Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

the game never cheats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9oMSPzChgk&t=3s

- a neutral Tourist enters the dungeon
- a lawfully aligned artifact happens to be on the entry stairs
- default autopickup setting grabs it
- Hits the chance for damage when picking up an unintelligent cross-aligned artifact
- Damage is big enough & starting HP low enough to be immediately lethal
- Dead with no player input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How! posted:

I’ve had Disco Elysium installed for about a year and haven’t gotten past the first bit with the guy in the tree. (No fault of the game, I’ve just been busy)

So I’ve restarted and played the same starting area probably a dozen times before life gets in the way, and each time it’s just a little different.

Today I got two game-overs in that area because I tried to run out on my bar tab, had a heart attack, and died. The second time a kid made fun of me so bad I just quit being a cop and the game ended.

I’m doing better this time, and I’m looking forward to the rest of it.

You could um. Save.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Do be aware that DE health and morale works earthbound style and you have a moment to hit yourself with a sweet dose of magnesium or meds to bounce back before you game over after a kid calls you slang for genitalia

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9oMSPzChgk&t=3s

- a neutral Tourist enters the dungeon
- a lawfully aligned artifact happens to be on the entry stairs
- default autopickup setting grabs it
- Hits the chance for damage when picking up an unintelligent cross-aligned artifact
- Damage is big enough & starting HP low enough to be immediately lethal
- Dead with no player input

I'm not saying that there's not unfair ways to die, to be clear. It's a rogue like, and an old one at that. I'm saying that once you know enough about the game it never switches it up on you. Generally you know what the risks of an action are and how likely it is to kill you, and the game never messes with that or adjusts enemy difficulty. It's fair in the sense that if you're careful and know what risks to take deaths are usually your own fault

Besides, there's a way out of this one. Your pet can pick up and move objects without triggering anything, except cursed objects. Which is also a good way to ID cursed objects without equipping them as an aside and it's the same way you can steal from the shopkeep super easily. I believe if you get the pet into the right spot you'd be able to move it off the stairs if you don't want to take that risk. Or just turn auto pick up off (which honestly you should anyway)

Auto pickup and touching things can get you into all kinds of trouble anyway, my favorite being: getting blinded means that your character touches things to try to ID them. So if you're not wearing gloves and the thing you're trying to ID is a cockatrice than you just kinda die. Or other fun ones like if you don't grease your helmet then you're gonna get mind flayered at some point.

Basically the deaths can be unfair, but once you know about it there's always a way to avoid it and the game isn't gonna pull a switcheroo and get you with it anyway. Like in Mario maker the best hard levels don't have a ton of invisible blocks to kill you once you beat the challenge they've laid out. It's fun acquiring knowledge of how to avoid those situations, and makes you feel pretty dang good when you finally nail an ascension

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think one thing to bear in mind about Nethack is that a lot of the checks and tests are quite binary by comparison to more modern roguelikes. There are a lot of things that can and will kill you unless you have a specific counter, like the greased helmet example. In that sense there's an almost puzzle-like or knowledge-check approach to it as opposed to just being able to power through with a good stat balance.

That's not to say there aren't usually multiple ways to power through or trick your way past most stuff, but that tends to be higher level play that requires more expertise than just learning the expected approach, so I'm not really counting it for newer players.

It's not to my taste but it's just a different design approach from before the genre had all of its established rules

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think one thing to bear in mind about Nethack is that a lot of the checks and tests are quite binary by comparison to more modern roguelikes. There are a lot of things that can and will kill you unless you have a specific counter, like the greased helmet example. In that sense there's an almost puzzle-like or knowledge-check approach to it as opposed to just being able to power through with a good stat balance.

That's not to say there aren't usually multiple ways to power through or trick your way past most stuff, but that tends to be higher level play that requires more expertise than just learning the expected approach, so I'm not really counting it for newer players.

It's not to my taste but it's just a different design approach from before the genre had all of its established rules

:yeah:

Actually that's a way better way of describing what I like about net hack. Everything has a defined solution, and careful preparation and knowing enough about the game can let you see a lot of runs to ascension. Of course, sometimes the game just doesn't quite give you what you need, but it's pretty rare for something to be completely, totally unwinnable so long as you take your time and really plan what you're trying to do. It can absolutely happen though, still a roguelike and still rng of course!

