Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some more rats

You paint better at that scale than I could ever hope to at 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Aranan posted:

Testing on the underside makes a ton of sense. There are a bunch of boils there that I could try it out on.

I was thinking I kind of wanted the spots to stand out and break up the giant mass of green, but I'll be sure to make sure they're not too distracting first. Good call.

Pale white with a gross ring of red / purple would pop pretty well against that greenish yellow tone, imo. I've seen a lot of Maggotkin paintjobs that go that route:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Floppychop posted:

You paint better at that scale than I could ever hope to at 28mm.

well thanks!

i recently made a wet palette, which has been extremely helpful. was just too lazy to make one earlier

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Id:I WANT EVERY MODEL EVER
Superego: You can't buy any new models when you haven't even painted ONE ork, ffs.
Ego: Solution -- paint 1 ork

I know I want to brighten up the eyes and maybe the leather on his chest, and drybrush the orange of the base some.

I know I don't like the black on the base and I don't know why; is it not matte enough? Is there a better color? I'm also kind of dissatisfied with the blue on his chainsaw things; I'm wondering if maybe painting the teeth more goldish would be better?

Otherwise I'm basically happy with this.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The blue on the axe needs another coat - it's too transparent right now, which is why it doesn't look "right".

The highlighting on the face also doesn't match the highlighting on the arm - right now it looks like you have a light source above and to the left of the model, but the face shows light coming from the right. Add some highlighting to the front and left of the face and it should even everything out.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone have a suggestion for painting metals, specifically steel/iron, without metallic paints? There's tons of NMM tutorials out there, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm more thinking a subdued metal color like it would be in a cartoon or comic book.

edit: My blood bowl goblin at the top of the previous page is my weak attempt so far.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Floppychop posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for painting metals, specifically steel/iron, without metallic paints? There's tons of NMM tutorials out there, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm more thinking a subdued metal color like it would be in a cartoon or comic book.

Various shades of grey with lighter grey and white highlights, to represent the metal reflecting some light?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Floppychop posted:

edit: My blood bowl goblin at the top of the previous page is my weak attempt so far.

hmmm...

you can make any color look metallic by having high contrast dark and light. for a comic book look, check out the silver surfer

you'll need parallel white/black lines going along the contours of your metal object. the actual color of the object is not super important, but for steel you can't go wrong with a blue-gray or a brown-gray

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

chin up everything sucks posted:

The blue on the axe needs another coat - it's too transparent right now, which is why it doesn't look "right".

The highlighting on the face also doesn't match the highlighting on the arm - right now it looks like you have a light source above and to the left of the model, but the face shows light coming from the right. Add some highlighting to the front and left of the face and it should even everything out.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I made myself an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my paint and their colors. It was a good way to do something painting adjacent when I didn't have the brain mode to do any actual painting.
I copied over all the information from the bottles and use firefox's eye-dropper tool to get the color's hex-decimal value from images of the paint's color, which is how I got the nice example colors in the left-hand column.
I tried sorting the colors by hexdecimal value, but I'm not sure if thats the best way to then organize the actual colors in my list.

Here is a screenshot with the list sorted by hexdecimal value on the left, and the original list that is just in the order of bottles I picked up on the right.

So, first, does anyone know a good way to organize these? should I organize them by color group (reds with reds, greens with greens, etc)? Also, when I sort the colors a bunch of the colors look way different, like the hull-red. Is that any sort of color output changing from excel or just my brain processing it different since suddenly its dark next to dark, without contrast?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i have mine organized by Warm Colors in one drawer, Cold colors in another, and then anything black/white/grey/brown or metallic goes in another.

But a general good idea is Black/Brown ROYGBIV metals

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I realized what WW2 painting has done to me when I was going to bring my browns to the club for a basing session.... and realized that I had put half my paints in that box.

WW2 truly is 50 shades of brown.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shiet, the only spreadsheet I have is an inventory of my paints so I know which ones I have and don't have. But I might do something like that at some point in the future.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Shiet, the only spreadsheet I have is an inventory of my paints so I know which ones I have and don't have. But I might do something like that at some point in the future.

Honestly taking inventory is half the process. The other process is getting all the hexdecimal values, which wasn't too tedious and made for good work for podcast time. The eye-dropper tool in firefox is accessed via the hamburger menu -> more tools. I'm not 100% on the current version of firefox though so it might be different. Maybe its in the developer tools.

Here is a full screenshot of my spreadsheet if you want to copy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
PaintRack

PaintRack

PaintRack

It's an Android app that does this, and someone else did all the work.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dexefiend posted:

PaintRack

PaintRack

PaintRack

its this

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hmmm...

you can make any color look metallic by having high contrast dark and light. for a comic book look, check out the silver surfer

you'll need parallel white/black lines going along the contours of your metal object. the actual color of the object is not super important, but for steel you can't go wrong with a blue-gray or a brown-gray

I might try searching for more pictures of swords or whatever in comics. That should probably help. Silver Surfer always felt "off" to me in comic art. Like he wasn't living metal but instead something else.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
November was a busy month for me. Managed to get 9 Marvel models painted!

