Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Making a Memoji is the most frustrating thing. I just tried three god drat times making a Memoji and all three times failed so I give up. First time I swiped down to open my camera halfway through and poof all progress just disappears when you leave the Memoji maker. Second time I accidentally swiped up and there goes everything too. Third time I accidentally pressed the power button when I was physically switching phones to use the selfie camera and yeah all your choices are gone.

Fooled me once … twice … thrice … I’m done.

Kramering around the Memoji interface and I accidentally open the camera and poof. I slide up by accident again and my Memojis lost again. Bumping off the walls, I press the power button during setup and lost all progress. “drat you crapple!” I exclaim as I slide out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Memoji 2.0 needs independent eyebrow tech.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

withak posted:

If you think iPhones are a sad mess wait til you us.e an android phone for a while.

On Android hardware is hit or miss but the software is far better (even Samsunged Android is at this point).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any suggestions for content to show off the XS screen as compared to a 7?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Any suggestions for content to show off the XS screen as compared to a 7?

Netflix? 4k 60FPS iPhone video? https://www.nytimes.com?

The YouTube app will let you select resolution unlike Netflix so find a good 4k video to show. I like Doug DeMuro so here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnyPtKQKP3Y

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Something Offal posted:

Netflix? 4k 60FPS iPhone video? https://www.nytimes.com?

The YouTube app will let you select resolution unlike Netflix so find a good 4k video to show. I like Doug DeMuro so here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnyPtKQKP3Y

Any reason I only see YouTube videos that cap at 1080p?
[Ed] Maxx owner here.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 22, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Over There posted:

Loving the speakers

They're really nice, I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement over 6S.

I spent an hour last night making shortcuts.

Only downside so far is I can't reinstall iBird West. )=

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rick posted:

They're really nice, I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement over 6S.

I spent an hour last night making shortcuts.

Only downside so far is I can't reinstall iBird West. )=

Yeah the speakers are super good.

Also lol the MAXX doesn't rotate anymore like the + does.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 22, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Where is the best place to sell my iPhone X

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LODGE NORTH posted:

What's your stabbing toleration?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

swappa

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

for the people using makeover.io or whatever, is the picture the new format? that might be the problem.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the speakers are super good.

Also lol the MAXX doesn't rotate anymore like the + does.

So no more landscape home screen on the Max? I love it on my 8+.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Feenix posted:

[Ed] Maxx owner here.

Apple doesnt support the youtube 4k codec, on purpose, because Google makes it. Same with the Apple TV 4K- it doesn’t support youtube either. Oh Apple.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Sock The Great posted:

So no more landscape home screen on the Max? I love it on my 8+.

Seems to be gone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Seems to be gone

Likely because of FaceID

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Taima posted:

Apple doesnt support the youtube 4k codec, on purpose, because Google makes it. Same with the Apple TV 4K- it doesn’t support youtube either. Oh Apple.

Word. So the confusion I had was that someone recommended checking out 4K YouTube’s on the new phone. Guess that’s not a thing...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Proteus Jones posted:

Likely because of FaceID

LMAO holy loving poo poo you’re holding it wrong all over again, this time with our most expensive SKU, which lacks a feature from our second cheapest SKU.

Also, our Xr (that is pointless compared to just keeping the X around like Apple have done for every single iPhone / iPhone S iteration) doesn’t have 3D Touch, a feature our cheapest SKU has.

A lot of fart huffing happening in Cupertino these days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bobfather posted:

LMAO holy loving poo poo you’re holding it wrong all over again, this time with our most expensive SKU, which lacks a feature from our second cheapest SKU.

Also, our Xr (that is pointless compared to just keeping the X around like Apple have done for every single iPhone / iPhone S iteration) doesn’t have 3D Touch, a feature our cheapest SKU has.

Lol what the hell are you talking about?

New phone releases always break peoples brains LMAO.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What is even going on right now?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feenix posted:

What is even going on right now?

