Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

IN

e: gently caress me, the worst page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The excessive cut vids are from F-Word, aren't they? In the actual cooking shows he does there's not that much cutting and he goes through how to do the recipes pretty well.

Also on the topic of Ramsay I would pay good money for an entire series based solely around this concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gdl-A1DvpA

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I agree. I loving love that and the Daniel Boulud one. Gordon's is way better though.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Bagheera posted:

Herbs in pizza dough? Maybe, no, or hell no?

I make this pizza dough recipe from the New York Times. It's easy to make and tastes really drat good.

I'm finally having the pizza party I've been posting about. One dough ball for each guest. Bowls of sauce, plates of cheese, trays of toppings, really hot oven. Everybody gets to make their own pizza.

For variety, I'm thinking of messing with the dough. The simplest thing would be to mix herbs in some of the dough balls. Rosemary in this one, basil in that. I know it's completely non-traditional, but I'll take taste over authenticity any day.

What do you think? If someone gave you a 12 inch pizza with rosemary in the dough, how would you react?

I would just do bowls of herbs.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

Also on the topic of Ramsay I would pay good money for an entire series based solely around this concept

God drat, that was so hard to watch. I really felt for the guy — I love to cook, but speed is not my strong suit, and I get overwhelmed really easily if I don't feel like I know what I'm doing

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

The excessive cut vids are from F-Word, aren't they? In the actual cooking shows he does there's not that much cutting and he goes through how to do the recipes pretty well.

I love at the end, his "holy gently caress... did you drop it!?"

Gordon is the loving best.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

AnonSpore posted:

This is amazing and would also pay good money for this series

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Oh god, I could not even get through half of the video before turning it off, so much cringe. :cripes:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is Jaime Oliver a total cornball or is that just how English people are?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I made fried rice w/ shrimp tonight and it was perfect except for one thing, the sliced up baby carrots were crunchy even though they were sautéed with the vegetables. The broccoli wasn't crunchy at all, somehow.

Do carrots require a way longer sauté time to get soft? It's either that or soak them in water first, which I also didn't do.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

I made fried rice w/ shrimp tonight and it was perfect except for one thing, the sliced up baby carrots were crunchy even though they were sautéed with the vegetables. The broccoli wasn't crunchy at all, somehow.

Do carrots require a way longer sauté time to get soft? It's either that or soak them in water first, which I also didn't do.

How small were the carrots? If you cook them with like onions or something smaller I think they would cook fairly fast. If they're in at the same time as big pieces of broccoli they may not get as much direct heat. Like if they end up on top of the broccoli or in-between and there's no lid they'll just kind of sit and not cook. They probably do take a little more time than broccoli, depending on the size and cooking method.

I don't think soaking them would decrease cooking time.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

What's a cornball?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Eeyo posted:

What's a cornball?

A Bluth family favorite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6mpuJuF54

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

He's a oval office.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

His vids are intentionally silly. The vids with Gennaro are both funny and informative.

On Gordon Ramsey: Based on YouTube clips, it seems his British and American shows have completely different attitudes. In the British shows he's "tough but fair," giving pep talks to his staff and keeping f-bombs to a minimum. The American shows have the Gordon we (Americans) know and love, with constant screaming and the most vicious takedowns of bad food ever.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Eeyo posted:

What's a cornball?

A ham. Someone who's trying to be goofy or entertaining but is sort of embarrassing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Jamie Oliver is fun to watch for the schadenfreud. He's so idealistic and optimistic and Go!Great!Food! all the time, then they put him in front of a bunch of children who respond to his frantic "Eat! Healthy!" by devouring deep-fried nonsense and ignoring his organic bullshit salad. Watching his face collapse at that moment is golden.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bagheera posted:

His vids are intentionally silly. The vids with Gennaro are both funny and informative.

On Gordon Ramsey: Based on YouTube clips, it seems his British and American shows have completely different attitudes. In the British shows he's "tough but fair," giving pep talks to his staff and keeping f-bombs to a minimum. The American shows have the Gordon we (Americans) know and love, with constant screaming and the most vicious takedowns of bad food ever.

The couple seasons of the F-word I watched on Amazon were miles ahead of any poo poo he's in stateside. Hotel Hell what the gently caress is even up with that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
American major network (abc,nbc,cbs) television is mostly poo poo. I'm trying to think of an exception but can't.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

American major network (abc,nbc,cbs) television is mostly poo poo. I'm trying to think of an exception but can't.

Hannibal was on NBC for some reason and it was a glorious 3 years of late night cable violence, cable writing and acting and cable art direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERf2QUejG0c

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
NBC also has The Good Place which is the best comedy on TV right now.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

NBC also has The Good Place which is the best comedy on TV right now.

It’s on Netflix too, one of the best comedies I’ve seen in years.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

wormil posted:

American major network (abc,nbc,cbs) television is mostly poo poo.

