Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: AI-generated pictures aren’t art

As a corollary, the AI "upscaled" video games and movies look like absolute garbage and it's embarrassing to see people recommend using them for new peeps. It's like people recommending those lovely HD texture packs that add a million greebles and gribgrobs and that gently caress the art direction right up.

Also LCDs and Plasma were a mistake and we need to go back to CRT's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think the closest thing I've had to a panic attack was being super crowded in on a tram when I lived in Germany. Everything started trembling once hte doors shut and I knew I couldn't get out, then I felt like my limbs just suddenly turned to jello and I briefly lost consciousness. Fortunately since I was cornered I just kind of slumped down into the corner so I think people probably just thought I was drunk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You fainted.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Obviously, but it was preceded by freaking out that I was boxed in.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You fainted.

…what would you say an incident where someone faints from fear is called?

Some sort of Fear Incident? A Panic Episode?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I would call it fainting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The reason my 2012 'anxiety attack' lasted a whole month was due to (1) my brain's autistic wiring, (2) it's tendency to perseverate and repeat percieved threats inside my head, and (3) my tendency back then to go 'yes everyone says it's bullshit and will not happpen.....but what if???'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Stop invalidating other people's experiences with anxiety, stress and panic attacks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Stop invalidating other people's experiences with anxiety, stress and panic attacks.

Not a problem at all, my good mod. There’s dozens of other things I can and will invalidate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Every Olympic games should have more events than the previous one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Olympic Games shouldn’t exist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

thetoughestbean posted:

The Olympic Games shouldn’t exist

Oh yeah there's other stuff, like they should always take place in a single purpose-built city, which would eliminate a lot of the corruption and waste and homelessness that they currently bring to the host cities. But they should also have way more events.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1) Sponsoring sports in any way should be illegal.

2) Anglo publishers should stop with the insanely stupid numbers game and just print "Nth impression YYYY" in every book.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jun 5, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

As a corollary, the AI "upscaled" video games and movies look like absolute garbage and it's embarrassing to see people recommend using them for new peeps. It's like people recommending those lovely HD texture packs that add a million greebles and gribgrobs and that gently caress the art direction right up.

Also LCDs and Plasma were a mistake and we need to go back to CRT's

What struck me in the latest AI art thread is how much the output does look like one specific type of art. It looks like the piles and piles of 'professional workflow' portfolio concept art for Hollywood and video games you find on places like artstation.

So yeah IMO it can't create art, but it can create uninspired regurgitation of such ideas of 'crashed spaceship', 'girl with sword', 'mountain castle' as good as or better than industry artists touting for work online.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Art, as it exists to communicate between artist and people viewing it, is always going to have differences about what it is or not. But I think a lot of stuff about how things "are" or "aren't" art comes down to personal preferences masquerading as objectivity.

Saying that, one of the few art styles I really dislike is Pop art. Warhol in particular creates stuff with no soul and no meaning. Wizard on the side of a van art has more to tell you about the artist in a positive capacity than any Warhol does. But I still don't think I couldn't call it art. Its just shite.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I always figured art is an expression of an emotion, idea, or feeling that an artist wants to convey through whatever medium they've chosen. AIs don't have feelings so what they make may be pretty or neat, but I wouldn't consider it art.

Maybe if AI's become sentient I'll change my mind, but I truly don't believe that will ever happen. We tend to think we're smarter than we actually are and I don't think anyone is going to be smart enough to program consciousness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you have to argue about if it's art, it's art.

Also, summer sucks loving rear end and sun likers should be shamed.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I can be swayed on the "if you're discussing it, then it's art" opinion, but summer rules.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

summer sucks loving rear end and sun likers should be shamed.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Autumn is the best season. I just want forever autumn, the day lengths asymptotically progressing toward solstice but never reaching winter. Like a Bizarro Narnia.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

nationalism, the idea that people should be ruled by people who share their national identity, is just legitimized racism/xenophobia. The only exception is nationalism used for decolonization.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
"When nationalistic thinking reaches conclusions I dislike, it is bad, but when nationalistic thinking reaches conclusions I like, then it is good'.

