Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Calling it: the John that got nabbed will zap way and become the other John, who will then zap the Past John back here, who will then zap away to become Present John, and then Present John will zap off to do...something. Presumably gently caress something else up, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In case you wish to refer back to the last time this gag was used.

quote:

All MSPA readers make a solemn vow to do an acrobatic loving pirouette off the stump and blow their brains out if it doesn't stop keep happening.

Welp.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
stump stump stump stump stump

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Color Printer posted:

Calling it: the John that got nabbed will zap way and become the other John, who will then zap the Past John back here, who will then zap away to become Present John, and then Present John will zap off to do...something. Presumably gently caress something else up, I'm sure.

Nah, the reader's gonna try and commit suicide in reference to the ORIGINAL gag, and John's gonna stop them. Calling it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

KaosMachina posted:

Nah, the reader's gonna try and commit suicide in reference to the ORIGINAL gag, and John's gonna stop them. Calling it.

John will explain to the reader that following through on that would actually, in fulfilling the promise of those prior pages, be in itself an instance of the kind of meta-shenanigans and excessive authorial self-indulgence which it's purportedly intended to censure. The resulting total narrative implosion will remove any and all traces of fiction from the entire internet, which was secretly Hussie's goal all along.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I want an [s] page where we shoot ourselves in the head while the elevator music plays.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
In retrospect that was really the only way this scenario could have gone.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

attackbunny posted:

I want an [s] page where we shoot ourselves in the head while the elevator music plays.

Only if it has a track of Hussie and Bowman laughing laid over it.

Poorly.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If the suicidal MSPA reader ends up being crucial to the plot, it will have all been worth it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So when do the Jailbreak retcons start happening?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New title for the next thread: "MSPaint Adventures - Homestuck Edition, You come to the sobering realization that things will never stop from keep happening constantly."

I wonder if John will somehow interact with the reader?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

attackbunny posted:

He goes to a major con and gathers together all of the Homestucks in attendance for a group photo. "Ok, now I want you to take these toy guns..."

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Hussie's greatest trick is being able to make us wonder, even after all this time, whether he has a grand plan for this story or he's just taking the hugest piss ever egged on by severe undiagnosed mental illness. And it's wonderful.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Blackheart posted:

The dot on John's forehead will turn out to be significant. Vital to the plot, even.

And the dot on "future John's" arm in the reader's imagination?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
WOAH HEY ANOTHER UPDATE
it's been a while since we had multiple updates in a day like this
oh boy, I can't even click on the dialoglog, that can't be good

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

More updates! 4 this time, and 13 earlier. I'M ONTO YOUR GAME HUSSIE.

So uh... this looks like it might not turn out so good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So the one John is from farther ahead in the story than we are.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, it occurs to me that John and Roxy have a surprising amount in common. Have I already said that?

- Both are the "leaders" of their respective sessions, because they're the social glue that holds their group together. Roxy, though careful social wrangling, and John through being a really really sincere guy who sees the good in everyone else.
- They both have the fewest romantic chances among their own groups.
- Roxy seemed to take the whole Condesce thing a lot more personally than Dirk did. Her hatred of the Batterwitch is second only to John's.
- They've both had magic ring adventures (same ring?)

If the comic needs a way to bridge the social gap between the Alpha and Beta sessions, those two are the ones that would be the best at becoming fast friends and then dragging everyone else into the party.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
?!?!?!?!

Two months ago: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/06285_1_preemptiveretcon.gif.

Today: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/06433_1.gif.

Did it always say preemptiveretcon, or is this Hussie just being Hussie?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I hope Nannasprite comes to the rescue with cookie-lasers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Someone blow on this cartridge already.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

life_source posted:

?!?!?!?!

Two months ago: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/06285_1_preemptiveretcon.gif.

Today: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/06433_1.gif.

Did it always say preemptiveretcon, or is this Hussie just being Hussie?

The panel was always like that, but the image might not have had "preemptiveretcon" on the end (that image does exist and is exactly the same). Makes me wonder if he made a separate suffixed panel for some fancy programming thing that we don't know about yet.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

You know, it occurs to me that John and Roxy have a surprising amount in common. Have I already said that?

- Both are the "leaders" of their respective sessions, because they're the social glue that holds their group together. Roxy, though careful social wrangling, and John through being a really really sincere guy who sees the good in everyone else.
- Roxy seemed to take the whole Condesce thing a lot more personally than Dirk did. Her hatred of the Batterwitch is second only to John's.

If the comic needs a way to bridge the social gap between the Alpha and Beta sessions, those two are the ones that would be the best at becoming fast friends and then dragging everyone else into the party.