Yeah, look at the rest of our "reality" TV. Better yet, don't. Just take my word for it. It's trashy manufactured drama, without a single minute where people aren't constantly backstabbing each other or throwing fists. Gordon loving Ramsay is playing a character for his American audiences.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Cross-posting from the pizza thread, because it doesn't get much traffic. When baking bread, how do you define hydration? The ratio of liquid to flour? Or the percentage of liquid in the total dish?

Ex.: I made a batch of pizza dough with 900 grams flour and 600 grams water (plus yeast and salt of course). Is that 66% hydration, because the water is two-thirds the wight of the flour? Or is it 40% hydration, because liquid makes up 40% of the overall weight?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Bagheera posted:

Cross-posting from the pizza thread, because it doesn't get much traffic. When baking bread, how do you define hydration? The ratio of liquid to flour? Or the percentage of liquid in the total dish?

Ex.: I made a batch of pizza dough with 900 grams flour and 600 grams water (plus yeast and salt of course). Is that 66% hydration, because the water is two-thirds the wight of the flour? Or is it 40% hydration, because liquid makes up 40% of the overall weight?

That would be 66% hydration. Hydration is liquid weight divided by flour weight, expressed as a percentage. This is a pretty simple explanation from someone who doesn't bake enough, so maybe others can provide more detail.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bagheera posted:

That's 66.7% hydration. Scaling is done as a proportion of a static weight, usually flour, set at 100%.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks. I thought that was the case, because people recommend 60%-70% hydration for Neopolitan pizza dough, and 60% by the other method would be soup. Thanks for confirming.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bagheera posted:

Yeah, look at the rest of our "reality" TV. Better yet, don't. Just take my word for it. It's trashy manufactured drama, without a single minute where people aren't constantly backstabbing each other or throwing fists. Gordon loving Ramsay is playing a character for his American audiences.

Yeah, if you want a good example compare an episode of Masterchef USA to Masterchef Australia. USA has both judges and contestants constantly arguing, yelling and generally being awful people. It’s actually unpleasant to watch a lot of the time.

Australia on the other hand is a huge hug-fest where everyone loves each other, and the contestants constantly cry about missing their children and seeing their friends get eliminated :unsmith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Gorman posted:

I made way too much curry the other day. WAY too much. As in, I expected another 20 or more servings to be gone, but turns out it was too spicy for the crowd. It's lentil and spinach with smoked chicken. I've been eating it for lunch and dinner with rice as usual but I need a break.

1) Will this freeze well if it contains a fair amount of dairy? It has heavy cream in it.

It's probably fine. I freeze lentil curry all the time, and I froze a butter chicken a while back which reheated totally intact. Spinach might be weird but I imagine it basically dissolved the way spinach does anyway?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why does my pie dough always crack and become impossible to roll out? I follow the recipes, I even tried adding more water. What's the reason, still more water? Getting a bit ridiculous I feel. Is there something about the flour? We don't have the same kind of low and high protein flours that you get in america, no such distinction is made afaik. I used what is described as half-coarse flour, I would say it's our all purpose flour. Works great for bread.

I have no problems making pie if I just pour the batch from the food processor into the tray and just hand shape it to the pie bowl. But making rollable dough is another story.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, if you want a good example compare an episode of Masterchef USA to Masterchef Australia. USA has both judges and contestants constantly arguing, yelling and generally being awful people. It’s actually unpleasant to watch a lot of the time.

Australia on the other hand is a huge hug-fest where everyone loves each other, and the contestants constantly cry about missing their children and seeing their friends get eliminated :unsmith:

We constantly joke that Masterchef Australia should be sponsored by Kleenex, but yeah, it’s a fantastic show where the emphasis is on the food produced and being the best chef you can to win rather than backstabbing the others to win by default. It’s like the Great British Bake Off, and the Great Australian Bake Off, in terms of niceness and sheer feel goodness. They are all great watches.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Why does my pie dough always crack and become impossible to roll out? I follow the recipes, I even tried adding more water. What's the reason, still more water? Getting a bit ridiculous I feel. Is there something about the flour? We don't have the same kind of low and high protein flours that you get in america, no such distinction is made afaik. I used what is described as half-coarse flour, I would say it's our all purpose flour. Works great for bread.

I have no problems making pie if I just pour the batch from the food processor into the tray and just hand shape it to the pie bowl. But making rollable dough is another story.

How long are you resting it in the fridge before rolling? Your flour may not have hydrated enough, which is a factor of time as much as added water.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BrianBoitano posted:

How long are you resting it in the fridge before rolling? Your flour may not have hydrated enough, which is a factor of time as much as added water.

I had it an hour in the fridge wrapped in plastic. When I took it out it was rock hard and crumbled. In desperation I crumbled it back up into a bowl and added more water and then I managed to get something half way usable, finished product looks pie-ish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

For pie dough, recipes are never exact. Depending on relative humidity and age/type of flour used, you need more or less water.

