Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aranan posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread because I accidentally posted it there instead of here. Oops.

Very much not convinced with the helmets (they'd benefit greatly from a chipped/rusted look IMO), but that off-white color is just begging to be used for bare sickly skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Crossposting from Scale Model thread. Anyone have suggestions for achieving this color/finish?

punishedkissinger posted:

getting ready for final assembly, prime and painting of my Nautilus. What do yall think for coloring? I mainly rely on the Vellejo Model Color Metals. I was thinking of gunmetal all around and then building up that rusty color with oils and pigments. Definitely going for the Disney style as much as possible here. Something like this:

edit: I also have a Vallejo light rust wash that might be useful here

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Crossposting from Scale Model thread. Anyone have suggestions for achieving this color/finish?

You could always try this product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LIV9ChZ-8

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

holy moly that is extreme. Seems like you might not have a lot of control though?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

holy moly that is extreme. Seems like you might not have a lot of control though?

Part of getting a realistic patina means unevenness.

Something else you could do is basecoat a really dark metal, and then start sponging on browns and rust tones. I would avoid brushing on paint in this way so you can avoid brush strokes.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Pierzak posted:

Very much not convinced with the helmets (they'd benefit greatly from a chipped/rusted look IMO), but that off-white color is just begging to be used for bare sickly skin.

Huh, ok. I still have to do lenses/brass/silver/black piping on them, but the white was essentially at the "I'm done with it" point. Is the issue that there's just too much white without anything breaking it up?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aranan posted:

Huh, ok. I still have to do lenses/brass/silver/black piping on them, but the white was essentially at the "I'm done with it" point. Is the issue that there's just too much white without anything breaking it up?

I don't think so, it just looks unfinished, like at a stage when you're done with most of the model and were about to start detailing the helmets. Maybe it's the edge highlights being much more visible on the green so their relative lack on the helmets immediately grabs my attention. Waiting to see how they look like when fully painted though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

As always Vince has a video on it. The TL;DR is a mix of VMC golds and the GSW metal pigments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_1W7zR-cA&t=1s

To note, if you want a more desaturated gold you can just mix in a bit of VMC silver or any other bright metal to cut down on some of the orange.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
tiny skaven skirmish is happening

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Pierzak posted:

I don't think so, it just looks unfinished, like at a stage when you're done with most of the model and were about to start detailing the helmets. Maybe it's the edge highlights being much more visible on the green so their relative lack on the helmets immediately grabs my attention. Waiting to see how they look like when fully painted though.

I'll finish them up before making any judgment calls, I guess.

I liked the idea in concept but I'm unsure at the results and/or my ability to pull them off. It remains to be seen if I keep it or just go to normal green helmets to match the rest of the armor.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

WIP on some Necromunda terrain. This took about 40 minutes using all rattle cans. I started with a Rustoleum black satin primer to seal the MDF. This gave it a great finish that keeps the primer from absorbing too much paint, which can give it a fuzzy texture. Next I sprayed with Liquitex Burnt Umber nearly all over, and finished it off with GW Leadbelcher spray.

Next steps include using the airbrush to stencil on some letters, numbers and hazard stripes. I might also do a wash, but I'm worried about the mdf soaking too much. I gotta think about it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wonder if you can do weathering with a tiny spray bottle filled with a home made wash (ink, flow improver, medium, water)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wonder if you can do weathering with a tiny spray bottle filled with a home made wash (ink, flow improver, medium, water)

ooh a spray bottle is an excellent idea. I'm thinking of making an oil wash to help prevent the potential for too much soaking, but that should be able to spray no problem.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some rust color dry brushing would go a long way to adding some depth on the edges all around and would be super fast/easy too. Looks like a great set though, who made it?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Some rust color dry brushing would go a long way to adding some depth on the edges all around and would be super fast/easy too. Looks like a great set though, who made it?

https://ttcombat.com/collections/industrial-hive/products/sector-1-beta-complex

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

How much was shipping to the USA? I kinda want to get some for KT

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

How much was shipping to the USA? I kinda want to get some for KT

They apparently do free shipping over 30 euros, but I picked mine up from an Etsy reseller for about $50 w/ shipping and handling.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SticksNStonesTerrain?ref=nla_listing_details

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aranan posted:

I'll finish them up before making any judgment calls, I guess.

I liked the idea in concept but I'm unsure at the results and/or my ability to pull them off. It remains to be seen if I keep it or just go to normal green helmets to match the rest of the armor.

