Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

my favorite thing about souls games is wandering around a cave with anticipation for what im gonna find around the next corner and/or hoping to get far enough to the next bonfire to breathe a little. i only ever want to look at the menu when im upgrading, and i want to get back into the world asap.

ac6 by contrast seems like there's a heavy emphasis on menus and loadouts like some mech sim + cod multiplayer hybrid. it doesn't sound like something i would enjoy, unfortunately. the gameplay looks pretty cool, but i don't want to need to juggle 800 different control mechanics and optimize my guns and rockets or whatever in order to be good.

can someone confirm/deny that it's NOT like souls in that you could theoretically be level 1 and still beat the game if you just play flawlessly? there's a nice feeling i get knowing that a souls game will allow me to level up enough to beat a boss AND/OR i can level up to op it.

also, probably not, but. does it play anything like returnal? that's the only third person shooter in recent memory i enjoyed.

The garage is a big part of the game, and it pulls its weight because it has so much impact on the gameplay. It can play like Returnal. You can start building in that direction, and you'll be itching to get into the menu when you have the means to buy lighter faster parts. Pretty soon you'll be zipping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Counterpoint: it doesn’t play anything like Returnal and it’s silly to say so!

ShoogaSlim, it sounds like you enjoy Souls games for reasons similar to me… and I find AC6 boring. Maybe give it a chance on sale like another poster said, but I think it’s for a different demographic than us.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ShoogaSlim posted:

my favorite thing about souls games is wandering around a cave with anticipation for what im gonna find around the next corner and/or hoping to get far enough to the next bonfire to breathe a little. i only ever want to look at the menu when im upgrading, and i want to get back into the world asap.

ac6 by contrast seems like there's a heavy emphasis on menus and loadouts like some mech sim + cod multiplayer hybrid. it doesn't sound like something i would enjoy, unfortunately. the gameplay looks pretty cool, but i don't want to need to juggle 800 different control mechanics and optimize my guns and rockets or whatever in order to be good.

can someone confirm/deny that it's NOT like souls in that you could theoretically be level 1 and still beat the game if you just play flawlessly? there's a nice feeling i get knowing that a souls game will allow me to level up enough to beat a boss AND/OR i can level up to op it.

also, probably not, but. does it play anything like returnal? that's the only third person shooter in recent memory i enjoyed.

Think about loadouts more like weapon choice in Monster Hunter. There are "optimal" loadouts people will find but executing with a weapon set you personally enjoy is more the aim, this is why you can always sell stuff you don't like and get all your money back so you're encouraged to experiment. If you're not liking the melee weapons then don't use them, put another gun in that slot. The game also gates your power level by unlocking weapons and upgrades with story progress, so if you're stuck at a boss you always know its doable with the equipment available to you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Counterpoint: it doesn’t play anything like Returnal and it’s silly to say so!

It honestly does play sort of like Returnal

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Madness.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

It honestly does play sort of like Returnal

I agree. It feels like this robot has no weight and the weapons feel anaemic given the flash to effect differential.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Surprised you bought it. Don’t you strongly dislike the combat design in From games?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ZeeBoi posted:

Just beat my first proper Blasphemous 2 boss on my first try. Pretty easy all things considered. Her gimmick wasn’t too hard to counter.

I did the sand skelly boss as my first with almost zero upgrades but I felt stuck down there and was too lazy to climb out, took me like 40 tries.

I think the difficulty is highly variable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry, I don't feed off dumb internet drama so I don't know or care about this at all.

:hmmyes:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The dude with the glass-encased saint on his back? He was my first too. Went down pretty fast with the flame charge on my weapon. Was doing chip damage until I started using the flames though. I think your first boss depends on your weapon choice, as each one will unlock traversal abilities that lead down different paths.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man, I’m in no rush to buy and play it any time soon but ACVI sounds like very good times. I’m glad everyone’s enjoying it so much :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man, I’m in no rush to buy and play it any time soon but ACVI sounds like very good times. I’m glad everyone’s enjoying it so much :D

It hardcore owns op

edit; watching Maximillian Dood get owned by the tutorial boss over and over again, wholesome content :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just think it’s sick as hell that people who grew up loving AC games get a new one more or less out of nowhere.

I guess my own variation of that feeling is Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. I’m hoping it hits how I’m expecting it to. Jet Grind (YEAH THATS RIGHT) Radio is so special to me.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

veni veni veni posted:

AC6 feels like a goddamn PS2 game

and it kicks rear end

they should keep making ps2 games imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are both fast shooters where you barely have to aim and almost all of the focus is on dodging.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Still can’t beat the first boss. It moves faster than me and hides behind map barriers wtf is this poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just think it’s sick as hell that people who grew up loving AC games get a new one more or less out of nowhere.

