Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

going fast is fun op

It is, having a real snappy acceleration always makes me happy when I can lean on it and just launch or change direction quickly.

I was wondering what kind of driver it makes me, I am perfectly happy to just go along with traffic and I don’t change lanes to gain small time benefits, I don’t tailgate, but if the road opens up I looooove to go way above the limit. Always have to keep in mind the locations the cops like to patrol :haw: So far it is working out as I haven’t had a ticket in ages (knock wood)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

I was wondering what kind of driver it makes me,

From your description on how you drive, a good one?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I’m thinking I don’t really fit into type A or whatever

My biggest nemesis are full size trucks which are always driven by psychotic lunatics in my area who have to follow 3’ off the read bumper and speed like idiots through school zones.

How do these dipshits afford gas!?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have never seen any advertising for dual motors imply anything other than "makes car go faster and gets to those speeds in a shorter amount of time". If people were honestly concerned about range like the common complaint about BEVs are then single motor would be what people would most be looking at but the lizard brain 'gotta go fast' wants dual motor because every ICE lover fantasizes about the day they will be the guy in that Nurburgring video posted above (they won't be).

I think the vast majority of people who want dual motors are doing it for the "All Weather Driving" even though AWD doesn't help as much as those people think it does.

When I got my ID.4, I pretty much settled for the RWD model for cost and availability reasons with the added range being a bonus. At the time (it may still exist but I haven't checked since I'm no longer in the market for buying for now), NJ had tax incentives for EVs that offered $4k for anything with an MSRP of $45k or under but only $2k for anything between $45k and $55k. It just so happens that the RWD ID.4 qualifies for the full incentive but any AWD model only gets half the incentive at most. I figured that the snow that I get in this part of Jersey or anywhere I would be traveling to wasn't bad or frequent enough to warrant paying that much more for AWD. Also, I think there was a higher demand for the AWD models and this was back when the availability of new cars was still tight so the RWD models had a slightly shorter waiting time for availability.

The added range is nice to have though it's not something that I've consciously noticed. The biggest thing I've noticed with going with RWD is a much tighter turning circle which was quite a new thing for me since I've only ever driven AWD and FWD cars up until now. That could be the hardest thing for me to give up if I have to make that choice again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

priznat posted:

It is, having a real snappy acceleration always makes me happy when I can lean on it and just launch or change direction quickly.

I was wondering what kind of driver it makes me, I am perfectly happy to just go along with traffic and I don’t change lanes to gain small time benefits, I don’t tailgate, but if the road opens up I looooove to go way above the limit. Always have to keep in mind the locations the cops like to patrol :haw: So far it is working out as I haven’t had a ticket in ages (knock wood)

I let the ACC do its thing 90% of the time, but there are roads I take where people don't know the speed limit is actually 55+ and you always get a set of cars taking it at 45 or even 35. It's nice to just suddenly Be Fast and get around that nonsense.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BYD Atto 3 first impressions:
Seats are really comfortable, but it sounds like the passenger side one has a squeaky rub on something which could get annoying. Might just need a bit of position adjustment.
I like how the gauge cluster is mounted to The steering column, so it's always fully in view regardless of wheel adjustment and your height.
It has 3 shock cords across the door bin to contain whatever you put in there. The are tuned like bass strings and you can play a tune on them. Remarkably, the passenger side ones are tuned to the same notes.
Reverse+360 camera is really excellent.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 12, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Three Olives posted:

Basically the whole US transition became massive dumb political argument on both sides completely unmoored from the fact that the US is going to make a transition to EVs.

You just can't have a rational conversation about it in the US until there are enough EVs in place where it isn't a political issue and that is happening, just slower that people hoped and than needs to happen.

My father-in-law is a Trump voting, Fox News watching, massive gas guzzling $60k truck driver with absolutely no need for a massive truck that thinks our Mach-E is the coolest thing in the world once he actual drove it and we showed him actual numbers on how much it costs to charge.

He's never going to buy one but he realized that Fox News was lying to him about us being brainwashed liberal that got tricked into buying a horrible useless car that wasn't fun to drive and cost $20 a day to charge.

