Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

The Pixel 2 is spincube certified™:

https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/new-pixel-2/

Demoed in this hands on starting ~6:17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Idlk4VgjA&t=377s

You mean all the severed animal heads I sent to Mountain View worked? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Nothing on Android comes close to the pixel experience, which is on par with the iPhone experience.

Get a Pixel (1 or 2, either way).

I don't even have a Pixel, and I'm still keeping my Nexus 5X another year or two. This two year old phone is still more responsive than a Samsung S7. Only 2 GB RAM is a nuisance sometimes, making the forums reload after doing stuff in other apps, but the only real lag I see is with Snapchat. And that's a horribly coded, laggy piece of crap on any phone anyways.

The best thing is that I will still have OS and security updates for the next couple of years with Oreo.

The Pixel is even better, I hear, so yeah. I'll get a used Pixel if this one dies, but thanks to great consumer laws I just had the mainboard replaced a month ago when this one bootlooped. So I'll recommend any Google phone over other Androids. Hell, even my spare 5 is still fast with Nougat.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Android O still doesn't have a dark theme right? I really like that about my OP5

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

5436 posted:

I think the plan covers things beyond screen repair, like total destruction of your phone.

I bought the protection plan myself it, but now that I know there is a flat rate to fix the screen, I don't think it's worth it. The deductibles are $79 and $99 for the Pixel and the XL with a cost of $129 for the plan itself. They will only cover two approved accidental damage claims within the 2-year term. If those are cracked screens, the math works out like this:

So for it costs you $27 extra, even assuming you break your phone screen twice. You also get an extra year of coverage for mechanical breakdown of your phone, but I'm pretty sure that Google will replace your phone if it just bootloops or whatever within the 2 year period anyways.

I mean sure, if you totally destroy your phone by running over it, it will cover it, but how likely is that?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Don Lapre posted:

Android O still doesn't have a dark theme right? I really like that about my OP5

There's theme support under the hood that can be easily taken advantage of, without root!

https://www.xda-developers.com/andromeda-substratum-custom-themes-oreo/

You'll have to do things yourself to your own phone but chicks dig that, so just do it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rickets posted:

You'll have to do things yourself to your own phone but chicks dig that, so just do it.

"Hey ladies, check out my custom android theme! It only took me 30 minutes to figure out how to apply the right settings!"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nimper posted:

"Hey ladies, check out my custom android theme! It only took me 30 minutes to figure out how to apply the right settings!"

Sorry babe, cant take a selfie with you cause it broke the camera app

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Google support was really good about the 6P replacements that I had to do.

First one had a speakerphone issue where the mic didn't work when speakerphone was on, and the battery was starting to do the shutdown at >15-20% issue.

Second phone got the bootloop of death which was also promptly replaced with a better than new Refurb. (Seriously, I should have kept this phone. It was nicer than my original New device or the first Refurb they sent me).

The perk on top of it all was Google didn't push me to use the Nexus Protect for any of these issues even though the 2nd issue fell into the 2nd year of ownership. And others on here have seen that the 6P did get some really good extended support until everyone jumped onto that 6P for Pixel XL replacement they were doing and ruined it for everyone.

Though I don't know how Google handled 5X's with Nexus Protect and it sounds like they weren't quite as accommodating, however it seems fewer people bought the 5X directly through Google as well.

As for Verizon Pixel support.

My sisters Pixel had the invisible device in the headphone issue. (Which messes with the speakers/mic especially in calls and keeps Google from hearing you at all when there is nothing plugged in). And since it was Bootloader Locked, there was nothing I could try to fix it. Also her phone also seemed to be having issues with Updates, as when it rebooted to install/flip to the update, it would hang at the white G bootscreen with the animated line and never move until you hard rebooted the device.

Talking to Google Support through the support chat had us do a little troubleshooting, then the replacement options was to send Google the device first, and then once they get it they send you one (7-10 day turnaround) or go to Verizon and have them swap it.

Luckily at Verizon they were able to confirm the issue and have seen it a few times before, they did the swap via an overnight order for a replacement. What was interesting about this replacement was I was able to toggle the bootloader unlock switch under Developer Tools after connecting to WiFi without a SIM installed. So that was a bonus. It did come with the July Verizon update on it so it was still a Verizon Pixel more or less.

