Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's also Kanaya, who wishes to further her race, but doesn't want to see them under a tyrannical dictator again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I mean, there is the whole "Sea Hitler's Water Apocalypse" thing where she destroyed all of human civilization...

We had it coming.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Nobody deserves a future under ICP and Fieri.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cthulhuchan posted:

Nobody deserves a future under ICP and Fieri.

I've seen the future, and it is lightly sauteed, distressed, and served football style by a guy with Ed Hardy tattoos at a distance of fifteen feet. Comes with a side of Faygo jus and papas frites al debonair.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Brain Ghost Mind Splinter Dirk is back and somehow Jake's ridiculous sentient untapped potential knows what his god-tier outfit looks like. The alpha kids sure are weird.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jane's... daughter?

... Does she mean GCAT?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
e: ^^^^^^^^^
Dog-Jade, her ecto-daughter. Kinda hosed up!

life_source posted:

Hasn't the Condesce been using subliminal messaging targeted directly towards Jane for her whole life?

Evil Jane is just regular Jane with years of evil education coming to the forefront. Also something about her being super logical now?

She's 'logical'.

Also, quick question:

quote:

JAKE: (But i do believe in you.)
JAKE: (I believe in everybody!)

DIRK: Yeah right.
DIRK: You've never really believed in anyone your whole life, and you know it.
DIRK: Everything's always about you. Don't you remember? You already had this epiphany, dingus.

This was an offscreen epiphany, right?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Jane's... daughter?

... Does she mean GCAT?

Jade, probably.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

PleasingFungus posted:

This was an offscreen epiphany, right?

Didn't he have that right before they all went god-tier?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
That happened during the great Act 5 2X combobob with the two screens.

quote:

GT: You know how you think you know these things about yourself?
GT: Like all these personal attributes about you as if theyre written down somewhere like a sort of mini biography so they have to be true.
GT: So you just believe them and hope that the believing is what makes them true.
GT: But then you spend so much time believing those things and taking their truth for granted that you somehow forget to MAKE them true with your words and deeds.
GT: How can i truly love adventure when i never even knew what it was?
GT: I dont think its raiding tombs and clobbering scoundrels.
GT: That stuffs fun and all but thats not what adventure is.
GT: Adventure is...
GT: Its something else.
GT: Its doing the things im genuinely afraid to do.
GT: But cant.
GT: Because im a coward.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Color Printer posted:

Jade, probably.

That's my reading of it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In other news, Jake's hope powers being able to make things More Real is made explicit. Yay.

PleasingFungus posted:

e: ^^^^^^^^^
Dog-Jade, her ecto-daughter. Kinda hosed up!

Yeah, pretty hosed up. I didn't even think of that possibility.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

God, Jake really is just utterly pathetic.

Though Janes comments about his attractiveness are increasingly hilarious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Jake doesn't realize how pulpy his situation is. The Robot Princess of the Alien Empire wants to make him her love-slave.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I mean, I don't think Jake is pathetic so much as reacting like almost any fifteen/sixteen year old boy would act. The rest of the kids, really, are pretty superhuman. I'm surprised more of them haven't had a breakdown like him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

I mean, I don't think Jake is pathetic so much as reacting like almost any fifteen/sixteen year old boy would act. The rest of the kids, really, are pretty superhuman. I'm surprised more of them haven't had a breakdown like him.

I think most of them have.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I think most of them have.

See, but that was funny and about Crocker bullshit. Not so much about his dad dying and his entire life and the world being taken from him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone pointed out once that Jake is basically the Token Girl character from any given pulp or comic-book story from the 70s to the 90s, but a dude. I think this update pretty much clinches that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

Someone pointed out once that Jake is basically the Token Girl character from any given pulp or comic-book story from the 70s to the 90s, but a dude. I think this update pretty much clinches that.

...right down to the unneccessarily skimpy outfit. It's perfect.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I was imagining when Jane said "absolutely not", she meant "because i want to keep looking at your crotch", and I am amused to find that this is literally true.

VVVVV Yeah, they never really seemed to underline how creepy that behavior was.

Jazu fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 20, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It kind of sucks to be Jake. I mean, it sucks to be any the kids, but it's especially noticeable for Jake right now. Almost the relationship problems he had are, despite his being a huge dork, not actually his fault; Jane refused to tell him her feelings until it was too late, while Dirk emotionally and physically bullied him into a relationship and generally acted like a creep. (Tangent, this is a reason that the whole pre-God Tier revelation session kind of pissed me off; both Dirk and Jane talked about how stupid their crushes on Jake were, but they also both put the blame on him when most of the hosed-upness of what happened was because they are terrible at proper communication (and in Dirk's case a horrible person).) As a result of those things and their subsequently going from "terrible" to "really terrible", Jake started hating himself and thinking he's such a horrible friend. Then immediately after that everything went (more) to poo poo and now Jake's being verbally abused by his brainwashed (former?) friend, who is threatening him with, among other things, sexual abuse. (Tangent again, why the hell does that keep happening to Jake? First we have Dirk's molest-o-bot, then Dirk manipulating Jake into kissing his head, and now this. It's honestly really creepy.)

