Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh yeah, Safari 16.4 for Big Sur and Monterey is also out.

It's been rolled into the Ventura 13.3 update.

RC build version of Ventura same as final release, 22E252

In related news, the 0.6.2 release version of Open Core Legacy Patcher is now out, and is compatible with the latest Ventura.

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/0.6.2

Some of the biggest fixes are DRM playback for AMD GCN GPUs, support for 3802-based Metal GPUs (Ivy Bridge, Haswell, nVidia Kepler), and Continuity Camera unlocking for all supported models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Can't seem to google this.

Got the orange dot in the top right indicating something's using the microphone. How do I tell what? Used to be a list at the top of the Control Center thing, but there's nothing there.

edit: this is not the dot that comes in over control center. I see that when I start specific apps. This is waaaaay over in the corner on the upper right, the very end past the clock even.

Yeah that's a UI glitch. If nothing is listed in control centre then the mic isn't actually in use. A sign out/in fixes it for me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tuyop posted:

Yeah that's a UI glitch. If nothing is listed in control centre then the mic isn't actually in use. A sign out/in fixes it for me.

Thank you. Start the timer on which comes first: Apple fixing it or it driving me crazy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AlternateAccount posted:

Thank you. Start the timer on which comes first: Apple fixing it or it driving me crazy.

i don't bet on finished races :P

Violator
May 15, 2003

Are Handbrake encodes much faster on Apple Silicon?

I’m currently running a 2018 MBP for reference.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: wrong thread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 28, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Are Handbrake encodes much faster on Apple Silicon?

I’m currently running a 2018 MBP for reference.

If you want, share a file and a preset and I’ll tell you how long my computer took to encode it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

tuyop posted:

If you want, share a file and a preset and I’ll tell you how long my computer took to encode it.

That'd be terrific.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Big_Buck_Bunny_4K.webm

Fast 1080p30
Everything default, except Video tab -> Video Encoder set to H.265 (x265).

My 2018 MBP took 21:08 at an average speed of 30.07 fps. It sat at 100% for a while while processing for some reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those speeds already sound a fair chunk nicer than my 2018 Mac Mini, lack of video hardware on it the main cause I’m sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

That'd be terrific.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Big_Buck_Bunny_4K.webm

Fast 1080p30
Everything default, except Video tab -> Video Encoder set to H.265 (x265).

My 2018 MBP took 21:08 at an average speed of 30.07 fps. It sat at 100% for a while while processing for some reason.

Completed in 11:13. Mine also hung around at 100% for a little while at the end.

My computer:

This is my background CPU usage when I'm not using a VM. I'm just on a zoom call with a virtual whiteboard open and maybe 20 tabs of reference materials and a PDF in Acrobat.

My settings

CPU at ~2 minutes and 4 minutes

So my fans did kick on pretty quick, which is what I'm trying to show in the CPU screenshot. No throttling appeared to be happening and I carried on my work as usual.

Sounds bad but this is the decibel reading with my phone right next to the laptop with the fans howling away (I actually can't hear them over the air purifier in the next room).

Violator
May 15, 2003

God drat, super impressed. Thanks for the effort and all of the data, I really appreciate it. I should rerun and check the decibels of my MBP fans because they are distractingly loud while handbrake runs.

I’ve actually emailed Mac hardware reviewers about this when the M-series was introduced asking them to do these kinds of tests. Run something that the reader can do as well as a direct point of comparison instead of synthetic benchmarks or esoteric noise reduction podcast software that few people run. My emails were ignored.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

God drat, super impressed. Thanks for the effort and all of the data, I really appreciate it. I should rerun and check the decibels of my MBP fans because they are distractingly loud while handbrake runs.

I’ve actually emailed Mac hardware reviewers about this when the M-series was introduced asking them to do these kinds of tests. Run something that the reader can do as well as a direct point of comparison instead of synthetic benchmarks or esoteric noise reduction podcast software that few people run. My emails were ignored.
No problem! :)

And yeah I hear you. The wirecutter used to be like that! But money, I guess.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

9 minute encode on my M2 Pro, fans kicked on after a bit bit it wasn't overly noisy imo. I do wonder what it does while it hangs out at 100% for most of that time.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Got curious so I gave it a shot on an m1 air (with 16 GB ram, otherwise base model). Encoding time was 18:40 running on battery the entire time. The case got warm to touch but nowhere near the threshold where it starts throttling.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just for kicks, I ran this through Handbrake on my gaming PC - a Ryzen 3600/Radeon 5700XT computer. At full tilt I know the computer uses about 400W of electricity. 225 of that is GPU, which I don't think was used much in the encode, so let's say 175W.

