Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, this. The only thing less interesting to me in a videogame than platforming, is platforming in first person.

Look at this guy who has never experienced the magic of counterstrike surf maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Earlier in the thread I questioned how active the Rift Wizard dev was. I'm going to have to eat my words because I apparently showed up at a weird post-patch lull -- Dylan has been pretty active and very responsive to community feedback and input, and it's clear that this is representative of how involved he's been throughout the game's development.

Here's roadmap update #7: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/2971794942820506652

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I like shooters well enough and I like roguelikes/lites so I gave Gunfire Reborn a try, wasn't really a fan and refunded it. Didn't like how enemies would spawn in around/behind you if you tried to actually push into a room, how weapon stats included damage per shot and ROF but not overall DPS (I'm not playing a shooter to do maths), or how the first boss appeared to be a ridiculous sack of HP with a regenerating shield who I could barely put a dent in. Was also a bit miffed that taking an option to upgrade a weapon's random mods doesn't upgrade the ones you have but rather gives you new ones of a higher rarity - I found a weapon that had chance to ignite and bonus damage to burning enemies so I was like "cool, synergy, this seems worth upgrading" and promptly broke the synergy for some poo poo mod I didn't care about.

Am I likely to enjoy robot shooter any more than furry shooter? I unlocked and fully upgraded everything in Hades so I'm not too bothered by metaprogression grind if I enjoy the core gameplay.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 24, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harminoff posted:

I grabbed it and it's pretty cool and intense. Indiana Jones simulator. Though performance is terrible so I get huge frame rate drops which isn't great when you are trying to raise through.

If you buy a month of the rockpapershotgun premium subscription ($8) you get a steam key for the game with it. If I can stomach the downside of supporting games journalists I might check it out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

goferchan posted:

If you buy a month of the rockpapershotgun premium subscription ($8) you get a steam key for the game with it. If I can stomach the downside of supporting games journalists I might check it out.

if you do that please send me text of this article
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/i-think-games-should-adopt-anime-openers

i am already infuriated by the snippets of it i can view. i need to see the whole thing because i don't know what the heck that guy is talking about so many video games have openers...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's that. Gambler 3 is an absolutely insane amount of single target damage if you don't spend your final gold. 24 and 25 both died pretty much instantly, their adds didn't even spawn.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snooze Cruise posted:

if you do that please send me text of this article
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/i-think-games-should-adopt-anime-openers

i am already infuriated by the snippets of it i can view. i need to see the whole thing because i don't know what the heck that guy is talking about so many video games have openers...

Congratulations. You fell right into their trap.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

Congratulations. You fell right into their trap.

i know.. .but it irrates me to no end!! sob sob

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Things seemingly taking a turn for the strange, at the least, with Ultimate ADOM as while the latest big Combat update has some heft to it...the full v1.0 release is now inscrutably slated for AUGUST 2021 and the roadmap has been updated in a way that pales in comparison to the sense of character and details outlined it had up until just recently.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1266820/view/2987556908483336690

I can only hope whatever has went wrong results in them handling what would've been the prior known roadmap as post-release support straight way---else this could look dire indeed and this is with my being one of the core optimistic folks...

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Seeing the ToME chat reminded me I promised to write 2 classes for the new DLC but am really struggling to motivate myself to complete them :smith:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Things seemingly taking a turn for the strange, at the least, with Ultimate ADOM as while the latest big Combat update has some heft to it...the full v1.0 release is now inscrutably slated for AUGUST 2021 and the roadmap has been updated in a way that pales in comparison to the sense of character and details outlined it had up until just recently.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1266820/view/2987556908483336690

I can only hope whatever has went wrong results in them handling what would've been the prior known roadmap as post-release support straight way---else this could look dire indeed and this is with my being one of the core optimistic folks...

Between the door bug and the infinite loading screen on downstairs bug I've been having trouble getting past a certain point without bugs making it impossible to advance. I'd hope that they're included in the miscellaneous minor bugfixes but uh yeah.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I didn't see it mentioned but apparently Roguebook handled the Apex Predator fuckup by releasing a "We hosed up" update where the Apex Predator thing is now free (I think I saw this part mentioned at least) and also they're refunding all purchases of the DLC itself, even if you got the Deluxe package.

