Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My kids wanted to watch Small Foot for Friday movie night tonight, and it was going fine, until James Corden showed up. He's just... bad. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was cheering on the farmers in Peter Rabbit.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

I was cheering on the farmers in Peter Rabbit.
Mr MacGregor is unironically easier to root for than Peter Rabbit, yes. They really captured the essence of James Corden in that role.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pablo Bluth posted:

Mike's prize task reveal was one of those classic Taskmaster moments that defines the series. Overall a decent series and much better than the previous one. That said, I think it still struggles a bit with devising constantly good tasks.

The best part is he didn't really have to do that to demonstrate his thing. I'm pretty sure he'd have only gotten middle of the pack points if he didn't, but he wanted those points bad and he committed for them. It suits him too, oddly enough. I was more impressed Charlotte really pulled together in the last two episodes though, and I thought for a second she might have won this episode too. Given her point score was a recurring joke earlier in the series she didn't actually finish that far off the rest of the contestants, only maybe 10 points behind Jamali.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah it was really good. The photocopier task fell slightly flat but the rest was gold. Best prize task entry since the early days?

Between Alex having his head dunked in water, several blindfolded people stumbling into a bunker, Sarah firing a staple at Alex's head and Lee flailing a nail bat around I'm amazed there were no serious injuries.

There's something incredible that even after 11 seasons throwing some blind folds on people, and telling someone to guide them using just 3 words every 30 seconds produces one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

Mike's prize task doesn't beat Josh's tattoo, but it's a good attempt.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I haven’t gone back to check but I’m pretty sure they said both 30 seconds and 20 seconds at one point. Which is it Alex :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Another gold episode of This Time. The story of Lynn with the bird buckled me.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I thought I was getting tired of the Taskmaster format after season 10 but they knocked it out of the park with 11 and will chalk 10 up to issues due to first time under covid restrictions.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I haven’t gone back to check but I’m pretty sure they said both 30 seconds and 20 seconds at one point. Which is it Alex :colbert:

I think it was different for the team of 2 and team of 3

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

not a bot posted:

I thought I was getting tired of the Taskmaster format after season 10 but they knocked it out of the park with 11 and will chalk 10 up to issues due to first time under covid restrictions.
I was listening to the official TM podcast and Little Alex Horne said most of the stuff was recorded before COVID, so that only really affected the studio segments*. The socially-distanced-studio-without-an-audience didn't help but I think it was a combination of the five-contestant-combo not quite working (impossible to predict) and the production team just not coming up with the goods when setting tasks. S10 had great highlights (Daisy performance during Watermelon II is one of my all-time favourite TM moments) but too many tasks that just didn't allow for that authentic TM chaos.

* so we could transition to a couple of series where the pre-corded stuff is affected and the studio is closer to normal. They will have definitely recorded the S12 tasks already if it's going out in September, but I'm guessing they've already started s13 too based on s11 being recorded just before Covid struck.

I know one shouldn't put to much weight behind the imdb userbase, but it's interesting to see how people rate the episodes over time:

https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/taskmaster-ratings-57614/

I expect there's some recency-bias but the masses seem to think the one just gone broke a run of three weaker series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I know one shouldn't put to much weight behind the imdb userbase, but it's interesting to see how people rate the episodes over time:

https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/taskmaster-ratings-57614/

I expect there's some recency-bias but the masses seem to think the one just gone broke a run of three weaker series.

That tracks for me. Series 7 was the last really good one and the ones since then had some great moments/contestants surrounded by significantly weaker ones. Series 11 is definitely the most consistently good and funny the show has been in a while, even if it's not quite as great as 7 was.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Partridge, you wanke--!"

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just finished Line of Duty and It's a Sin. The former is like a video game where you'll play hours and hours of it and then the faults become apparent and you wonder why you even enjoyed it in the first place. The latter though is fantastic. I knew what I was going to get from a short drama about the London gay scene in the 80s, but it massively surpassed my expectations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Yeah, It's A Sin was fantastic. I still think about that ending months later.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Stare-Out posted:

"Partridge, you wanke--!"

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far.

"Under Pressure! That's twelve!" took me totally off guard.

Putting Alan on basically the One Show was an absolute gold concept, and I'm glad it's as perfect as I'd hoped.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Under Pressure! That's twelve!" took me totally off guard.

