Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

terre packet posted:

Any ideas on a better way to differentiate my salt & sugar bowls than my ghetto-rear end labels? Preferably something on the bowls themselves in case of a lid mix-up. :ohdear:

Don't keep salt in a bowl. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Brown sugar it is, thanks!

(I really like the bowls and use measuring spoons because I'm counting calories. Whee!)

e: vvv haha

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Don't keep salt in a bowl. :confused:

Excuse me I need to shovel spoonfuls of salt onto my food and this is the most efficient way.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

terre packet posted:

(I really like the bowls and use measuring spoons because I'm counting calories. Whee!)

How many calories are there in salt?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Lemon posted:

How many calories are there in salt?

There are zero I think! It's nice to use measuring spoons to get consistent seasoning for dishes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've never seen salt kept in a bowl. That's really bizarre.

I measure salt sometimes too, but I just keep it in a shaker with a wide mouth side. I imagine this is how most people do it.

Kurtofan posted:

Paint one of them.

Though this is a good solution!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

There are zero I think! It's nice to use measuring spoons to get consistent seasoning for dishes.

If you're going to keep it in a bowl use kosher salt. It looks different.

Also you should always season to taste not by measurement.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

terre packet posted:

e: vvv haha

Your brown sugar will turn into a rock in a few days.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will also taste a lot different. Don't do that.

At the very least, label the container itself and not the lid.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Salt was traditionally kept in small bowls with a spoon to serve, and stored in a kitchen in a jar or a salt pig.

photomikey posted:

Your brown sugar will turn into a rock in a few days.

Probably, but you can pretty well avoid it if you live in a non-humid environment, and store it somewhere cool and dry like a cupboard.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

I've never seen salt kept in a bowl. That's really bizarre.

It's pretty common for cooking, although usually the mouth would be wide enough that you could reach in and grab a pinch of salt.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Kurtofan posted:

Paint one of them.

Seconding this as a really good idea. My recommended method:

- Empty the bowls
- Use some blue painter's tape to mask off a ring along the rim of the jar
- Use nail polish; it's safe to be near food, easily removed if you gently caress up or want to change colors, and available in small quantities (which is all you need).

I'd recommend neutral colors like black and grey, but if there's something else you like that matches your decor, there's no shortage of selection.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Why are you drinking poo poo?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

smackfu posted:

It's pretty common for cooking, although usually the mouth would be wide enough that you could reach in and grab a pinch of salt.

This was the first and easiest thing I learned from Good Eats

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Mortley posted:

Just a unique, black/white image on a normal 6-sided die.

Any thoughts on where to buy custom dice as described above?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
My sister is dying and I want to give her some good memories before she's gone. What do I do?

She likes music.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

My sister is dying and I want to give her some good memories before she's gone. What do I do?

She likes music.

That's not a stupid question and it's not small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_H11F7WDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJjUbMrt8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCbLJxcVCog

Are mournful songs good for this kind of thing? I'm qq'ing a little thinking about your sister's impending death. Maybe positive upbeat songs are best.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQliRNdiV8o

Showing too much AFP love here but I'm kind of a downer but like listening to songs that are somehow both downers and make your soul feel a little better.

Really sorry about your sister.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 11, 2015

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Mortley posted:

Any thoughts on where to buy custom dice as described above?

Custom screen printed dice are showing up in search results with a minimum quantity in the tens of thousands, so getting a good job done in small quantity is something you're best off negotiating directly with a local screen printing shop.

If fairness of the dice isn't something someone is going to fret about, stickers would be a low cost option.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

She likes music.

"Music" is pretty general. What kind of music? I'm an opera buff so an amazing gift for me would be airfare and tickets to am opera at the Met in NYC. That probably would not be a good gift for most people, though, despite the fact that they probably like music too.

What are her favorite bands or musical genres? Does she play an instrument? Is she well enough to go out in public and do stuff or is she homebound / in the hospital?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Why is the 911 dispatcher so inefficient? They asked me to spell my last name before asking what was going on, I should have told them to send cops first and do the introductions later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What is this thing? I think it's a bit of a computer, but what's it for?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
It's a faceplate for an expansion port that isn't being used on a tower. Like, if you bought a PCI ethernet card or something, you'd take that out, and the new card would slot into the spot where it used to be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

It's a faceplate for an expansion port that isn't being used on a tower. Like, if you bought a PCI ethernet card or something, you'd take that out, and the new card would slot into the spot where it used to be.

That's what I thought, except I've never seen one with all those holes and hooks before. :confused:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Speed holes, makes your computer go faster.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

That's what I thought, except I've never seen one with all those holes and hooks before. :confused:

Looks like it's a "might as well" cable organization/routing thing.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm trying to remember a piece of art that was installed on a square in front of skyscraper which was hated by locals. I think it was literally a wall but I'm not sure where it exactly was

EDIT:

I found it. It was Tilted Arc by Richard Serra. It was just as easy as googling "hated pieces of public art"

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It's just a grossly misplaced rusty loving wall and they called it art? Goddamn the 80s really were the worst times.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
The artistic aspect of it was that it was loving inconvenient - it very much did "redefine the space," as Serra intended. Which is interesting: all of it's supporters are right in all of their arguments. It wouldn't work if moved, and it did advance sculpture as an art. John Cage's 4'33 made his audience unwitting subjects in his art; Tilted Arc made thousands of government employees unwilling subjects in his art.

