Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

grahm posted:

AFAIK if the battery on the Volt dies the car stops working — ie you can't just use the gas engine, you need a functioning battery. So I think it depends on if $5K feels like a worthwhile risk to you.

That's what I'm trying to find out... I don't know the reliability on them and I'm asking for info...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I disliked the poor crash performance on the small overlap on the gen1.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Nissan/leaf-4-door-hatchback/2014

They never tested the gen2, so my suspicion is they didn't update it.

The original Ioniq somehow gets a 'G' for small overlap.

It's still a really good budget commute option if you don't mind driving around in something that feels similar to a plastic trash can inside.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Deteriorata posted:

Not much at the moment, but the Chinese government has had plans to flood the US market with cheap Chinese cars. They'd be sold substantially below cost due to heavy government subsidies.

He's acting preemptively to head that off.

You source to defend your statement was bad. And frankly in places that ARE getting BYD and other chinese brands they have not been dumped for below cost. Yes they are cheaper but not stupidly so so the exec in question is flat out lying

The main reason why they are cheaper is the legacy manufacturers abandoned the lower end of the market. These Chinese cars are slipping in at the price points the legacy manufacturers very VERY recently abandoned. We're not getting these cars at 15,000AUD, we're getting them at at say 30K while the legacy moved to 40K. Also.... the Chinese cars quality and tech offerings have improved greatly in 5 years - BYD especially is not at all selling their cheap crap to the West. In fact BYD / Geely / MG are starting to be able to compete on being *better*

In fact let me introduce this thread to a car a work collegue got - the MG4 X-Power

https://www.carsguide.com.au/ev/mg-mg4-xpower-91447

This is basically what you can get for WRX money here and it's 20K cheaper than a Tesla - it is an absolute hand grenade of a car and I very much disagree it's not an engaging drive, it's hilariously OMG what the HELL fast.

That's actually US manufacturers are actually deathly afraid of Chinese cars, they arent crap and there's actual good cars, not just rows of dipshit CUV/SUV's and godawful dualcabs. Imean China certainly has those too but they are doing sedans and wagons in volume as well

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 10, 2024

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

The Volvo EX30 is made in China so this basically snuffs out one of the last remaining options for affordable EVs

Thanks to higher-than-predicted demand the EX30 is going to be built in Ghent, Belgium as well. From 2025 iirc.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

actual good cars, not lust rows of dipshit CUV/SUV's and godawful dualcabs.

The list of US market EVs that aren't CUV/SUV is disappointingly small. It's one of the reasons I bought a leaf before it is discontinued.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

More on the '12 Volt -- if I hook up a scanner and run the Voltage app, does the individual cell readings provide an real information, or is it just numbers?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

drk posted:

The list of US market EVs that aren't CUV/SUV is disappointingly small. It's one of the reasons I bought a leaf before it is discontinued.

Which of these is a CUV?

- Nissan Leaf Ground Clearance: 5.9"
- Ford Mach E Ground Clearance: 5.7"

Which of these is a hatchback?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Which of these is a CUV?

- Nissan Leaf Ground Clearance: 5.9"
- Ford Mach E Ground Clearance: 5.7"

Which of these is a hatchback?

The bigger one?

Mach E: 186x74x64

Leaf: 176x70x62

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Stupid question but looking for answers from Tesla owners so posting here

My girlfriend got a Model Y a couple of weeks ago and we just got a gnarly crack in the windshield from a flying rock (driving past a guy with a weedwhacker).

Her insurance will cover Safelite but we'd have to pay $700 additional out of pocket to do the job at Tesla. I've heard lots of mixed experiences with Safelite - that they use Tesla glass anyways (or at least used to in 2019), that they gently caress up sealing and weatherproofing, and that you have to take the car back to Tesla anyways for camera calibration afterwards.

Any recommendations here? Worth going to Tesla? She bought the car with 6k miles miles on it and it's still under Tesla warranty anyways. If the repair was botched I'm guessing Tesla and Safelite would dispute who was at fault and she'd be caught in the middle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drk posted:

The bigger one?

Mach E: 186x74x64

Leaf: 176x70x62

Lmao, but what about the one irrelevant number posted out of context?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
5.9" ground clearance is better than my Impreza though!!! (It's not the Crosstrek)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My Bolt has 5.4" of ground clearance, which I'm told is a perfectly average amount.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elviscat posted:

My Bolt has 5.4" of ground clearance, which I'm told is a perfectly average amount.

very concerning

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

My girlfriend got a Model Y a couple of weeks ago and we just got a gnarly crack in the windshield from a flying rock (driving past a guy with a weedwhacker).