Putting Alan on basically the One Show was an absolute gold concept, and I'm glad it's as perfect as I'd hoped.

https://i.imgur.com/UuilMSZ.mp4

I agree with you, I've just been dying to use that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had a chance to show a friend Taskmaster the other day, but kind of blew it. I picked a random episode from a season I generally remember liking, however it wasn't one of the best to show off the strengths of the show. Their main comment was to note how weird it was why and when the audience chose to applaud for people, which then became something hard to unhear.

In the future, what would be the one most Taskmastery Taskmaster episode with lots of lateral thinking solutions and interesting tasks?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Had a chance to show a friend Taskmaster the other day, but kind of blew it. I picked a random episode from a season I generally remember liking, however it wasn't one of the best to show off the strengths of the show. Their main comment was to note how weird it was why and when the audience chose to applaud for people, which then became something hard to unhear.

In the future, what would be the one most Taskmastery Taskmaster episode with lots of lateral thinking solutions and interesting tasks?

The Rhod Gilbert one (series 7) with the tying up and the boiler suits. Can't remember which episode but it almost reduced me to tears at the time.

The computer games one and the lift disguise one from the same series are both good as well.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

As always the answer is to not overcomplicate things and just start with the first one. If the melon task (literal first task) doesn't get them nothing will.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, the first episode is really strong.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Just want to shout out We are Lady Parts on C4/All4 which is pretty fun and sweet. I think the best way of describing it is 'better than you'd expect'.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

reality_groove posted:

Just want to shout out We are Lady Parts on C4/All4 which is pretty fun and sweet. I think the best way of describing it is 'better than you'd expect'.

Channel 4 have a problem where their ads make everything look like utter shite, regardless of whether they are good or not, so it's impossible to tell if it's worth watching things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If only we had a thread we can talk about such things in between Task Master.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

not a bot posted:

The thing that really sucks about Taskmaster 10 is that the contestants don't interact with each other properly.
So each and every task is Greg reading his notes to them about what happened. PRETTY MUCH every other season doesn't end up like that but it's really loving stark in season 10 and I think that's why it feels strange.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Enjoyed first episode of We Are Lady Parts, although I wasn't the biggest fan of having a voiceover, maybe it'll grow on me.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Weird specific question this, but we’ve been watching Motherland on iPlayer - was turned off because of the potential Glinner influence but Sharon Horgan as a writer and recommendations from friends convinced me to try it and it’s very funny.

However, its presented in a crazy way: iplayer has Series 1:1-6, Series 2:1-6, Series 3:1-5. However, there are actually two more episodes than this. One was the pilot, released before episode 1, which is on Netflix but not on iPlayer for some reason. Then, there is the Christmas special.

It was, apparently, shown between Seasons 2 and 3, but there is no evidence of it on any streaming service or indeed anywhere online other than the trailer for it & a broadcast date. Why the hell is this very short series being treated in such a weird way? And does anyone know where to see the Christmas special?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WALP

half the voice over could've been dropped with nothing lost. and all the flashbacks. they. really didn't trust the audience to pay any attention at all.
and wow does this look cheap.

but there's really well judged humour in this. relatable characters and situations make comedies work. they've pretty much nailed that core of the show.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 25, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SeanBeansShako posted:

If only we had a thread we can talk about such things in between Task Master.

Weren't we talking about making a thread for Task Master with a watch along starting in season 3 once Season 11 ends, since the podcast would be going along with that season? I can write up an OP for it in the next day or two if there's interest.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Stumiester posted:

Weird specific question this, but we’ve been watching Motherland on iPlayer - was turned off because of the potential Glinner influence but Sharon Horgan as a writer and recommendations from friends convinced me to try it and it’s very funny.

However, its presented in a crazy way: iplayer has Series 1:1-6, Series 2:1-6, Series 3:1-5. However, there are actually two more episodes than this. One was the pilot, released before episode 1, which is on Netflix but not on iPlayer for some reason. Then, there is the Christmas special.

It was, apparently, shown between Seasons 2 and 3, but there is no evidence of it on any streaming service or indeed anywhere online other than the trailer for it & a broadcast date. Why the hell is this very short series being treated in such a weird way? And does anyone know where to see the Christmas special?