So they listened and look to be doing a good job fixing things. Makes me happy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razakai posted:

Seeing the ToME chat reminded me I promised to write 2 classes for the new DLC but am really struggling to motivate myself to complete them :smith:

If it's any consolation "new Razakai class" is like the #1 thing that would bring me back to the game -- well, or maybe tied with "good lord revert the armor mechanics back to 1.5 already."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kchama posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but apparently Roguebook handled the Apex Predator fuckup by releasing a "We hosed up" update where the Apex Predator thing is now free (I think I saw this part mentioned at least) and also they're refunding all purchases of the DLC itself, even if you got the Deluxe package.

If you got the Deluxe package you have to refund the whole game. This is both good and bad, as you have to wait a day before you can play again but you can also wait for the next sale.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DrManiac posted:

Roguebook is much easier after I figured out you can skip the draft vault without losing gold.

I almost always take them because I love abusing the cards that are based on draw pile numbers whether it's providing damage or block. Also there is a final boss who dissolves a bunch of cards every now and then so it's good to have plenty. Usually have plenty of gold too since I do every fight in every chapter.

Abusing daggers, rage, allies and bleed seem like the most winning strategies to me. It's incredible when you've got nearly 100 bleed on a boss plus allies that do 50-90 damage every turn lol, that's before you've even played any cards

Arzaac posted:

They updated Roguebook and removed the ability to put Red Diamond on Flex. :sigh:

Probably for the best though. Looks like they're doing some balancing changes, apparently Sharra's underperforming quite a bit and Seifer's overperforming. Which, I mean, fair, lines up with my experiences. Though currently I don't think they're really making enough changes to make much of a difference, just a handful of cards. The Seifer changes in particular made me laugh, because 3 of them were cards that I didn't find to be particularly strong in the first place. Both Brimstone Needle and Krog's Dinner were made rarer, which is fair. Neither I don't think are particularly overpowering by themselves, but you could easily smash difficulty if you had more of them. In particular my last run had 3 Krog's Dinners and it made the game a bit of a joke; combined with other ally buffing cards, I usually would end up healing 20-30 HP every combat. Who even cares about blocking at that point, just take all the damage and heal it back later!

I know Roguebook got off to a rocky start but I feel like it's going in a good direction.

Yeah I've absolutely steamrolled a few runs with Sorocco and Seifer. High block, high damage, high bleed, high ally potential between the two. Also lots of cards based on draw pile that can be incredibly strong.

Is the turtle lady supposed to be a replacement for Sorocco? Because up to this point I pretty much always include him because no one else can muster enough block

Wafflecopper posted:

I like shooters well enough and I like roguelikes/lites so I gave Gunfire Reborn a try, wasn't really a fan and refunded it. Didn't like how enemies would spawn in around/behind you if you tried to actually push into a room, how weapon stats included damage per shot and ROF but not overall DPS (I'm not playing a shooter to do maths), or how the first boss appeared to be a ridiculous sack of HP with a regenerating shield who I could barely put a dent in. Was also a bit miffed that taking an option to upgrade a weapon's random mods doesn't upgrade the ones you have but rather gives you new ones of a higher rarity - I found a weapon that had chance to ignite and bonus damage to burning enemies so I was like "cool, synergy, this seems worth upgrading" and promptly broke the synergy for some poo poo mod I didn't care about.

Am I likely to enjoy robot shooter any more than furry shooter? I unlocked and fully upgraded everything in Hades so I'm not too bothered by metaprogression grind if I enjoy the core gameplay.

Roboquest doesn't include dps but only in certain end rooms do enemies get spawned, usually they are just there waiting for you. I like the sniper rifles.

It's not near done though afaict

Play fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 24, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Play posted:

Is the turtle lady supposed to be a replacement for Sorocco? Because up to this point I pretty much always include him because no one else can muster enough block

Both Aurora and Seifer I feel function well as Sorocco replacements. They've both got a pretty incredible amount of healing, so instead of blocking you can frequently just...take damage and heal it back up later. At the very least, that's what I did for my Seifer/Sharra run and it worked out pretty well.

