Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Su-Su-Sudoko posted:

code:
stringAndIntList :: [Either String Int]

what is this? looks interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Asymmetrikon posted:

i feel bad for the people that have to clean up after you.

i feel bad for the guy who has to pay you overtime for staring at UML diagrams for hours, trying to find a way around not being able to have multiple inheritance.

also i love how most of the guys at my old work were so proud to finally find an architecture that makes sense, when in reality they're just trying to solve limitations dictated by the language itself

"look at me! i'm writing a UserFactoryFactory which implements IFactory and IUser! i'm so good at writing c# code!"

in the meantime, i feel that with js i can just write functionnal code without just pressing tab a million times ... because just try writing poo poo in a strictly-typed language without intellisense-type tools. all that boilerplate wouldn't have to be written in the first place if the language was a bit more flexible, no?

welp, that's my rant. thanks everyone ill be here all night

e: i've worked as a c# dev for 3 years ... that's not long to most people's standards but it was enough for me to want to go back to dynamic languages. besides if you do proper unit testing in js all of these "problems" get caught early on ... just lol if you don't have a proper environment for that type of thing

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 8, 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

go play outside Skyler posted:

i feel bad for the guy who has to pay you overtime for staring at UML diagrams for hours, trying to find a way around not being able to have multiple inheritance.

also i love how most of the guys at my old work were so proud to finally find an architecture that makes sense, when in reality they're just trying to solve limitations dictated by the language itself

"look at me! i'm writing a UserFactoryFactory which implements IFactory and IUser! i'm so good at writing c# code!"

in the meantime, i feel that with js i can just write functionnal code without just pressing tab a million times ... because just try writing poo poo in a strictly-typed language without intellisense-type tools. all that boilerplate wouldn't have to be written in the first place if the language was a bit more flexible, no?

e: i've worked as a c# dev for 3 years ... that's not long to most people's standards but it was enough for me to want to go back to dynamic languages. besides if you do proper unit testing in js all of these "problems" get caught early on ... just lol if you don't have a proper environment for that type of thing

source your quotes

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
multiple inheritance is bad. claiming that tests mitigate things that static analysis should catch is godawful.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

we've already had our "unit tests are just as good as static typing" slapfight this year.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

i mean, i agree, oop is also bad, but that's not an argument for javascript

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

what is this? looks interesting

it's the haskell type signature for a list where each item is an Either String Int,
so each element is a Left string or a Right int, then you match on both cases
whenever you want to do something with the elements

e.g.
code:
[Left "butt", Right 2, Right 4, Left "fart"]

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

that's something you believe, not necessarly a fact.

it's just a matter of opinion. apples and oranges.

js programmers like to mix numbers and strings and take the risk that something will go wrong at runtime. others like the compiler to catch these errors early on at the cost of writing more code.

i like js because it allows me to get poo poo done quickly when i know what i'm doing. i admit it's a little harder to maintain on a large scale than say c#, but i think you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket anyways.

what kind of software do you work on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

i'm sorry someone hurt you.

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

basically if you don't understand why static & strict typing is cool & good, go play with haskell or similar and come back when you've seen the light

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

alright i get it nobody here likes javascript. maybe i got a little too excited. sorry guys

i still think it ain't so bad

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Su-Su-Sudoko posted:

basically if you don't understand why static & strict typing is cool & good, go play with haskell or similar and come back when you've seen the light

alright maybe i will

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

FamDav posted:

what kind of software do you work on

the kind of software that doesn't need to handle serious business transactions and stuff, obviously. if something crashes or some data is lost, it's not that big of a deal in my field.

so i don't work on business or industrial applications and i would never recommend js for these things.

but when i write poo poo like games what i really care about is being able to work quickly and until now i feel that js has been the only language to give me that flexibility

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was gonna say that dynamic typing has its uses, but then I realized I cant think of any. any place we use dynamic typing today would be much better w/ static typing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

c# has dynamic typing now but no one uses it anyway because dynamic typing is so bad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sometimes I think about using it for interop stuff then i realise i should be using casts instead

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

c# has dynamic typing now but no one uses it anyway because dynamic typing is so bad

to me it felt more like dynamic typing was added as an afterthought . that's why it's kind of a hacked-together thing and it just doesn't make sense in a statically typed language like c#

e: kind of like adding a spoiler to a ford fiesta

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only place ive ever used dynamic in c# is dealing w/ javascript interop in things like signalr where you're binding a dynamic c# method to a call of that method on the js client.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

to me it felt more like dynamic typing was added as an afterthought . that's why it's kind of a hacked-together thing and it just doesn't make sense in a statically typed language like c#

e: kind of like adding a spoiler to a ford fiesta

it doesn't make sense because you have better options

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo they should have just had you define the interface statically and then expose it via the generated client soap style.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What's the deal with the popularity with Python at startups today? My last 8 or so interviewing companies have been Python shops. I don't get it, isn't the GIL a complete show stopper for many apps? It always seems a "above my pay grade" thing to the interviewers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

imo they should have just had you define the interface statically and then expose it via the generated client soap style.