Her insurance will cover Safelite but we'd have to pay $700 additional out of pocket to do the job at Tesla. I've heard lots of mixed experiences with Safelite - that they use Tesla glass anyways (or at least used to in 2019), that they gently caress up sealing and weatherproofing, and that you have to take the car back to Tesla anyways for camera calibration afterwards.

Any recommendations here? Worth going to Tesla? She bought the car with 6k miles miles on it and it's still under Tesla warranty anyways. If the repair was botched I'm guessing Tesla and Safelite would dispute who was at fault and she'd be caught in the middle.

Every safelite or similar windshield service I've had done was done incorrectly. I'd take that poo poo to the dealer regardless of make.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

blk posted:

One note, you can run the camera calibration routine yourself, there is nothing special Tesla does. I believe the option is in the service settings screen, where wheels/tires/tpms/wipers/etc is, if you drive on well marked roads it can be done in as little as like 15 minutes.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Elviscat posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Electric Vehicles mk3: my perfectly average ground clearance

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MrLogan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Electric Vehicles mk3: 5.4" is a perfectly average amount

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You source to defend your statement was bad. And frankly in places that ARE getting BYD and other chinese brands they have not been dumped for below cost. Yes they are cheaper but not stupidly so so the exec in question is flat out lying

The main reason why they are cheaper is the legacy manufacturers abandoned the lower end of the market. These Chinese cars are slipping in at the price points the legacy manufacturers very VERY recently abandoned. We're not getting these cars at 15,000AUD, we're getting them at at say 30K while the legacy moved to 40K. Also.... the Chinese cars quality and tech offerings have improved greatly in 5 years - BYD especially is not at all selling their cheap crap to the West. In fact BYD / Geely / MG are starting to be able to compete on being *better*

In fact let me introduce this thread to a car a work collegue got - the MG4 X-Power

https://www.carsguide.com.au/ev/mg-mg4-xpower-91447

This is basically what you can get for WRX money here and it's 20K cheaper than a Tesla - it is an absolute hand grenade of a car and I very much disagree it's not an engaging drive, it's hilariously OMG what the HELL fast.

That's actually US manufacturers are actually deathly afraid of Chinese cars, they arent crap and there's actual good cars, not just rows of dipshit CUV/SUV's and godawful dualcabs. Imean China certainly has those too but they are doing sedans and wagons in volume as well

As someone living in a market where Chinese manufacturers are making big inroads, I totally agree with your post.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elviscat posted:

Hey my Volvo has the same :hfive:

Actually 138mm because :sweden:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

priznat posted:

Are any of the Teslas made in the Shanghai plant brought to North America? I thought I heard they were.

Canadian market is being supplied by Shanghai for model 3 and Y production, apparently it can switch around a bit though(7 seater Ys are Fremont built iirc). I have a Shanghai made model Y and when I went to the local Tesla authorized body shop and asked if they noticed a difference they said the Chinese cars were much, much better built.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Canadian market is being supplied by Shanghai for model 3 and Y production, apparently it can switch around a bit though(7 seater Ys are Fremont built iirc). I have a Shanghai made model Y and when I went to the local Tesla authorized body shop and asked if they noticed a difference they said the Chinese cars were much, much better built.

Oh interesting. I hope the tariff also means we see EX30s in Canada sooner. I’m looking forward to seeing them around.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MG4 Xpower looks to run 12.1 @ 112 mph trap speed, not bad. Certainly slaps the poo poo out of the Ford Mustang Mach-E 4X Gran Turismo Performance Edition I had.

Orty
May 14, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean the big thing about the leaf is it's still basically a 2010 EV, except it's now 2024

I missed the bulk of the Nissan EV chat but after roughly 16 months with the Ariya this holds true for it as well. If it came out on time maybe it wouldn't feel as bad, but the 2? year delay didn't help. Lot of weird design choices like taking One Pedal away (doesn't come to a complete stop) or not even being able to select a % to stop charging.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I really liked the Leaf's straightforward charge and climate timers, set it for an hour after leave for work time and it was 80% and warm all the time.