Their forms of healing are pretty different too. Seifer's mostly seems to be there just to offset how much his kit wants him to take damage, so it's healing for the sake of healing. Aurora though, has an archetype based around doing damage every time you heal. Oh, and her starting relic is pretty awesome too, because it lets her heal back to full once per combat. Really the biggest downside is that she starts with only 20 HP, but thankfully she's also got cards that can increase her max HP.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I agree with missing a DPS indicator in Gunfire. It's a strange omission.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Arzaac posted:

Both Aurora and Seifer I feel function well as Sorocco replacements. They've both got a pretty incredible amount of healing, so instead of blocking you can frequently just...take damage and heal it back up later. At the very least, that's what I did for my Seifer/Sharra run and it worked out pretty well.

Their forms of healing are pretty different too. Seifer's mostly seems to be there just to offset how much his kit wants him to take damage, so it's healing for the sake of healing. Aurora though, has an archetype based around doing damage every time you heal. Oh, and her starting relic is pretty awesome too, because it lets her heal back to full once per combat. Really the biggest downside is that she starts with only 20 HP, but thankfully she's also got cards that can increase her max HP.

Cool... started a Sorocco/Aurora run last night then pretty quickly decided to drop it since they seemed like a bad fit together (it was my first time seeing Aurora's base cards and realizing what she is about). That's just too much blocking and not enough high damage stuff.

I think I will try Seifer/Aurora next time. That seems like a pretty promising combo

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I dunno, I was never bothered by a lack of DPS meter in Gunfire Reborn. The weapon stats are more there to give you an indication of what type of weapon it is, with the number of inscriptions that can modify/change drastically how much damage any given weapon can put out a DPS meter woulda been a nightmare to code I imagine. It's really about getting a feel for what weapons you like to use and what inscriptions are important to look for in finding a strong weapon.

Enemies all spawn from static locations, and pushing into an area before they've all spawned in is in fact, dangerous. Doesn't mean you can't do it though and my general playstyle is aggressive pushing to get to big threats in the back (any tall skinny dudes must die ASAP). This playstyle however is greatly aided by playing as the Bird or Bunny, both of whom can afford to be aggressive due to their personal talents. Strafing and jumping is key to surviving at any point in the game, as well as saving your dash for being out of position or getting away from melee enemies.

The first two bosses in Gunfire are designed to teach you the importance of having an elemental counter to their shield/armor. A lightning weapon will help immensely vs Lu Wu, and a corrosion weapon for Icky. Lu Wu's one big tip of course is you can shoot him while he's recharging his shield to help keep it low for when he tries to jump down and attack again.

I'm approaching 120 hours in Gunfire Reborn at this point and I think it's straight up one of my favorite FPS roguelikes in a long while, even more so after the most recent update. It's a very good game with a bunch of different, interesting, and unique playstyles, bogged down by the early grind of talents/unlocks and trying to get past Long Ling tomb for the first time. Thankfully you can get a co-op buddy to ease the early grind, but the early game putting off new players is unsurprising to me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think to add on to that, a DPS meter doesn't matter too much, because most characters want very specific things: Cat looks for high elemental effect chance, Bird and Tiger both want weapons with as much damage in a single shot as possible, and Bunny wants things that fire fast. It doesn't matter if I find an SMG with 50% more DPS than my shotgun as bird, I'm almost certainly sticking with the shotgun because all my ascension apply to that weapon.

I guess Dog would like it though, most weapons are compatible with dual wield. But idk, a lack of a dps stat has never really impacted my enjoyment of the game.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 24, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UADOM on sale, 25% off.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think Gunfire does a good enough job of emphasizing how important elemental combos are, and a handful of the early meta unlocks are really important.

It doesn't take long to get to that point, but gently caress lazy meta progression etc

(also I hate the jumping challenge rooms, they're absolute momentum poison in coop, in what is otherwise a great coop game)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

victrix posted:

(also I hate the jumping challenge rooms, they're absolute momentum poison in coop, in what is otherwise a great coop game)

These are gone for now as far as I can tell, I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes but I have not come across one in any of my runs for a while now.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

These are gone for now as far as I can tell, I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes but I have not come across one in any of my runs for a while now.