There's even kinda difficulty levels with being able to play as Barbarian of Valks to start which gives you a huge leg up (and the ability to get Excalibur in valks case) not to mention knowing to engrave Elbereth to get yourself out of really bad situations. Knowing which monsters to use your big scrolls on, managing your risk with shopkeep ID-ing and not taking unnecessary blind read/drink risks

It gives me the same brain feels as learning random stuff about fighting games and then applying it to be honest

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 13:54 on May 19, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also, even dumb Nethack failures can often have this absurdism to them that makes them fun to reflect on. Sure, it would be kinda lovely to die on turn zero, if it weren't for the fact you can unpack the crazy sequence of events that led it to happen.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does anyone have a link to that dungeon crawl stone soup LP where someone decided to eat all the purple mutation meat and basically became a god? At one point the thread title was "you'll never be as lucky as $username"

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

How! posted:

I’ve had Disco Elysium installed for about a year and haven’t gotten past the first bit with the guy in the tree. (No fault of the game, I’ve just been busy)

So I’ve restarted and played the same starting area probably a dozen times before life gets in the way, and each time it’s just a little different.

Today I got two game-overs in that area because I tried to run out on my bar tab, had a heart attack, and died. The second time a kid made fun of me so bad I just quit being a cop and the game ended.

I’m doing better this time, and I’m looking forward to the rest of it.

It's so good. My first game-over came from depleting my morale when I tried to punch that kid but I missed and fell to the ground and he laughed at me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Acute Grill posted:

I always liked zooming way in and watching a volley of flaming arrows arc toward the enemy in Total War games. Flaming arrows are just inherently cool.

I remember playing Stronghold and you could get little braziers for free to put near archers. They didn't add more damage and were only really for setting pitch traps on fire.

But you better believe I put those fuckers everywhere. I mean, why the hell wouldn't you?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cleretic posted:

It's surprising that you got as far as Omega given that distaste.

I think the main problem with Minfilia's outfit isn't that it's weird nonsense, since it's basically your usual Final Fantasy fare (personally I like it), but that she's the only one dressed like that. Everyone else was clad in the sort of drab garb that you get from a lot of low fantasy stuff (your Witchers, Games of Thrones, big parts of Dragon Age) because that was generally the art direction that the original 1.0 release went with. The new director for A Realm Reborn onwards instead wanted things to be a lot more vibrant and visually interesting, befitting of Final Fantasy, but he had a super shoestring budget, so the vast majority of the result had the same old assets, it's only the new models that have a more 'Final Fantasy' art direction, which means they end up clashing. That includes Minfilia, the elf twins, and the Imperial generals.

Oh lol no, I just listened to the music on Youtube. To quote a wise Youtube comment, FFXIV is a wonderful concept album with a boring video game attached.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh lol no, I just listened to the music on Youtube. To quote a wise Youtube comment, FFXIV is a wonderful concept album with a boring video game attached.

There's some really good stuff in FFXIV but uh.. it's just like 60 hours in, then like with a bad expansion between two really good ones

It's a bit inconsistent

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Timotheous Venture posted:

It's so good. My first game-over came from depleting my morale when I tried to punch that kid but I missed and fell to the ground and he laughed at me.

My first one happened when I lovingly stroked a car and had a sudden mental breakdown out of nowhere. After beating the game, I understand why but it was so confusing and funny to me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I managed to beat the game on the first try without ever hitting zero health or morale and I feel like I missed out

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friend sat on a chair that was so uncomfortable it killed him on the spot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I hate that drat chair so much

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

I managed to beat the game on the first try without ever hitting zero health or morale and I feel like I missed out

I was playing the premade intellectual build, so I only had one point of morale to lose.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Warbird posted:

I hate that drat chair so much

The dude was just trying to make a dumb power play but now he has to deal with a corpse in his office, so if you think about it you still win.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The joke is that if you don't change the default options before starting the program, there is a very small (1 in several million), but nonzero chance that you instantly die on Turn 0 without any chance to do anything. (autopickup's behavior in general is a baked-in bug. It's a mechanical feature masquerading as an interface feature, picking things up via autopickup doesn't use a turn like manually picking something up)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

My friend sat on a chair that was so uncomfortable it killed him on the spot.

it's so satisfying to stare Evrart down at the start of that conversation.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

The joke is that if you don't change the default options before starting the program, there is a very small (1 in several million), but nonzero chance that you instantly die on Turn 0 without any chance to do anything. (autopickup's behavior in general is a baked-in bug. It's a mechanical feature masquerading as an interface feature, picking things up via autopickup doesn't use a turn like manually picking something up)

Totally get ya. I always turn it off cause it's so rare I need to pick up something on the same turn I'm doing something else, or configure it to not pick up corpses and stuff just in case

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My first playthrough of Disco Elysium involved dying when trying to retrieve my tie. Literally the first thing I tried to do. loving amazing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Kim was so loving proud of me for shooting down the body. Aces high! Aces low!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Necrothatcher posted:

it's so satisfying to stare Evrart down at the start of that conversation.