TL:DR - Verizon Pixels have 2 methods of support for device issues.

Verizon Themselves (Fast + They have their own Diag tools to confirm first)

or

Google (Slow 7-10 day turnaround which is you without your phone, but can be arranged through Support Tab via Chat/Call)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

New Pixel supports charging at 27W if you have a compliant USB-C PD charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/3naXZs2MWSj

YES!

Though only shipping with 18w chargers, the second gen Pixel supports USB-PD up to 27 watts which is really really awesome.

Only the Pixel XL supported anything higher than 15w with the last gen and it maxed out at 18w.

Edit:

Thermopyle posted:

SECONDS, JUST SECONDS APART!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 5, 2017

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

nimper posted:

Well ok, it only worked on your mom that one time

Don Lapre posted:

Sorry babe, cant take a selfie with you cause it broke the camera app

The gently caress am I taking selfies for what kind of self absorbed poo poo does that?

Rickets fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 5, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Costco can add TMobile lines with no SIM card fee. Sweet. Should only be 2-3 months of an $8 like charge to do the pixel promo

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Don Lapre posted:

Costco can add TMobile lines with no SIM card fee. Sweet. Should only be 2-3 months of an $8 like charge to do the pixel promo

Yeah, but can you get the gift card doing it this way?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Solvency posted:

Yeah, but can you get the gift card doing it this way?

Yes all that's required is you add a line and buy a pixel 2

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Thermopyle posted:

Nice. Do we know which chargers are compatible with that? I presume the Pixelbook charger would be.

Don Lapre posted:

Yes all that's required is you add a line and buy a pixel 2
Doesn't it have to be a TMo ONE plan?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

See if I understand this right...

1. Buy Pixel 2.
2. Go to Costco and get a tmobile line.
3. Get check from tmobile for $385.
4. Pay for tmobile service for a couple months.
5. Cancel tmobile service.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Nice. Do we know which chargers are compatible with that? I presume the Pixelbook charger would be.

Ravpower and anker (i think?) sell USC-C PD battery packs that will put out that many watts (i think?).

Google sells this 45W USB-C adapter for $60.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Doesn't it have to be a TMo ONE plan?

Well yes but im already tmobile one

I have 20% off for life and the line will be $10 off a month since it will use less than 2gb of data

$20 for line - $10 kickback - $2 for 20% off.

Ill pay $710 up front - $325 + ~$16 for service. So $401 for a pixel 2 64gb. $346 if you deduct the free google home mini which i was gonna get anyway

Thermopyle posted:

1. Buy Pixel 2.

Check is for $325 but yes you could do that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The gift card would be for $325 (half of $649, no matter which phone you’d buy).

Also, how do you add a line for $8/mo? Looks like $20 for existing customers to me.

Serious question, despite the running gag I’m actually asking to possibly help out a friend that uses T Mobile.

E: guess I type slow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The gift card would be for $325 (half of $649, no matter which phone you’d buy).

Also, how do you add a line for $8/mo? Looks like $20 for existing customers to me.

Serious question, despite the running gag I’m actually asking to possibly help out a friend that uses T Mobile.

E: guess I type slow.

kickback + 20% off hookup

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't know of any T-Mobile One plan that costs $20.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ existing customers. 2 lines is 120, Three is 140, four is 160.

Yes I did not know about the $10 kickback. They’ll be glad to hear it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is like mega new phone day for me and yes I fully realize how hosed Up I am and need medical attention

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 5, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Though only shipping with 18w chargers, the second gen Pixel supports USB-PD up to 27 watts which is really really awesome.

You do realize fast charging is what made all the Nexus 6P batteries fail prematurely, right? And my Note 4, for that matter. Theoretically, as long as you keep the heat down on the battery (i.e. throttling the amperage to keep it under a certain temp), it should be safe for the battery's longevity, but it never seems to work out in practice. Furthermore, fast charging when the phone is cold (i.e. you biked to work with the phone outside and slapped it right on a charger when you got in) can do a ton of damage as well. It sounds nice but I'd bet the higher wattage charging will take that many more months off the life of the thing.

Thermopyle posted:

1. Buy Pixel 2.

We're sure T-Mobile doesn't have any "gotchas" in the fine print? I didn't see anything with regards to how long you need to keep the line, but I'm surprised if they would have overlooked that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Ravpower and anker (i think?) sell USC-C PD battery packs that will put out that many watts (i think?).