Forget it, Feenix. It's the iPhone thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m glad they made the XR, with its larger display and appealing color selection, and sold it for $750 instead of continuing to sell the X for $900.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

[Ed] Maxx owner here.

Does that vid cap at 1080? You need 4k uploaded videos to view at 4k.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Feenix posted:

Word. So the confusion I had was that someone recommended checking out 4K YouTube’s on the new phone. Guess that’s not a thing...

Your best bet is probably Netflix, it has 4K HDR content on the Max and it looks super good.

Amazon Prime video also has some 4k stuff that should work.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Nice, apple completely lost my wifes phone which she ordered through the apple upgrade program. And instead of contacting me like they said they would, they just issued a refund and placed a fake return order on her account. And the apple website is blocking her from re-ordering.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Have you tried just walking into a store and complaining? The silver lining here is that the order is refunded. They can probably release a phone for you.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

No. It’s not. Anything larger than a 5 is worse and the further it gets from that form factor the worse it is. Unless you’re a sadist, of course.

That’s still subjective. The Xs is objectively larger than the 5, which you are of the opinion is the ideal form factor. That is the definition of subjective. You apparently feel like form factor is the most important aspect of a phone and that it trumps speed and performance bumps in a phone. That’s fine, but that is not objective.

Don’t make “objective” 2018s “literally”

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Apple Stores still have a ton of stock. Even carrier stores have a handful too. The XS and XS Max definitely didn’t have the fanfare and clamor that precious phone had. Either that, or everyone realized how easy ordering online is and did that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EpicNemesis posted:

That’s still subjective. The Xs is objectively larger than the 5, which you are of the opinion is the ideal form factor. That is the definition of subjective. You apparently feel like form factor is the most important aspect of a phone and that it trumps speed and performance bumps in a phone. That’s fine, but that is not objective.

Don’t make “objective” 2018s “literally”

Exactly.

Personally I did anything narrower than the Plus models borderline unusable as the keyboard ends up too narrow.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Apple Stores still have a ton of stock. Even carrier stores have a handful too. The XS and XS Max definitely didn’t have the fanfare and clamor that precious phone had. Either that, or everyone realized how easy ordering online is and did that.

I’ve been doing S launches for years and I’ve never had a problem with getting an S year device without a preorder by just walking into a store with no line and buying one. I think it’s just the S-phenomenon and not any indictment of the device itself.

I could be wrong though and maybe this is the phone that kills Apple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Soooo searching in Settings doesn’t seem to work on my XS.

I saw someone else in the thread having the same probably. Anyone found a fix for it yet?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Question Mark Mound posted:

Soooo searching in Settings doesn’t seem to work on my XS.

I saw someone else in the thread having the same probably. Anyone found a fix for it yet?

As weird as it sounds it takes a while for your phone to process all the search responses, even the set menus. So just wait a bit and it should work in a day or so when it’s done crunching everything.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Depending on how new it is, has it built the search index yet? I remember this coming up with a IOS update recently.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah, hopefully that’s it then. I was kind of assuming that OS stuff would be pre-indexed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bobfather posted:

I had a 7+ and loathed the fact that you couldn't disable the rotatable home screen. Like what's the point? I've never wanted my home screen in landscape, not a single time. The only use case I could think of is people who have their phones constantly mounted sideways in their cars.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
If you select the zoomed display option it disables the turning home screen.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

First Forbes article I've read that wasn't total clickbait poo poo. I knew something looked a bit off in iOS 12, starting with the badge icons/bubbles that weren't quite as red as usual. Can't say it's "ruining my display with a poor calibration" though...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

enojy posted:

First Forbes article I've read that wasn't total clickbait poo poo. I knew something looked a bit off in iOS 12, starting with the badge icons/bubbles that weren't quite as red as usual. Can't say it's "ruining my display with a poor calibration" though...

Ugh that article and the use of the word “dangerous”. Words just don’t mean anything these days.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Words objectively don't mean anything, literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Something something postmodernism something something Derrida trace differance endless signifiers Fred Jameson late capitalism fake news