I like to take the check without saying anything. Trying to bribe me and then guilt me about it later? Good loving luck.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Screaming Idiot posted:

Kim was so loving proud of me for shooting down the body. Aces high! Aces low!

I never got rid of the Aces High / Finger Guns thought combo.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Playing La Mulana and it struck me how satisfying it is to figure something out in a game yourself. I mean the player figuring something out, not the character's magic notebook getting updates with the solution to whatever problem is presented and an arrow pointing directly to the objective.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People underestimate how good it feels to succeed by yourself. Word of warning keep your notebook the hell away from any liquids I ruined my La Mulana 2 run by destroying half a notebook worth of maps and notes. I can't even imagine starting again at this point

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

People underestimate how good it feels to succeed by yourself. Word of warning keep your notebook the hell away from any liquids I ruined my La Mulana 2 run by destroying half a notebook worth of maps and notes. I can't even imagine starting again at this point

I lost my La-Mulana 1 notebook in a cross-country move, back when I was playing it on PC. I've since gone back every two or three years (when it gets a port), but...yeah. While I know some of the early puzzles, bosses, and item locations by heart, I get to those midgame puzzles and have the ghost memory of, Wait how did this go?, as I had documented and conquered that poo poo over one magical & sweaty grad school summer. I had beaten this part

But the answers were in that notebook, full of maps and symbols and my own footnotes pointing back several pages to previous notes. It was such a document!!

And it remains MIA, as does my La-Mulana heart.

Then again, just remembering all of this makes me want to boot it up right now, and get back to CHARTIN'

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I really wish I was able to play those kinds of games

I dunno if it's my attention span or what, but if the game doesn't give me fairly concrete goals to accomplish, and sorta.. push me in the right direction to do them, I just lose all interest in the game eventually. Like I've never finished an elder scrolls game even though those do have quest trackers and stuff in the modern games. I just end up losing interest after a few hours.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

People underestimate how good it feels to succeed by yourself.
When I was 12, I figured out the overarching animal sounds/grid location puzzle in Riven all by myself after like a week of struggling. It is still my proudest video game moment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How about figuring out a base-5 counting system before you even understood non-base 10 counting systems conceptually.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

exquisite tea posted:

How about figuring out a base-5 counting system before you even understood non-base 10 counting systems conceptually.

i don't know what this means

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You increment after five instead of after ten

Foxfire_ posted:

When I was 12, I figured out the overarching animal sounds/grid location puzzle in Riven all by myself after like a week of struggling. It is still my proudest video game moment.

Major props dude, people underestimate Childrens ability to throw their heads at a problem until they succeed

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

Man that's nuts. The forest world had a path that led to a dome that took my dad and I absolutely forever to find, and we just did not connect map to grid to spinny dome's little colored dot to creature sound after that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I made my dad explain hexadecimal to me because I needed to edit my savegame ( it was the original xcom). He explained it to me several times but I didn't get it :)

I just played with a squad that couldnt hit poo poo because unpatched xcom starts counting from 1 again once you hit 100

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaius Marius posted:

You increment after five instead of after ten

I don't know what this means

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

verbal enema posted:

I don't know what this means

Chop off a hand and use the remaining one to count, it'll make it much clearer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

verbal enema posted:

i don't know what this means

In order to solve Riven's ultimate puzzle you have to figure out that the D'ni counting system is base-5, i.e. 5 is when the number symbols roll over instead of 10. Well technically it's base-25 with the way it's presented in-game but simply figuring out this relationship when you're 12 years old and aren't even fully aware there are non-decimal counting systems is quite an intellectual leap.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

exquisite tea posted:

nerd poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uey1cojWQg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

exquisite tea posted:

In order to solve Riven's ultimate puzzle you have to figure out that the D'ni counting system is base-5, i.e. 5 is when the number symbols roll over instead of 10. Well technically it's base-25 with the way it's presented in-game but simply figuring out this relationship when you're 12 years old and aren't even fully aware there are non-decimal counting systems is quite an intellectual leap.

man am i glad i am not responsible for people's lives cuz

i don't know what that means

10 is 2 5's!! What the gently caress!!!