Basically, Jake is indeed a huge dork who needs to start thinking about other people, but wow does he not deserve this.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.
Jade had her freakouts after being confronted with the horrorterrors and having to deal with Jadesprite. Rose had her grimdark phase and her drinking problem. Karkat lost it during the rendezvous at the Green Sun, and again when Dave and Terezi started dating. John raged so hard he passed out while crossing the Yellow Yard. Terezi had her Faygo-fueled fling with Gamzee. Jane had the attack of depression that led her to use the lollipop Juju. Currently, Dave is frantically shoosh-papping the mayor and Kanaya is guzzling "potions" like they're about to close the blood bank. So far, I think Roxy and Dirk are the only major characters who haven't had some kind of humiliating emotional breakdown. (Which means they're next.)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Grand Gigas posted:

Its just that literally every other character has more of a backbone than him. I just don't understand how he can be so stupid, insensitive and cowardly when John and Jade are both intelligent, sensitive and exceedingly brave individuals.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Nephthys posted:

Its just that literally every other character has more of a backbone than him. I just don't understand how he can be so stupid, insensitive and cowardly when John and Jade are both intelligent, sensitive and exceedingly brave individuals.

I would like to remind you that Jake once experienced a mental breakdown over Fruit Gushers, and that Jade had to give her own dreamself "snap-out-of-it" slaps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is getting pretty weird!

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

I'm not sure if he's really reacting that much, or if it's just that most of the plot happens through chatroom dialog, so Jake is actually saying "A bloo bloo bloo." and it reads weird as hell.

Actually, the four original kids never really had much conflict between them, while Jane and co's social circle frayed quite a bit over several months. Even with evil-Jade, the beta kinds probably don't feel as alienated from each other as Jake feels from everyone.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DSPaul posted:

I would like to remind you that John once experienced a mental breakdown over Fruit Gushers, and that Jade had to give her own dreamself "snap-out-of-it" slaps.

Yeah, I know but that was just a silly moment for John and when things have gotten serious he's shown himself to be brave and selfless, at least twice that I can recall running into danger for people he doesn't even know. And dreamself!Jade is quite a bit different from the girl who once threw John selflessly out of danger at the cost of the own life.

Comparatively we have Jake cowering on the floor at the girl who punched him while in the next room we have Roxy sassing the girl threatening to teleport her guts out and kill her repeatedly.

Its fine if you think its just realistic for Jake to be acting like this, but cowardice is still a pretty negative character trait to have, and at the moment Jakes got a hell of a lot of those, hence why I call him pathetic.

VVV

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is this where we bring the "Jake is literally brain damaged" theories back out?

God no. I guess I just think he's naturally kinda dumb. John's goofy and can be dumb, but he's never struck me as actually stupid like Jake has. He's deceptively quick on the uptake and fairly insightful as shown in his birthday letters.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 20, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jane is as good at being logical as Jade is at being evil. It's been said already but it's so very cool how they avoided the typical "corrupted hero" cliches in that Jade is still herself with "evil" switched on and Jane is just completely uninhibited (in a different way than trickster Jane was) and mostly convinced herself that she's a super-logical machine woman now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nephthys posted:

Is this where we bring the "Jake is literally brain damaged" theories back out?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

or depending on your transparency preferences.
Also this was totally drawn by a Simpsons/Futurama artist.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Evil Jane (and possibly also regular Jane) is now voiced by Tress MacNeille.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

DaveKap posted:

or depending on your transparency preferences.

This is just begging for the Corinthian treatment.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Wow, so in rereading Act 6, I'm realizing that Dirk is just as much of an abusive toolbag (I mean he means well but he's still lovely) as Bro. And gently caress, Roxy is still great, but I'm def seeing more flaws in here. Rereading Act 6 is almost like a completely different experience for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Roxy is the only good Beta Kid.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Roxy is the only good Beta Kid.

Even Roxy can be selfish and emotionally manipulative. See: pestering Dirk about romance for years, blowing up Jane's computer and Jane apologizing to her about it, the gun that lets her nick things from her friends. She's at her best with Calliope, from whom she doesn't want anything except friendship (and vice versa), and at her worst with Dirk, because of her refusal to respect the boundaries he's drawn (exacerbated by his tendency to act like he's her parent or something, instead of her peer).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Iny posted:

Even Roxy can be selfish and emotionally manipulative. See: pestering Dirk about romance for years, blowing up Jane's computer and Jane apologizing to her about it, the gun that lets her nick things from her friends. She's at her best with Calliope, from whom she doesn't want anything except friendship (and vice versa), and at her worst with Dirk, because of her refusal to respect the boundaries he's drawn (exacerbated by his tendency to act like he's her parent or something, instead of her peer).

Theres also the bit where she 'jokes' about making a move on Jake right after Janes big blowup at him. Which was an incredibly insensitive and poorly timed thing to mention to Jane.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

DSPaul posted:

So far, I think Roxy and Dirk are the only major characters who haven't had some kind of humiliating emotional breakdown. (Which means they're next.)
Roxy arguably started out in a breakdown with the alcoholism. But at the rate Arquius is going, I imagine it won't be long til Dirk snaps.

One odd thing about Jake is how very different he seems from Grandpa Harley right now. It's hard to imagine him like this.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gosh, it's almost like these characters have flaws and negative personality traits.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Nephthys posted:

God no. I guess I just think he's naturally kinda dumb. John's goofy and can be dumb, but he's never struck me as actually stupid like Jake has. He's deceptively quick on the uptake and fairly insightful as shown in his birthday letters.

I do love that John immediately figured out the card combining thing, and wrote a whole essay about the mathematical implications. I hope alpha John made the alpha equivalent of "Modern Times", only it was somehow all about general relativity or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
John is definitely smarter than some give him credit for, but I feel that is especially the case since the time skip. He's still a goof, sure, but there have been quite a few things 16 year old John has said and done that I wouldn't expect out of 13 year old John.