Here's my notes for pie crust

quote:

For each pie dough, so double for a double crust:

Fill a measuring cup with ice water

130 grams flour (about 1 cup)
3-5 grams salt (1/2 - 1 tsp coarse salt / heaping 1/2 - 3/4 tsp fine salt. Use less for savory pie, a bit more for sweeter pie)
113 grams butter (1 stick)

Cube butter (same as with biscuits) and make sure the butter is cold. Stick flour and butter in fridge if you need to.

Mix salt into the flour. Use a big bowl or better if you have a good flat work surface, pour your flour onto the surface. Toss the cubes of butter with the flour and then use the heels of your palms to quickly work the butter into the dough. If you are doing this on a table, the technique of fraisage works well (video here, though this is fraisage with a fully hydrated dough, but the movement is the same and you’re not working with a dough but to work butter into the flour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJp1dX43zgI). In a bowl you might need to squeeze your palms together some. As with biscuits do not overwork the butter. Once you are close, give the mixture a toss with your fingers to find any lumps of butter and squeeze those individually with your fingers into flattened flakes.

Transfer your proto-dough back into the bowl if you were using the surface. Drizzle in some water, maybe 3 tablespoons per 130 g flour to start. Use your hand to turn the dough like a drum in the bowl and feel for hydration. Don’t be too afraid to add a tablespoon or so more water for a smooth dough of if your flour is dry. The dough should be not quite tacky when properly hydrated so don’t go too far, it should just form into a dough without needing too much effort for you to work the dough into something that rolls smoothly.

Divide the dough in half if doing a double crust, sprinkle with a bit of flour and roll into a rough disc, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Overnight or a couple days is okay too. After that freeze the dough.

The important part is that the amount of water varies. Another tsp or two of water can make a huge difference later on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah well it's winter here and currently -15C outside, relative humidity indoors can be down to 30% then.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats up with poblano peppers? They are delicious and I love them, but their spiciness is loving schizophrenic as hell and it makes it hard to use them reliably. I read somewhere that the darker the poblano the spicier it is, but I'm pretty sure that is bullshit. Anyone have a reliable way besides taking a big bite out of them in the store to be able to tell if you're getting a spicy poblano or a mild poblano?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats up with poblano peppers? They are delicious and I love them, but their spiciness is loving schizophrenic as hell and it makes it hard to use them reliably. I read somewhere that the darker the poblano the spicier it is, but I'm pretty sure that is bullshit. Anyone have a reliable way besides taking a big bite out of them in the store to be able to tell if you're getting a spicy poblano or a mild poblano?

Take a tiny bit from the tip with your fingernail and taste that. Or buy a bunch because they're cheap.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I have a Zwilling 6-quart dutch oven. It's 3-ply stainless steel and aluminum with a non-stick interior. It has a glass lid. I've used it with good results for soups, sauces, roasts, and no-knead bread.

I'm thinking about buying a cast-iron enameled dutch oven. Probably the Lodge brand. Space in our kitchen is a bit tight, however. Will I see very different results with a cast-iron Dutch oven as opposed to the steel/aluminum?

I can see two reasons why the Lodge would produce better results: (1)It's not non-stick, so it's easier to sear, (2)cast iron radiates heat better than steel. But will I see noticeable differences? I don't want to use up a bunch of space in my kitchen if the difference in quality isn't really noticeable.

EDIT: Serious Eats has a recipe for pulled pork in a Dutch oven. Supposedly it's better than slow cooker but not as good as actual barbeque pulled pork (of course). One step asks you to flambe the pork in bourbon. Put the pork in the Dutch oven. Sear on all sides. Pour half a cup of Bourbon over the pork and light it up. What are the odds that doing in my Thermolon ceramic-coated non-stick Dutch oven will destroy the coating?

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 4, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bagheera posted:

I have a Zwilling 6-quart dutch oven. It's 3-ply stainless steel and aluminum with a non-stick interior. It has a glass lid. I've used it with good results for soups, sauces, roasts, and no-knead bread.

I'm thinking about buying a cast-iron enameled dutch oven. Probably the Lodge brand. Space in our kitchen is a bit tight, however. Will I see very different results with a cast-iron Dutch oven as opposed to the steel/aluminum?

I can see two reasons why the Lodge would produce better results: (1)It's not non-stick, so it's easier to sear, (2)cast iron radiates heat better than steel. But will I see noticeable differences? I don't want to use up a bunch of space in my kitchen if the difference in quality isn't really noticeable.

EDIT: Serious Eats has a recipe for pulled pork in a Dutch oven. Supposedly it's better than slow cooker but not as good as actual barbeque pulled pork (of course). One step asks you to flambe the pork in bourbon. Put the pork in the Dutch oven. Sear on all sides. Pour half a cup of Bourbon over the pork and light it up. What are the odds that doing in my Thermolon ceramic-coated non-stick Dutch oven will destroy the coating?

I have a Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven just like that one and it is way better than the stainless one I had before, it browns much better and cooks incredibly evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The Lodge is awesome bang for your buck. You can usually get it discounted on Amazon and it's easily one of the two or three most used pieces in my kitchen.