Promoting a common identity/set of principles/ideology can be a good thing IMO, and is done all of the time. That might be the main goal of the SA Forums moderation, to use this website as one example.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

silence_kit posted:

"When nationalistic thinking reaches conclusions I dislike, it is bad, but when nationalistic thinking reaches conclusions I like, then it is good'.

Promoting a common identity/set of principles/ideology can be a good thing IMO, and is done all of the time. That might be the main goal of the SA Forums moderation, to use this website as one example.

common identity is great as long as anyone can be a part of it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

silence_kit posted:

PHUO: Results matter more than the path taken to get there.

No matter the merits of democratic representation and reflection of the electorate, a democracy that freely and cleanly votes in Mitch McConnell is worthless.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Most people living in the EU are nationalists to the extreme and would view the idea of being ruled by a "non-national" as an existential threat.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

When there are actually some shared values and a feeling of pride and common purpose, I don't see the problem. That seems to be vanishingly rare now as politics becomes utterly bitter and people take up completely indefensible positions to own the libs.

Combined with a fair immigration policy I don't think nationalism has to be aggressively exclusionary.

That said I have always resented the left wing focus on 'communities' for the exact same reason so maybe I'm just being a hypocrite. Do you get welcomed into ~the community~ just because you live and work somewhere for years? Not in my experience.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Americans hate my wife because she's a mail order russian slut who wants to give Vova a five dollar handy and my wife's family hates me because I'm a bought-and-sold western jew corrupting proud slavic stock.

I think nationalism should be expunged cuz it's loving stupid and inevitably leads to bigotry.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I guess the question is whether top down aggressive humanism would actually cure poo poo people

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Strategic Tea posted:

When there are actually some shared values and a feeling of pride and common purpose, I don't see the problem. That seems to be vanishingly rare now as politics becomes utterly bitter and people take up completely indefensible positions to own the libs.

Combined with a fair immigration policy I don't think nationalism has to be aggressively exclusionary.

That said I have always resented the left wing focus on 'communities' for the exact same reason so maybe I'm just being a hypocrite. Do you get welcomed into ~the community~ just because you live and work somewhere for years? Not in my experience.

I think the issue is that a lot of nationalism today is essentially "blood nationalism," membership by birth.

that combined with climate crisis is recipe for atrocity

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
People self-organize into groups, and nationalism is just one example of that. As a way of doing things, it's probably better than some and worse than others.

FishBulbia posted:

Most people living in the EU are nationalists to the extreme and would view the idea of being ruled by a "non-national" as an existential threat.

How would this "non-national" achieve the position to rule anyone? If you do not have the permission, and indeed the request, of someone to rule them, you can only have that position through violence (or the threat of it).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

People self-organize into groups, and nationalism is just one example of that. As a way of doing things, it's probably better than some and worse than others.

How would this "non-national" achieve the position to rule anyone? If you do not have the permission, and indeed the request, of someone to rule them, you can only have that position through violence (or the threat of it).

Weird how you default to the assumption that say a syrian living in Germany wouldn't possibly get to be leader of the ruling party but go off, it definitely shows that nationalism doesn't exist in the EU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That wasn't what I said. If they did have the request to rule Germany, they would be a "national" by the definition I was using.

*it is completely irrelevant what their place of birth, culture, or anything else is. If they have the support of the nation they are not "non-national" anymore.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jun 5, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

doverhog posted:

You do have a good point. Europe is a lot less diverse than it was thanks to all the murder and cultural genocide.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

doverhog posted:

That wasn't what I said. If they did have the request to rule Germany, they would be a "national" by the definition I was using.

They'd be seen as a non-German German citizen.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If that's the case it's sad but does not alter what I said about the ideas being talked about.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All this is why I only hold allegiance to fictional countries, and not very serious ones at that. So on any given day I might swear my undying loyalty to Dictionopolis, San Seriffe, Pottsylvania, or Phaic Tăn.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today I learned John D Rockefeller gave 10% of his earnings to charity from the moment he became a business clerk, respected women, helped a freedman buy his wife out of slavery, all before he turned 20 in 1859.

I'm reading his biography and I no longer think he's completely evil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
We need to go back to the villains in all movies being wealthy white men with non-specific European accents.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The villains should be enemy nations illegally enriching uranium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress it just make them all Austrian