Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
it's dope as all get out (re: Possession)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yaws posted:

My friend is raving about Possession. What'd you guys think of it?

It's one of those films that you have to experience for yourself, preferrably while knowing as little as possible about it beforehand. Mere words cannot do it justice.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Yaws posted:

I found it pretty boring but I'm definitely in the minority around here when it comes to that movie, probably warrants another viewing from me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Yaws posted:

Its the best divorce movie ever made

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Y posted:

Conversely, the ghosts are never clearly shown to be "real". Everything that happens in the movie can be explained as the result of normal traumas causing breaks in reality - the guy begins to see "ghosts" after his wife cheats on him, the son hears a "ghost" after both his mother and father die gruesome deaths. Nothing supernatural happens, and we are shown that when the father sees a "ghost" in the footage, his friend sees nothing, and this discontinuity causes him to snap again.

EDIT: Also whether the ghosts are "real" isn't that important imo.

I feel like the real estate agent plot thread contradicts that interpretation, unless all of that is a red herring including the final shot.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Yo, I nearly cried at the end of They Look Like People, bros

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I really like that all four characters are some species of oddball so it's not all on Wyatt.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like that all four characters are some species of oddball so it's not all on Wyatt.

I seriously like everything about that movie, but especially the characters.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Am I the only person who finds Possession to be horribly irritating? The incessant exaggerated emoting from the two leads made for a wholly unpleasant experience.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I love TTLP, I almost cried too. The characters and their suffering felt very real and it was easy to empathize with them. It was one of the more empathetic views of mental health I've seen in a movie. While Wyatt's delusions and paranoia could have ended up becoming very real and dangerous, the movie focuses more on the interpersonal tensions that can happen when someone is in the depths of a crisis. His relationship with his fiance ends, he's not making friends, he's sure bad guys are out to get him, things are bad- but you still want so badly for him to be okay and to get help. Having Christian suffering in his own way was interesting as well- his problems weren't as outwardly obvious as Wyatt, but he was deeply insecure and unhappy and struggling as well.

I think these days people are more sensible about not casting people with mental health issues as evil/crazy/bad/murderers/etc, but it's still nice to see a movie where the character is not defined by their illness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love movies about good characters and feeling emotions. I will watch that movie based on those two things.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Interior is getting a July VOD release.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caiman posted:

Am I the only person who finds Possession to be horribly irritating? The incessant exaggerated emoting from the two leads made for a wholly unpleasant experience.

Bad break ups are the worst kind of over emoting. Be glad you've never gone through it if you can't relate. Possession would make a great double feature with That Obscure Object of Desire (although you may want to jump off a building after).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I thought you guys were talking about the 2012 movie "The Possession" and was super confused because it looked like poo poo.

Then I found the Franco-German-Polish movie "Possession" from 1981 and it sounds way fuckin' cooler.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I've got They Look Like People and Murder Party lined up for tonight. Is the latter nearly as good as Blue Ruin + Green Room or should I temper my expectations?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

caiman posted:

Possession is equal parts irritating, funny, and terrifying. It's the perfect horror film.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I loved Don't Blink, holy poo poo. Just the perfect horror movie for me. No jump scares, no easy explanations, the horror comes from something elegant and simple and absolutely terrifying.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It ends up being a pretty positive message of a movie. Fuckin bros taking care of their bros, bro. It earned its' good vibes ending.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ruddiger posted:

Bad break ups are the worst kind of over emoting. Be glad you've never gone through it if you can't relate. Possession would make a great double feature with That Obscure Object of Desire (although you may want to jump off a building after).

Oddly enough I was going to say that Possession may be my third fav love story, behind That Obscure Object of Desire and In the Realm of the Senses.

And I think the emoting is absolutely essential to the film. It's almost like a theater performance more than a movie.,

Glamorama26 posted:

It ends up being a pretty positive message of a movie. Fuckin bros taking care of their bros, bro. It earned its' good vibes ending.
I'm wondering, how would people have felt about the movie had it ended without showing Christian was saved? Queen of Earth really made me think how powerful it can be to give off the expectation of something happening, with all the tension, but not actually give the release. I got kinda the same feeling during The Invitation where I almost wished it had ended with the wine being knocked over and Will yelling for people to not drink it

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, besides that part (sorta) I'd say Possession feels very similar to my own divorce in all honesty and realism.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Glamorama26 posted:

re: They Look Like People

This was critical to me because I'm a giant pussy and I really like earned Good Endings. Both of the main characters' problems dovetail to bring the narrative there—Christian has just had his whole Dominate Everything Be Great!! house of cards completely fall apart right as Wyatt is closing in on the hour at which he thinks he has to start killing people. Christian submits to it because whatever, gently caress everything; Wyatt is going ahead because he's similarly that far down his own rabbit hole. But then it doesn't end in the horrible way that you think it will and I am happy with that :yaycloud:

first time since It Follows that I almost immediately want to watch something again.

edit:

alansmithee posted:

I'm wondering, how would people have felt about the movie had it ended without showing Christian was saved?
I would still think it was a very tight, clever, intelligent film that ended in a horribly sad way. A more grim ending wouldn't detract from it being a really well-made film, but I would recommend it less, because every time I tell people to watch something like Dancer In The Dark they just end up throwing tomatoes at me

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A dispute with HUNDU in another thread got out of hand and he implied some unsavory things about me, so I feel the need to clear the air and say no, I do not prefer Friday the 13th - nor Friday the 13th part III - to Halloween.