The Bolt's charge timer UI is bad just an unmitigated pain in the balls for no reason, the straightforward level of charge slider is nice, and that's all I need for charging at work, thankfully.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Freezer posted:

As someone living in a market where Chinese manufacturers are making big inroads, I totally agree with your post.

Same. The Chinese are doing what the Koreans did to the Japanese twenty years ago, and what the Japanese did to everyone else before that. Us tariffs are straight protectionism, which is fine if that’s what you want, but consumers bare the cost.

The interesting thing this time is that the Chinese are killing the market because they went all in on EVs whereas all the legacy makers hesitated. It is the Tesla argument turned against itself: elong used to argue that the legacy automakers could not compete with tesla because they had too great an investment in ices. It was true, but it turns out that the Chinese have taken the argument and are running it to its full effect and outdoing tesla at the same time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Beffer posted:

Same. The Chinese are doing what the Koreans did to the Japanese twenty years ago, and what the Japanese did to everyone else before that. Us tariffs are straight protectionism, which is fine if that’s what you want, but consumers bare the cost.

The interesting thing this time is that the Chinese are killing the market because they went all in on EVs whereas all the legacy makers hesitated. It is the Tesla argument turned against itself: elong used to argue that the legacy automakers could not compete with tesla because they had too great an investment in ices. It was true, but it turns out that the Chinese have taken the argument and are running it to its full effect and outdoing tesla at the same time.

Basically the whole US transition became massive dumb political argument on both sides completely unmoored from the fact that the US is going to make a transition to EVs.

You just can't have a rational conversation about it in the US until there are enough EVs in place where it isn't a political issue and that is happening, just slower that people hoped and than needs to happen.

My father-in-law is a Trump voting, Fox News watching, massive gas guzzling $60k truck driver with absolutely no need for a massive truck that thinks our Mach-E is the coolest thing in the world once he actual drove it and we showed him actual numbers on how much it costs to charge.

He's never going to buy one but he realized that Fox News was lying to him about us being brainwashed liberal that got tricked into buying a horrible useless car that wasn't fun to drive and cost $20 a day to charge.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s apparently a killer lease deal for Polestar 2s now. $299 a month. Being a Costco member will shave $2k off your fees. The 2024 model has a longer range (320 miles for the single motor, 270 for the dual) and uses a new drivetrain. Booked myself a test drive tomorrow.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vegetable posted:

There’s apparently a killer lease deal for Polestar 2s now. $299 a month. Being a Costco member will shave $2k off your fees. The 2024 model has a longer range (320 miles for the single motor, 270 for the dual) and uses a new drivetrain. Booked myself a test drive tomorrow.

I'm about to go to bed so my brain isn't fully here at the moment but:

quote:

Monthly lease payment of $299 per month for 27 months is based on an adjusted capitalized cost of $44,695 (MSRP of $56,700 including destination and delivery fee of $1,400, plus acquisition fee of $995, less $3,000 capitalized cost reduction and additional $10,000 Polestar Clean Vehicle Incentive)

Yeah, that seems like a horrible deal unless you are assuming your car is going to be worth WAY less than you paid for it. I have run the numbers on my Mach-E many, many times, but once you factor in the tax credit and the market situation at the time of purchase and the residual value curve , the EV secondary market seems remarkably robust across the board.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I'm about to go to bed so my brain isn't fully here at the moment but:

Yeah, that seems like a horrible deal unless you are assuming your car is going to be worth WAY less than you paid for it. I have run the numbers on my Mach-E many, many times, but once you factor in the tax credit and the market situation at the time of purchase and the residual value curve , the EV secondary market seems remarkably robust across the board.

Looking forward to the math that shows 299 a month is a horrible deal but 30 paying thousands of dollars over MSRP for a car that depreciated 20 grand in a year was a good deal.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This is pretty crazy, I thought my 1.85% interest rate was crazy.

I could trade my '21 MYP in and almost cut my payment in half.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Looking forward to the math that shows 299 a month is a horrible deal but 30 paying thousands of dollars over MSRP for a car that depreciated 20 grand in a year was a good deal.

Cavana paid me $18,000 in 2022 for my almost 8 year old i3, I paid MSRP $50,000 for my Mach-E, claimed a tax credit of $7,500 and Ford reduced the price of the Mach-E mostly by increasing the weight, removing the glass roof and BlueCruise for previous model years. Also, interest rates at the time that I bought it.

I'm pretty sure that I did fine in this transaction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

The EV secondary market seems remarkably robust across the board.