I have no idea why it’s not up still but it was absolutely on iPlayer last Christmas. Sometimes specials are listed under their previous series as an extra episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tsob posted:

Weren't we talking about making a thread for Task Master with a watch along starting in season 3 once Season 11 ends, since the podcast would be going along with that season? I can write up an OP for it in the next day or two if there's interest.

I'm watching through season 2 at the moment, and would love to discuss how much it seems like Joe Wilkinson is having the worst time and not enjoying himself at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Stumiester posted:

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/motherland is always the best place to find that info.

Usually it's because there's something in that episode that they couldn't get rights for easily. Occasionally they change that thing, other times they just leave off the episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm watching through season 2 at the moment, and would love to discuss how much it seems like Joe Wilkinson is having the worst time and not enjoying himself at all.

He always comes across that way. I used to enjoy his appearances on stuff but these days he just comes across like he's above it all, and thinks he's secretly the smartest person in the room. I think what happened with Gossipmongers really soured me on him.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Taear posted:

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/motherland is always the best place to find that info.

Usually it's because there's something in that episode that they couldn't get rights for easily. Occasionally they change that thing, other times they just leave off the episode.

Thanks for this, hadn’t seen this site before. Unfortunately, it seems to confirm that the Christmas special has been stripped from every service. I understand there might be problems, but I’ve certainly never come across this situation when there is absolutely no mention of something released 6 months ago. How odd!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

stev posted:

He always comes across that way. I used to enjoy his appearances on stuff but these days he just comes across like he's above it all, and thinks he's secretly the smartest person in the room. I think what happened with Gossipmongers really soured me on him.

Yeah that was poo poo.

For those who don't know Gossipmongers was a podcast with Joe Wilkinson, David Earl and Poppy Holstead. Poppy was apparently instrumental in getting it made. It ran for 3 seasons and then Poppy learned - via Joe and David's agent - that she was being let go due to her 'inexperience' and that the opportunity of doing the show "came too soon".

Not only that but there was never a mention of her from them and all of her previous episodes were removed.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I really want to know what happened with that, they just deleted all the episodes and removed her from the podcast logo. They don't address the disapearing third host in the show at all and actively block anyone asking about them on social media?

Joe Wilkinson is just a poor mans Tim Key imo.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Tim Key wouldn't have been as good in Him & Her though.

That sucks about Gossipmongers. What a dick move.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Phillby posted:

I really want to know what happened with that, they just deleted all the episodes and removed her from the podcast logo. They don't address the disapearing third host in the show at all and actively block anyone asking about them on social media?

Joe Wilkinson is just a poor mans Tim Key imo.

The best part is that the show suddenly became awful the moment she left. It also coincided with Covid and switching to Skype to record but it became clear very quickly who was bringing the talent and organizing everything.

I heard from somewhere that it was the podcast network who was really pushing to get rid of Poppy because she had ideas above her station, and that Joe and David simply chose not to rock the boat and stayed quiet about it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Lady Parts ep 2: improvement on the narration front compared to the pilot, the characters got to bounce off one-another a bit, and the band actually got to play a song. In fact, that last point makes the first episode seem worse in retrospect - if all-female Muslim punk band songs are the selling point of your show, structuring the first episode so you can't include one seems an unforced error! Still, it's shaping up now.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

stev posted:

The best part is that the show suddenly became awful the moment she left. It also coincided with Covid and switching to Skype to record but it became clear very quickly who was bringing the talent and organizing everything.

I heard from somewhere that it was the podcast network who was really pushing to get rid of Poppy because she had ideas above her station, and that Joe and David simply chose not to rock the boat and stayed quiet about it.

This gossip is pretty compelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

The first episode of season 3 will presumably have it's podcast episode go up tomorrow, so I'll put a thread up for it tomorrow to coincide with the podcast episode. Given that the podcast will be going through season 3 and 4 before season 12 airs (maybe more, not sure) my intention is to have the watch along start with season 3 and go with what the podcast does, including using it's air day as the day when new episodes "air" and tell people they can just watch and discuss seasons 1, 2, 10 and 11 freely if they want more content, since they can't spoil anything as such in a show like Taskmaster and having something to watch in between prescribed episodes will probably keep conversation ticking along.