Google sells this 45W USB-C adapter for $60.

I got the new Mophie one which is pricey, but really nice otherwise. I don't think any of the RAVpower stuff has been great for C compliance. The Anker packs are ok, but the last I checked they still had wonky logic that made it possible to accidently charge the pack with your phone.

Anker makes a relatively inexpensive 27w USB-PD charger that's been proven safe and is travel friendly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y...ortable+charger

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

^^ existing customers. 2 lines is 120, Three is 140, four is 160.

Yes I did not know about the $10 kickback. They’ll be glad to hear it.

They need to enable it, its in their account settings. It has to be done on every line.

Zero VGS posted:

We're sure T-Mobile doesn't have any "gotchas" in the fine print? I didn't see anything with regards to how long you need to keep the line, but I'm surprised if they would have overlooked that.

No different then the s8 bogo's. Just keep it till the prepaid card comes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

You do realize fast charging is what made all the Nexus 6P batteries fail prematurely, right?

Do we really know this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Do we really know this?

Well fast charging will age any battery faster.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Edit: this was in response to an old post that doesn't matter anymore.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So, I've lost track. I have a Nexus 6P. My wife has a Nexus 5X. She's buying a Pixel (1) XL. Which of those chargers work with other USB C stuff, and which should we only use with what it came with?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

You do realize fast charging is what made all the Nexus 6P batteries fail prematurely, right?

The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grumpwagon posted:

So, I've lost track. I have a Nexus 6P. My wife has a Nexus 5X. She's buying a Pixel (1) XL. Which of those chargers work with other USB C stuff, and which should we only use with what it came with?

As far as I know the 6P charger is the one you shouldn't use for anything else. It's not up to spec.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Well fast charging will age any battery faster.

Yeah I know, but that's not what I understand "prematurely" to mean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

These batteries are not changing at these full rates the whole time. The charging logic should be able to balance battery lifetime while maximising charging rate without hurting much on either side.

Also, the 6p really didn't charge at a high rate when compared to any of the QC2.0 and QC3.0 stuff and you aren't hearing of premature battery failures there.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm planning on picking up a Moto g5 plus, but I noticed there are two versions. Newegg has the Moto 5g+ and Walmart has the Moto 5gs, they are both $230. The only difference I could find is that the 5gs has a 13 MP camera instead of 12, and it has dual rear cameras. Does that make the 5gs a no brainer or is there something else I should watch out for?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-Moto-G5-Plus-Special-Edition-32GB-Unlocked-Smartphone-Lunar-Gray/631445266#read-more

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875209507&cm_re=moto_g5-_-75-209-507-_-Product

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nimper posted:

As far as I know the 6P charger is the one you shouldn't use for anything else. It's not up to spec.

I was told not to use my 5x charger with anything else. I thought the 6p one was fine?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm planning on picking up a Moto g5 plus, but I noticed there are two versions. Newegg has the Moto 5g+ and Walmart has the Moto 5gs, they are both $230. The only difference I could find is that the 5gs has a 13 MP camera instead of 12, and it has dual rear cameras. Does that make the 5gs a no brainer or is there something else I should watch out for?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-Moto-G5-Plus-Special-Edition-32GB-Unlocked-Smartphone-Lunar-Gray/631445266#read-more

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875209507&cm_re=moto_g5-_-75-209-507-_-Product

Yeah, S model is a no brainer, although at some point I think it will cost slightly more.

S model has:

slightly bigger screen
slightly bigger battery
dual rear cameras
better front camera
higher quality exterior

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, S model is a no brainer, although at some point I think it will cost slightly more.

S model has:

slightly bigger screen
slightly bigger battery
dual rear cameras
better front camera
higher quality exterior

It's worth at least an asterisk that the dual rear cameras on the S are outright worse than the single camera on the non-S. The rest of the changes probably make the S better overall.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The G5+ they had selected is the 2GB version, while the G5s+ starts at 3GB.

Isn't the Amazon ad supported G5+ with 4GB in the same ballpark, price-wise, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Rickets posted:

Well ok, it only worked on your mom that one time

The gently caress am I taking selfies for what kind of self absorbed poo poo does that?

Being against selfies was so 2014