Well, I have to walk that back, Fox News has seeped back into his brain as of mothers day. Apparently Biden spent $15 billion dollars on two charging stations and if we can go to space the "geniuses" designing electric cars should be able to design an electric car that charges itself when it drives like a gas car.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Its odd that people think that China, with 4x the population of the US and the manufacturing hub of the world can only produce low-end EVs

Pro-tip: They will supply everything from the cheapest, nastiest barely-a-car to Rolls Royce rivals if they think there are sufficient buyers in overseas markets

Like luxury SUV EVs and 1000hp+ EV sports cars already exist from brands we've never heard of

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 13, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

China still has the Volt in several different versions

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ROFLBOT posted:

Its odd that people think that China, with 4x the population of the US and the manufacturing hub of the world can only produce low-end EVs

Pro-tip: They will supply everything from the cheapest, nastiest barely-a-car to Rolls Royce rivals if they think there are sufficient buyers in overseas markets

Like luxury SUV EVs and 1000hp+ EV sports cars already exist from brands we've never heard of

"Made in China" is printed prominently on all of the cheap garbage that American retailers love to import, that's why Steve Jobs ensured that iPhone shells would be made somewhere else (India iirc)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The iPhone has always said 'Designed in California, Assembled in China'

I think the only ones that say 'Assembled in India' are the models actually assembled there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can't one simple trick around country of origin labelling laws like that. Well, I did notice that my Tesla UMC has no indication of where it's made at all.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I know these parts aren’t particularly Tesla friendly mostly on account of the idiot king running things but I recently got updated to the newest version of FSD 12 and it is miles better than where it was in December. Still wouldn’t trust it enough to not be ready for it to gently caress up and still wouldn’t pay 100$/month for it but just wanted to provide a single data point for everyone.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ROFLBOT posted:

It isn't a "China can only make low-end cars" thing so much as it is a "low-end cars are by far the easiest thing to break into a new market with" one.

Trying to compete directly against the Established Companies is very difficult. People are likely to be quite reluctant to buy a car with "Hongqi" on the side of it if it costs the same and has a similar feature set to a familiar name like Ford or Chevrolet or Honda - they don't have any associations with the name to give it value.

People looking for a bargain and noticing that there's something smaller and a little less featured that costs $10K less? That's a place you can get a foothold in.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I do not deny this at all.

edit: meanwhile in China

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7367414243295104299
hmm interesting. does it crush into a stomped-on soda can if you glance at a utility pole

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hmm interesting. does it crush into a stomped-on soda can if you glance at a utility pole

:rolleyes:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Regarding China made EVs, what is the goonhive opinion on the Volvo ex30 coming this summer? My 2012 Volvo is on its last legs and looking to go ev for my next car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

No, BYDs are now up near the top of the Euro NCAP ratings.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
just plugging in my ev

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

This may come to a shock to you, but China is capable of manufacturing high quality products. Stop stereotyping.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Regarding China made EVs, what is the goonhive opinion on the Volvo ex30 coming this summer? My 2012 Volvo is on its last legs and looking to go ev for my next car.

In summary, people like the design, the price point and the driving performance, but people really hate the lack of instrument panel and over-reliance on the central iPad for everything.

Also, it’s on the smaller end of what you could actually call a SUV.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Freezer posted:

In summary, people like the design, the price point and the driving performance, but people really hate the lack of instrument panel and over-reliance on the central iPad for everything.

Also, it’s on the smaller end of what you could actually call a SUV.

From what I’ve seen, a lot of people are disappointed with its range/efficiency.

I wonder if something more is going wrong with it too as Volvo has given essentially zero updates to people who preordered (and dealers, as far as I can tell) in the US.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping they're taking the time to make the software better and improve on some of the early criticisms...I hope.

I like small cars and don't care much about super long range or efficiency so I've been looking forward to this car very much. The janky software has been a big cause of concern for me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Let's have a looksee under the hood of this here Atto 3, see what makes it tick...

Hmm, yes, very electric...

Also upside down for some reason. Maybe because I'm in Australia.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 13, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The car’s software has been buggy — the latest update killed internet access for a bunch of people — and the steering wheels buttons are poop. And the efficiency problems. Otherwise the car seems to be pretty much what it says it is: a compact SUV controlled entirely by touch screen.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I'm hoping they're taking the time to make the software better and improve on some of the early criticisms...I hope.

I like small cars and don't care much about super long range or efficiency so I've been looking forward to this car very much. The janky software has been a big cause of concern for me.

Rumors are Kia is bringing the EV3 to the states, so there might be a boxy contender.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I dont care if this is a joke, it's a dumb rear end one that frankly can be viewed as racist - besides Chinese cars actually have good to 5 star ratings these days. They arent some badly made tin cans.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it's great that chinese cars have evidently improved their safety, but it was not that long ago that they were absurdly unsafe. I think it's one thing to come in here and accuse me of having out of date information (fair) and another to accuse me of being racist, or some weasel phrase like "could be viewed as racist," because I said a mean thing about your favorite new car

Elviscat posted:

No, BYDs are now up near the top of the Euro NCAP ratings.
is a perfectly sufficient way to accomplish this without lowering the quality of the thread. it turns out they are and I stand corrected, but that doesn't make me a car racist.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The worry I see with a Chinese EV is the continuous integration and data feeds back to the manufacturer. That's part of the reasoning behind the attempted TikTok ban, as far as I understand it. Any Chinese company's data is going to be accessed by the CCP whenever the government asks for it, so any Chinese EV you buy is going to eventually feed every bit of its data back the CCP.

