Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

Please don't bring that deck back :gonk:

it's just a CoBru deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Clashing was a cool ability. I would like they to try and bring it back but the best part of it was the Scry 1 and now that's evergreen.

I feel like losing to an opponent's topdeck is feelbads enough without a mechanic that requires them to rub it in your face. Same with miracles

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CoBru Kai

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
CoBru Commander

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I look forward to playing my COld BRUw at FNM this week.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

CoBru Commander

40 life points = 1 pitcher of beer.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I read that Lantern players are trying it because it helps your ensnaring bridges.

I knew I had edits to make before my next pptq.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No one talking about draft leagues?. I finally might start playing online...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This seems pretty not ideal. And the main reason I don't draft is the time commitment.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That sounds awful. Why would I want to play against people with whom I have no idea what is in their decks?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It'd be nice if there was the option to play beyond 3 matches.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Horrible? Magic thread still bad today I see. The sanctity of pods is like my tenth highest concern to enjoy limited. Also here keeping single elimination 8-4s for that purpose anyway.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It kinda reads more like they didn't know how to implement single elimination in a league, but yeah, the end result is the same.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I read that Lantern players are trying it because it helps your ensnaring bridges.

It seems like it does everything Lantern wants it to do - kills a creature, gains some life, removes an artifact kill spell.

On the other hand, all their garbage cards cost 1 anyways so I don't think they usually have a difficult time dumping their hand by turn 3-4.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I had this happen at a SCG Regionals recently, and am headed to GP Indy this weekend, so I want to be sure I understand this correctly. If an opponent says "go" or the equivalent at the end of their turn, and then quickly says "oh wait" and wants to go back, is that allowed if I've done nothing? I'm inclined to say at competitive REL that I can say "nah" but that seems pretty jerky. But I also prefer to win as often as possible, so if saying "go" is a shortcut to end of turn that's final, something similar to "go to attacks?", then I'm not really going to want to allow it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I had this happen at a SCG Regionals recently, and am headed to GP Indy this weekend, so I want to be sure I understand this correctly. If an opponent says "go" or the equivalent at the end of their turn, and then quickly says "oh wait" and wants to go back, is that allowed if I've done nothing? I'm inclined to say at competitive REL that I can say "nah" but that seems pretty jerky. But I also prefer to win as often as possible, so if saying "go" is a shortcut to end of turn that's final, something similar to "go to attacks?", then I'm not really going to want to allow it.

If they say "go" they are passing the turn. Though I tend to allow them to go back if they say it right away before I've untapped or drawn a card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's a good question. If you're following the rules to the letter if they say go they've passed priority to you in their end step, period. I would say if it's been less than a second to give it to them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ShaneB posted:

A judge/store owner answered this question for me between rounds at a PPTQ. He said that 15 years ago when the rules were way more strictly enforced it would have been no take backs but today the goal is to avoid punishing honest mistakes, especially if they don't give information or impact the game state.

Technically you passed and it's too late but:

:corsair:"These days the strongest personality, including the judge, in a judge call wins it.":corsair:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

If you have already drawn your card that is enough for most judges.

ThePeavstenator posted:

:corsair:"These days the strongest personality, including the judge, in a judge call wins it.":corsair:

Pretty much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

In the example I gave above I had attacked in an earlier turn without looking at the board state accurately at all and lost an important creature, and wasn't inclined to lose more ground. However, I think the spirit of the game as a game and not some kind of ground war in asia, makes it fair to give some lenience. It probably is fuzzy depending on a lot of factors. Once I start doing anything on my side of the board I'd say bets are off, though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Magic not having strict guidelines for rules enforcement seems kinda dumb to me as a guy who has officiated other stuff. I get not wanting to punish honest mistakes but if you don't have it in the rules that every time you commit some infraction a consistent penalty happens, then you get the weird cheats you hear about from up-and-coming players who turn out to be frauds. If an infraction doesn't have a real downside, cheaters will keep trying to push it and people making honest mistakes won't learn how to not make those mistakes.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

They should leave Regular REL the way it is though because otherwise I'll have to stop bringing roman candles to FNM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't play at anything more competitive than FNM level and I'll generally let someone take back something if the board state or access to information hasn't changed since then. I'll even let newer players take back entire combat steps etc if they're making an obvious misplay into on-board interactions due to not being familiar with cards or complicated interactions. I'm more concerned about having good games and teaching new players than I am about relentlessly grinding out wins, and a game that I won because someone punted isn't much more satisfying than beating someone who gets stuck on two lands.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JESUS loving CHRIST

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

the pied piper of stoners and burnouts

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
pretty sure that seems both fake and gay

also I've always wondered what kind of person unironically likes travis woo's content and here we are.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ugh

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

:confuseddoge.jpg:

e: What color are these people? I've been passed two Oren-Riefs which are bombs in base-Green decks, maybe they're red and there were better cards than the Rift, but I wheeled a Kor Sanctifiers and there's the best blue common in the pack...

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 24, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i can see someone raredrafting a fetch but how the gently caress do nighthawk AND umara raptor AND torch slinger make it to pick 4

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zoness posted:

i can see someone raredrafting a fetch but how the gently caress do nighthawk AND umara raptor AND torch slinger make it to pick 4

Fetch, foil Fetch, and then....I don't know. Nighthawk is vastly better than everything else possible. Maybe someone took two white cards and then took a Journey over the Nighthawk to stay on color?

MTGO drafters

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Why'd you cross your name out?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why did you take rift and mosquito so early? Were the packs weak?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Why did you take rift and mosquito so early? Were the packs weak?

Yeah, which is why getting the Nighthawk so late was so shocking.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Voyager I posted:

I don't play at anything more competitive than FNM level and I'll generally let someone take back something if the board state or access to information hasn't changed since then. I'll even let newer players take back entire combat steps etc if they're making an obvious misplay into on-board interactions due to not being familiar with cards or complicated interactions. I'm more concerned about having good games and teaching new players than I am about relentlessly grinding out wins, and a game that I won because someone punted isn't much more satisfying than beating someone who gets stuck on two lands.

This is cool and good, but I was specifically asking about comp REL+ type environments on my end. Regular REL is about having fun, and hopefully mutually improving at the game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

This is cool and good, but I was specifically asking about comp REL+ type environments on my end. Regular REL is about having fun, and hopefully mutually improving at the game.

Except when you are trying to get byes to a GP. UGH.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Except when you are trying to get byes to a GP. UGH.

Are GPTs regular REL?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Are GPTs regular REL?

They can be and it seems often are now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A friend is interested in my Judge promo Temporal Manipulation, and he's offering 25 euros. That seems like a reasonable price on Magiccardmarket (lowest now is 27, when we checked it was 25). I happened to check MTGStocks as well, and it's apparently 65 dollars? :psyduck:

Is there an explanation for that? Obviously there'd be fluctuation between continents, but that's double the price, that seems a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Serperoth posted:

A friend is interested in my Judge promo Temporal Manipulation, and he's offering 25 euros. That seems like a reasonable price on Magiccardmarket (lowest now is 27, when we checked it was 25). I happened to check MTGStocks as well, and it's apparently 65 dollars? :psyduck:

Is there an explanation for that? Obviously there'd be fluctuation between continents, but that's double the price, that seems a lot.

I'd imagine it's a matter of supply, demand, and market manipulation.

The majority of the mtgfinance crew is US based and using tcgplayer, and due to shipping costs there is very little cross continental movement for non-power items.

I don't know poo poo about the european market but I would imagine it is very possible that Commander is not as popular over there as it is over here, too, and since it's an exclusively Commander card, you'd have legitimate market forces at work.

• Locked thread