Nah they're still around, as are the ball vaults.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The ball ones I have seen plenty, but I have not seen the jumping puzzles in stage 2 or 3 in a couple dozen runs of the latest patch. They must just be a lot more rare.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The jumping puzzle vault in Duo Frejlord (world 3) has all but disappeared since a couple of patches ago. I've seen it like, once in over a dozen runs that make it there. The Desert stage ones show up fairly regularly though, and frankly they're pretty much free occult scrolls once you've learned the rote memorization of the jumping puzzle. I imagine they're pretty rough in co-op waiting for others, especially if the co-op buddies are learning the jumps. Cat struggles the most on them as well, being the slowest hero. Thankfully, Melee weapons provide +30% extra speed and you can share movement occult scrolls if those can help others pass.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Any thoughts on/experience with Tangledeep (currently on a pretty good Steam sale price)?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Any thoughts on/experience with Tangledeep (currently on a pretty good Steam sale price)?

It rules, extremely customizable experience and solid content

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's very good! One thing that a lot of people find stressful about it is that, by default, you can't rest - health and mana restores are produced by beating enemies. This forces you to budget your mana usage and damage taken over a run, though you'll always have enough stuff to work through it. I liked the dynamic that introduces but some people hate it, so if that sounds bad to you just go and turn it off in the game modifiers, and the game isn't really any worse for it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks! I'll definitely pick it up then, seems like a steal at this price.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Eight pages of it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879710

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

I don't think Gunfire does a good enough job of emphasizing how important elemental combos are, and a handful of the early meta unlocks are really important.

It doesn't take long to get to that point, but gently caress lazy meta progression etc

It's the typical thing you learn as you play a few runs, organically . That, and the critX/weak points importance. Weapons are usually accurate in this game, so if you have decent accuracy 90% of your shots can do much more damage than the normal body shots.
The game could say it in a tutorial, but dunno, I believe the current way where the player learns it by himself is better.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Evil Kit posted:

I dunno, I was never bothered by a lack of DPS meter in Gunfire Reborn. The weapon stats are more there to give you an indication of what type of weapon it is, with the number of inscriptions that can modify/change drastically how much damage any given weapon can put out a DPS meter woulda been a nightmare to code I imagine. It's really about getting a feel for what weapons you like to use and what inscriptions are important to look for in finding a strong weapon.

Yeah that was the smallest of my complaints really.

quote:

Enemies all spawn from static locations, and pushing into an area before they've all spawned in is in fact, dangerous. Doesn't mean you can't do it though and my general playstyle is aggressive pushing to get to big threats in the back (any tall skinny dudes must die ASAP). This playstyle however is greatly aided by playing as the Bird or Bunny, both of whom can afford to be aggressive due to their personal talents. Strafing and jumping is key to surviving at any point in the game, as well as saving your dash for being out of position or getting away from melee enemies.

The spawning was my biggest complaint and might not be so bad if there was any prior indication of where the spawn points were or how many spawns were left, unless there is and I just missed it. It still seems weird to me to have a mechanic that encourages you to hang around by the entrance at one end of the room and punishes you for trying a more mobile playstyle where you move around the room using different bits of cover except oops it's not cover any more because suddenly there's someone who didn't exist a moment ago shooting you in the back.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

The spawning was my biggest complaint and might not be so bad if there was any prior indication of where the spawn points were or how many spawns were left, unless there is and I just missed it. It still seems weird to me to have a mechanic that encourages you to hang around by the entrance at one end of the room and punishes you for trying a more mobile playstyle where you move around the room using different bits of cover except oops it's not cover any more because suddenly there's someone who didn't exist a moment ago shooting you in the back.

Yeah. This right here is a big problem with the game. I've been playing a lot of the Rabbit lately and it feels like she and the bird especially suffer for this game's tendency to just have a bunch of random bullshit spawn in out of nowhere after you pluck a couple kills. Once you get real familiar with the levels you can probably spot where they'll come in, but that hasn't stopped me from losing runs in Stage 3 because I killed a dude then suddenly a half-dozen lanterns spawned in and dropped down from the awning behind me and blew me up from behind within seconds because I had the gall to actually move out of the entryway. It'd be one thing if spawning enemies had any kind of unique audio cue or warm-up time but they don't and anything can do anything from the second they spawn in- about 60% of my Game Overs in solo runs are 'dangerous enemy spawns in somewhere I wasn't looking and immediately makes me eat poo poo without warning' and I really, really hate it. Just more of a reason why I'm really not enamored with Gunfire Reborn as a solo game.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it's any consolation "new Razakai class" is like the #1 thing that would bring me back to the game -- well, or maybe tied with "good lord revert the armor mechanics back to 1.5 already."