And then there's all of the tensions over Taiwan. If Xi gets in in his head that the reconquest of Taiwan is worth more to his vision of the long-term health or identity of China than all of the massive economic calamity it will cause, then we have cars manufactured by a country that will be subjected to a total economic embargo. Good luck getting parts!

This isn't in the same camp as concerns over Japanese cars in the 70s. The worries aren't about uneasiness caused by the country of origin's past actions; rather, it's all about what China might do in the future.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does the same argument apply to other products made in china, not just EVs? Can CCP access data from Apple/Alphabet because that's where the products are made?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Probably if you install software that lets it, hardware doesn't do anything by itself.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kvantum posted:

The worry I see with a Chinese EV is the continuous integration and data feeds back to the manufacturer. That's part of the reasoning behind the attempted TikTok ban, as far as I understand it. Any Chinese company's data is going to be accessed by the CCP whenever the government asks for it, so any Chinese EV you buy is going to eventually feed every bit of its data back the CCP.

But doesn't that data issue affect American cars in equal amount. There was just news about GM selling the data to brokers. There is probably better chance that a Chinese company won't sell your data to your insurer.

GM stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

I know these parts aren’t particularly Tesla friendly mostly on account of the idiot king running things but I recently got updated to the newest version of FSD 12 and it is miles better than where it was in December. Still wouldn’t trust it enough to not be ready for it to gently caress up and still wouldn’t pay 100$/month for it but just wanted to provide a single data point for everyone.

I don't have any idea what version I'm on. I vacillate between thinking it really has improved a lot and being infuriated that, for instance, it refuses to slow down when I tell it to or when the speed limit decreases.

I have a 4.5-hour trip this afternoon. I'm expecting that at some point I will rage-disable FSD. We'll see.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kvantum posted:

Oh no the Chinese intelligence community might get data that western intelligence thinks rightfully belongs to them. Poor NSA might have to work a little harder e.g., to determine who thinks Palestinians are people for their weekly report to Mossad. :qq:

Saukkis posted:

But doesn't that data issue affect American cars in equal amount.

It’s just pure Sinophobia. Probably not OP’s fault exactly, presumably they just consume a lot of western corporate media which pushes stuff like the insane Taiwan takes constantly. The Facebook grandpa problem basically.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 13, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Loucks posted:

Oh no the Chinese intelligence community might get data that western intelligence thinks rightfully belongs to them. Poor NSA might have to work a little harder e.g., to determine who thinks Palestinians are people for their weekly report to Mossad. :qq:
Wait how did Jews all of the sudden get dragged in to this?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Saukkis posted:

But doesn't that data issue affect American cars in equal amount. There was just news about GM selling the data to brokers. There is probably better chance that a Chinese company won't sell your data to your insurer.

GM stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash

Who do we trust less in this situation: our insurance company, or the CCP? What proof is there that in the event of war over Taiwan, the CCP won't order their manufacturers to just remotely brick any EVs sold to the US? Yes, of course that's insane and kills their entire reputation and business model for decades, but so would the invasion itself to begin with. Put it this way, I have more faith in shame over its actions affecting my insurance company than I do the CCP.

I just want a nice, safe, functional 4-seater EV with 300 miles/500 km of range and a decent charging network in the US, without an overtly radical idealogue running the company, or sketchy geopolitical entanglements in its manufacturing. Sadly, for now, it seems like that's not really something available.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Rusty posted:

Wait how did Jews all of the sudden get dragged in to this?

Conflating Zionists and Jewish people is gross, but the example was in reference to the recent stories about the US sharing spy data with Israel so they could more efficiently drop bombs on civilians. The point was that western intelligence is constantly doing domestic spying and they obviously can’t be trusted with that data as a counterpoint to the handwringing over “CCP” getting access to user data. It wasn’t an attempt to start a derail about Palestine.

e: as for me I give all my data to Elon Musk :v:

Loucks fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 13, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Loucks posted:

Conflating Zionists and Jewish people is gross, but the example was in reference to the recent stories about the US sharing spy data with Israel so they could more efficiently drop bombs on civilians. The point was that western intelligence is constantly doing domestic spying and they obviously can’t be trusted with that data as a counterpoint to the handwringing over “CCP” getting access to user data. It wasn’t an attempt to start a derail about Palestine.
I didn't conflate anything. You for some reason think Israeli intelligence is controlling the NSA or something. And Zionism just means Jewish people should have a country. Seems nuts to me to drag Israel in to a completely unrelated conversion, but whatever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: never mind. I fully agree with Loucks.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
loving turn left, thread