Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i did not realize that gmail defaulted to showing recipients of your emails your google+ profile photo. guess the whole house of cards about how super hawt i am has been shattered for a few of you, lol. u still hire uggos, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

classic google

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i cant even find a setting to turn it off. shitttttt

edit: found it lol. apparently its on a new version of the settings page and my account still has the old settings page or something? found a url by google searching to type in to get to the right setting and turn it off.

but you can't turn it all the way off. the options are "everyone" and "people i can chat with". isn't everyone with a gmail someone i can chat with?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

you can do that in c# too, but in javascript's case i'm not seeing any distinctions between array and object at all really.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Object/prototype

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/prototype

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i cant even find a setting to turn it off. shitttttt

edit: found it lol. apparently its on a new version of the settings page and my account still has the old settings page or something? found a url by google searching to type in to get to the right setting and turn it off.

but you can't turn it all the way off. the options are "everyone" and "people i can chat with". isn't everyone with a gmail someone i can chat with?

i think you have to consent to chat with people (or maybe that is also a setting???)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Corla Plankun posted:

i think you have to consent to chat with people (or maybe that is also a setting???)

either way, the setting is dumb, hiding it is dumb, and having no "turned off" option is dummmmmmmbbbb

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

privacy is good, but then again: google.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I replaced mine with a picture of the dassault rafale because I'm an uggo and that plane is sexy

[AMA] about my dual stand-off runway cratering submunition missiles

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
google is bad

i'd forgotten g+ even existed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
my google+ profile photo is a generic blue dude icon on a light blue background because the only reason i even have a google+ profile is because youtube wouldn't loving shut up about some years ago.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
oh, looks like i've had the profile for 4 years. i have even made a public post: "lol if you think i'm using this for any other reason than google forcing it on me"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
but how else would you engage with Linus' brand?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

I use random 64-bit ints for PKs. Well, 63-bit really, because negative integer PKs are icky.

I mean, once upon a time the space of 64-bit integers was considered good enough for encryption key purposes, so it's probably fine, riiight? :ohdear:
in case anyone reads this and mistakes it for not a joke please don't ever do this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

comedyblissoption posted:

in case anyone reads this and mistakes it for not a joke please don't ever do this

i get all my crytographic advice from random people on the internet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i did not realize that gmail defaulted to showing recipients of your emails your google+ profile photo. guess the whole house of cards about how super hawt i am has been shattered for a few of you, lol. u still hire uggos, right?

Uggos yes, goog+ users no

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i get all my crytographic advice from random people on the internet

Good. Make sure to roll your own crypto, too! No one will be able to break it if you're the only one that knows how it works!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ive seen people use 32 bit hashes for identity thinking collisions are a negligible issue without understanding the birthday problem so anything is possible

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

other reasons not to use auto-id that have literally happened to me:
other bad people will hard-code ids of specific values to have special semantic meaning in the application (e.g. id 1 is special) instead of encoding this semantic meaning in an obvious way in the schema

other bad people will hard-code assumptions that the next id must always increment by 1 (this is objectively false)

i have regretted using auto-ids

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

just use natural keys unless you have a really good reason not to

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

other reasons not to use auto-id that have literally happened to me:
other bad people will hard-code ids of specific values to have special semantic meaning in the application (e.g. id 1 is special) instead of encoding this semantic meaning in an obvious way in the schema

other bad people will hard-code assumptions that the next id must always increment by 1 (this is objectively false)

i have regretted using auto-ids

I also dislike when people think that "ORDER BY id DESC" is equivalent to "ORDER BY CREATED DESC". I mean, 90% of the time that works, but you shouldn't count on it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

the talent deficit posted:

What do you mean by "natural keys"?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

uhh no

well i mean, yes, I guess, it's just "natural keys are loving horrible" is the really good reason not to

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lollin' @ the necessity of using createDelegate to bind an object's function to a different object without losing access to the original object's scope. i understand why its that way, but holy hell is that counterintuitive to how an object's functions work in any other language.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
unless the latest versions of javascript changed it, there is no "object scope" in javascript, only function and global scopes

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hackbunny posted:

unless the latest versions of javascript changed it, there is no "object scope" in javascript, only function and global scopes

there's block scoping now, but i'd be surprised if lmo was using es2015.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

a friend of mine is doing a programming bootcamp right now, using javascript. trying to answer their questions is really making me appreciate how wacky javascript is.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

jony neuemonic posted:

there's block scoping now, but i'd be surprised if lmo was using es2015.

fortunately you can transpile modern javascript to so it works on everything newer than ie8.

if you have to maintain an old codebase, welp,

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

oh, yeah. i meant that more in the "i'm gonna be surprised if epic has adopted a front-end build process" sense.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So they're making me work on frontend poo poo and so I said fuckit and am trying to do typescript.

jfc what have I done

I want to use Handlebars but how in the hell do I access Handlebars "stuff" in my ts class?? The d.ts files seem to be useless (even when added as a <reference>)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackbunny posted:

I replaced mine with a picture of the dassault rafale because I'm an uggo and that plane is sexy

[AMA] about my dual stand-off runway cratering submunition missiles

i use a picture of my dog because he's much more photogenic

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

So they're making me work on frontend poo poo and so I said fuckit and am trying to do typescript.

jfc what have I done

I want to use Handlebars but how in the hell do I access Handlebars "stuff" in my ts class?? The d.ts files seem to be useless (even when added as a <reference>)

typescript is great in theory but i hit these kind of issues every time i try to use it.

just use es2015 and comment your stuff well, imo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jony neuemonic posted:

typescript is great in theory but i hit these kind of issues every time i try to use it.

just use es2015 and comment your stuff well, imo.

Yeah, I don't have time to sit here and troubleshoot issues with a drat import statement.

Oh looks like my language level is ts 1.4. what is this mess, ok I'm done back to pjavascript for now

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lame, i was looking forward to try and get our poo poo in typescript.

jokes on me for expecting any of the random "javascipt but better" things out there to not be garbage.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 7, 2016

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

typescript is fantastic actually

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sapozhnik posted:

2^-63 is a very small probability. You're going to have far more network errors than bounced requests due to random PK collisions unless your data store is truly gigantic.

None of my applications are going to get THAT big.

just gonna quote these famous last words for posterity lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Gul Banana posted:

typescript is fantastic actually

yeah, i don't want to take away from typescript at all because it's genuinely really good. i've always experienced just enough friction using it with third party libraries to make it not feel worth the hassle though.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if your third party library doesn't provide .d.ts files then it's probably scrub tier poo poo that you should avoid anyway hth

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

to be clear i'm talking about scenarios where we use like.. one or two libraries and then a shitload of internally-developed code. it's great for building the kind of large systems that raw javascript is just atrocious for

i do not really like import/export, but that's javascript's fault also. imo when possible stick with namespaces (the former "internal modules") instead

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

i know, which is why i said i understand why it is like that. its just extremely counterintuitive that MyObject.Fart doesn't have any access to MyObject's properties if it's called by being bound to, say, a button's click handler. it's totally correct behavior in the context of javascript, but it's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my boss sold a customer an old worn-out tower we had lying in storage for years and listed it on the invoice as "hp5800 desktop computer; FREE beige colour customisation"

• Locked thread