You're not the first to notice this, and, without wishing to sound too tumblr, it does seem that Hussie is setting them up to be an item.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Bongo Bill posted:

So the one John is from farther ahead in the story than we are.

OR, he's from a point in the story we won't see, where he realizes he needed to have helped Roxy but didn't so went back in time continuity to tell himself to help her.

Bobulus posted:

Nah. John's is the Ring of Life and Roxy's was the Ring of Void.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

Nah. John's is the Ring of Life and Roxy's was the Ring of Void.

Yeah, but one disappears without a trace as the other one appears with no known origin. This all-but-guarantees that they're one ring that has two functions or gets changed somehow.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You're not the first to notice this, and, without wishing to sound too tumblr, it does seem that Hussie is setting them up to be an item.

Putting Roxy and John together is quite popular among fans and shippers. Things like Roxy and John's odd dream encounter and Roxy's crush on Dad are basically catnip for shippers looking for evidence for their theories. Plus, the instinct to put the hero with someone and not having many unrelated, living options.

Also, I find it a bit strange that the story' showing us a John from further along the timeline. It seemed like one of the meta-effects of John's power was that we would basically just follow the furthest-along John through time and space, watching him affect the timeline and at times try to undo what he's done. That the story has further ahead Johns and causal loops sort of puts John's power back into the realm of time travel like we saw of Dave and Aradia.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

A big flaming stink posted:

Again, the point of John as a meta-entity is that there is nothing that John can do within the confines of the comic that would prevent his existence outside of it. As an entity that exists outside the literal frame of the comic, he is closer to the reality of the real world than anything else in Homestuck. He is literally the most important thing in Homestuck right now, short of Hussie the author (as opposed to Hussie the character)

Edit: I don't think stopping himself from using the Juju would create a new not-meta John, at best it would merely disconnect his meta powers from the weird house icon. Instead, he would have suddenly gotten meta powers for no discernable reason.

Most important character... Most important character...

But I thought Gamzee was the most important? But lets think about this, what happened to John when he first started using his new powers? Other than the teleporting around he appeared blurry. Who else has appeared blurry with great frequency? Often enough that it became an inside joke? :tinfoil:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Most important character... Most important character...

But I thought Gamzee was the most important? But lets think about this, what happened to John when he first started using his new powers? Other than the teleporting around he appeared blurry. Who else has appeared blurry with great frequency? Often enough that it became an inside joke? :tinfoil:

As Caliborn's servant, he may have had an opportunity to access his treasure.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Fucknag posted:

More updates! 4 this time, and 13 earlier. I'M ONTO YOUR GAME HUSSIE.

So uh... this looks like it might not turn out so good.

The next 13 updates will be a 3x showstaredown combo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobulus posted:

There's no need for analysis. It is guaranteed that they'll be getting together because it'd mean that John is hooking up with Dave's mom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All shall transpire as foretold in Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Look at the clothing colors. Sweet Bro is Dave-red, Hella Jeff is John-blue, and Bro's mom is both Roxy-pink and Jane-cyan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, when I read that page it dawned on me. Hussie had been subtly building up Roxy and John, without ever directly bringing them together. Just a lot of stuff, little stuff that can easily be written off, leads to this being the most likely thing.

I'm not a shipper or any nonsense, but as a writer it actually makes sense given the breadcrumbs Hussie has left and the way he likes to write. That, and that Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic, because it foretells everything, makes this almost certain. So of course something is going to go wrong.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
How did you all forget the biggest John/Roxy moment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thundarr posted:

There's no need for analysis. It is guaranteed that they'll be getting together because it'd mean that John is hooking up with Dave's mom.

This is the most (read: only) compelling reason I've heard yet.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 14, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazerunner posted:

How did you all forget the biggest John/Roxy moment.

"The streets are empty. WIND skims the VOIDS keeping neighbors apart..."

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

quote:

It is your thirteenth birthday, and as with all twelve preceding it, something feels missing from your life. The game presently eluding you is only the latest sleight of hand in the repertoire of an unseen riddler, one to engender a sense not of mirth, but of lack. His coarse schemes are those less of a prankster than a common pickpocket. His riddle is Absence itself. It is a mystery dispersing altogether, like the moon's faint reflection, with even one pebble of inquiry dropped in its black well. It is the most diabolical riddle of all.

I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence but it's one hell of a coincidence.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus, Hussie could go either way and it'd still be genius.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

As I recall, in the book commentary, he implies the unseen jester staying down at him like the sun was Vriska, but that's easy enough to revise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bobulus posted:

As I recall, in the book commentary, he implies the unseen jester staying down at him like the sun was Vriska, but that's easy enough to revise.

It's not like Hussie doesn't lie constantly.