Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ok since we’re doing this I’m gonna get super controversial :

I kinda like the fake engine noise sounds the ioniq5N makes. Deal with it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

:mods:

I like the electric motor noises from my R1T tbh.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

I will not deal with it, you are disgusting.

But that's okay. Vroom vroom.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

There has to be some way to replace those fake engine noises with something funnier.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Loucks posted:

There has to be some way to replace those fake engine noises with something funnier.

Tesla already has the sound for it: farts

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Tesla already has the sound for it: farts

But enough about Elon’s tweets

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

But enough about Elon’s tweets

Nah that's diarrhea.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loucks posted:

Before the NHSTA clamped down on the fun, there were a lot of Teslas rolling around with the TIE fighter noise for their low-speed alert.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

And Zionism just means Jewish people should have a country.

This argument makes no sense given that more Jews live in the US than in Israel but whatever!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This argument makes no sense given that more Jews live in the US than in Israel but whatever!
if you say so.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Loucks posted:

I need to finally look into something that will let me do this for my car alarm. Really want to set it to a self-destruct warning and countdown.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Saukkis posted:

But doesn't that data issue affect American cars in equal amount. There was just news about GM selling the data to brokers. There is probably better chance that a Chinese company won't sell your data to your insurer.

GM stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash

This headline is misleadingly optimistic. GM stopped sharing data with those two data brokers. They did not say they would stop sharing with all data brokers, and did not say who else they might be sharing with.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Electric vehicles

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

priznat posted:

I do not like them, but after watching the Throttle House episode of it on track, I believe them when they say that while using it, you DO like the sounds.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Tayter Swift posted:

Electric vehicles

Chicken Wings

What's your favorite sauce? If it doesn't involve garlic, it is wrong.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Doom Rooster posted:

I do not like them, but after watching the Throttle House episode of it on track, I believe them when they say that while using it, you DO like the sounds.

Yeah it seemed pretty fun on the Nurburgring vids, like you get a bit of an audio cue about what the car is doing.

My car makes a noisy pinging car when reversing like it’s trying frantically to locate the Red October or something. I wonder if it is echolocating like a bat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Electric vehicles

We now have three of them sharing one Tesla 50A charger in the driveway. Junior coming home for the summer added the Bolt back in to the Model 3 / LEAF mix.

We have four, if you count my dad's Model Y.

It's a busy driveway.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That’s a slutty charger.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That’s a slutty charger.

:pervert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That’s a slutty charger.

The county uses your last year's electrical usage to determine how big a rooftop solar system you can install.

Hopefully we can get the numbers back up enough to make up for junior being away at college.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Question for other LiFePo battery havers: In terms of best practices for battery health my general understanding is that, as for all battery technologies, it's better keep SoC around 40-80% on a general day to day basis and the LiFePo batteries are good to charge up to 100% on a weekly basis, correct?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The data privacy nightmare that are modern cars is kind of a big mental block for me in terms of wanting to purchase a new safer vehicle that has ACC and heated/cooled seats. You probably have to go to vehicles that were still on 3G to avoid it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kvantum posted:

The worry I see with a Chinese EV is the continuous integration and data feeds back to the manufacturer. That's part of the reasoning behind the attempted TikTok ban, as far as I understand it. Any Chinese company's data is going to be accessed by the CCP whenever the government asks for it, so any Chinese EV you buy is going to eventually feed every bit of its data back the CCP.

the TikTok ban is 100% about kids being too pro-Palestine, and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Chicken Wings

What's your favorite sauce? If it doesn't involve garlic, it is wrong.

Blue low conductivity coolant with garlic

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Shut the gently caress up about Israel ITT, good lord we are NOT having that hornets nest here in AI

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My Ioniq 6 is in the shop today for a software recall related to the ICCU :negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Very funny to see someone unironically handwringing about Chinese EVs being bricked due to a war over Taiwan

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

cruft posted:

The county uses your last year's electrical usage to determine how big a rooftop solar system you can install.

Hopefully we can get the numbers back up enough to make up for junior being away at college.

...Why would the county want to prevent you from installing as big a solar array as you please? Isn't the excess just going back into the grid?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Muscle Tracer posted:

...Why would the county want to prevent you from installing as big a solar array as you please? Isn't the excess just going back into the grid?

No, because the grid is absolutely not set up well for distributed generation. A ton of incoming solar from residential neighborhoods can cause some problems, a small amount isn't a big deal.

Stuff like this may result in mid-day solar generation being completely wasted because we're unable to get it anywhere useful.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Twerk from Home posted:

No, because the grid is absolutely not set up well for distributed generation. A ton of incoming solar from residential neighborhoods can cause some problems, a small amount isn't a big deal.

Stuff like this may result in mid-day solar generation being completely wasted because we're unable to get it anywhere useful.

Yeah, it can cause a lot of frequency regulation problems too. I think modern inverters have made that better, but it's still a problem.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Loucks posted:

Posts from this thread or is that cruel and unusual punishment?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Posts from this thread or is that cruel and unusual punishment?

In the EV version of hell, the low-speed noise is just your own posts being read back to you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In the EV version of hell, the low-speed noise is just your own posts being read back to you

the EV version of Hell is just eternally reliving the Three Olives story about the MachE and the homeless guy, because unlike him you are capable of feeling shame

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trilobite terror posted:

the EV version of Hell is just eternally reliving the Three Olives story about the MachE and the homeless guy, because unlike him you are capable of feeling shame

you alternate between playing the character of 3O and playing the character of the homeless guy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's a 3O 4 paragraph description and justification for his touch screen toaster, read aloud by Gilbert Gottfried.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is going to rehire the supercharger team because apparently the CEO petulantly firing all of them was a bad idea.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/tesla-does-180-on-superchargers-rehiring-laid-off-staff-amid-new-plans/

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Question for other LiFePo battery havers: In terms of best practices for battery health my general understanding is that, as for all battery technologies, it's better keep SoC around 40-80% on a general day to day basis and the LiFePo batteries are good to charge up to 100% on a weekly basis, correct?

LiFePO is pretty darn resilient to being fully discharged - the individual batteries I am used to often are rated for 1000 cycles or more of 100% depth of discharge.

While I dont have experience with LFP batteries in EVs, I assume a modern EV battery management system with many cells should be at least as good as individual cells.

So yeah, maybe dont leave it at 0% or 100% for extended periods of time, but I certainly would lose sleep about regularly going under 40%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Loucks posted:

The ringa-ding-ding bwaaahhh scooter noise from that ancient Ferrari F1 thing and Crazy Frog.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

borkencode posted:

Tesla is going to rehire the supercharger team because apparently the CEO petulantly firing all of them was a bad idea.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/tesla-does-180-on-superchargers-rehiring-laid-off-staff-amid-new-plans/

Yep, I called it. Same loving thing they did when K-Dick went on a dumbass firing spree just before the Model 3 launched, they had to re-hire most of the people he fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any of those people who accept a rehire offer are idiots