Quite a bit louder and I'm pretty sure it used at least four times the electricity but it did it in 17:16. So like, only marginally faster than a $1000 laptop with no fans drawing <40W. Pretty wild stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2024-mac/

Autodesk announces that they just released an Apple Silicon native version of AutoCAD, hopefully this will meet the needs of long suffering AutoCAD Mac users who had to make do with running the Intel version in Rosetta.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

What's wrong with Dropbox? I've got OneDrive and Dropbox through my job and both have worked flawlessly for me (Dropbox has been the easiest to use, but that could just be because I know the program better), unlike iCloud which can't be trusted.

Nothing wrong with the service, just their storage pricing goes from a pitiful 2gb for free to a massive 2tb for $10/mo with nothing in between.

All the other major cloud providers at least put some 50gb/100gb/200gb steps in between to cater to individual users, but Dropbox is $10/mo minimum even if you don’t need that much space.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Once you get high enough it circles back around to being the cheapest. I haven't found another option anywhere near the $90 or so I pay for 50TB and counting I've got on Dropbox (though I'm also afraid that one day the gravy train will end.)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

https://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2024-mac/

Autodesk announces that they just released an Apple Silicon native version of AutoCAD, hopefully this will meet the needs of long suffering AutoCAD Mac users who had to make do with running the Intel version in Rosetta.

Eh, the Windows version in general is significantly superior to the Mac version, so while it’s good that it’s now native to ASi, I’d be interested in knowing how many are actually using the Mac version relative to just running it in Parallels even.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SourKraut posted:

Eh, the Windows version in general is significantly superior to the Mac version, so while it’s good that it’s now native to ASi, I’d be interested in knowing how many are actually using the Mac version relative to just running it in Parallels even.

I had an awful lot of friends and coworker kids stuck on the windows version due to lack of the Italian language pack. Given the minimal complexity of the work done, even the limited Mac build will work wonders.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon for shits 'n' giggles to see how the ol' gal

would hold up, fully expecting it to be embarrassing hours.

Same settings and pleasantly surprised: 34 mins and it barely got warm! As somebody who used to have to encode stuff for a job on an old G3 many years ago, that seems like magic even if it comes nowhere near you drat kids and your modern times :argh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If we're feeling really froggy the version of Blender that just came out added additional M series support and it has something like 4x the frames it did prior. I've been meaning to throw the laptop at some old scenes and see how it compares to the 1080.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Warbird posted:

If we're feeling really froggy the version of Blender that just came out added additional M series support and it has something like 4x the frames it did prior. I've been meaning to throw the laptop at some old scenes and see how it compares to the 1080.

Yeah, that’ll be interesting to see, because Blender is one of the main wedge issues that seems to drive certain Mac forums crazy in terms of Intel Mac Pro vs. Apple Studio/future ASi Mac Pro

franco
Jan 3, 2003
A weird one, and not really a complaint, more to see if I'm going mental:

I mainly scroll (on these dead gay forums in Safari, say) with the mouse or spacebar/shift-spacebar but sometimes just idly tap on the up/down cursor keys. That would jump about a fifth of the page without any "inertia" and was still doing so with the last latest Ventura. After the latest latest (13.3) it barely moves you a single line of text and does so with the inertia effect.

All kinds of searching about enabling/disabling inertia scrolling just comes up with trackpad/mouse settings or iOS stuff. System Settings is the same.

I found that holding the key accelerates it, so I'm not going to cry, but still peculiar and I wonder if there's a way to change it back. Is it the same for all y'all?

franco fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 30, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a way in Mac OS to ensure certain program windows open in certain monitors? I have a three-monitor setup and it would be nice to not have to drag certain apps around every time I open up the apps I use for recording DJ sets for example, or even just to have my Chrome startup tabs open across three monitors instead of having to drag them apart. I suppose the fact that I have a fourth monitor (a TV across the room) that I only turn on sometimes might throw a wrench in these gears, even if it is possible - every time I turn it on, my computer recalibrates its arrangement for a second, I could see this becoming a problem.

What about Finder windows, do they always default to a certain size when you open a new one, is this something I can change? Dragging a window open so I can see more sort fields is another little annoyance that I could do without.

Matter of fact, since I'm here, what about OSX keyboard shortcuts, is there a good database of these? I used to pride myself on my ProTools keystrokes (and kind of still do with Ableton), and I know there's a lot more quick-navigation I could be doing in Finder instead of using my trackball. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What’s the easiest way to download ALL of my photos & videos from the Photos app into a big rear end hard drive? That will be safe from being deleted from iCloud? Just as a backup of the iCloud backup.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What’s the easiest way to download ALL of my photos & videos from the Photos app into a big rear end hard drive? That will be safe from being deleted from iCloud? Just as a backup of the iCloud backup.