HOWEVER, I rewatched Friday the 13th parts II-IV for this past Friday and part III was actually better than I remembered! Some very good kills and the final girl scene is a real pip.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was about to say.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

A dispute with HUNDU in another thread got out of hand and he implied some unsavory things about me, so I feel the need to clear the air and say no, I do not prefer Friday the 13th - nor Friday the 13th part III - to Halloween.

HOWEVER, I rewatched Friday the 13th parts II-IV for this past Friday and part III was actually better than I remembered! Some very good kills and the final girl scene is a real pip.

We're going to need some concrete proof.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Darkness was bad, but in its own way very entertaining.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Darkness was bad, but in its own way very entertaining.

It's rocking a 0% on RT on 15 bored but savage reviews.
All movies:

quote:

There isn’t one genuine scare in the entire film. The plot is so thin and the action so sparse that the majority of The Darkness is spent exploring this family’s inconsequential problems. It exploits autism, anorexia, and alcoholism for half-baked story filler, none of which has anything to do with a bunch of pissed-off Native Americans trying to hack their way back into the world of the living. It’s difficult to even call this interminable mess of a movie forgettable, if only because it’s so remarkably bad by just about every metric by which it could be judged. The Darkness is a punishing slog made up of every bad horror cliché of the last 20 years, and this reviewer implores you not to see it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"The plot is so thin and the action so sparse that the majority of The Darkness is spent exploring this family’s inconsequential problems"
me --> this sounds good now

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hat Thoughts posted:

"The plot is so thin and the action so sparse that the majority of The Darkness is spent exploring this family’s inconsequential problems"

One of the weird bits in the movie that actually crossed over into actually upsetting to me was the teenage daughter getting caught purging into a tupperware, and the subsequent reveal of a bunch of storage containers under her bed that presumably contain many days worth of vomiting school lunches

But then it has hilarious things like Kevin Bacon shouting "YOUR DOG BIT MY DAUGHTER" at the neighbor whose dog attacked the teenage daughter 30 seconds earlier

It's very much a good-bad horror movie.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hat Thoughts posted:

I realized a while ago that I'd rather see a 3/10 horror movie than a 7/10 anything else.

I dunno what that says about me though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Coffee And Pie posted:

One of the weird bits in the movie that actually crossed over into actually upsetting to me was the teenage daughter getting caught purging into a tupperware, and the subsequent reveal of a bunch of storage containers under her bed that presumably contain many days worth of vomiting school lunches

But then it has hilarious things like Kevin Bacon shouting "YOUR DOG BIT MY DAUGHTER" at the neighbor whose dog attacked the teenage daughter 30 seconds earlier

It's very much a good-bad horror movie.

Finally a horror movie about poopsocking (basically)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Yaws posted:

CelticPredator posted:

I love movies about good characters and feeling emotions. I will watch that movie based on those two things.

COOL CORN posted:

I thought you guys were talking about the 2012 movie "The Possession" and was super confused because it looked like poo poo.

Then I found the Franco-German-Polish movie "Possession" from 1981 and it sounds way fuckin' cooler.

Possession (1981) is great, and yall should go in as blind as possible. By CineD law, you are required to post your reaction to it in this thread.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

and we don toleryate no yanks commin in this here thread talkn down on Possession :colbert:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I enjoyed Possession but I think this thread got me a bit too hyped for the craziness. I found it packed a much stronger emotional punch, it wasn't just WTF : The Movie.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

frozenpeas posted:

I enjoyed Possession but I think this thread got me a bit too hyped for the craziness. I found it packed a much stronger emotional punch, it wasn't just WTF : The Movie.

Exactly. It is very strange, but once you get past the initial strangeness and start thinking about the greater themes being shown, it becomes almost frighteningly affecting. And the performances are really spectacular; Sam Niell somehow out Nicholas Cage-s Nicolas Cage, and Isabel Adjani somehow outdoes Sam Niell in the performance of a lifetime (literally, in this case, since in interviews later she said she was never, ever doing anything like that again), and still the relationship they present, warts and all, is as believable as any I've seen presented in movies.