What did you use for the helmet off-white anyway? I'm so stealing that if I make plague zombies or something.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Screaming Skull > Seraphim Sepia > Screaming Skull drybrush > Wraithbone drybrush

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Small streaks out of the eyes, rivets etc would look cool

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Here are some pictures I took of my Tyranids for Armies on Parade. My plan was to just enter the local store competition, but I figured since I had the board set up I'd send in an entry online as well. I started painting them almost two years ago, and definitely learned quite a bit along the way. Next time I probably should try to come up with a more interesting display board.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, the general knowledge and tips that I picked up here were a big help!

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I couldn't get AoS to stick in the past, but I'm hoping now that a friend showered me with 1000points of slaanesh as a gift I can get into it. I've always liked slaanesh and I know these mortals have been out a while, but they're my fav.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Alokgen posted:

I couldn't get AoS to stick in the past, but I'm hoping now that a friend showered me with 1000points of slaanesh as a gift I can get into it. I've always liked slaanesh and I know these mortals have been out a while, but they're my fav.

Wow

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I've hit a roadblock with this Charon figure. He looks good at the moment, but I want to add light from the lamps. Drybrushing some orange/yellow on him will cover up the details on the leather bits, but glazing over black is a fool's errand, right?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guzwar posted:

I've hit a roadblock with this Charon figure. He looks good at the moment, but I want to add light from the lamps. Drybrushing some orange/yellow on him will cover up the details on the leather bits, but glazing over black is a fool's errand, right?
I'd do some more highlights, using the lamps as the source, and then glaze over those highlights.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I painted my very first Space Marine! Looks better in person, photos show all the little errors you cant see in real life etc. etc., but despite all that I really thing this came out well! I'll need to paint the other ones I have soon.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Alokgen posted:

These are fantastic, especially Sigvald who looks appropriately glorious.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ghosts! posted:

Here are some pictures I took of my Tyranids for Armies on Parade. My plan was to just enter the local store competition, but I figured since I had the board set up I'd send in an entry online as well. I started painting them almost two years ago, and definitely learned quite a bit along the way. Next time I probably should try to come up with a more interesting display board.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, the general knowledge and tips that I picked up here were a big help!

That's great! The color scheme pops, and they look amazing all gathered together like that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah that's a great color scheme for that army. And well-executed too!

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Also in the AoS tread.

I painted an emerald lifeswarm. I wanted a metallic green so I painted ork flesh and gryph charger grey contrast paints over stormhost silver. It got pretty close to what I wanted.

I try to get one good photo of the models I paint and it's hard to get a good photo of this one. Under the lifeswarm it's blooming flowers and verdant grasses trust me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finally finished the Combat Arena minis, hope the game is fun! I never got to play Gorechosen

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Finally finished the Combat Arena minis, hope the game is fun! I never got to play Gorechosen

Nice! I played it a bit as a two player game and I think it's ok that way but the way the combat and rules work I think 3 players would be a much better game so rustle up a group of 3 if you can.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Painted up some Scourge to use in my army!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was watching Vince's video about filling gaps with varnish -- anyone know if it works with a spray can varnish?

I've finished assembling my Cygnar Stormwall colossal and it has really ugly seams going down each of its limbs from where the two halves join. Don't really want to spend a while hand brushing over the whole dang thing :p

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

EDIT: Wrong thread

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Sab669 posted:

I was watching Vince's video about filling gaps with varnish -- anyone know if it works with a spray can varnish?

I've finished assembling my Cygnar Stormwall colossal and it has really ugly seams going down each of its limbs from where the two halves join. Don't really want to spend a while hand brushing over the whole dang thing :p

you could decant the spray matt varnish and give it a go. don't use any nice brushes for this, you would need to clean them in turps or white spirit or just discard them

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do have the brushable vallejo stuff from his video on hand, it's just that being such a large model with many seams all over the place I was looking for the expediency of a rattle can

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I think the problem with trying to use a spray varnish to fill gaps is that you would be clogging details surrounding the area as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really need to get another thing of tamiya super thin to make some sprue goo. I'm used to Liquid Green Stuff now but holy moley that looks so much easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Desfore posted:

I think the problem with trying to use a spray varnish to fill gaps is that you would be clogging details surrounding the area as well.

Decided to hit the model with the can anyways.

Didn't really seem to do much to the detail -- I wouldn't expect it to, I mean the idea is you seal your minis after painting it with this stuff, yea? But it certainly didn't fill any gaps either.

^is there any consensus on plastic cement : sprue ratio? Or just keep melding sprues down until it's a good consistency?