Every NAS producer has a "dump iCloud Photos to NAS folder" app, initial copy is going to take a while.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a way in Mac OS to ensure certain program windows open in certain monitors? I have a three-monitor setup and it would be nice to not have to drag certain apps around every time I open up the apps I use for recording DJ sets for example, or even just to have my Chrome startup tabs open across three monitors instead of having to drag them apart. I suppose the fact that I have a fourth monitor (a TV across the room) that I only turn on sometimes might throw a wrench in these gears, even if it is possible - every time I turn it on, my computer recalibrates its arrangement for a second, I could see this becoming a problem.

What about Finder windows, do they always default to a certain size when you open a new one, is this something I can change? Dragging a window open so I can see more sort fields is another little annoyance that I could do without.

Matter of fact, since I'm here, what about OSX keyboard shortcuts, is there a good database of these? I used to pride myself on my ProTools keystrokes (and kind of still do with Ableton), and I know there's a lot more quick-navigation I could be doing in Finder instead of using my trackball. Thanks!

Yeah there's an app you can use for 1 and 2 but I don't recall them

#3 however, use cheatsheet.app, find it on home-brew. install home-brew

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Apple actually has very good documentation for most of their systems. You can usually find anything you want to know about MacOS on their support site

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Violator
May 15, 2003

franco posted:

After the latest latest (13.3) it barely moves you a single line of text and does so with the inertia effect.

I think this is a bug with 13.3, I’ve seen other complaints about scrolling behavior.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Warbird posted:

9 minute encode on my M2 Pro, fans kicked on after a bit bit it wasn't overly noisy imo. I do wonder what it does while it hangs out at 100% for most of that time.

curious about that as well. i tried this on my windows machine (amd 5800x) and it hit 100% at 5:30, but didn't complete until around 12 minutes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like to keep my old laptops. I have like 7 or 8, each with different operating systems so I can run old software

Is there any reason to keep El Capitan around? Anything it can run that Sierra or High Sierra can’t?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ever since the new update to MacOS and iPad OS, I've had issues with Universal Control working...is this a known bug?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Seems so.
https://9to5mac.com/2023/04/04/universal-control-handoff-not-working/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Apple Watch is also affected. Crap.

Hopefully the rumor of the .1 update coming this week is true...

Thanks!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there any reliable way to stop Apple Music from opening whenever my bluetooth headphones connect? This is on a MBP that is on Big Sur (latest officially supported OS version). Can I just delete Music.app with no ill effects? I've tried some "disable" options within the app itself, as suggested via some searches, but that didn't seem to work (at least not consistently). I've seen some suggestions related to using Automator to solve this, but I feel like there has to be a more straight forward way to handle this.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Splinter posted:

Is there any reliable way to stop Apple Music from opening whenever my bluetooth headphones connect? This is on a MBP that is on Big Sur (latest officially supported OS version). Can I just delete Music.app with no ill effects? I've tried some "disable" options within the app itself, as suggested via some searches, but that didn't seem to work (at least not consistently). I've seen some suggestions related to using Automator to solve this, but I feel like there has to be a more straight forward way to handle this.

Pretty sure that'll be on your headphones for sending a play/pause command on connection, right? Same thing car stereos used to do and it was maddening.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Ventura 13.3.1 has been released :siren:

Apple posted:

macOS Ventura 13.3.1 provides important bug fixes and security updates for your Mac including:

• Pushing hands emoji does not show skin tone variations

• Auto Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch may not work

More details about the security patches here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213721

Apple also has released Safari 16.4.1 for Big Sur and Monterey, which includes security updates and bug fixes, more details here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213722

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Installed the update on several Macs, does seem to fix the Apple Watch bug.

Hoo boy if you run the update on an Intel without a T2 chip (some 2017s) does it take a long while, and has to reboot three times.

As usual the quickest update was on an Apple Silicon (M2 Pro) machine.

OCLP users will note that 0.6.2 will auto detect that you have run a system update and offer to run the root patches for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

101 posted:

Pretty sure that'll be on your headphones for sending a play/pause command on connection, right? Same thing car stereos used to do and it was maddening.

Hmm good point, I hadn't thought of this being something the headphones themselves send to the OS. It looks like my buds in particular do have an auto play/pause feature via some sort of ear insertion/removal detection, but as far as I can tell from the manual there is no way to turn this off. Is there anyway to block headphone play/pause commands on the OS side of things? I assume that would also block manual play/pause controls on the headphones, but for a laptop that doesn't matter to me since the keyboard has play/pause buttons as well. And again, it seems to only inconsistently trigger Music to open after turning on some disable options in the Music app itself.

Short of just deleting Music.app I found this tool which seems like it should accomplish what I want: https://github.com/tombonez/noTunes. Still frustrating if this isn't something that's easily configurable via OS settings or Music.app itself.