5 isn’t an ultra-curvy car, but I’d never call it boxy either. Looks great otherwise, but I’ll probably wait for a sale or double VIP or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. It doesn't look like a DB5 so much as some other older cars that I can't quite name. It still looks pretty cool. And it's available right now.

E: ugh...stickers. :/

E2: looks like another set is getting the VIP early access treatment in a few days. Any rumors on what it could be?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 18, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. It doesn't look like a DB5 so much as some other older cars that I can't quite name. It still looks pretty cool. And it's available right now.

E: ugh...stickers. :/

E2: looks like another set is getting the VIP early access treatment in a few days. Any rumors on what it could be?

Voltron. https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Voltron-21311

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obviously compromises had to be made given the medium, but I wish the sides weren’t so flat. The DB5 isn’t an ultra-curvy car, but I’d never call it boxy either. Looks great otherwise, but I’ll probably wait for a sale or double VIP or something.

The biggest difference seems to be that the real car is flatter and wider, the Lego version has less width and is a bit higher, making it more bulky. Maybe that was needed to get the gimmicks in?

Still going to get it because I have all other creator cars and every one of them is great.

The one thing that has been starting to annoy me lately is the front of the VW bus: the way the white-red line is stepped is something that, if they remade it, they would now be able to avoid I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Voltron is already announced and on the site, though. Aren't these things usually for sets that aren't officially announced? Like today and the DB5?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Jesus... What did you end up paying?

My total order was $909 (I pre-ordered two video games and also got the Darth Vader Brickhead) and I paid $360 including tax with free two-day shipping. Floored that they honored it, yeah. Coupons all said they didn't apply to LEGO two which is even more amusing. It was six 15% off coupon codes, stacked, so I have no idea how their system did that math.

Chairchucker posted:

...build it?

Trying to buy it this way was like a shot to the moon because of its value. I don't know if I could have a $799 model sitting on a shelf knowing I could sell it and make Target essentially give me $200 - 300 for free. Not sure I'm comfortable with owning and displaying anything that costs as much as my HDTV or a washer-dryer set or something, you know?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely tempted.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's already a conversation piece by itself, plus you have the added story of how you got it for so cheap to go along with it

Not to mention probably you'll have fun building it, I GUESS

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Dogen posted:

It's already a conversation piece by itself, plus you have the added story of how you got it for so cheap to go along with it

Not to mention probably you'll have fun building it, I GUESS

I ain't gonna talk you into it or out of it, but I just imagine all of the other sets I could get if I had one to sell since it doesn't interest me at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zodack posted:

My total order was $909 (I pre-ordered two video games and also got the Darth Vader Brickhead) and I paid $360 including tax with free two-day shipping. Floored that they honored it, yeah. Coupons all said they didn't apply to LEGO two which is even more amusing. It was six 15% off coupon codes, stacked, so I have no idea how their system did that math.

Trying to buy it this way was like a shot to the moon because of its value. I don't know if I could have a $799 model sitting on a shelf knowing I could sell it and make Target essentially give me $200 - 300 for free. Not sure I'm comfortable with owning and displaying anything that costs as much as my HDTV or a washer-dryer set or something, you know?

Congrats.

I saw the deal and read "no lego" and just immediately dismissed it. Wonder what would have happened had I placed an order. Oh well.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

VaultAggie posted:

I don’t know poo poo about voltron and that set looks amazing. Not even a bad part/price ratio either.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Welp I had $25 in points to redeem AND I signed up a new client this week so I'm treating myself to the DB5 because that ejector seat is about the coolest play function I've ever seen. Mad that they couldn't give you an official Bond minifig but w/e, it's not like they're hard to make.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

Welp I had $25 in points to redeem AND I signed up a new client this week so I'm treating myself to the DB5 because that ejector seat is about the coolest play function I've ever seen. Mad that they couldn't give you an official Bond minifig but w/e, it's not like they're hard to make.

+

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The second one is TLBM Bruce Wayne from the batcave set, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's Bruce. Not sure which set. I just searched for tuxedo. I almost used the Magician one, but I don't remember Bond w/ a big red cummerbund.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Tuxedo'd Indiana Jones is my go to Bond torso piece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That DB5 is just too ugly for me. The side profile is about as good as you could probably get, but every other angle just looks like garbage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zodack posted:

God drat that owns. I should have done the same. :smith:

Which film did Connery don a monocle, grey hairs and a beard for a Bond role?

Also Voltron looks as good as they could do, shame about the thunder thighs on the Black one though. I hope we can get more Japanese sets, Macross, Gundam, Metal Slug? They'd all own.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Zodack posted:

Everyone's concious is different, I know I would kinda feel like a dick if I had a $800 Millennium Falcon on my shelf, but I would like even more of a dick I had got it for a great price and resold it for full price. To help clear your concise, I would begrudgingly take it off your hands for the amount you paid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

To help clear your concise, I would begrudgingly take it off your hands for the amount you paid.

Same + USD$1.00

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The only aesthetic complaint I have about the Voltron (i.e., laying aside lack of articulation, etc) is that the back looks like rear end, no pun intended. Obviously, I don't know whether some of that was a consequence of the individual lion mechanics, but it just looks like the bottom of Lego bricks. Given the effort that went into the rest of the set, it would have been nice for some of that to have been smoothed or angled out via slopes and tiles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That would probably require Lego to make a bunch of new parts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ordered!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cojawfee posted:

Nah, just adding a bunch of those studs on one side, tile on the other plates. Which would make it much more expensive, but you can get them yourself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah, just adding a bunch of those studs on one side, tile on the other plates. Which would make it much more expensive, but you can get them yourself.

I’ll probably do something like this. And possibly any hip/knee/ankle mods. I’m not gonna play with it but I wouldn’t mind a better pose.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cojawfee posted:

Not at all. Inverted bows, slopes, tiles. All exist. $5-10 worth of parts could do it easily. Shouldn't have been a problem for Lego to do it for an extra $3 on the MSRP, which is why it annoys me.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Might be a stupid question, I see that the Aston comes with the License to Build card. What are the chances the Voltron comes with one? My only major gripe with it is that it doesn't come with the pilots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pretty sure the "license to build" thing is a play on license to kill.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrChud posted:

Might be a stupid question, I see that the Aston comes with the License to Build card. What are the chances the Voltron comes with one? My only major gripe with it is that it doesn't come with the pilots.

All purchases of it come with the card? Does it work as a VIP card?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure the "license to build" thing is a play on license to kill.

Oh definitely it is. I meant like would Voltron maybe come with a similar card, kinda like how the UCS MF came with a card for VIP members

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ordered the DB5 and Light Cycles because what the heck.

Also big thanks to whomever mentioned looking for Spaceship^3 on Bricklink, I found a dude in Quebec with a sealed set for a bit more than retail. I am hype.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

It doesn't look like a DB5 so much as some other older cars that I can't quite name.

As some on Brickset have pointed out, it kind of looks like a Trabant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Brickset already has a DB5 review up. Still not happy with the overall look, but the gadget mechanisms look clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Brickvault has a video review up and that ejector seat function is slick as hell.