Seriously, everyone should see Possession. Best movie I've seen in which I've thought "Did... Did that man just kick a... :stare:"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ramadu posted:

I realized a while ago that I'd rather see a 3/10 horror movie than a 7/10 anything else.

Holy poo poo, this describes me perfectly. Thank you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I read this backward at first and was totally ready to go to bat for the idea that Halloween III (1982) is better than any of the Friday the 13th films.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SubG posted:

I read this backward at first and was totally ready to go to bat for the idea that Halloween III (1982) is better than any of the Friday the 13th films.

I've only seen the first three Friday films, but I'm willing to say Halloween III: Season Of The Witch is easily better than them.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Halloween III, its supporters and horror fans often blame audiences for being dumb philistines who unfairly judged the movie for not having Michael Myers in it, but... did the marketing really communicate the whole anthology concept well, or even at all? Because it really does seem like they sent that movie out there and slapped the "Halloween III" title on it and while, yeah, the ads and such didn't feature Michael Myers, it seemed like just about no effort was made to elucidate the new format and left it up to audiences to piece it together.

I can remember even as a kid who had no idea what the Halloween series was about, coming across the VHS for Halloween III and wondering "so... is this one of those Halloween movies I've heard about? Why doesn't this sound like a sequel? It doesn't mention anything about continuing a story or anything... but then why would it have a "III" in there? What is this?"

Even just now I looked up the movie's listing on Amazon and the marketing copy makes no mention of this movie's relation to the other movies:

Halloween III on Amazon posted:

When a terrified toy salesman is mysteriously attacked and brought to the hospital babbling and clutching the year’s most popular Halloween costume, an eerie pumpkin mask, Dr. Daniel Challis (Tom Atkins, The Fog, Night Of The Creeps) is thrust into a terrifying Halloween nightmare. Working with the salesman’s daughter, Ellie (Stacey Nelkin), Daniel traces the mask to the Silver Shamrock Novelties company and its founder, Conal Cochran (Dan O Herlihy, RoboCop). Ellie and Daniel uncover Cochran’s shocking Halloween plan and must stop him before trick-or-treaters across the country are kept from ever coming home in this terrifying thriller from writer/director Tommy Lee Wallace (Stephen King’s It).

New special features include audio commentaries, new interviews with cast & crew, a look at the original shooting locations, trailers, radio spots and more!

Were they really hoping that folks would come in hoping for some kind of continuation of the Myers storyline (even if it was apparent to them he wouldn't be in it much) and that the movie would be so good it would just win over these viewers regardless? Because that sounds unbelievably dumb to me, but it also seems unbelievably dumb that they would think they did enough to sell the anthology idea.

I mean, it just seems to me that it would've been so easy to just start off with something like, "You survived Michael Myers, but there's more terrifying tricks and treats where he came from... Now face a brand new tale of Halloween horror in the John Carpenter tradition!" But it's like they didn't even try.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've only seen the first three Friday films, but I'm willing to say Halloween III: Season Of The Witch is easily better than them.

Ramadu posted:

I think these are actually related. Halloween III is a steaming mess on a lot of levels, but it's absofuckinglutely it's own thing. The Friday the 13th films never really connected with me because it's always felt like the best bits are rehashed from other sources (like the second installment copying scenes from Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971) shot for shot).

I think this is one of the problems with number/star rating systems. Like, I finally got around to watching The Force Awakens (2015) the other day. And you know that scene in They Look Like People (2015) where Wyatt and Christian play Blobby Wars, a game they played as kids, and it just somehow doesn't work? That's how The Force Awakens left me feeling. It is a superbly crafted bit of mainstream cinema. All of the production design is beyond reproach. But the thing that made your toes tingle if you saw the original Star Wars (1977) when it was released, the reason why it has cast such an enormous shadow over American film in the decades since, is that it wasn't a meticulous reproduction of something you'd already been seeing for years. I mean on one level it kinda feels like it is---that's one of the magical accomplishments of Spielberg and Lucas in those early days of modern blockbuster filmmaking. Films like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) feel like they're part of an existing school of filmmaking, are polished examples of existing genres, but they're not. That's the result of Spielberg and Lucas channeling all of the poo poo they loved as kids, all the things that inspired them as filmmakers, and melting it down and synthesising it into something that feels vaguely familiar while still being inarguably novel.

Horror film classically relies, in very simple terms, of a cycle of titillation, transgression, then catharsis. And I think the problem with retreading old material in horror cinema is that it takes all of the exhilaration out of the titillation and all of the bite out of the transgression. It becomes mere formula. And even if it's a good formula I'm not going to feel as transported the second time I see the same schtick, whether it's second time I'm seeing an alien sun set perfectly framed behind a condenser tower (or whatever the gently caress) on a desert world, or a couple getting run through with a spear mid-coitus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

That's OK because it's 100 percent true.