Are you daft

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Just took my RWD model 3 highland for its first longish roadtrip of 100 miles. How am I doing efficiency gang?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I paid MSRP $50,000 for my Mach-E

Really? So you're just going to lie?

quote:

I'm pretty sure that I did fine in this transaction.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 11, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Just took my RWD model 3 highland for its first longish roadtrip of 100 miles. How am I doing efficiency gang?

Good, especially considering the average speed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drhankmccoyphd posted:

A Mach e would use 50-75% more electricity to make the same trip based on my experience.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We just got a 2023 VW ID4. In our garage we have a conveniently placed NEMA L6-20R receptacle (250v, 20A), while the L2 charger the ID4 came with is a NEMA 14-50R.

Is this adapter a reasonable option to get onto the L2 charger? I know the outlet isn't 40 amps which would be ideal, but I think would still let us get a decent charge overnight? Are there any concerns with this safety wise? Or do we need to get an electrician out and run a full new outlet?

https://acworks.com/products/evl620ss-ev-charging-adapter-l6-20p-to-tesla?_pos=30&_sid=f9cd3e6fa&_ss=r

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

meatpimp posted:

That's what I'm trying to find out... I don't know the reliability on them and I'm asking for info...

I just went through the same conundrum of what EV or PHEV to buy. The volts were really appealing, but there were a few things that stopped me from buying one.

The first gen requires premium gas; which, kills a lot of the savings.

The second gen apparently has an unreliable battery ECM. To the point where there are a lot of anecdotal posts on various forums/reddit about the already replaced BECM dying.

For a 100mile drive, the gas consumption looks like this after a full charge:

1.315 gallon in the gen2 volt regular @ 3.49 = $4.57
1.79 gallons in the gen1 with premium @ 4.09 = $7.28
2.10 gallon in cmax with regular @ 3.49 = $7.329

So, I said gently caress it and bough the cheapest Bolt available. $13.1k before TTL. 65k on the car, but it has a 2 year old battery that only has 30k miles on it. Incredibly happy with the purchase.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Spikes32 posted:

We just got a 2023 VW ID4. In our garage we have a conveniently placed NEMA L6-20R receptacle (250v, 20A), while the L2 charger the ID4 came with is a NEMA 14-50R.

Is this adapter a reasonable option to get onto the L2 charger? I know the outlet isn't 40 amps which would be ideal, but I think would still let us get a decent charge overnight? Are there any concerns with this safety wise? Or do we need to get an electrician out and run a full new outlet?

https://acworks.com/products/evl620ss-ev-charging-adapter-l6-20p-to-tesla?_pos=30&_sid=f9cd3e6fa&_ss=r

No, do not do this! Bad idea!

Reasoning: The 14-50 plug has some resistors in it that tell the EVSE how many amps is safe...For a 14-50 outlet (80% of 50 amps = 40 amps). The L6-20R is not a 14-50 outlet, its maximum safe current is 80% of 20 amps or 16 amps. You plug an EVSE into that adapter, it has no idea it is plugged into a 20 amp outlet and not a 50 amp outlet, it attempts to draw 40 or 32 amps, most likely your breaker trips, but if your breaker is old/worn/defective and fails, then the outlet, the adapter, and the wires in your wall catch fire and your house burns down. You can probably manually change the maximum current, but what if the EVSE forgets, what if the vehicle forgets, what if you forget? Either get the correct L6-20R plug for your EVSE, or call an electrician and have them install a proper 14-50 outlet with the correct wire gauge to match.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

I agree with Indiana_Krom. Here's what you should do instead:

1. Replace the outlet with a 6-20R. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, an electrician can probably do it in about 5 minutes.
  2. Buy a 6-20R Gen2 adapter: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters. This signals to the EVSE that it's on a 20A circuit, and the EVSE will not try to draw too many amps.
  3. Breathe easy knowing that when your garage burns down, it probably won't be because of this.

e: oh, I see, you have a VW EVSE. I wonder why you posted a photo of a Tesla Gen2 adapter.

Okay so step 1.5 is to buy a Tesla Gen2 EVSE. And then a TeslaTap, I guess.

ee: You know what, OP, I'm going to recommend you buy a hardwired EVSE and not screw around with adapters. The installation should be pretty staightforward since you already have the outlet wired up, it'll just be a matter of replacing the outlet with a wall-mounted EVSE, and then telling the EVSE the size of your circuit breaker.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 11, 2024