Cassandra Nova

Omega Red

Toad

Mr. Sinister

Magneto

Domino

Cable

Jean Grey

She-Hulk

And a group shot of all the MCP stuff so far!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dexefiend posted:

PaintRack

PaintRack

PaintRack

I use Brushrage which does a similar thing. Can mostly just scan the barcodes to import.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Floppychop posted:

You probably still want to use some of the techniques for NMM for this. What I'd do is remove the emphasis on reflection that a lot of NMM guides use, and stick to single blended gradients, with white or high-value edge and specular highlights.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Floppychop posted:

Your goblin has an almost cell-shaded look, so maybe poke around in that space and see if anything looks right? Off the top of my head and at risk of recommending anime, if you're looking for a cartoon / animated style, you could probably pull a lot of reference images from stills of Full Metal Alchemist, which seems like maybe the art style you're looking for?

As mentioned above, you're still going to be using a lot of basic NMM techniques, but it seems like you're looking for a flatter / more planar style than the realistic transitions and larger tonal range that most NMM will be doing.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some more rats

How do you find doing nmm at that scale? Take it there's less futzing with blends but i could be wrong

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Zuul the Cat posted:

And a group shot of all the MCP stuff so far!

I love the MCP minis but gently caress me the prices per mini is rough.

Yours look great though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This Central American-esque Thousand Sons Infernal Master was a lot of fun to paint

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

working mom posted:

How do you find doing nmm at that scale? Take it there's less futzing with blends

you are correct. when i first started trying out NMM on 28mm it was a real struggle. it was a lot less frustrating to learn on 15mm minis

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

I painted this dude just in time for the decorations to go up. My painting is pretty messy up close but to be honest I couldn’t see what I was doing at this scale anyway. It was pretty fun and made a nice change from necrons.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Your goblin has an almost cell-shaded look, so maybe poke around in that space and see if anything looks right? Off the top of my head and at risk of recommending anime, if you're looking for a cartoon / animated style, you could probably pull a lot of reference images from stills of Full Metal Alchemist, which seems like maybe the art style you're looking for?

As mentioned above, you're still going to be using a lot of basic NMM techniques, but it seems like you're looking for a flatter / more planar style than the realistic transitions and larger tonal range that most NMM will be doing.

I was aiming more for borderlands style, but that's drat close, especially for the metal. I'll have to go searching for some more stills of Alphonse.

My brain works in mysterious ways, mainly completely forgetting every possible source that I personally know that could be used as a reference material.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
After several years completely inactive in painting, I've decided to mash the giant red "back to basics" button on my kit.
I bought the giant 216-paint Reaper box set a few years ago and just... barely touched it. Now I want to get it out of my apartment in advance of a move, in exchange for a nominal donation to charity.

If you're in Seattle (this thing is probably more trouble to ship than it's worth), please take a look at my SA-Mart listing. If you really want me to ship it... drop me a PM and we'll talk.

I return you to all your cool and colorful minis and hope you I'll be able to join you again in 2022.

Fake Edit: There's a 2014 Dragons Don't Share Bones diorama, too. Thing's huge.
Fake Edit 2: I asked Leperflesh how to handle this; this seemed like the best way!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Floppychop posted:

I was aiming more for borderlands style, but that's drat close, especially for the metal. I'll have to go searching for some more stills of Alphonse.

What you’re looking for is what digital artists call “Stylized Textures” or “cartoon textures”. There are tons of tutorial on how to get that look in photoshop, with some work you can probably adapt the techniques to acrylic paints.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Managed to finish vampire lord for my undeads. I'm pretty happy with results considering that painting metals without metallic paints is so out of my comfort zone.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haven’t seen anyone talk about army painter speedpaint range in here but drat they look like a gamechanger - potentially nicer to work with than contrast paints (from an admittedly very small sample set of colours) and half the price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHTeFwcKE9A

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

haven’t seen anyone talk about army painter speedpaint range in here but drat they look like a gamechanger - potentially nicer to work with than contrast paints (from an admittedly very small sample set of colours) and half the price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHTeFwcKE9A

I think the Announcement video got posted ITT but since they're not on the shelf yet probably not a whole lot to talk about. But clearly they're in the hands of YouTubers! I haven't seen any of my usual channels talk about 'em yet though.

As she said, cheaper Contrast paints sounds :krad:

e; okay actually finished watching the video now. I think I prefer the results of the Army Painter stuff in all 3 tests she did. I wanna see the Purple, because Contrast Purples suck butts

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 3, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they look - to me at least - like they also might be actually better for beginners because they’re a bit less tricky to apply? it took a lot of practice before i could apply a smooth coat of flesh tearers red to anything that wasn’t all roughly textured (i am a very bad painter though)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

working on a small scene. ive covered over the foam in spackle to serve as snow. I want to make footprints for the children as well as the Krampus. For shadowing those, should I use a blue wash or a black wash? the children's footprints in particular will be really small so I want to ensure they are legible.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

working on a small scene. ive covered over the foam in spackle to serve as snow. I want to make footprints for the children as well as the Krampus. For shadowing those, should I use a blue wash or a black wash? the children's footprints in particular will be really small so I want to ensure they are legible.

I'd say blue would work best for shading holes in snow

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Still need to do the basing but I'm pretty proud of this Flesh Tearers captain.

edit-- gently caress I just realized I didn't paint the eyes lol

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 3, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Chunkystyle posted:

Managed to finish vampire lord for my undeads. I'm pretty happy with results considering that painting metals without metallic paints is so out of my comfort zone.

The armour looks incredible. Great job!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Painted a Daemon Prince for my Death Guard.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

didnt end up doing any shading on the foot-holes. they ended up too delicate. i think theyre pretty legible anyway

happy holidays everyone. thanks for being a great thread full of talented helpful people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking into learning more about Weathering and so on, anything you guys suggest?