Thanks for the comment. One class I'd say is 90% done - there's a few talents that need replacing, and it shares one category with new necromancer which I'm swapping as there's some unexpected overpowered synergies resulting.
The other needs more work as it's ludicrously complicated. Which is often part of my classes but this one is just excessive.
And of course then they'll both be sent to one of the other developers to cut all the numbers in 1/2 cause I'm bad at balance.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Some clarity of a sort on Ultimate ADOM's unexpected bid for the future from the steam forums...not really going over well as one might well expect for any that have eyeballed both the Early Access ecosystem and the Roguelike scene in general even if PR is a minefield on the best of days:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1266820/discussions/0/3050607936297783937/

quote:

Hi everybody,
as you might know, software- and game development is hard to fully outline and foresee, where the journey goes, especially in terms of expectations from both players and developers.
The developers always strived to bring the hardcore Roguelike experience to the mainstream with Ultimate ADOM. Seeing that Steam Early Access somewhat limits the audience, Team ADOM thinks it will be the best to fully release the game to a broader audience.

In the upcoming weeks, the team will work tirelessly to streamline and enhance the combat and magic system to provide the best possible gaming experience at launch in August.

That being said Team ADOM ensures that content updates, hotfixes and more will still be provided post release.

Balancing the needs of the hardcore community with the desires of more casual players has proven to be a very interesting challenge and the team is looking forward to fulfill the needs of these very diverse target audiences.
The game established a great foundation of features and the goal is to not only further build upon these, but also provide more content and additional features in the future, to make Ultimate ADOM a worthy successor of the original ADOM and a staple in the mainstream Roguelike community.

I hope this helps. :)

-cheers

Hi everybody and thank you so much for your ongoing support and feedback.
We are really happy having you around!
With the above reasoning already in place and actually explaining in detail, why this has been decided, please be also assured, as stated in the text, there will still be a lot of things worked on until the release as well as after the release.
So please do not worry, that the game will be released as it is now, and it's done:
There will still be updates before the release, as also the roadmap indicated, as well as after, as stated already.
So stay tuned!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Play posted:

Cool... started a Sorocco/Aurora run last night then pretty quickly decided to drop it since they seemed like a bad fit together (it was my first time seeing Aurora's base cards and realizing what she is about). That's just too much blocking and not enough high damage stuff.

I think I will try Seifer/Aurora next time. That seems like a pretty promising combo

Sorocco and Aurora are EXTREMELY brutal and murderous together. I think they're actually the strongest pairing. Sorocco has a very strong thing where he does more attacks for every card played that turn and Aurora can give you infinite Energy AND infinite draw and she has healing and Power boost cards so you can just raise his Power sky-high and then have him do like 50 Mortars, or just Slam forever because it only takes 5 cards per turn to make Slam free and if you keep drawing into it...

Razakai posted:

Thanks for the comment. One class I'd say is 90% done - there's a few talents that need replacing, and it shares one category with new necromancer which I'm swapping as there's some unexpected overpowered synergies resulting.
The other needs more work as it's ludicrously complicated. Which is often part of my classes but this one is just excessive.
And of course then they'll both be sent to one of the other developers to cut all the numbers in 1/2 cause I'm bad at balance.

I've always had an idea for summoning stuff that Darkgod seemed interested in but I had no idea how to code it so it didn't go anywhere.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 25, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rift Wizard weekly beta patch: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/2971794942827990402

Lots of new items! Aether Dagger in particular looks like it'll help alleviate specialist builds getting stonewalled by certain realm configurations. Also happy to see the shield changes, I'd been lightly griping for a bit that the individual shields didn't really feel impactful outside Physical and Dark shields.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rift Wizard weekly beta patch: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1271280/announcements/detail/2971794942827990402

Lots of new items! Aether Dagger in particular looks like it'll help alleviate specialist builds getting stonewalled by certain realm configurations. Also happy to see the shield changes, I'd been lightly griping for a bit that the individual shields didn't really feel impactful outside Physical and Dark shields.

i love all of these except Draught of Memories, which is just a mess of perverse incentives and tedium that you'll put up with because "basically as good as getting 2-3 circles in relevant schools" is that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

death to magic find %, death to bonus XP