I guess my own variation of that feeling is Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. I’m hoping it hits how I’m expecting it to. Jet Grind (YEAH THATS RIGHT) Radio is so special to me.

oh, my brother, i am over the top excited for that game, too

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I agree. It feels like this robot has no weight and the weapons feel anaemic given the flash to effect differential.

okay, buddy

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Don't do that. He feels that way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh, my brother, i am over the top excited for that game, too

it sounds like it does exactly what it says on the tin I mean how cool is that???

im just a little dude again booting up yet another all time great console to skate around while getting funked up to the filthy fresh beats of one hideki naganuma

:swoon:

games!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

Surprised you bought it. Don’t you strongly dislike the combat design in From games?

Reminds me of Daryl Braithwaite in his later years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

Don't do that. He feels that way.

I feel like tempered steel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

Reminds me of Daryl Braithwaite in his later years.

What?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I feel like tempered steel.

Forty-nine-ninety-nine dollar upsell, please, Mister Steel, sir. Look, a diamond.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://youtu.be/lnigc08J6FI?si=I8ca0q-LM_A2d8gb

But stale

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

No idea what you’re getting at.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just my vibe team

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

They are both fast shooters where you barely have to aim and almost all of the focus is on dodging.

Oh okay then.

Have you considered trying one of the 20 Touhou games, in that case?

Bugblatter posted:

No idea what you’re getting at.

Bugsnax

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Have spent most of time in Barbie’s armo(u)red core fashion designer. I am no good with building blocks, I wish I could just import something I made in photoshop.

On the other hand I just saw this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

Have spent most of time in Barbie’s armo(u)red core fashion designer. I am no good with building blocks, I wish I could just import something I made in photoshop.

those shoulder pads look so excited

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That mech's shoulders look so happy

efb

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Aipsh posted:

NOW I am interested :getin:
Seriously though, I am glad people are enjoying ACVI.

I finished Phoenix Wright last night and am going to be horizoning tomorrow and pretty stoked :)

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question about Atomic Heart. I was interested in it, got sidetracked with other stuff, and remembered some controversies with the developers with regards to the war in Ukraine. What ever came about that? I’d rather not buy a game that overtly is pro-Russia

I have been playing the PC version. Not sure what the ukraine/russia stuff was, but from my experience so far (I have not finished it) it is not pro-russia.

It is a different countries attempt at mix of Bioshock 1 and Infinite. I have been having a really excellent time with it. The level of design in the environments and the overall alternate history rivals that of similar big western developers. It is a huge playground for powers and gunfights with some really odd but memorable characters. They have stuffed a lot into the game and part of the thrill is seeing alternate tech from a non US viewpoint - of course everything starts off great, but this is an alternate history and things never stay that way and the breakdown of everything is both spooky and engrossing to explore. The alternate tech and ideas are my kind of wild.

This is quite refreshing really.

I will have more to say once I finish it, but my current thoughts with 6.5 hours in is that I am glad I am playing it and I look forward to finishing it. Also because I am playing on PC with a 4070ti it looks phenomenal. :hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Credits rolling on Trails of Cold Steel. Man, that escalated quickly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Question about Atomic Heart. I was interested in it, got sidetracked with other stuff, and remembered some controversies with the developers with regards to the war in Ukraine. What ever came about that? I’d rather not buy a game that overtly is pro-Russia

ragebait nothingburger, the game came out and was largely ignored. It'll prolly be on my year end list because the art is just so fantastic and the Mick Gordon soundtrack rules. It's some of the better shootmans I've played in years and while the English localization was pretty bad you can always just play in Russian with subtitles. The devs are supporting it with post-release story DLC which is nice because there isn't really another game out there that's doing what it's doing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ragebait nothingburger, the game came out and was largely ignored. It'll prolly be on my year end list because the art is just so fantastic and the Mick Gordon soundtrack rules. It's some of the better shootmans I've played in years and while the English localization was pretty bad you can always just play in Russian with subtitles. The devs are supporting it with post-release story DLC which is nice because there isn't really another game out there that's doing what it's doing.

:hf:
I am really glad the DLC is post because I always worry about starting a game when more is definitely coming. I never got round to the Spider-man DLC because I already finished the game a week after it came out and find it tough going back. Only got round to Frozen Wilds this year because again, I finished Horizon around release and find it tough to return.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
AH is one of the worst feeling shooters I've played in a long time and I replayed Pariah last week

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That mech's shoulders look so happy

efb

This AC has a really flexible design mode where you can shift and place decals. Pretty sure those shoulder pads have a Kirby decal on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atomic Heart would have been better if anyone could loving shut up for 10 seconds