Science has very clear guidelines regarding informed consent of study participants. Should art be held to the same standard?
:goonsay:

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

KnifeWrench posted:

If fairness of the dice isn't something someone is going to fret about, stickers would be a low cost option.

Great idea!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Gravity Pike posted:

The artistic aspect of it was that it was loving inconvenient - it very much did "redefine the space," as Serra intended. Which is interesting: all of it's supporters are right in all of their arguments. It wouldn't work if moved, and it did advance sculpture as an art. John Cage's 4'33 made his audience unwitting subjects in his art; Tilted Arc made thousands of government employees unwilling subjects in his art.

Science has very clear guidelines regarding informed consent of study participants. Should art be held to the same standard?
:goonsay:

I think it is was awesome. I'd never heard about this before. Thanks, thread!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What is the song in the background of this video. Currently going insane trying to recall it as I know the song.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7KeP/espn-heads-up-football

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

c0ldfuse posted:

What is the song in the background of this video. Currently going insane trying to recall it as I know the song.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7KeP/espn-heads-up-football

how to dress well - a power

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My wife and I and our two-year old son are going to be in Barcelona for four days in February, and we're wondering

1) given that relatively short period of time, what should we see? Not looking to pack 80 things into a short trip, but what should we definitely make a point to see? They don't have to be kid-friendly (ours is a pretty chill guy), but I suppose they can't be kid-unfriendly (I'd love to try it, but museums are probably not gonna happen).

and 2) where's a good area to stay? What landmark or section of the city would put us walking distance to most of what we'd like to see? We'd like to avoid cabs or public transport as much as we can, just because of the carseat situation.

and 3) does anyone with carseat-needing kids have any advice for a trip like this? Like how to get from the airport to our apartment - can we hire a cab and request a carseat? Should we simply bring our own?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Xandu posted:

how to dress well - a power

Thank you so much. You should see him live if you have a chance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jackpot posted:

My wife and I and our two-year old son are going to be in Barcelona for four days in February, and we're wondering

1) given that relatively short period of time, what should we see? Not looking to pack 80 things into a short trip, but what should we definitely make a point to see? They don't have to be kid-friendly (ours is a pretty chill guy), but I suppose they can't be kid-unfriendly (I'd love to try it, but museums are probably not gonna happen).

and 2) where's a good area to stay? What landmark or section of the city would put us walking distance to most of what we'd like to see? We'd like to avoid cabs or public transport as much as we can, just because of the carseat situation.

and 3) does anyone with carseat-needing kids have any advice for a trip like this? Like how to get from the airport to our apartment - can we hire a cab and request a carseat? Should we simply bring our own?

1) just look in a lonely planet and pick and choose some things. I thought the sagarada familia was very powerful, and The Palau Nacional was awesome, so I can recommend those. The rest of my trip was kind of characterized by absinthe and Dutch women so... Not kid friendly.

2) you might find some places on la Ronda (I think that's what it's called) that are good enough, but they're more rough than you may want to manage with an infant. Though the city is pretty spread out and I had to take the subway or a rented scooter most places.

3) No idea, sorry.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jackpot posted:

We'd like to avoid cabs or public transport as much as we can, just because of the carseat situation.

Your child can legally travel in a Taxi without a car seat in Spain. Same with public transport (bus, train). You can bring your own car seat (huge pain in the rear end) or roll the dice requesting one from the cab company (I have never tried it, I can't imagine it would go well). I usually stay in the center of wherever I want to be, and, like you, am only there for a few days. I usually take the train in from the airport, then travel by foot most places we want to go. When the occasion arises where taxi travel is required (or more convenient), we do so without further worry. It is my opinion that there is risk and reward in everything, you must do your best to mitigate the risk and accentuate the reward. IMHO raising your now two-year-old to be a world traveler outweighs the (IMHO again) minor risk of a car accident in a few short trips over a 4 day span.

I have recently become known as the anti-car seat guy in the parenting megathread (which... I'm not, but still)... They will have the opposite POV for you if you seek that out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How does one go about contacting a moderator without PMs? I recall hearing that they all have SA emails. If so, where is that info, and how reliable is that method?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

How does one go about contacting a moderator without PMs? I recall hearing that they all have SA emails. If so, where is that info, and how reliable is that method?

Username at something awful. Com

Use your noodle folks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawnie posted:

Username at something awful. Com

Use your noodle folks

Any idea about the second half of my question?

Also, that didn't work for Slo-Tek or Nostalgia4Infinity, got a nonexistent address message from the SA server.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Any idea about the second half of my question?

Also, that didn't work for Slo-Tek or Nostalgia4Infinity, got a nonexistent address message from the SA server.

I wonder if name changes don't also affect their email addresses. Considering radium, probably doesn't update, or update correctly. I would guess you can find their email in their profile, most likely.

I would go look but it's honestly been years since I regularly looked at the forums on a PC so