can you get the soap stuff to work with non-wcf servers btw? it never seems to work for me

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

This looks legit great

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

I was gonna say that dynamic typing has its uses, but then I realized I cant think of any. any place we use dynamic typing today would be much better w/ static typing.

pretty much. as mainstream static type systems get more and more expressive and require less and less boilerplate, the actual use cases for dynamic typing are going to shrivel away. the popularity of things like typescript shows that even people who use ultra-dynamic plangs can appreciate that static checks are a useful tool that makes programmers' lives better.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

it would be kind of cool if there was a way to write an interface and then special-cast an object from interop as fulfilling that interface. not sure if that makes sense

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

look at me! i'm doing something ridiculously stupid in a dynamically typed programming language and expecting the results to have any meaning at all!

seriously though if you're doing this in JS you deserve any shitstorm that comes your way.

well yeah obviously that is a silly and contrived example. It just shows off a quirk of the language that people don't necessarily know or expect. I'm not advocating that anyone actually do something like that.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Soricidus posted:

pretty much. as mainstream static type systems get more and more expressive and require less and less boilerplate, the actual use cases for dynamic typing are going to shrivel away. the popularity of things like typescript shows that even people who use ultra-dynamic plangs can appreciate that static checks are a useful tool that makes programmers' lives better.

im wary of typescript because I feel it was invented by Microsoft to lock people in just a bit more. besides , i hate transpiled languages because what you write is not what's executed

swift however seems to be something I could get behind, with it's inferred typing... however I hate that apple decides to make breaking changes every 6 months

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 8, 2016

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MrMoo posted:

What's the deal with the popularity with Python at startups today? My last 8 or so interviewing companies have been Python shops. I don't get it, isn't the GIL a complete show stopper for many apps? It always seems a "above my pay grade" thing to the interviewers.

i don't know, but i don't like it. even the company i just joined (as a .net guy) seems to be moving towards python for everything.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

im wary of typescript because I feel it tas invented by Microsoft to lock people in just a bit more. besides , i hate transpiled languages because what you write is not what's executed

swift however seems to be a step in the right direction with it's inferred typing... however I hate that apple decides to make breaking changes every 6 months

swift does a really good job of it, but type inference isn't exactly new or unique to swift. c# has had it for ages, hell even java has some basic inference for generic collections.

that's not even getting into the ML-family languages a bit more off the beaten path.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

can you get the soap stuff to work with non-wcf servers btw? it never seems to work for me

yeah I do it all the time. probably the biggest problem you gotta watch out for is that if you're using cxf on the server side it doesn't generate actions for the methods by default so you end up w/ multiple methods w/ the same action which is a spec violation and wcf wont have it. since most people do cxf with a shared interface between client and server cxf has no problem ignoring action duplicates if it can match on other stuff

pointsofdata posted:

it would be kind of cool if there was a way to write an interface and then special-cast an object from interop as fulfilling that interface. not sure if that makes sense

well they do that in the runtime for p/invoke and wcf. you define your interface/method sigs and they get bound to the right place either at compile or runtime. In the case of SignalR I don't see why they couldn't have let you define an interface statically in the same way and then publish it into signalr with a backing implementation. Then the runtime would just publish the javascript client with those interface methods exposed. idk why they made it dynamic instead. it makes no sense.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I kinda like JavaScript because I do a lot of data viz work and a library like d3js is amazing for that, but I do feel I would be an order of magnitude as productive in a good language. but oh well, gotta spend those 8 hours at the office anyway so might as well be debugging JavaScript and CSS (which is even worse than JavaScript).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i can draw dialogs now and they just work, even automatically sending REDRAW events when the dialog exits to all the windows they covered

holy poo poo piss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol that's so cool

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

swift does a really good job of it, but type inference isn't exactly new or unique to swift. c# has had it for ages, hell even java has some basic inference for generic collections.

that's not even getting into the ML-family languages a bit more off the beaten path.

yeah but the difference is that swift actually feels less boilerplate-y to me.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

go play outside,

skyler

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hackbunny posted:

go play outside,

skyler

i'm really digging my new username

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

im wary of typescript because I feel it was invented by Microsoft to lock people in just a bit more. besides , i hate transpiled languages because what you write is not what's executed

lock you in to what? it's an open source product that runs wherever JavaScript runs. the language is basically JavaScript with type annotations and a little syntax sugar. also, if you're put off by "what you write is not what's executed" you are in for a treat if you ever dig into what optimizing compilers actually do.

transpile is such a goofy loving word. please don't use it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

transpiles is the diarrhea you get from hormones right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

i can draw dialogs now and they just work, even automatically sending REDRAW events when the dialog exits to all the windows they covered

does GEM not do this automatically?!

quote:

holy poo poo piss

• Locked thread